Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2010, 02:22 PM   #31
LoCoMatt
Busy

Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reebuiler
Stationary is fine for me.... not like I wanted to pedal around a 300 pound bike anyway.
This is really cool! Keep up the good work! With 20+ more hp than the original and 5 speeds, I wouldn't worry about pedaling it either, but I'd definitely be putting some thought into how I'm going to stop it!
LoCoMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:30 PM   #32
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,349
You sir, are amazing. Definition of AMAZING : causing amazement, great wonder, or surprise
1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:33 PM   #33
Jinx
Call me Renzo

Oddometer: 10,838
Looks like (at least some) Merkels just had a lug on either side of the open slot at the top...and then ran a bolt between the lugs to close off the open end. Of course, if you over-tighten everything it could lock the forks solid, so maybe a nice shoulder bolt was the way to go

"You remind me of the monkey with the jerk-off button, starving to death at the switch." - Chopperman

"I didn't know how many assholes it was going to take to piss me off, but I knew how many they were going to use" - collaboratori
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:36 PM   #34
Carl

Oddometer: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymindsok
Hey!

I really admire you guys who appear to know what you doing and tackle projects that the rest of us can only dream about.
mymindsok,

"..who appear to know what you doing...."
How nice of you.

take a better look at what he is doing. the word 'appear' just does not fit in this thread.

This project he is doing is spot ON!

Carl

Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:46 PM   #35
Rebuilder OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx
Looks like (at least some) Merkels just had a lug on either side of the open slot...and then ran a bolt between the lugs to close off the open end. Of course, if you over-tighten everything it could lock the forks solid, so maybe a nice shoulder bolt was the way to go

That's the ticket right there. Keep it simple. That 1950's R51/3 is way too tech for me (although thanks for the link).
Rebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:54 PM   #36
r50us68
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Have you see the scissor dampeners that have run on the front of old Castle forks? appears these might be well within your skills.
r50us68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:04 PM   #37
Rebuilder OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl
mymindsok,

How nice of you.

take a better look at what he is doing. the word 'appear' just does not fit in this thread.

Carl
He got it right, I just appear to know what I'm doing. Time will tell if I really know.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:15 PM   #38
Carl

Oddometer: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebuilder
He got it right, I just appear to know what I'm doing. Time will tell if I really know.
You're having fun, you're building and you're so pleasant w/ the peanut gallery. Wow!

I've spent lots of time bending, forming and joining tubing. This is a fun thread.

I'm curious to see how that powerplant pans out. Your intent to also make the powerplant blend w/ the chassis design will be interesting. Have you started that phase of the build? Or are you going to wait to see what ideas flow at that point of the project?

Carl

Carl screwed with this post 09-13-2010 at 03:29 PM
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:36 PM   #39
Rebuilder OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by r50us68
Have you see the scissor dampeners that have run on the front of old Castle forks? appears these might be well within your skills.
I've thought about that but the original didn't have anything (visible anyway). I have notice during mock up that since there are no holes in the lower tubes, and it's such a precise fit, the trapped air sort of works as and air dampener. Add grease to further seal it and I may not need anything else. Or it may just not work at all.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:54 PM   #40
Rebuilder OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
You're having fun, you're building and you're so pleasant w/ the peanut gallery. Wow!

I've spent lots of time bending, forming and joining tubing. This is a fun thread.

I'm curious to see how that powerplant pans out. Your intent to also make the powerplant blend w/ the chassis design will be interesting. Have you started that phase of the build? Or are you going to wait to see what ideas flow at that point of the project?

Carl
Like I said this is my first build like this and my first thread so I'm enjoying it. I like hearing peoples input.... especially if they Really know what they're doing.

I just started mounting the motor and it actually looks pretty good. I decided to mount it so the cylinder is straight up instead of angled forward like original. It's only about 5 degree and it being a dry sump oil system I don't forsee any problems.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:45 PM   #41
Carrizojim
Still stumblin along

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by knary
Let's see, the old Merkel single was good for what? [ insert google search ] 3.5 hp.

The XT500 made a claimed 27hp (?).

Should be interesting.

More like 33hp with giant truckloads of torque... there will be wheelies...
I've had two of them, 90mph stock...
Old 09-13-2010, 07:08 PM   #42
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 6,483
danedg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:31 PM   #43
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,301
Quote:
mymindsok,

How nice of you.

Carl
What.... So you think I'm Damning with faint praise or would you prefer that I thought with your brain?

Read a little further before jumping in my shit please!

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:52 PM   #44
dlrides
1:1.618

Oddometer: 5,330
Here's an idea !!!!

Why don't ALL of you quit trying to spec the engine, suggest how to blend, suggest what is within his skills, etc, etc, etc.

Rebuilder has more skills and vision than most of the "I stayed at Holiday Inn Express last night" types combined.

Let him build the damn bike ........ watch, listen, and you may learn something !

Or ................... continue mucking up the thread until he stops sharing the build. Then you can return to your insecure life thinking you know it all.

Sounds like a bunch of crusty old farts yelling at kids to get of trhe lawn !

This is the exact reason I'll never do another build thread !
Old 09-13-2010, 08:10 PM   #45
knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlrides
Why don't ALL of you quit trying to spec the engine, suggest how to blend, suggest what is within his skills, etc, etc, etc.

Rebuilder has more skills and vision than most of the "I stayed at Holiday Inn Express last night" types combined.

Let him build the damn bike ........ watch, listen, and you may learn something !

Or ................... continue mucking up the thread until he stops sharing the build. Then you can return to your insecure life thinking you know it all.

Sounds like a bunch of crusty old farts yelling at kids to get of trhe lawn !

This is the exact reason I'll never do another build thread !

nah

Lots of people oohing and ahhing with a little jibber jabber. We're children and this isn't a lecture hall.

Awesome build. It's inspiring to see somebody doing such a thing. Most people can't fathom how a house is built, let alone something of steel.

I do wonder what the limitations will be on a machine like this - flex in that slender tube frame and so on. Those limitations should in no way whatsoever impede its production. Just wondering.

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is online now   Reply With Quote