User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2010, 10:41 AM   #16
777arkrider
Confused and jet-lagged

Oddometer: 7
Wink

I had a Kymco 200S before I had the Burgman. The Kymco was a great scooter and would make a nearly perfect urban commuter. If all you did was in town, under 50 mph than it would make a great little commuter. I live in the Pacific Northwest, on a tiny island (connects to the mainland by a bridge) and have to ride 25 miles to get to the next town. Most of the roads are 50 mph or higher and the little Kymco could get up to 60 but it was at full throttle and the wind blast from other cars and trucks really blew you around. So for me, the larger scooters made more sense. I love motorcycles but the maxiscooter is more practical for me. My Burgman also gets 68 mpg at 70 mph and the little Kymco got 65 at 55 mph. The Kymco was a lot easier to move around in the garage and parking lots so I have learned to work around the weight issue and it really isn't a problem.
I was considering a 250cc sized scooter until a test rode some and the Burgman is a better fit for me and the type of riding I do.
777arkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:45 AM   #17
GoO2
n00b

Oddometer: 8
I have 5 bikes. An old Maxim x, Concours, KLR, and 2 scoots a Aprilia Scarabeo 150 and a Burgman 400S. Each is so unique.

The beo 150 is a full sized scoot. Has motorcycle sized tires, (I have a 30" inseam and can't flat foot it),is a lighter bike, has a stock high performance rotax 150cc that will cruise all day at 60mph (tops at about 70 under the right conditions, GPS).

Now the Burg 400 is a sweet scoot (both scoots are my wife's, but I like to drive them to). My Son and I just did a 3.2K tour (1 week), me on the connie and him on the burg. We would do it again. It would cruise at any speeds asked. We tried to stay on 2 lane but a few times had to hop on the super slab, worst section being I 76/80 heading east out of Denver traffic flows at 80mph, no problems. Scoot tops out at about 100mph, although acceleration is slow from 70mph up. Did the mountains with no problems. Elevations up to around 12K. My son is 6' @185lbs and bike was loaded with gear on top and trunk was loaded. The trunk is great on this bike. Holds a ton.

I don't think there are any major issues with any years. The speedo has a plastic "gear" the separates by the hub. Easily fixed with superglue or a new one that costs about 15$ and takes about 30" to fix. But the 07's on are a little bit more improved (refined). My 06 (like all pre 07s) have on the maintenance schedule for the valves to be adjusted every 3k I believe. A little labor intensive, but not hard at, all even with a little knowledge. Would be expensive if you drove it allot and followed there recommendation and took it to the shop to have it done. Most people have tripled the milage distance between adjustments with no problems. The 07 and beyond has a larger gap between adjustments. Tires on the 07 and up are bigger which is a plus although the smaller ones on my 06 didn't bother me at all, thought it might. The milage averaged from about 55mpg at about 75mph to 70mpg averaging 60mph . Around town usually around 60-65mpg. This thing handles great, low center of gravity very nimble. My son outrides me in the twistes with this thing.
GoO2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:06 PM   #18
MQracing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
I have several motorcycles in my stables. If (by the force of some malevolent spirit) I had to choose just one bike to keep it would most likely be the Burg 400.

Though no where near as capable of the break neck speeds of my 955i nor can it compete with the Uly XT in terms of storage room--- but the Burg 400 does everything so well--- great for in town (big urban area) as well as comfortable on the highway.

It's got the right combination of weight, power, storage, low maintenance, and ease of riding that IMO makes it perhaps the best buy I've ever done with respect to motorbikes.

I don't get nearly the mileage others claim (mine's a K7) and I have to nurse it a bit on the highway to get my best mileage to date of 63 mpg. But I probably twist the throttle too quickly, too often

And it's fun (I know I shouldn't do this) to frustrate any number of sport bikes from stoplight to stoplight in the city. This thing positively scoots off the line in a hurry if you twist the go-go enough.

Great, great bike. Wouldn't want to be without it.
1984 Moto Guzzi V65SP
1963 SHL M11 Lux

MQracing screwed with this post 09-19-2010 at 08:29 PM
MQracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:48 PM   #19
Coopdway
Curiouser

Oddometer: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by MQracing
I have several motorcycles in my stables. If (by the force of some malevolent spirit) I had to choose just one bike to keep it would most likely be the Burg 400.
Kindred spirits...and I don't even have one. I consider my Helix to be ~90% of what MQr values in his Burgman and since I still do have other things in the garage, I'm going to get away with continuing to say it.

If I had to boil them all down to one, it would be a 400 Burgie. It was the afore mentioned mileage that made me strongly consider the Helix and finally sent me that way. Now if there were a 300 Burgie.......no contest.
-----------------------------
Coop's Corner
Coopdway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:43 PM   #20
jesionowski
Chicagoland Burgman

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears
You guys with Burgman 400s- Have any of you owned smaller (150-300 cc) scooters?

I ask because the Burgman seems like a great maxi scooter, but at 474 pounds it's a hefty son of a gun. Do you feel like you've traded off all the urban mobility of a smaller vespa size scooter to get the benefits of the larger size? Do you use these to commute or are they joy ride machines?

In other words I could see a Burgman replacing my BMW for most things, but I'm not sure it would work as a replacement for my scooter. Thoughts?
I have a Honda Shadow 750, A Burgman 400K7, and a Kymco Agility 125. I am trying to sell the Honda, And I could see the Burgman as my only bike someday, but the Agility 125 is just so easy for running errands...have a top case. I also have complete confidence in taking the Burgman on a 500 mile day and just pounding it all day long. The heavy weight of the burgman can sneak up on you because its so well balance you do forget it is almost 500lbs. My used Burgman and new Kymco set me back a total of just under 6k so why not have both.
jesionowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:26 AM   #21
Bubba Satori
Finding my way home

Oddometer: 42,086
How is the Burgman for exploring gravel or dirt roads?
No narly routes, just unpaved.
Bubba Satori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:59 PM   #22
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 809
I'm not a fan of riding our Burgman on gravel roads but its okay. We have a short stretch of gravel/hard pack road when we're up at the family home in Colorado and it doesn't have any problem. Seasonally open roads (Colorado, graded when first opened then ignored until the end of the season) are doable but not much fun later after a couple months. I just prefer a shorter wheelbase like our Aprillia SportsCity if I'm going to be on non-paved roads.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote