Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2011, 04:11 AM   #241
SCExpat
Ex-expat

Oddometer: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
This is a road I really need to ride I'll have to remeber this one. Looks like an amazing ride.
I was waiting for you to get down to Brazil and do a little ride with you but I see your trip got cut short. When you do come back it is well worth the time and effort to ride those roads. There is also a huge canyon with a dirt road around it that I have not made. I think it is in Santa Catarina. I am sure someone on here knows about it and can post some more info.

Cheers
SCExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:37 AM   #242
mirantesMT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Serra do Rio do Rastro...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCExpat View Post
When do you want to go???
Mike, Been thinking about it and it might just be possible that Maryel and me come down there for a couple of days in the coming weeks... I'll let you know... I certainly cannot let you go back to the US without a last BEER

Take care.
mirantesMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:43 AM   #243
SCExpat
Ex-expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirantesMT View Post
Mike, Been thinking about it and it might just be possible that Maryel and me come down there for a couple of days in the coming weeks... I'll let you know... I certainly cannot let you go back to the US without a last BEER

Take care.
Better make it quick if you want to ride Rio do Rastro. It was quite cold up top around Urubici and a few signs warned about ice on the road! Winter is getting here quick. If not now.....we will be in Rio for 3 weeks (the wife wants 4+) in September so sometime then for sure or can do here and there.

What is this "last beer". My fridge is full and there does not appear to be any shortage.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:07 AM   #244
arqui
Dreamer

Oddometer: 10
Hi
I.m from Portugal and i would like to know if there are some backup team for hire for the rally dos Sertões in quad.

thank you

Obrigado
Old 06-15-2011, 01:18 PM   #245
DonPatrick
2 cervezas por favor

Oddometer: 49
Thanks @SCExpat!
We will try to contact them in Brazil. Just got invited to a biker rally in outside Santiago on Saturday, supposedly with more than 400 bikers! Sweet....!

2009 Honda Repsol 4RT - Trial!
2008 Suzuki DL650 - Wee!
DonPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:46 AM   #246
mirantesMT
Adventurer

I meant: having a last beer with you before taking off... I'm sure your fridge hasn't got any shortage

I'm thinking about coming over in the next couple of weeks... Is your phone number still the same?

Take care
Raf

Quote:
Better make it quick if you want to ride Rio do Rastro. It was quite cold up top around Urubici and a few signs warned about ice on the road! Winter is getting here quick. If not now.....we will be in Rio for 3 weeks (the wife wants 4+) in September so sometime then for sure or can do here and there.

What is this "last beer". My fridge is full and there does not appear to be any shortage.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:57 AM   #247
SCExpat
Ex-expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirantesMT View Post
I meant: having a last beer with you before taking off... I'm sure your fridge hasn't got any shortage

I'm thinking about coming over in the next couple of weeks... Is your phone number still the same?

Take care
Raf
Same phone number. Already have a couple of offers on my bike. Kind of hoping it takes a little longer since we have been having some decent weather here. Went for a ride with Mario Sunday.
From MC Rides

Found a great little spot for lunch.
From MC Rides

Ended up riding the new road they are building for the new shipping port in Itapoa. Some nice new paved sections and some dirt covered in rocks the size of golf balls (I hate that) and a few sections of mud. Not the road we wanted to ride back on but still a good ride.

Big holiday this week and will be a lot of people on the road so.....I am staying home. The worst ride of my life was coming home at night, in the rain after a big weekend. You know how they drive here.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:55 PM   #248
Robson Jaborá/SC
Brazilian Adventurer...

Oddometer: 577
Jaborá, SC - Brasil
Robson Jaborá/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:45 PM   #249
mirantesMT
Adventurer

Quote:
Same phone number. Already have a couple of offers on my bike. Kind of hoping it takes a little longer since we have been having some decent weather here. Went for a ride with Mario Sunday.
Mike, good to hear you're able to do some more riding before the big move back north... We did our first organized group ride last weekend, and it was great stuff. 500 km and 75% of dirt roads. It was sunny and dry, so perfect for riding dirt. The "clients" were 3 guys from Barra de Tijuca (2 gringo's (1 Turk, 1 dutch) and 1 Brazilian, all working for Shell). I'll put a ride report on ADVrider shortly, but here are a few pics :

Mirantes Mototravel Weekend Trip by raf_kiss, on Flickr

Mantiqueira Mountains - Brazil by raf_kiss, on Flickr

The Turkish guy summarized it like this: "Man, I'm as happy as a pig in shit right now..." I couldn't have said it better

I'll call you one of these days.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:14 PM   #250
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,672
Ola, I am in Buenos Aires and would like to get my visa for Brasil this week.

Have there been any recent changes to the requirements for US citizens??

Trying to avoid any surprises at the consulate.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:12 AM   #251
mirantesMT
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
Ola, I am in Buenos Aires and would like to get my visa for Brasil this week.

Have there been any recent changes to the requirements for US citizens??

Trying to avoid any surprises at the consulate.
This is what I found on the "bureau of consular affairs" website... Looks pretty much the same as a few years ago.
Cheers and welcome to stop by in Volta Redonda on your way north... Vinnie (Crashmaster) did

Grts & ride safe.

Raf

ENTRY / EXIT REQUIREMENTS: Brazil requires U.S. citizens to carry a valid U.S. passport and a visa when traveling to Brazil for any purpose. You must obtain your Brazilian visa in advance from the Brazilian Embassy or consulate nearest to your place of residence. There are no "airport visas" and immigration authorities will refuse entry to Brazil to anyone not possessing a valid visa. The U.S. Government cannot assist travelers who arrive in Brazil without proper documentation.
Travelers under 18 years of age and their parents should carefully review the visa application requirements for the consular post at which they are applying. The adjudicating official may require a birth certificate and notarized travel authorization.
Travelers are subject to local law. Showing contempt to a Brazilian government official at the port of entry, or elsewhere, is a serious offense. Fines for such offenses are based on the offender’s claimed income.

Additionally, if you have recently visited certain countries, including most other Latin American countries (check Brazilian Embassy website linked below), you may be required to present an inoculation card indicating you had a yellow fever inoculation or you may not be allowed to board the plane or enter the country.

Visit the web site of the Brazilian Embassy in Washington, D.C. for the most current visa information.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:49 AM   #252
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,979
FWIW, I went through a bunch of trouble to get another yellow fever shot in Uruguay since I had lost my yellow fever card somewhere along the way. But, when I crossed at Foz de Iguaçu they never even looked at it. Might be different at another border.

Also, when you cross into Brazil remember that they have speed cameras. Shit loads of them, everywhere. There will be signs warning you that they are coming up, but I forget what the signs say, something in Russian I think. Raf can tell you. He was sure that they were going to throw me in the clink when I tried to leave the country.

Also, from the FWIW department...... If you ride right on the center line or on the shoulder the camera will probably not get a photo of your license plate. I was told this by many Brazilian riders. Also, when I exited the country at the fazenda, they said nothing to me about speeding tickets. But I left Brazil via Oiapoque, out in the sticks on the border with French Guiana. I have heard of foreign riders getting tagged for tickets while leaving Brazil for Argentina and Uruguay, but I have no first hand knowledge of that, FWIW.

crashmaster screwed with this post 07-12-2011 at 02:47 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:35 PM   #253
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,672
Thanks Raf, Vinnie.

I have a shot card I'm carrying with me. Haven't needed it yet.

I expect I'll get some tickets if they have photo radar as I'm just not capable of riding slow. If the speed limits are reasonable then maybe not. I will most likely go back to Bolivia from Brasil so if they can get record of my tickets to that outpost then so be it.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:43 PM   #254
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,979
A reasonable speed limit? Never have I seen one of those in my entire life.

You will be wondering why everyone in Brasil drives so slow. Its because speeding is outrageously expensive. Ask Raf. Dont worry too much about it. Best thing you can do is stay on the centerline or shoulder when you are going past a camera. From all accounts, it takes about 4 to 6 weeks to get the photo and speeding ticket processed into the system. I doubt very much they will have the information at the Fazenda on the Bolivia border.

Just from Iguaçu to Curitiba there will be around 100 cameras, maybe more. You will for sure pass thousands of speed cameras in your time there. Another thing you can do is look for a speed camera alert file for the TRC gps maps of Brasil, if you even care to. I think they even have one on the TRC-tracksource site.

Over beers I roughly calculated that I have $1,733,483.79 of tickets in Brasil.

I've seen moto couriers in SP actually throw a magnet over their plate. Big fine if you get busted though.

Dont worry about it, you will probably be OK.

crashmaster screwed with this post 07-12-2011 at 02:59 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:23 AM   #255
mirantesMT
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
There will be signs warning you that they are coming up, but I forget what the signs say, something in Russian I think.
Ok... Here goes: FISCALIZACÃO ELETRÔNICA. Now what's Russian about that?

Hey Vince, I did a post on my blog about those funny things brazilians say (type "Pingie Pongie"...). Take a look, I think you'll love it.

Off to work in a few days huh? I feel for you buddy... Chin up, it's for a good cause