User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2010, 06:34 PM   #1
SpeedIsMyNeed OP
O' Wise One

Oddometer: 184
Bluhduh Where did all my OIL go?

So, I recently did an oil change at 22,700 miles on my Honda Nighthawk 750 (1991). I changed both the oil, and the filter at that time. I have always checked the oil every week, but recently (23,666 miles), when I did check it, it came out at 0. ??? What the hell?

The bike sat overnight and I checked it in the morning and found that the oil was 3/4 full. Ride for the day, check it again tonight, about 2 hours after riding and it is at 1/4 full. I start the motorcycle for about 30 seconds then turn it off. I wait for about 2 minutes and check it again, and behold, NO OIL!

I understand if the oil is in the oil lines, but when am I supposed to check for an accurate reading? There are no leaks / pools of oil that I can find.

Please someone give me an answer before its too late and something happens.

(When I measured the oil, the bike was on the center-stand)

Thanks!

1991 Honda Nighthawk CB750
SpeedIsMyNeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:38 PM   #2
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,212
Do you have an owners manual that you can use to find the correct procedure to check the engine oil level ?

Some bikes you check after riding, then sitting, others you may check with a cold engine.

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:38 PM   #3
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer: 14,972
Was it consuming oil before? Is it possible that oil is spraying out somewhere at speed that wouldn't be obvious in the driveway?
Old 09-13-2010, 06:42 PM   #4
SpeedIsMyNeed OP
O' Wise One

The owners manual does not state how to check the oil.

The pipes are relatively clean (they run beneath the oil filter and surrounding areas). I have never experienced a problem like this before.

I am completely dumbfounded!

Old 09-13-2010, 07:04 PM   #5
SpeedIsMyNeed OP
O' Wise One

Oh, and am I supposed to, or not supposed to screw in the dipstick? I have been screwing it in.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:20 PM   #6
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,132
That is a wet sump engine with a dipstick into the sump. As with any engine of this type (which is nearly all of them) you'll get the best reading on a warm engine that has been switched OFF for about 10 minutes to let the oil drain out of the top end.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:28 PM   #7
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsMyNeed
Oh, and am I supposed to, or not supposed to screw in the dipstick? I have been screwing it in.
It's been a long time since I owned a Honda, but I think the answer is no.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:53 PM   #8
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waco Kid
It's been a long time since I owned a Honda, but I think the answer is no.
agree. unscrew, remove, clean, and then just set it in the hole.

Also, don't use the centerstand - the oil will pool at the front of the motor, and your dipstick is not there. Assuming you can reach the dipstick while sitting on it, just stand over it, make sure it is fairly upright, and check the oil.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:03 PM   #9
SpeedIsMyNeed OP
O' Wise One

Okay, so I added another liter of oil. Ran the motor for 5 minutes, and backed into my garage. Checked the oil without the center-stand (had my dad prop it upright) 2 minutes later. Did not screw the dipstick in this time. Came out to be 3/4 way full. I am guessing that this is good? Any thoughts?

Also, what will too much oil do to the motor / what are some signs of too much oil?

Thanks again for all the responses!

Old 09-13-2010, 08:18 PM   #10
SpeedIsMyNeed OP
O' Wise One

Now 20 minutes later its a little above the top fill line. Somebody shoot me!Is 10 minutes the magic number? How long to I wait after warming up the engine.

2 minutes after shutdown 3/4 full.... 20 minutes after shutdown a little over the top fill line.

Is that okay?

Old 09-13-2010, 08:27 PM   #11
Bobthebiker
not normal

Oddometer: 493
well you are forgetting, oil isnt like water, its thicker and flows a bit slower. 2 minutes after shutdown, oil is still trickling slowly toward the pan. I'd wait around 10-20 mins, then check.

overfilled, usually it'll push it into the airbox, and either it'll drain out of there, or be sucked into the intake and burned with the fuel.

error 404: common sense not found.
Bobthebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:31 PM   #12
SpeedIsMyNeed OP
O' Wise One

So should I leave it, or try and drain some out and start all over again? I don't want to kill the bike.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:40 PM   #13
uraberg
whosaberg?

Oddometer: 689
Overfilling is bad for seals.

Check oil cold. on the centerstand, don't screw in the dipstick.

If you want to be absolutely sure, drain the oil, remove the filter. Take your time draining it (drain from a hot engine overnight or something like that.)

Look up the specs for you oil capacity.

place in new filter, add the amount of oil needed.

done.
uraberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:15 PM   #14
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsMyNeed
The owners manual does not state how to check the oil.
Are you talking about the factory owners manual that came with the bike? I can't believe it doesn't tell you how to check the oil. Look harder. Checking it warm vs. cold, after 5 min. vs. 10 min vs. all night is going to vary from one engine to the next. You really need to find out what Honda recommends for this bike.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:36 PM   #15
SpeedIsMyNeed OP
O' Wise One

Thumb

Yep, I got an online copy of the full manual that someone posted. Many people posted to other online forums with similar problems. No-one agrees on the hot or cold engine though.

Either way, the oil was basically no longer rising / falling after 20-30 minutes. I removed the drain plug, brought out a little more than a liter from the crankcase, and balanced the bike upright while checking the oil level (did NOT screw the dipstick in). My guess is that after 30 minutes, the engine oil is basically at the same level as it would be cold. Either way, I tested it (5 times) and found it to be 3/4 full. Good enough to convince me to ride it to school tomorrow (20 miles).

After my calculations, I should have the same amount of oil in the bike that the manual recommends for an oil change with new filter (2.9L).

Thoughts? Either way, I am done working on it for the night. I, unlike the bike, am not a nighthawk!