User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2010, 08:18 PM   #1
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Oddometer: 561
A short trip to Lynchburg, TN

My brother, Fred, and his wife, Cathy, came up from Suwannee, Florida to spend a couple of days and to attend the George Straight/Reba MacIntire concert in Nashville, Tennessee.

Saturday morning we decided that we would take a ride and, since Lynchburg is only 30 miles away, we decided to go there. Fred had never visited Lynchburg and it's a great place to meet up with other bikers on weekends. (For you Harley haters, Lynchburg is not the place for you.)

We have a choice of several bikes and choose the 2004 Ural Troyka and 2001 HD Night Train.

I live just outside a small town called Fosterville (a volunteer fire department, 2 churches and a one room post office, now closed, are the only structures except for about 10 houses). It's a great little community in a series of hills that are part of the Highland Rim.

The route is a pretty simple one. We'll take Fosterville Road out to US-231 and head south through Deason (Where Advriders Mr_Wilson and Cyclynnut live) into Shelbyville (home of the world championship of Tennessee Walking Horses) where we'll take TN-82 south for about 13 miles and then south again on TN-55 into Lynchburg (home of Jack Daniels). The goal is to end up on the courthouse square where all the motorcyles will be parked.

Okay, here's the weird part. I only took pictures on the way back. So the ride report will actually start in Lynchburg and end in Fosterville.

Join our 54 Tennessee State Parks Ride Collaborative! [My Ride Reports here.]
Liberia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:56 PM   #2
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Lynchburg, TN

Lynchburg has a population of 361 people while the entire county had about 5,700 people according to the 2000 census. So it's a pretty small place in southern Tennessee.

Like most small Tennessee towns, there is a town square with the courthouse in the center. Lynchburg is the county seat of Moore County.

So we circle the square and are fortunate to find a full parking space among all the motorcycles and cars.

Here's a view of the Ural and Night Train settled into their parking spot.

The Ural is a 2004 Troyka which is the fancy version of the Tourist. I bought it a few months back from a gentleman in El Paso thinking that I would play around with it and probably sell it. That's still the plan but I really am enjoying riding it. It's a great bike at 55mpg and could do 65mpg. But it really isn't for Interstate driving and likes the slower speeds the best. This one doesn't have a driver's windshield but some do.

The Night Train is a 2001 and has the all black, inverted forks on the front. It's really a beautiful bike and one of the smoothest shifting Harley's I've ever ridden.

There are well over 100 bikes parked around the square and, since we didn't arrive until after lunchtime, the number has likely dwindled from the day's high. Most of the bikes will be Harley's but there's also a number of Honda's, Triumph's and others.

I've never been a fan of ape hangers. I do like Road Kings however. This paint job is different but likely not for me.

My other brother, Sam, who lives in Alaska really likes Springers. This is a beautiful Anniversary edition.

The bikes are packed in pretty solidly around the square and you can see the old style buildings that ring the square in the background. There's a Harley Davidson apparel store over there somewhere.

We did see a group of very nice Honda Goldwing trikes that were here for a visit.

I don't know how far away the guy on this chopper came from but I think the bloom would have been off the rose for me after a short distance.

Here's a picture of the Moore County courthouse with several bikes in front.

Among the shops surrounding the square is a leather goods store that caters to bikers. I've been looking for an inexpensive belt case for my Blackberry and found one there for $7.95. Even better, it fits the Nikon S3000 digital camera that I bought on our Massachusetts trip (see the ride report in my signature).

Here's a tough looking little Harley. I think it would be a fun one to ride.

I mentioned that my brother Sam (from Alaska) liked Springers. I'm not sure he would be crazy about this color but it did make the bike stand out.

It also had one of the most unique trunks on it that I've ever seen.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:17 PM   #3
Liberia OP
Fortunate

The trip home

Fred and I ate at the Iron Kettle Restaurant which serves home cooking, meat and three type meals. We both had the special which was a hamburger steak with pinto beans, fried okra, corn bread and chocolate cobbler.

Now we're full and it's time to head home.

On the way out of town you pass the Jack Daniels Distillary visitors' center. I've never taken the tour but I hear it's very interesting. Moore County is a dry county which means that you cannot sell alcoholic beverages. However, the Tennessee legislature passed a special exemption for the Jack Daniels visitors' center so that you could buy it there.

Headed out of town I got the feeling that I was being followed by a guy on a black Harley.

The Lynchburg Hotel sign looks quite a bit like the Jack Daniels sign. Coincidence I'm sure.

Moore County is very rural and most of the land is either hilly or used for farming of one type or another.

The roads are mostly straight with gentle curves and rolling hills.

That guy's still back there.

More farm land (hay) with the hills shown in the background. We're kind of in a small valley as we drive along.

The sign in these people's yard may be hard to see but it says "Spring Water for Sale." And they do mean water from a spring. Not the stuff you buy in stores that say "Spring Water" but actually comes out of a faucet somewhere. I wonder if anyone ever stops there to buy any of their water.

I told you the roads were straight. It's not Kansas straight but it's about as straight as it gets in Middle Tennessee.

Here's a farmhouse near the road. There were some people sitting in the front yard enjoying their Saturday afternoon. That's the way it was when I was a young boy growing up in the rural south.

I really like the old barns of Tennessee. This one has definitely seen better days. It is very expensive to maintain one of these barns so you frequently see them in disrepair.

Liberia screwed with this post 09-14-2010 at 02:04 PM
Old 09-12-2010, 09:34 PM   #4
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Bedford County

We soon leave Moore County and enter Bedford County. It's another rural county in Middle Tennessee but with quite a bit more people and larger towns.

Dang! That guy on the black Harley is still back there. Now I'm starting to get worried.

We've had a fairly wet spring and summer so most things are still green.

Here's some pretty pastureland along the way back. People raise horses and cows around here for the most part. You'll also see goats and some hogs.

And a classic red barn. No picture of Tennessee would be complete without one.

Imagine that, another barn in the distance.

Finally we come to Shelbyville. It's the Walking Horse capital of the world and home of the annual Walking Horse Celebration. It really is a big deal with people coming from all over the world. They even shut down school for the entire week.

Here's a picture of the church where a friend of mine, Kevin Minchey, is pastor.

More pastureland along the roadside. Although it's very small, you can see a DC-3 airplane in the background as you're looking at the Shelbyville airport

My camera batteries went dead somewhere along here so I didn't get pictures of the Deason city limit sign, gasing up the bikes or the Fosterville post office.

My sister-in-law called while we were in Lynchburg and said she wanted to take a ride in the Ural. So I stopped when we turned off of US-231 and let my brother ride it the rest of the way in so that he could get used to it. When we stopped at the bottom of our driveway Cathy was there waiting. She hopped into the side car.

They drove off for Bell Buckle, a small town about 5 miles away that is also popular with bikers. I got 2 calls from Fred and Cathy while they were there getting information about the Ural so that they could answer people's questions. They said as soon as they stopped that people began to ask them all sort of questions about the Ural. It really is a fun bike to ride.

This was a pretty short and simple ride report but I hope you enjoyed it anyway. if you're in the Middle Tennessee area you will find an almost endless number of interesting places to visit on your bike. I figure there must be hundreds within 3 hour's drive.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:30 AM   #5
aldntn
Vgo

Oddometer: 273
Lots of nice day trips in mid tenn

You are close to one of my favorite "day trip" roads: Hwy 269. You really get that "old time" feeling in Bell Buckle, Wartrace, and Normandy. Take a left at Normandy (go past the post office) and you come to the George Dickel Distillery. Accidentally found it while investigating a little road there.

09 DL650ABS
aldntn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:47 PM   #6
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldntn
You are close to one of my favorite "day trip" roads: Hwy 269. You really get that "old time" feeling in Bell Buckle, Wartrace, and Normandy. Take a left at Normandy (go past the post office) and you come to the George Dickel Distillery. Accidentally found it while investigating a little road there.
I live about 1 mile off Hwy 269 and we frequently eat at the Bell Buckle Cafe. Really good food for a reasonable price.

I take Hwy 269 anytime I have to go to Tullahoma. A really good ride is to take 269 to Tullahoma and then make your way to Sewanee, take Hwy 169 down the mountain to South Pittsburg and the Tennessee River. Now that's a beautiful ride.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:31 PM   #7
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,260
Enjoyed your ride and your pics!! Thanks for posting
Old 09-13-2010, 03:22 PM   #8
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,685
Very nice. I live in Columbia and I love to ride in the Lynchburg/Bell Buckle/Wartrace area. The Bell Buckle Cafe is a belt buster, for sure!
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:26 PM   #9
BusyWeb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
BusyWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:14 AM   #10
iyaoyas98
Bored Silly

Oddometer: 5,735
Where's that?

Good report
iyaoyas98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:19 AM   #11
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyaoyas98

Nice to see a KLR on the Lynchburg square as well. Last Saturday there was nothing except cruisers, dressers and trikes (and one Ural). I just rode a KLR 650 from Boston to Murfreesboro with my wife and a full load of gear (see the ride report in my signature). We had a good trip and it made me appreciate the do-it-all nature of the KLR. Currently have a 2009 KLR 250s which I might ride over there one day.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:09 AM   #12
Ddouble
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Nice report. Lynchburg is great if you want to see tourists and HDs for sure!

+1 on 269 and Sewanee. Hwy 41 is my favorite road up the mountain. I have never tried 169 to South Pittsburg, but it's on my to do list. Next time I need a new frying pan!

My home away from home is Tullahoma, right off 269 and around the corner from Cascade Hollow. My avatar is George Dickell.

Great riding in middle TN!
Ddouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:51 AM   #13
iyaoyas98
Bored Silly

Oddometer: 5,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberia
Nice to see a KLR on the Lynchburg square as well. Last Saturday there was nothing except cruisers, dressers and trikes (and one Ural). I just rode a KLR 650 from Boston to Murfreesboro with my wife and a full load of gear (see the ride report in my signature). We had a good trip and it made me appreciate the do-it-all nature of the KLR. Currently have a 2009 KLR 250s which I might ride over there one day.
I read your ride report while you were doing it. You're crazy and have a very patient wife.
iyaoyas98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:13 PM   #14
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyaoyas98
I read your ride report while you were doing it. You're crazy and have a very patient wife.
Yes and Yes.

But we sure do have fun (whenever the pain subsides enough to realize it).

Old 09-14-2010, 05:23 PM   #15
prometheus rising
Ghost In The Machine

Oddometer: 693
Perfect ! Dig the paint scheme on the Ural

And now here is my secret, a very simple secret; it is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. - Antoine De Saint-Exupery

The Adirondacks and Beyond
prometheus rising is offline   Reply With Quote