Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2014, 06:40 AM   #1
duggram OP
-getting busy living

Oddometer: 121
Will iPad Mini over heat in a tank bag?

If you are a Mini user do you have any experience with this?

I use my Mini with an inReach Explorer and just got a tank bag to use on my WR which I plan to put my camera and Mini in. If I run a charging line into the bag (Battery Minder USB) for the Mini what kind of problems will I run into with over heating?
2008 1125 Buell (former track bike)
duggram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:08 AM   #2
Gerg
Cupcake

Oddometer: 8,383
Not exactly but close. My iPhone overheated in my tankbag in 90 degree heat. I put a white sheet of paper in the map pocket and problem went away. Without the paper it was like a greenhouse.

Gerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:29 AM   #3
NewToMe
safety 3rd

Oddometer: 1,045
I made a plea to Giant Loop to make the top of their bags white instead of black for this reason. My iPhone always overheats in my bag.
NewToMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:25 PM   #4
mpatch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,024
inside the tank bag you'll be fine but in the map pocket it will overheat in direct sunlight.
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:18 AM   #5
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,877
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by duggram View Post
If you are a Mini user do you have any experience with this?

I use my Mini with an inReach Explorer and just got a tank bag to use on my WR which I plan to put my camera and Mini in. If I run a charging line into the bag (Battery Minder USB) for the Mini what kind of problems will I run into with over heating?
if you can't set your navigation software to turn the screen off when it isn't needed (turn on before a turn), then turn it off manually, and back on when unsure of the next turn.

just turning off the display saves a HUGE amount of cpu cycles, battery life, and reduces heat tremendously. the gps uses very little battery by itself, and if you set AIRPLANE mode to on, the cellular antennae won't be burning your battery (or heating up) up either.

give it a shot in the software settings first, then try it manuually if you can't in the software. you might just triple your battery life and no longer have worry of overheating.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:38 PM   #6
duggram OP
-getting busy living

Oddometer: 121
Now I do keep it in my back pack on the WR or in my pannier on the STenere. I don't feel a need to stare at the screen to see my every move. I am working on a shade/mount for the ST which on that bike with more charging power it seems appropriate to leave it out in it's Lifeproof case (it lives full time in there because I've already replaced it once for a broken screen). But on the WR in the bottom part of tank bag I'll be able to get to it quick.

The only reason I can see to leave it on is that Explorer shows every reporting point that way. Turn the screen off and the Bluetooth disconnects. But it does reconnect fast and shows your current position. If I'm on a route that I created it's simple to navigate. And if I'm exploring it's still easy to see where you are, where you want to go, ....

Bottom line is that my plan won't cause the iPad to over heat.
2008 1125 Buell (former track bike)
duggram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:59 PM   #7
disheveled
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Yes the ipad mini will overheat in your tank bag and shut off. Tried this last summer and lasted about 10 minutes before it shut down so now I'm looking for a gps
Good luck!
disheveled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:32 PM   #8
Flounder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Yes. I fried my iPhone in less than 30 minutes in my GL Fandango bag. As in crispy. Ruhnt.
Flounder is online now   Reply With Quote