User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2010, 09:39 PM   #1
The PacRat OP
I'm that other guy

Oddometer: 2,579
Curious - Burgman 400

I was wondering if some BurgieFan could answer a few basic questions about the 400?

1) Bike weight?

2) Top speed?

3) Average MPGs?

4) Stable in crosswinds? Buffeting on the freeway much?

5) Okay for 6'3" rider?

6) How much crap can you stuff in the trunk?

7) Maintenance?

8) Any years to avoid?

9) Known issues?

10) Why do you love it?

Just interested in info on the 400 right now - THANKS
Old 09-11-2010, 10:09 PM   #2
leewildwater
rrrrRide Man rrrrRide

Oddometer: 392
Get one asap. I have a '05

I am 6'2" and 240#

Buy a givi tall windscreen if over 6'. The givi reduces buffering and gives more hand protection

plenty of trunk space but I added a ghetto milk crate to the back of mine along with saddlebags and I got a buncha buncha room.

I got it ride worthy after it caught fire over a year ago. Battery bolt came loose and arch ignited gas fumes while re-fueling. It was something like this
It looks like hell but I ride it all the time and I DO NOT worry about how it looks, as long as it goes. Got rid of some of the tupperware plastic, mostly the bottom and that has made servicing it much easier. Not that it took that much.

Gets 50-60 mpg and I twist it pretty hard and is heavily loaded.

I have 20k miles, no problems except the fire. Do a tune up bout once year to check valves and oil change using Mobil 1 throw in a new plug. I go on gravel roads a fair bit with it so check/clean air filter often.

Have gone thru one set brake pads about 3-4 rear tires and a couple fronts. No other items replaced, but I do have an extra drive belt in the truck.

Handles great in the WNC mountains and have embrassed more than one sportbike riders. I much perfer the 400 over the 650. Light is right, nimble is better than bulkier and Blue Ridge Parkyway, twisty roads, and back roads are so much more fun on the 400 than a 650 on a interstate slab.

Watch craigslist and ebay. Easy to find big savings on used ones. Seems a lot of older folks get them and then lose interest or think they need something bigger. I got mine a couple years old with only 1,500 miles and pristine condition.

Get one soon sums it up
Old 09-11-2010, 10:14 PM   #3
White Tenere
Look a moose

Oddometer: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by leewildwater
I have 20k miles, no problems except the fire.

Thats got to be one of the best quote's....EVER!!
White Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:23 AM   #4
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
1) Around 474 pounds

2) In between 95 and 105 mph

3) 50-65 mpg

4) Very stable do to heavy weight

5) It should be fine.

6) There is big storage under the seat and even more in the glovebox, plus you can buy a rear trunk.

7) Pretty low.

8) Not in particular.

9) No major problems I know of.

10) They are awesome, get better fuel economy than the 650, and have great acceleration and are fine on the freeway.
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:05 AM   #5
emmettken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,903
9) known issues
The only issue I know of is clutch squeal and vibration on some,not all, 400s. you can go here and research it.http://burgmanusa.com/forums/search....s&fid%5B%5D=47.
I really like my 400. Very comfortable,lots of storage,feels light, good in the twisties or interstate. Lots of smiles!
emmettken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:33 AM   #6
tumbleweed40
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by leewildwater
Get one asap. I have a '05

I am 6'2" and 240#

Buy a givi tall windscreen if over 6'. The givi reduces buffering and gives more hand protection

plenty of trunk space but I added a ghetto milk crate to the back of mine along with saddlebags and I got a buncha buncha room.

I got it ride worthy after it caught fire over a year ago. Battery bolt came loose and arch ignited gas fumes while re-fueling. It was something like this
It looks like hell but I ride it all the time and I DO NOT worry about how it looks, as long as it goes. Got rid of some of the tupperware plastic, mostly the bottom and that has made servicing it much easier. Not that it took that much.

Gets 50-60 mpg and I twist it pretty hard and is heavily loaded.

I have 20k miles, no problems except the fire. Do a tune up bout once year to check valves and oil change using Mobil 1 throw in a new plug. I go on gravel roads a fair bit with it so check/clean air filter often.

Have gone thru one set brake pads about 3-4 rear tires and a couple fronts. No other items replaced, but I do have an extra drive belt in the truck.

Handles great in the WNC mountains and have embrassed more than one sportbike riders. I much perfer the 400 over the 650. Light is right, nimble is better than bulkier and Blue Ridge Parkyway, twisty roads, and back roads are so much more fun on the 400 than a 650 on a interstate slab.

Watch craigslist and ebay. Easy to find big savings on used ones. Seems a lot of older folks get them and then lose interest or think they need something bigger. I got mine a couple years old with only 1,500 miles and pristine condition.

Get one soon sums it up
can you post a photo?
tumbleweed40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:34 PM   #7
The PacRat OP
I'm that other guy

I hear they have the biggest storage available - can someone post a pic of the trunk?
Old 09-14-2010, 09:23 AM   #8
emmettken
Beastly Adventurer

More space behind the beer.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:51 AM   #9
The PacRat OP
I'm that other guy

That's COOL Emmettken -

My current ride is an old Pacific Coast. Though I am interested in other bikes (always) there is NO WAY I would buy another bike that didn't have a good sized trunk.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:21 PM   #10
777arkrider
Confused and jet-lagged

Oddometer: 7
I recently bought a silver 2009 Burgman 400 and really enjoy riding it. To me, it is the (almost) perfect, do anything, two wheeled commuter or recreational bike. It is the Kawasaki Ninja 250 of the scooter world. It will cruise all day at 70 mph+, I consistantly get 68 mpg, is light and reasonably flickable on the twisties and is just a real blast to go out and just do hassle free riding. It has a very comfortable riding position and I can ride all day without feeling beat up. (I am 5'10" and weigh 165 lbs with a 30" inseam).
It has excellent underseat storage, excellent fit and finish, and would provide many enjoyable trouble free miles.
I test rode many motorcycles and maxi-scooters before I chose the Burgman 400 including the Burgman 650. There was always at least one defect that helped eliminate all my other choices. For example, the Yamaha Majesty was excellent to me in just about every area except its MPG is lower than the the Burgman by quite a bit at about 50 MPG. The Kymco Xciting 500 was a strong bike but for me was uncomfortable. Its seat was hard and it didn't fit my body with a high seating position and little leg room and has a dificult to read instruments and an unusable gas gauge. The Tmax was a blast to ride but had very little storage and the price vs. benefit didn't make sense. I quickly eliminated almost all the 250cc scooters because to me, they felt too small and lacked power for riding cross country (just my opinion, there are exceptions).
There are many motorcycles that outperform the Burgman 400 in almost every way but I had to chose one or the other and went with the Burgman 400 and I am very happy with that and have no regrets.
777arkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:38 AM   #11
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 8,014
27k km on our Burger 400...mostly two up.

Only problems have been a cracked exhaust header, (speed bump in a parking lot), and a worn out rear tire stopped us for a few days one time.

The Bridgestone last was better than the Avon's I bought the last time.

The tire probably wouldn't have been a big problem, but we were in the middle of nowhere.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262142
Old 09-16-2010, 11:41 AM   #12
spiritus
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by advtek
That's COOL Emmettken -

My current ride is an old Pacific Coast. Though I am interested in other bikes (always) there is NO WAY I would buy another bike that didn't have a good sized trunk.

Awesome space!
spiritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:18 PM   #13
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,181
You guys with Burgman 400s- Have any of you owned smaller (150-300 cc) scooters?

I ask because the Burgman seems like a great maxi scooter, but at 474 pounds it's a hefty son of a gun. Do you feel like you've traded off all the urban mobility of a smaller vespa size scooter to get the benefits of the larger size? Do you use these to commute or are they joy ride machines?

In other words I could see a Burgman replacing my BMW for most things, but I'm not sure it would work as a replacement for my scooter. Thoughts?

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:29 PM   #14
The PacRat OP
I'm that other guy

I get the feeling that those who ride Maxis are trading down from motorcycles to gain the practicality of a scooter.

In my case I'd be thinking, "ALLRIGHT! This Burgman is 200lbs LESS than my Pacific Coast!"

My Reflex was downright TINY. (even thought it really is a pretty bike scoot)
Old 09-17-2010, 09:21 AM   #15
emmettken
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears
You guys with Burgman 400s- Have any of you owned smaller (150-300 cc) scooters?

I ask because the Burgman seems like a great maxi scooter, but at 474 pounds it's a hefty son of a gun. Do you feel like you've traded off all the urban mobility of a smaller vespa size scooter to get the benefits of the larger size? Do you use these to commute or are they joy ride machines?

In other words I could see a Burgman replacing my BMW for most things, but I'm not sure it would work as a replacement for my scooter. Thoughts?
You should go test ride a Burgman 400. They do not feel heavy. All their weight, motor and gas tank, are down low. My last 2 rides were duel sport bikes. A Kawasaki KLR 650 and a BMW R100GSPD. With their big tanks they felt top heavy. I'm retired. I use my Burgman 400 for around town, twisty mountain highways, freeway, what ever. I've had smaller motorcycles but not scooters. I've been watching for a good deal on a smaller scoot just cause they look like so much fun,but I would keep my Burgman.