Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 08:43 PM   #1
andy29847 OP
Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer: 2,238
Six Days of Idaho

It looks like Idaho is the destination of choice for many adventure riders this summer. My riding group picked Idaho for our "big" ride while we were in Colorado last summer. I volunteered to plan the ride because I was the only one in the group that has been dirt roading in Idaho before (one day - Lolo Motorway). I used tracks available in this forum, and information from different map sets to choose the route. Our group wanted to ride for six days, we wanted to be on dirt roads as much as possible, and we wanted camping and motel/cabin options at each stop. We hope to find some ice cream along the way too. The attached route is our plan. We will be riding in July. It is all public roads except for 10-15 miles of ATV trails. We will be riding dual sports bikes - mostly 650s. I know that many of the roads are big bike friendly, but I don't know that about all of the roads. The route also easily splits into a 4 day loop and/or a 2 day out-and back ride. We plan to stay in Salmon, Stanley, McCall, Elk City twice, and Lolo. You can start where you want, and travel in the direction that fits your plan.

We will post a link to our report and some pics here. If you get there before we do, please share your experience. FWIW, our back up plan (in case of forest fires) is the new Idaho Backroads Discovery Route. The guys that put this ride together do a great job. I was happy to see that some of our ride overlapped some of theirs. I want to do the IDBDR ride someday, but this circle route works best for my group this year.

The attached gpx file includes tracks and waypoints. The number of track points has not been filtered to fit in to older GPSs (many are limited to 500 track points per track). The waypoint names did not take into consideration the fact that waypoint names in older GPSs are limited to a set number of characters (some are limited to 16). In my experience, if you try to load a route into a GPS where there are issues with the number of trackpoints, or the length of names, the full route will not load (truncated). If you need help configuring the map file for your GPS, send me a PM and I will help if I can.

I have started a Facebook Group for this ride: https://www.facebook.com/groups/432216610268560/

Colorado Ride Report: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=994882

Smokys Ride Report: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=890804
Attached Files
File Type: gpx six days of idaho.gpx (1.84 MB, 6 views)
ABC#8350
IBA#7647,
Trenton, SC
Smugmug coupon code = bQItjZEfrqLkI
MOAB Ride Report
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:51 PM   #2
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,196
byways is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:04 AM   #3
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,934
Awesome route

Your route comes to a gate just a few miles SW of your waypoint IL4005.

It is here:
N46 01.249"
W115 20.166"

It is posted "Closed Road"----------I was just there late fall last year---2014.

The gate was there for washouts---and there is a go around "provided" for vehicles less than 50" (or so). It is OK to go around-----we talked to a ranger about this ----our conversation to him came about right before we were going to attempt that route out of Elk City as we heard there was a forest fire going on and he said we could go the way we did--------from Elk City towards Selway Falls.
He had driven it in his pickup and said he was lucky to survive the washouts.
We laughed when we got to them-------no problem for anybody on a bike.
They just didn't want anybody going down that road in a big vehicle.
It was "not" gated on the other end-----------weird ?????

But a rider not knowing the situation might come to this and turn around---for fear of being arrested ------or just riding where you're not suppose to.

Here it is:

When in the area ----------watch out----------bears ???.............No.

These guys-----an unruly bunch of trouble makers on Honda ATC110's tearing up the countryside------drinking lots of beer and pillaging.
They didn't have any rain gear----and said if it started raining they had enough beer to where they wouldn't care---so you've been warned.
Actually-----2 of these guys were forest rangers of the area and had a few days off. I think they were having more fun than we were.

Here's a video of that day---the gate is at minute 6.

Have a great ride. !!! I'll be up there this year again-------------Idaho, my favorite state.
And thanks for the tracks !!!!!!

BigDog

2013 Husky 650 TR650 Terra
I'm good--but I ain't no Dingweeds

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post Today at 09:21 AM
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote