ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 65 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 11-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #46
daveinoh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Plan route in google maps and send it to GPS

Finally found an application that will allow me to plan a turn by turn, back road by back road route in google maps and transfer it to my GPS. Tried it out tonight and it works great. Now if only I hadn't discovered it at the tail end of the riding season.

Here is the link and info, works for most TomTom and Garmin units.

http://www.janboersma.nl/gett/index.php

Page says it is for the TomTom Rider (approx $600.00 US) but it works just fine on my old XL 330 (approx $95.00 US)
The Toad Goeth East http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729961
daveinoh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:16 PM   #47
TRZ Charlie OP
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 15,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinoh View Post
Finally found an application that will allow me to plan a turn by turn, back road by back road route in google maps and transfer it to my GPS. Tried it out tonight and it works great. Now if only I hadn't discovered it at the tail end of the riding season.

Here is the link and info, works for most TomTom and Garmin units.

http://www.janboersma.nl/gett/index.php

Page says it is for the TomTom Rider (approx $600.00 US) but it works just fine on my old XL 330 (approx $95.00 US)
Thanks Dave. It's listed on the index page already under the heading of:

Gpx/Google Maps Mashups The following Web sites allow you to plot your GPX data on a Web map:

I personally found it to be hard to use but that may be a reflection on the status of my inteligence....lol
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:52 AM   #48
TooSlow4U
2 Wheel Wonder Rider

Oddometer: 1,072
Garmin Question...

I have been using the Garmin NUVI 1490 for a few months now and downloaded the Garmin MapSource to use on my work laptop (Windows XP) at the tail end of last year. Now, at home, I am now trying to get this new machine (Windows7) set up to accomplish the same tasks as far as making routes, etc... When I went to update the map for both the Garmin unit & the PC simultaneously, what I ended up with was something called Garmin BaseCamp. I have been trying to figure this all out to find what I've done wrong somewhere along the way... Is the BaseCamp software something new to replace MapSource? I've done some playing with it and it appears to do most everything that I used to do in MapSource but not everything. Any thoughts on what happened, or did I just download something wrong and ended up with the wrong program?

TooSlow4U is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:11 PM   #49
Billy_b57
DARTH

Oddometer: 125
conversion's

I have a Nuvi 550 , I have downloaded the WINGDB3 application and Garmins training center application. ( on my laptop) It is recently purchased new.
I have some tracks that I want to upload to the device .
I NEED HELP!
Call me stupid but I can't seem to get any information to the device.
Lets be honest I need basic information to help me get this done.

Thanks,

http://www.oregondualsportrentalandadventures.com/ Your next adventure begins with Us!
Billy_b57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #50
TRZ Charlie OP
That's MR. Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_b57 View Post
I have a Nuvi 550 , I have downloaded the WINGDB3 application and Garmins training center application. ( on my laptop) It is recently purchased new.
I have some tracks that I want to upload to the device .
I NEED HELP!
Call me stupid but I can't seem to get any information to the device.
Lets be honest I need basic information to help me get this done.

Thanks,
You need a full copy of MapSource or BaseCamp first. To get Mapsource follow these STEPS.

Alternatively you can install BaseCamp by following the instructions HERE.

Then read the MapSource Tutorials found HERE and you should be good to go.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:28 AM   #51
chuckycheese
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Understanding waypoints

Hello, I took the time and effort to search through the tutorials but was unable to find are resolve to my current problem. Let me first say that I am new to Routing, Waypoints, Tracking and whatever else that has to do with GPS features.
I recently purchased a Garmin 660 for my motorcycle, I found a great magazin that had 880 plus different routes that are supposedly uploadable to my garmin. After a few days of messing around with the garmin, updating to lifetime maps ect.. I decided to download a route that was around 320+ km, the route succesfully downloaded as a GPX file to my harddrve and I then copied the file to my POI folder as instructed by Garmin. I disconnected the USB cable and the garmin booted up. The unit (Garmin) found the new route and asked me if I wanted to "add" it, of course I said yes and the next screen I get is and error that tells me the route is to large. I did some research and found that the Garmin can only accept routes that have a maximum of 250 WAYPOINTS.

That is where I am at, I am still stuck at this issue. I have tried to remove the waypoints in Mapsource but then it appears to modify the route. I need to get the waypoints down to 250 but still keep the same route. Can someone please explain how this is done?

Sorry if I sound naive but to be quite honest I have no idea how this all works right now and it will take time to learn it all.

Thanks,
Chuckycheese
chuckycheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:12 AM   #52
DrLewall
Banned

Oddometer: 32,121
Chucky..I will inform Drzcharlie of you dilemma and it will probably be first of next week before he gets a chance to reply back to you, he is out of town until then. Sorry I can't help you as I and not too familiar with waypoint usage. Hopefully he will be able to assist you.
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:15 AM   #53
chuckycheese
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
Chucky..I will inform Drzcharlie of you dilemma and it will probably be first of next week before he gets a chance to reply back to you, he is out of town until then. Sorry I can't help you as I and not too familiar with waypoint usage. Hopefully he will be able to assist you.
Thank you... I am leaving on the 4th of June for a 7,000 km trip and purchased the new Garmin 660 for that purpose. I would like to also import routes but if they have to many waypoints I can't even open them... just trying to figure this all out...

Thanks again..
Chuckycheese
chuckycheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:14 AM   #54
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckycheese View Post
Thank you... I am leaving on the 4th of June for a 7,000 km trip and purchased the new Garmin 660 for that purpose. I would like to also import routes but if they have to many waypoints I can't even open them... just trying to figure this all out...

Thanks again..
Chuckycheese
you can use winGDB to break up the routes into smaller sections and control the number of points in route.
LifeSong
BKMLWR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:38 PM   #55
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 24,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckycheese View Post
Hello, I took the time and effort to search through the tutorials but was unable to find are resolve to my current problem. Let me first say that I am new to Routing, Waypoints, Tracking and whatever else that has to do with GPS features.
I recently purchased a Garmin 660 for my motorcycle, I found a great magazin that had 880 plus different routes that are supposedly uploadable to my garmin. After a few days of messing around with the garmin, updating to lifetime maps ect.. I decided to download a route that was around 320+ km, the route succesfully downloaded as a GPX file to my harddrve and I then copied the file to my POI folder as instructed by Garmin. I disconnected the USB cable and the garmin booted up. The unit (Garmin) found the new route and asked me if I wanted to "add" it, of course I said yes and the next screen I get is and error that tells me the route is to large. I did some research and found that the Garmin can only accept routes that have a maximum of 250 WAYPOINTS.

That is where I am at, I am still stuck at this issue. I have tried to remove the waypoints in Mapsource but then it appears to modify the route. I need to get the waypoints down to 250 but still keep the same route. Can someone please explain how this is done?

Sorry if I sound naive but to be quite honest I have no idea how this all works right now and it will take time to learn it all.

Thanks,
Chuckycheese
Do you have mapsource installed on your computer? If so:
after opening the file in mapsource, right-click the track in question.
select properties
there you click on the "filter" button.

that will bring you to a pop up that you can lower the number of waypoints in your route. you can tell it to "show a maximum" of 150 points and then click ok. that will recalculate your route with the lowered waypoints. Now you can save your file as a GPX(you can overide the file or rename it something else) then re upload it into your GPS.

Hope that helps.

PS. this procedure of minimizing your waypoints can also be done easily with WINGDB3
Old 06-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #56
ValpoFz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Is there a simple way to take a route and break it up into smaller routes? I have looked through the tutorials, and downloaded wingdb and looked around that. I dont want to remove waypoints or via points, I want to break cannonshots routes for the CDT into smaller routs that my Nuvi 550 can handle.
ValpoFz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #57
TRZ Charlie OP
That's MR. Asshole

If you use wingdb3 and filter it to 200 via points it will break the track into track segments (each 200 pts long). Then you can rename them in order. Such as:

Day 1 track 1
Day 1 track 2
Day 1 track 3
Day 2 track 1
Old 06-26-2012, 01:40 PM   #58
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie View Post
If you use wingdb3 and filter it to 200 via points it will break the track into track segments (each 200 pts long)

Wow! I wish I had known about this utility sooner.
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:59 PM   #59
ValpoFz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie View Post
If you use wingdb3 and filter it to 200 via points it will break the track into track segments (each 200 pts long). Then you can rename them in order. Such as:

Day 1 track 1
Day 1 track 2
Day 1 track 3
Day 2 track 1

For an Army guy your OK! Just kidding, I really appreciate the help.
ValpoFz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:31 PM   #60
DrLewall
Banned

Oddometer: 32,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValpoFz View Post
For an Army guy your OK! Just kidding, I really appreciate the help.
Careful! If you are too nice to him, he will try and become your friend..ask me how I know this
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote