User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2004, 04:18 PM   #1
Alchemist OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
Matching Engine and Frame Numbers

How important do you guys think this is. On Brit bikes in particular they seem all over the place. Less so on European.

I have traced down a R69S but the engine was totally unusable apparently so its been replaced by another. I am checking engine and frame numbers and since I want to restore it and keep it for a long time I personally don't mind....but then again its a badge of authenticity

Do others have a view.
Alchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 04:56 PM   #2
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,301
if you want to just have a rider, it's overrated, but use it as a bargaining tool to lower the price.
some folks will swear by matching numbers, but they're investors, not riders
Old 12-08-2004, 05:10 PM   #3
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,165
No idea what it is like down under but motorcycle theft and part'n them out has become enough of an issue in Calif that it is very difficult to register a bike without matching numbers. Yes; they inspect and check numbers on every used bike that is registered.
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 05:28 PM   #4
Frank Warner
Traveller

Oddometer: 6,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad
Yes; they inspect and check numbers on every used bike that is registered.
They do that 'ere too. One of the tricks is to import one stolen overseas - not on our data base. And export our stolen ones to ewes.

---
If the motor was "was totally unusable" it should still be sitting somewheres. Is it avalible together with the bike? If you get the matching numbers engine as well then if someone really cares they can waste their money gettin the thing fixed.
Frank Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 06:36 PM   #5
Team Dennis
Certified Troublemaker

Oddometer: 4,537
72 Norton matching engine/trans/frame #'s
73 Ducati 350 (all orig) No matching #'s
1975 CB400f (all orig) engine/frame # off by one digit

Team Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 08:42 PM   #6
Alchemist OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Warner
If the motor was "was totally unusable" it should still be sitting somewheres. Is it avalible together with the bike? If you get the matching numbers engine as well then if someone really cares they can waste their money gettin the thing fixed.
yes this question has been asked. Waiting for a reply. Seems to me that if the current engine works, I ride the bike while restoring said original engine...then replace into frame etc

sell "usuable" engine or keep for parts

nice comments on the stolen stuff I'll keep in mind. The bike is actually in the US so I will need to be careful and try and get a trusted soul to inspect.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:04 PM   #7
Frank Warner
Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist
yes this question has been asked. Waiting for a reply. Seems to me that if the current engine works, I ride the bike while restoring said original engine...then replace into frame etc
No, keep ridin on the motor that is in there. You don't care. When it comes time to sell swap motors? Sell second motor then - possibly with bike depending on prices.

seeya sat, I'll probably bring the LT as I've just put a 'new' muffler on the K75G/S and have not tested it legal like. Don't need any extra hassels on the putty. The muffler is off a duck, nice note and sounds to me quiter than the one that was on the bike.. but that was a friggin loud muffler - not tested .. but way too loud.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:55 AM   #8
Chopperman
I am dead

Oddometer: 27,033
Depends on your needs/desires and the laws. Some places will make it difficult if you have mismatched numbers. SO check that out. Some bikes dont have numbers stamped in the frame but on a data plate affixed to the frame. That can make things easy if you can match those. But other than that it is largely an issue for the flat cap concourse freaks. Because some stamping on older bikes is pretty crude, you can alter a motor of the correct vintage to match the frame and then destroy the original block. But that would be illegal and if botched could get sticky.

in wa state at least I ave found the DOL franchisers to be helpful if you explain the situation and ask what needs to be done.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:19 AM   #9
Ostrich
Jaded and Happy

Oddometer: 8,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad
No idea what it is like down under but motorcycle theft and part'n them out has become enough of an issue in Calif that it is very difficult to register a bike without matching numbers. Yes; they inspect and check numbers on every used bike that is registered.
If you go to a dealership not every bike from the factory has a matching engine and frame number. Usually they are registered together as belonging to that one particular bike. I had a bike with a salvaged title with different frame/engine number. The DMV wasn't concerned the least bit when I registered it.

Check with your local DMV or whatever they call it on your side of the pond. It should not be a problem.

Just because it's a zoo out there doesn't mean you have to view it from a cage!

Don't be an impulse buyer... afterall you have time..
Ostrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 01:12 PM   #10
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,130
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but late-model Beemers usually don't have matching engine/frame numbers. The title uses the frame number, but the engine is different. I don't know how old this practice is for them.

Jon
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 02:15 PM   #11
cpatstone
N00b, obviously.

Oddometer: 347
Eek wha - wha - WHAT???

Quote:
... the K75G/S ...
Pardon the diversion in the thread... but a K75G/S? Now there's a setup I'd like to see!

"Minds Awaken on roads less Taken" -- Magic Hat bottle cap inscription
cpatstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 04:39 PM   #12
Frank Warner
Traveller

Yes - mism atched engine and frame numbers are fairly common. On the R75 during teh war they swaped bits to get as many working bikes going. So they are all over the place. And our rego people don't care about the missmatch - just as long as none of the relevant numbers are on the stollen list.

You can find some old photos of the K75G/S on my site. It has changed a bit since then - larger fuel tank, pelican panniers (and another rack) that I'm finishing off now. Other things are less noticable. http://www.geocities.com/fwarner_au/...abmwk75gs.html
Old 12-09-2004, 04:46 PM   #13
Alchemist OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Yes - mismatched engine and frame numbers are fairly common. On the R75 during teh war they swaped bits to get as many working bikes going. So they are all over the place. And our rego people don't care about the missmatch - just as long as none of the relevant numbers are on the stolen list.
My understanding is the pre-70 boxers had matched numbers. At least my old R69S (which I sold ) had matching numbers.