Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-30-2014, 07:04 PM   #1
ktmaha OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
GPS apps for Samsung Galaxie S4???

Looking for an app for my S4 for dual sporting in WA. Forrest service roads and trails if possible. I am new to the 'smart phone' thing so am totally clueless. Have been using Green Trail maps. Don't want to lay out a course but just be able to see where I am and where to go when I need to. Will be out of cel service most of the time. Is this possible? I have heard both Yes and No. Thanks.
ktmaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:16 PM   #2
DaMonk45
I B Da Monk

Oddometer: 187
No you do NOT need cell service as long as you have a GPS in your phone or tablet.

ohgood will be along shortly to answer your questions.

he is da man when it comes to this stuff.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:53 PM   #3
ktmaha OP
n00b

That is what I was reading on some other sites, no cel service needed. I don't plan on mounting phone, it will be in jacket or pack. Just a safety measure, only have a 3.4 gallon tank
Old 10-30-2014, 08:09 PM   #4
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,289
Read through this thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=945386

it might be better to start at the end and read toward the beginning.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:15 AM   #5
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 1,061
I have used an S4 since they came out as my GPS. Before that, I used an S3. I use a RAM finger grip mount. I usually use OSMand+ for mapping. It works well out of cell tower range if you download the maps. No idea if the OSM maps cover what you want though.
With the right 1 amp or more charger, the S4 will charge and run the GPS at the same time.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:20 AM   #6
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmaha View Post
Looking for an app for my S4 for dual sporting in WA. Forrest service roads and trails if possible. I am new to the 'smart phone' thing so am totally clueless. Have been using Green Trail maps. Don't want to lay out a course but just be able to see where I am and where to go when I need to. Will be out of cel service most of the time. Is this possible? I have heard both Yes and No. Thanks.
no, cell service is not needed.

forest circus (oops, it may not be a circus where you live) ... ok, forest service roads might be a really well covered and documented service in your area. if you just want to see it on a map, check out

maprika- it has the ability to georeference PDF maps, and most likely other people have already made georeferenced pdf's and shared them via maprika's web sharing. georeferenced pdf's are like digital maps, on your phone, that you can track yourself on and pinpoint your location.

locus/free/pro- overwelming abiliities to track/route/guide/waypoint/googlesearch/locate/convert/share/export and basically everything you never realized was possible, on a map. this one is a monster of features, but you can also use KMZ overlays (scan a map or use a maps' jpeg image) ON TOP OF other digital maps like google topo/roads/satellite/whatever to help compare where you are to what the trails systems show is legal/possible.

osmand- more oriented to road navgation, but very well done, and rebuilt nightly (google osmand nightlies) with very frequent updates of both vector maps and the app itself.

oruxmaps- second only to locus, this is another very feature rich offline mapping application that has a myriad of options you may like to have available.

brouter (the helper app) - if you want to do offline navigation (route) building, you'll need this for orux and locus, as they don't build ON ROAD routes on their own.

also see:
dualsportmaps - AWESOME, but google broke his (also AWESOME) website interfaces :(
maverick - not as feature packed, but some folks like it
backcountrynavigator - similar to maverick but more features and ARCGIS map subscriptions are realllllllllly pretty maps. if the interface got a rework, it would compete with locus/orux much better.

make sure you check out the KMZ/KML functionality of google earth on your pc too. you can use the overlays of your scanned/imported forest circus (oops, bad habit!) service maps in google earth to show boundaries and stuff. then export it right to your phone and display it in locus/orux.

for trails, check out:
everytrail.com
gpsies.com

and just google around. if you can get the trail/trailsystem in a gpx, you can display it on your phone. it's really neat to find 'jeep trail' labeled on an old topo map, then go explore it.

have fun :)
Old 11-03-2014, 11:49 AM   #7
ktmaha OP
n00b

thanks, will do some playing around and see if I can figure out how to make it work.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:22 AM   #8
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
osmand- more oriented to road navgation, but very well done, and rebuilt nightly (google osmand nightlies) with very frequent updates of both vector maps and the app itself.
I have been using OSMand+ from the Google Play store. A few days back they made some significant interface changes. I noticed a new versions, (version 1.9.3g) so I went ahead and grabbed it. It is missing a LOT of features.
So I had to uninstall and grab a nightly build.
Lesson learned. Don't always blindly grab an upgrade.
The new OSMand+ interface looks good, but still needs some tweaking.
Old 11-28-2014, 01:38 PM   #9
chuck4788
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I use Backcountry Navigator Pro on my smartphone, it uses a variety of topo maps, and hybrid maps. I use US Forest Service enhanced photo topo maps.
chuck4788 is offline   Reply With Quote