Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2010, 05:01 AM   #16
LandPirateMBC
Full blown child

Oddometer: 163
Its already been said, But I think the best choice is a buddy 125. They are quick dependable and have color options which any girl would love. Its enough bike to climb hills but not enough to overwhelm her. The aftermarket trunks and such will also come in handy. And it will also handle a passenger easily and comfortably.
LandPirateMBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:18 AM   #17
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandPirateMBC
Its already been said, But I think the best choice is a buddy 125. They are quick dependable and have color options which any girl would love. Its enough bike to climb hills but not enough to overwhelm her. The aftermarket trunks and such will also come in handy. And it will also handle a passenger easily and comfortably.

yeah, it was said already. and it bears repeating. The MSF thing, that is.

and I've had a Buddy. It's not gonna handle SF hills and the pachinko traffic with 2-up well.
DR-Z400SM, '68 Honda 305, '64 Honda C110, '06 Honda VT750, GTS 250ie, Genuine 150, Vino 125, Zuma 125, Yam C3, Honda Met, Tomos ST, PCX 150, Honda PS250 Big Ruck, Vino Classic 49, Honda Rebel, and a Lifan CT 70 clone I forgot about...
redhandmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:29 AM   #18
wanna bECO
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Well, I don't think the OP is even watching this thread any more. But the muni pass would be cool. I love SF, it's definitely my favorite city. I wonder if that pass covers bart, if it does, it's a steal!

current stable

'94 Harley .... a blue one
'82 Honda passport
'87 Honda spacy 250
And an E Bike
85 spacy 250
81 passport (in pieces, many parts for sale)
The hit's just keep coming.. bought another 81 passport (11-28-09)

http://tiny.cc/ITgetsBETTER
wanna bECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:52 PM   #19
shirojiro
bassist

Oddometer: 79
New rider? I'd say no 2 up for awhile. My girlfriend does great with her Honda Metropolitan, but it does struggle with some hills. The 50cc Vino is nice too. I'd stay smaller rather than larger, esp in the city itself. She can also use the scooter in the msf class.

FWIW, I've used her Metro to commute as well, and it's ok for me even at 200lbs.
shirojiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #20
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,677
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/695/29...irst-Look.aspx

Pricey...but hey, its a Honda, SH150i

Old 10-09-2010, 11:57 AM   #21
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,334
Although there are lots of two wheelers about in SF and car drivers there are at least somewhat aware of bikes/scooters/motorcycles a MSF course probably isn't enough training for getting to be profcient on SF streets, but what are you going to do?

A rite of newbie passage in SF for any two wheel rider is the process of going down because of inappropriately hitting/crossing the Muni/cable car tracks, especially when wet.

As far as a particular scooter in SF, I've had a S90, a CT110, and some Passports, none of which is a scooter, but are indeed pretty ideal for SF. Any hill a Passport can't go up is too steep for a new rider on a CVT scooter.

All makes of scooters and bikes get stolen there, with old Vespa's/Lamretta's maybe at the top of the list. Get a cover (lots of salt air with the fog) and make the cover ugly, and lock the bike to something, if you can, with a heavy duty lock where/whenever its parked. For some reason there is a 15+ year plague with sparkplugs being bashed/stolen in SF. Something that has a cover for that is a help, too.

Bicycles are pretty handy in SF, but are really not much safer than scooters, if at all.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:23 PM   #22
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514
The $60 pass is Muni (buses/cable cars) only. For $70 you can get a Muni/Bart pass. These are unlimited. Ride as often and to anywhere within the City as you want. You can't beat it.

I'm in the same situation as the OP. My daughter is in school in SF and her car is in AZ with me. There is no way she could afford a car there.

Eric
Plus several thousand.

It' a great city but no way a newbie should be riding in SF.

Steep hills, bonzai taxi drivers, rough pavement, cable car track traps. heavy traffic, fog, two up, you gotta be kidding.
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:40 PM   #23
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Yea, I am agreeing with you guys now. I remember the last time I was in SF, it is crazy the way people drive with the traffic, small streets and crappy uneven pavement and much more. She should really learn to ride somewhere else before she rides SF. Because when it comes to 2 wheelers, it is not if you go down, it's when if you have never ridden before. If you learn in a good place, that fall will be very minor, and not cause any injuries. In SF, it would be much worse. Any CVT scooter should make it up SF hills. 50 cc would struggle, a 125 to 150+ wouldn't have much trouble.

Overall I would have to say SF is not exactly a beginner friendly city for motorcycles. It also requires experience and knowing how to handle the scooter or motorcycle, not just knowing how to shift or brake. Good luck!
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote