Oddometer: 4
Gdr

ManInTheMirror screwed with this post 09-27-2014 at 07:21 PM
ManInTheMirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:14 PM   #2
KTM Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Hey enough of the place holders...post up the GPS tracks! The dear wifey and I leave Michigan in 13 days to do a portion of the CDR - Dubois/Jackson WY (which ever way you want to think of it...) down to Columbine CO (around Steamboat Lake), then head off for pavement riding with my son.

One specific question - on the Cannonshot/Big Dog tracks there is a spot on the "Columbine Alternative" (the west leg down towards Steamboat Lake just south of Aspen Alley/Hwy 70) marked as "Steep Hill" and then another "6 Miles Rough". Just how steep and rough is this bit? We will be two up on a Vstrom - dont mind slow going, dont mind technical..and to be honest, simply want to see if we can take it on (within reason). The real motivation is because the hope is to do that west leg, then hook north on the east leg back towards the Wyoming border and WY Hwy 70 as we then will head east to Laramie to meet up with our son.

Thanks!

Mike

Northern Michigan home on 40 wooded acres for sale. Located on MCCT, ride direct to over 200 miles of ORV trails. 4 miles of trails on the property. PM me for more info
KTM Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:45 PM   #3
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM Mike View Post
Hey enough of the place holders...post up the GPS tracks! The dear wifey and I leave Michigan in 13 days to do a portion of the CDR - Dubois/Jackson WY (which ever way you want to think of it...) down to Columbine CO (around Steamboat Lake), then head off for pavement riding with my son.

One specific question - on the Cannonshot/Big Dog tracks there is a spot on the "Columbine Alternative" (the west leg down towards Steamboat Lake just south of Aspen Alley/Hwy 70) marked as "Steep Hill" and then another "6 Miles Rough". Just how steep and rough is this bit? We will be two up on a Vstrom - dont mind slow going, dont mind technical..and to be honest, simply want to see if we can take it on (within reason). The real motivation is because the hope is to do that west leg, then hook north on the east leg back towards the Wyoming border and WY Hwy 70 as we then will head east to Laramie to meet up with our son.

Thanks!

Mike
Photos and narrative are here.

Most of that segment is good. However, there are some rocky stretches that would not suit a V-Strom with six inches of ground clearance very well - especially two-up. There are also some pronounced interceptor dikes to deal with. The alternative is a nice ride on a good gravel road. Much better for a two-up V-Strom.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 06-28-2014 at 06:55 PM
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:28 PM   #4
Rossmoesis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
I'm looking I to riding this next summer. Thanks for the hard work on putting together some corrections. I can't wait to download your tracks
Rossmoesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:42 PM   #5
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInTheMirror View Post
To start with, I'd like to point out an error in the New Mexico section of Big Dog's and Cannonshot's GPS tracks, that guides riders onto private property.

(Kudos to Big Dog and Cannonshot. They have put a great deal of work into these GPS tracks. But oops in this one small area.)

This mistake in the moto routing is NE of Grants, New Mexico, just north of San Mateo near Laguna Polvadera. See map.

The Adventure Cycling Association's "Great Divide Mountain Bike Route" shows the route correctly, keeping the mountain bikers off private property. But motorcyclists following Big Dog's and Cannonshot's GPS tracks have experienced problems with the landowners.

Where is this?
http://www.tarpbook.com/ADVrider/The... this turn.kmz
(Open in Google Earth)

Thanks for contributing the most current information for riders that want to take a spin on the GDR.

I noticed that you made a mistake when you pointed out the mistake that Big Dog and I each made on the route near Grants. I missed a turn that took me onto what is reported to be private property - although I encountered no signs indicating such at the time. I'm not sure that Big Dog made a mistake though. The maps are updated about every two years. The map he had may have guided him there. Actually I think this specific issue was mentioned without resolution in his CDR tracks thread some years ago. One of the reasons there are differences between my tracks and my friend Big Dog's tracks is that the maps changed in between our trips.

It is important for people to recognize that there are frequent changes to the route. Even though the maps are republished every two years, there are changes posted in real time on the ACA website. It is important to look for discrepancies that might have some effect on the published GPS routes. Usually these changes deal with closures and newly identified private property issues. Since we are not always on the same route as the bicyclists, not all the changes apply to us.

Here is the error I made based on the map that was in place at the time. The black dotted line is the route that was in effect at the time.

Here is the map extract that was in place at the time. I assume that since your track is different, you are using a newer map.

Seriously, thanks for taking the time to share current information that will help out other riders!

Cannonshot screwed with this post 06-28-2014 at 08:20 PM
Old 06-28-2014, 07:42 PM   #6
KTM Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks C/S - my next step was going to be to send you a PM with the same question! Is that pic of the rocky section representative of the worst of it, or best of it?

Northern Michigan home on 40 wooded acres for sale. Located on MCCT, ride direct to over 200 miles of ORV trails. 4 miles of trails on the property. PM me for more info
Old 06-28-2014, 07:49 PM   #7
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM Mike View Post
Thanks C/S - my next step was going to be to send you a PM with the same question! Is that pic of the rocky section representative of the worst of it, or best of it?
I'm thinking that is the worst of the rocks, but the water bars can be significant as they are on steeper grades. I had a DL1000. If I was two-up on it I would take the gravel road alternative and skip the rocks and water bars. And I'm certainly not shy about taking big bikes places they may not be best suited for.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:02 PM   #8
KTM Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

thanks. Not sure what route we will take (as our plan was for both ) - but I have been known to be a glutton for punishment, and the wife is usually game...stay tuned for the results!

Old 06-28-2014, 08:25 PM   #9
KTM Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

That my friend would appear to have been a poor choice of line to take!

Old 06-28-2014, 08:26 PM   #10
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Cannonshot has highjacked this thread, so with regrets I'm bailing.
Sorry you feel that way.

You brought me into it by mentioning me by name and posting some of my work.

I answered a question about the route since the theme seemed to be sharing information about a ride many of us have shared.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:21 PM   #11
KTM Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Well...that didnt last long. To bad, I was looking forward to more helpful info.

Old 06-29-2014, 05:45 AM   #12
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,775
Interesting guy. Guess he had to be the center of attention.

Most times on ADV collaboration and sharing are appreciated.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 05:52 PM   #13
KTM Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

FWIW - I think Cannonshots ride reports, GPS tracks and photos are among the best here on ADV for riding the CDR. (not to take anything away from the others...) I did 600 miles worth of it in July (essentially Dubois WY through Steamboat Lake - plus a side trip to Farson and Parting of the ways) 2 up on a Vstrom. His stuff was spot on, we had no surprises. I owe Cannonshot a HUGE thank you for having helped make our trip spot on perfect! Certainly a bit of ill timed rain would have a big impact however. (we discovered that around Atlantic City - SLIMEY stuff!)

I rode that exact section in July of this year. Cannonshots pic is absolutely representative of what I saw then. I did it two up on a Vstrom 1000 - and for me, it was absolutely not a problem what so ever. Your mileage may vary, proceed at your own risk, bla bla bla....

All it come down to is slow down for the conditions, the limits of your bike and limits of your skill/comfort level. Carefully picking your way through those rocks, you can literally do that section (Columbine west leg) of the CDR in a car. Dont believe me? My son followed my wife and I, in his Subaru - foo foo street tires nothing special other than being a totally stock, AWD, standard Subaru. No horrible erosion, no issues. This is on the hill early on in the "6 miles rocky" section.

The water bars noted, may be a challenge if wet, - I had no troubles - either did the Subaru - note it in the background of this shot in coming out of one of the water bars.

A few other pics on the Columbine west leg: (yes - I was one up from time to time...the wife had gotten off the bike to take pics!)

This shot is of the surfgace on the hill that kicks off the "6 miles rocky" section.

And to prove that yes indeed a Vstrom does have its limits:

(that was a zero speed drop...sagebrush stopped my momentum, plop down the bike went...Oh - location on that was just west of the Parting of the Ways - we were wandering around hoping to find a way to get to POTW from the west - but failed)

Old 09-27-2014, 05:58 PM   #14
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
That photo must be four or five years old, and I don't think it is still indicative of the current conditions. That road has sustained a great deal more erosion. And what's more, the section itself is no longer the most rugged. The conditions on the GDR change so rapidly, from year to year, that riders in planning are advised to consult only the people who have ridden the route recently. Four or five year old photos might not give the most reliable impression today.
Sorry to pop back into this thread, but you mentioned me and posted my work again so I guess you want me involved. Thanks Mike for sharing with others that the original information remains accurate and representative of current conditions thereby eliminating any confusion.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 09-27-2014 at 06:09 PM
Old 09-27-2014, 06:29 PM   #15
KTM Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

No problem C/S. I just wish Mirror Man would share some of his additional insight, photos, ride reports etc. so we can all benefit .

I dont know if this link will work or not - but it is a video I did of exactly that section. It really shows the conditions in that leg rather well. I could not get it to post to You Tube or elsewhere as file was to large, but did get it onto facebook. Here is a link - perhaps it will work?