ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 65 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #61
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,102
Reducing to 20 tracks 500 track points

I have basecamp with Citynav maps and a 60csx. I imported a set of tracks from an inmate, but it covers a few states. It's on my computer, so now I was to transfer it to my GPS. It obviously exceeds the 20X500

How do I convert a long set of tracks that I acquired to the 20X500 format size limit my required by my GPS? Can I just transfer it to my GPS and the instrument does it automatically?

Thanks
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:42 PM   #62
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,935
The unit will certainly truncate long tracks and stop accepting new ones after the max of 20 is exceeded.

I use a number of relatively labor-intensive solutions.

If the tracks are longer than 500 points, you can filter them down to 500.

If you have more than 20 tracks you can break them into groups and only download the ones you need for a given ride. I will sometimes need more than the 20 max for a very long ride. I just carry a notebook computer with me and download newer tracks as I need them.

Or you can concatenate tracks to get the number down. Then you will probably have to filter again. Sometimes I have a short track that is an option during the day, but it counts as a track. So what I do is make a track that goes out and back and paste it into the main track for that segment.

Another method is to create a direct route for some of the tracks. I do this manually by just creating a route in Topos and creating a finely spaced set of via points. You can have lots of these routes, but in order to use one you have to go into the route menu and select it for navigation.

I don't if WinGDB3 will convert tracks to direct routes in a desirable fashion.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:59 PM   #63
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Truncated means the gps only accepts the data limit, right?

How do I filter to the 500 points so I can transfer it? How do I break it down to the number of tracks? Can I do this on Basecamp?

Example: Cannonshot gave us access to his CDR tracks. They were already broken down into some 15 tracks of 500 trackpoints so for me it was plug and play.

The tracks I acquired are not broken down. They look like BigDog's CDR.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
The unit will certainly truncate long tracks and stop accepting new ones after the max of 20 is exceeded.

I use a number of relatively labor-intensive solutions.

If the tracks are longer than 500 points, you can filter them down to 500.

If you have more than 20 tracks you can break them into groups and only download the ones you need for a given ride. I will sometimes need more than the 20 max for a very long ride. I just carry a notebook computer with me and download newer tracks as I need them.

Or you can concatenate tracks to get the number down. Then you will probably have to filter again. Sometimes I have a short track that is an option during the day, but it counts as a track. So what I do is make a track that goes out and back and paste it into the main track for that segment.

Another method is to create a direct route for some of the tracks. I do this manually by just creating a route in Topos and creating a finely spaced set of via points. You can have lots of these routes, but in order to use one you have to go into the route menu and select it for navigation.

I don't if WinGDB3 will convert tracks to direct routes in a desirable fashion.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:18 PM   #64
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
I have basecamp with Citynav maps and a 60csx. I imported a set of tracks from an inmate, but it covers a few states. It's on my computer, so now I was to transfer it to my GPS. It obviously exceeds the 20X500

How do I convert a long set of tracks that I acquired to the 20X500 format size limit my required by my GPS? Can I just transfer it to my GPS and the instrument does it automatically?

Thanks

This is on the previous page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie View Post
If you use wingdb3 and filter it to 200 via points it will break the track into track segments (each 200 pts long). Then you can rename them in order. Such as:

Day 1 track 1
Day 1 track 2
Day 1 track 3
Day 2 track 1
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #65
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Nearly all my experience is with Mapsource. I am not a Basecamp guru. But I think to filter the track you double click on it. This will open a window with a list of track points. Somewhere in this window there should be a button lablelled Filter. Push it and you will get another window that lets you pick how many points to filter to. Pick 500. You will actually get a few less

Removing tracks is trivial in Mapsource. You just select the ones you don't want and then save the file with a new name. I would guess in Basecamp you could remove unwanted tracks and export the list to a gdb file. You might be able to make a copy and rename it.

Then when you get a list with a valid number of tracks and number of points per track you can Send it to the unit.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #66
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
Nearly all my experience is with Mapsource. I am not a Basecamp guru. But I think to filter the track you double click on it. This will open a window with a list of track points. Somewhere in this window there should be a button lablelled Filter. Push it and you will get another window that lets you pick how many points to filter to. Pick 500. You will actually get a few less

Removing tracks is trivial in Mapsource. You just select the ones you don't want and then save the file with a new name. I would guess in Basecamp you could remove unwanted tracks and export the list to a gdb file. You might be able to make a copy and rename it.

Then when you get a list with a valid number of tracks and number of points per track you can Send it to the unit.
Thanks
Old 07-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #67
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Truncated means the gps only accepts the data limit, right?

How do I filter to the 500 points so I can transfer it?

How do I break it down to the number of tracks? Can I do this on Basecamp? Thanks
Truncated means that you tried to send more track points in a track than it will hold, it did not accept the excess.

If this is for a very long trip, you should first try to cut the tracks you have into the number of tracks your GPS will hold loke 20 tracks for 60/76. Then if they exceed 500 points each, filter each one down to <500 points.

Because the new 62/78/etc hold tracks of 2000 points each, I now only post my Active Logs on GPSXchange.com and users must cut/filter to fit their unit.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:52 AM   #68
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
The 62/78 series allows up to 200 named stored tracks, each with up to 10,000 points. The 60Cx had a maximum track point capacity for all tracks of 10,000 points, and a maximum of 20 stored tracks, each with no more than 500 points.

A track 10 miles long with 500 points is less detailed, in shape, than a 1 mile track with 500 points. Filtering a long track will reduce its detail. Cutting up the track will reduce the total number of track points without significantly affecting the track shape.

In Basecamp you can right click on the track then select 'Properties'. A window will open, shown on the left of the window are index numbers, these are your track points. Double click on one, then slide the window aside and you'll see an orange circle around the point. You can use the 'Divide' tool to chop the track up into any number of track points you want. You can remove track points using the 'Delete' key. You can scroll up or down the list of points and watch the orange circle move along the track.

daryl

dlh62c screwed with this post 07-11-2012 at 05:44 AM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:16 AM   #69
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Got my curiosity piqued about Basecamp. I checked and you can convert tracks into Direct Routes. I had it create a via point at every track point for a short track. The option is in the properties window. This is a slightly undesirable way of effectively increasing the number of tracks you can have on a 60.

However on the screen it put a blue flag at every via point. This would be very undesirable on the unit.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #70
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

I can't seem to find a properties button. My Basecamp is for Mac and I think it's not working properly. I should be able to double click on list and a properies window should pop up. I undersand that I can edit or filter the list with that.

The tracks I was trying to size was actually an elaborate route with some tracks sections. But I tried double clicking on one of my proven tracks and that doesn't work either. Maybe I need to plug my GPS into my Mac to get the properties window.

I click on the help button, and it says I need an internet connection, even though I am connected!

Sheesh
Old 07-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #71
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Just an update. Tony Huegel converted the route to a 20X500 series of tracks using WinGDB3. Did it in a few minutes! Looks like I'm plug-and-play with that trip. Now I have to figure the other problems I'm having. Probably just me, though. This one is for September. Pony Express trail is the prime objective, but more then that. I'll only have about 9 days... :(

Tony is backcountrybyways.com

He writes adventure travel books, but also rides a KLR and created some of the best tours on advrider.com. Anyways, he fixed me up so now I have to study my paper maps carefully to see exactly what forest and farm roads this route follows!

Thanks Tony!
Old 12-28-2012, 06:37 AM   #72
seniorasi
Banned

Oddometer: 816
Thank you!

Awesome thread!
seniorasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:18 PM   #73
bkg123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by seniorasi View Post
Awesome thread!
Awesome indeed. I learned a lot in this thread.
bkg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:36 AM   #74
Chris 690R
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
New to GPS, just ordered a Garmin Montana and want to know if/how to load routes and tracks on your computer then download to the GPS?
Chris 690R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:20 AM   #75
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 690R View Post
New to GPS, just ordered a Garmin Montana and want to know if/how to load routes and tracks on your computer then download to the GPS?
Chris, short version: Create your route or track in BaseCamp (free from Garmin) or if it is one that someone gave you, open it in BaseCamp, and there is a button you click to push it to the GPS unit.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote