Old 10-05-2010, 03:50 PM   #46
mirantesMT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linhares
Raf,

do you know the Clube XT600 forum?
It is a brazilian ADV rider forum in portuguese. Very useful to get info about the XT660.
And one of its sponsors is a web shop. I've bough some products from they. You can find the carter protector there.

Abraços,
Linhares
Thanks again Linhares... All the people on here are very helpful, but that is something that is in the genes of the Brazilian people. You are such a fantastic people. In the almost two years I'm living here, I have been in lots of crappy situations, with my bikes, with my jeep... but there is ALWAYS someone that will help you.

The links are great... I think I will find everything I need on there. I'll probably put handprotectors and cavalete central on my XT's as well.

Grtz and take care
Raf
mirantesMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:52 PM   #47
mirantesMT
Adventurer

Actually... I have another question...

about these Antenna corta pipa that I see on many bikes... Is there some kind of law or obligation to put it on, or is it free to put it or not? And would you guys recommend it? I have traveled several 10.000's of km's here and haven't had any problems wit corda de pipa (yet)

And on top of that, this antenna really takes down the "cool" factor of the bike, no?

Cheers
Raf
Old 10-05-2010, 04:42 PM   #48
rodrigo1985
Adding Dust Layers

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirantesMT
about these Antenna corta pipa that I see on many bikes... Is there some kind of law or obligation to put it on, or is it free to put it or not? And would you guys recommend it? I have traveled several 10.000's of km's here and haven't had any problems wit corda de pipa (yet)

And on top of that, this antenna really takes down the "cool" factor of the bike, no?

Cheers
Raf
Hi Raf (is your name? sorry to ask just checking/2 avoid mistakes!;)

i not sure if have a law i guess not ,free to put, and i see only in SP and Rio the necessity of use the antennas , because is normal see kids with pipas inside these cities. about the "cooler factor" , i vote in without antenna. for me , this is my opinion , i should use a damn good balaclava. Not see much dangerous pipas in parana, i not see yet. i hope not!. (i dont have a balaclava!)

PS: On your business , you have a attendent that speaks portuguese or english on phone calls?

Rodrigo
rodrigo1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:12 AM   #49
mirantesMT
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrigo1985
Hi Raf (is your name? sorry to ask just checking/2 avoid mistakes!;)

i not sure if have a law i guess not ,free to put, and i see only in SP and Rio the necessity of use the antennas , because is normal see kids with pipas inside these cities. about the "cooler factor" , i vote in without antenna. for me , this is my opinion , i should use a damn good balaclava. Not see much dangerous pipas in parana, i not see yet. i hope not!. (i dont have a balaclava!)

PS: On your business , you have a attendent that speaks portuguese or english on phone calls?

Rodrigo
Oi Rodrigo - yes Raf is my name (short for Raphael). People have been calling me that since I was 9...
Yeah, lots of kids playing with pipas here, and lots of times dangerously close to the road... I have heard some stories about guys getting their throats cut open by the cordas... I agree with you that a balaclave can help, but to be wearing that in the Brazilian temperatures

My business is just starting and I'm hoping to attract clients mainly from Europe and USA... I think most of my business will be done via internet. Bookings online and communication via email. I'm looking at possibilities to work with online adventure travel agencies around the world etc... And if it's really necessary, my wife is Brazilian and used to be an english teacher, so she can handle the phone for me

So where did you learn your ingles? It's pretty good... with a brazilian accent
Old 10-06-2010, 06:49 AM   #50
Fernando Costa
Contemplator

Oddometer: 120
Quote:

Cheers
Raf
Raf,

To be on the safe side it is better to use the bloody antennaes. The danger is that many kids (and grownups) paste the kite´s string with ?ground glass? (vidro moido) so they can cut someone else´s string, it´s a sort of competition among them.

If that reaches your neck, you´re in deep trouble; once a string cut a guy´s visor and went right to his eyes, he was lucky to not become blind, but he was seriously wounded.

Having said all that, I don´t use antennaes in my bikes but should do so.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:39 AM   #51
Chip Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,782
Antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando Costa
Raf,

To be on the safe side it is better to use the bloody antennaes. The danger is that many kids (and grownups) paste the kite´s string with ?ground glass? (vidro moido) so they can cut someone else´s string, it´s a sort of competition among them.

If that reaches your neck, you´re in deep trouble; once a string cut a guy´s visor and went right to his eyes, he was lucky to not become blind, but he was seriously wounded.

Having said all that, I don´t use antennaes in my bikes but should do so.
What are we looking at here? Strings across the road to snare riders?
I guess I do not see what you are discussing?
Chip Seal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:53 AM   #52
Fernando Costa
Contemplator

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Seal
What are we looking at here? Strings across the road to snare riders?
I guess I do not see what you are discussing?
Sorry for my poor English. What I meant to say is that some people in Brazil (and other countries), when flying kites, they glue a sort of paste made of ground glass (called cerol here) to the string . They then use this string to cut someone else´s kitestring when several people are flying kites close to each other; of course it is illegal here but people do it all the time.

The danger lies when, accidentally, these strings find their way into someone´s helmet or neck.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:35 PM   #53
Chip Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,782
Ok

Thank you.
Interesting hazard.
I just need to visit your country and see how beautiful it is!

Perhaps I will not fly a kite!

Chip Seal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:19 PM   #54
Linhares OP
OSM addicted

Oddometer: 234
Feriadao

So,

who is planning to ride in this extended weekend?
Linhares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:01 AM   #55
rodrigo1985
Adding Dust Layers

Quote:

. I agree with you that a balaclave can help, but to be wearing that in the Brazilian temperatures

So where did you learn your ingles? It's pretty good... with a brazilian accent
Hi Raf ! well , here in south of brazil temperatures are more nicer than in rio , there is so hot! i went from brasilia some months ago , wow , there is dry and hot! here is more colder , average temps are on 20 celcius , balaclavas are common on road trips.

I self learned english. i have a shop and i sell and fix computers. my open my shop 5 years ago , but i have contact with computers since 6 years old. (actually i´m 25). i figure out that i need to learn , i started with dictionaries. On april of this year i meet mike , mario and jake on our first meeting of ADVRider , in guaraqueçaba, and they talk english , a big push to keep leaning.

Rodrigo
Old 10-07-2010, 05:07 AM   #56
rodrigo1985
Adding Dust Layers

Invitation for november

Hey guys i want to make an invitation for everyone!

http://www.brazilriders.com.br/index...d=30&Itemid=91

Is from a motogroup called Brazil Riders. Will have a huge meeting in Iguassu Falls. Maybe we can set our 2nd ADV Meeting there?? (ok we still need to find dirt roads )

I think that we can go to Argentina, explore some cities and comeback to Brazil , spend a nice wknd...

Pls post your impressions about this

Rodrigo
Old 10-07-2010, 07:00 AM   #57
mirantesMT
Adventurer

Quote:
Hi Raf ! well , here in south of brazil temperatures are more nicer than in rio , there is so hot! i went from brasilia some months ago , wow , there is dry and hot! here is more colder , average temps are on 20 celcius , balaclavas are common on road trips.

I self learned english. i have a shop and i sell and fix computers. my open my shop 5 years ago , but i have contact with computers since 6 years old. (actually i´m 25). i figure out that i need to learn , i started with dictionaries. On april of this year i meet mike , mario and jake on our first meeting of ADVRider , in guaraqueçaba, and they talk english , a big push to keep leaning.

Rodrigo
Yeah, I know it's a little cooler down there. I visited Curitiba and Ilha do Mel in Jan. 2008. (actually, that trip made me fall in love with Brazil and changed my mind about moving to Africa )
Personally, I loooove the calor around here, and I would even move further north (to Bahia or so). Coming from Belgium where 80% of the time it's cold and rainy, Brazil is paradise. For me, being able to go outdoors the whole year and do some mountain biking, swimming, trekking, and of course motorcycling is a major plus.
Well, I see you're someone who is motivated and can achieve a lot in life... So many people - even Brazilians - are telling me that people here are lazy... I have seen the opposite lots of times already.
Grtz
Raf
Old 10-07-2010, 07:04 AM   #58
mirantesMT
Adventurer

Quote:
Hey guys i want to make an invitation for everyone!

http://www.brazilriders.com.br/index...d=30&Itemid=91

Is from a motogroup called Brazil Riders. Will have a huge meeting in Iguassu Falls. Maybe we can set our 2nd ADV Meeting there?? (ok we still need to find dirt roads )

I think that we can go to Argentina, explore some cities and comeback to Brazil , spend a nice wknd...

Pls post your impressions about this

Rodrigo
Sounds fabulous... I would love to meet some other Brazilian ADVriders.
Visiting the falls has been on my to-do list for quite some time now, and this seems like the perfect opportunity. Also to check out some other places in the south...
Thanks for the invite...
Raf
Old 10-07-2010, 07:16 AM   #59
mirantesMT
Adventurer

iguassu falls...

Rodrigo,
Do we need to be a member of this Brazil riders club or is it free as well?
do I need special documents as a gringo to get into Argentina?

Thx
Old 10-07-2010, 09:10 AM   #60
rodrigo1985
Adding Dust Layers

Quote:
Rodrigo,
Do we need to be a member of this Brazil riders club or is it free as well?
do I need special documents as a gringo to get into Argentina?

Thx

Hi!

Is not necessary , if you want to do all the schedule is best do a subscription , pay 50 reais , and like you see on invitation you receive some stuff ( t-shirt , can enjoy a dinner on saturday...)

My plan is avoid formalities , go to Iguassu Falls , meet with my friends of BRRiders , and make my own schedule . IF i meet with other ADVRiders , we can arrange something to do or to visit , make our own weekend.

One thing that i pretend to do is ride on Argentina to know some cities if possible , this is new territory for me.

Lets keep talking! I hope you and all ADVRiders on Brazil can go.

Rodrigo