ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Mapping & Navigation > GPS Tracks - Rockies
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-28-2015, 07:43 PM   #1
andy29847 OP
Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer: 2,367
Six Days of Idaho

It looks like Idaho is the destination of choice for many adventure riders this summer. My riding group picked Idaho for our "big" ride while we were in Colorado last summer. I volunteered to plan the ride because I was the only one in the group that has been dirt roading in Idaho before (one day - Lolo Motorway). I used tracks available in this forum, and information from different map sets to choose the route. Our group wanted to ride for six days, we wanted to be on dirt roads as much as possible, and we wanted camping and motel/cabin options at each stop. We hope to find some ice cream along the way too. The attached route is our plan. We will be riding in July. It is all public roads except for 10-15 miles of ATV trails. We will be riding dual sports bikes - mostly 650s. I know that many of the roads are big bike friendly, but I don't know that about all of the roads. The route also easily splits into a 4 day loop and/or a 2 day out-and back ride. We plan to stay in Salmon, Stanley, McCall, Elk City twice, and Lolo. You can start where you want, and travel in the direction that fits your plan.

We will post a link to our report and some pics here. If you get there before we do, please share your experience. FWIW, our back up plan (in case of forest fires) is the new Idaho Backroads Discovery Route. The guys that put this ride together do a great job. I was happy to see that some of our ride overlapped some of theirs. I want to do the IDBDR ride someday, but this circle route works best for my group this year.

The attached gpx file includes tracks and waypoints. The number of track points has not been filtered to fit in to older GPSs (many are limited to 500 track points per track). The waypoint names did not take into consideration the fact that waypoint names in older GPSs are limited to a set number of characters (some are limited to 16). In my experience, if you try to load a route into a GPS where there are issues with the number of trackpoints, or the length of names, the full route will not load (truncated). If you need help configuring the map file for your GPS, send me a PM and I will help if I can.

I have started a Facebook Group for this ride: https://www.facebook.com/groups/432216610268560/

Colorado Ride Report: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=994882

Smokys Ride Report: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=890804
Attached Files
File Type: gpx six days of idaho.gpx (1.84 MB, 70 views)
ABC#8350
IBA#7647,
Trenton, SC
Smugmug coupon code = bQItjZEfrqLkI
MOAB Ride Report
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:51 PM   #2
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,283
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:04 AM   #3
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 5,137
Awesome route

Your route comes to a gate just a few miles SW of your waypoint IL4005.

It is here:
N46 01.249"
W115 20.166"

It is posted "Closed Road"----------I was just there late fall last year---2014.

The gate was there for washouts---and there is a go around "provided" for vehicles less than 50" (or so). It is OK to go around-----we talked to a ranger about this ----our conversation to him came about right before we were going to attempt that route out of Elk City as we heard there was a forest fire going on and he said we could go the way we did--------from Elk City towards Selway Falls.
He had driven it in his pickup and said he was lucky to survive the washouts.
We laughed when we got to them-------no problem for anybody on a bike.
They just didn't want anybody going down that road in a big vehicle.
It was "not" gated on the other end-----------weird ?????

But a rider not knowing the situation might come to this and turn around---for fear of being arrested ------or just riding where you're not suppose to.

Here it is:

When in the area ----------watch out----------bears ???.............No.

These guys-----an unruly bunch of trouble makers on Honda ATC110's tearing up the countryside------drinking lots of beer and pillaging.
They didn't have any rain gear----and said if it started raining they had enough beer to where they wouldn't care---so you've been warned.
Actually-----2 of these guys were forest rangers of the area and had a few days off. I think they were having more fun than we were.

Here's a video of that day---the gate is at minute 6.

Have a great ride. !!! I'll be up there this year again-------------Idaho, my favorite state.
And thanks for the tracks !!!!!!

BigDog

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 01-29-2015 at 08:21 AM
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:33 PM   #4
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,921
There is some great old single track, now quad trails between the Salmon River and Hwy 12. There are Centinial Trail markers on much of it. Also up to the start of the good part of road 500 from Lowell.

I think I have it in my Statewide Motorized Trial System (SMTS) for ID file on GPSXchange.com
Old 01-29-2015, 04:49 PM   #5
toondebt11
ADVRIDERKEVIN

Oddometer: 334
Thanks!

Thanks bigdog for your input. Its always good to get your trusted seal of approval on a route BEFORE we get there!
I B A # 42258
toondebt11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:40 PM   #6
andy29847 OP
Dirt Road Rider

Toondebt11 wrote;
Quote:
Its always good to get your trusted seal of approval on a route BEFORE we get there!
Dog - Thanks guys for the pics and the advice about the gate!

Countdown - I used the tracks from your SMTS file to help layout this ride. Some of those spots with single track look very interesting.

FWIW, the rider on the sticker below is a derived line drawing from one of my mid- 80's enduro pics. Ahhhhhh, to be 30 again...

I'm so excited.

ABC#8350
IBA#7647,
Trenton, SC
MOAB Ride Report

andy29847 screwed with this post 01-30-2015 at 07:55 AM
Old 01-30-2015, 09:05 AM   #7
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
Countdown - I used the tracks from your SMTS file to help layout this ride. Some of those spots with single track look very interesting.

FWIW, the rider on the sticker below is a derived line drawing from one of my mid- 80's enduro pics. Ahhhhhh, to be 30 again...
Andy, Good, glad people are using them. ID is long way from home so I don't have much. I need to update the Riggins to Elk City track, it is the one with the fun single tracks.

Mid 80s Enduro Racer, did you use a Countdown Combo (Enduro Clock)? Jerry

Countdown screwed with this post 01-30-2015 at 09:13 AM
Countdown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:46 AM   #8
andy29847 OP
Dirt Road Rider

Quote:
Mid 80s Enduro Racer, did you use a Countdown Combo (Enduro Clock)? Jerry
Yes I did. I raced in SETRA in the 80's. I was a member of the Columbia Enduro Riders. I did some of the rider's meetings, and handled the trophy presentations for the enduros we held (Sandlapper Enduro) in the mid to late 80's. I was racing using a wrist watch that could be set for 24 mph when the Countdown Timers came out. If I am linking up your ADVrider name, and your question correctly, and you must be the guy sold Countdown Timers. If so, we have met. I was at your camper, maybe at the Cherokee Enduro, thinking about buying a Countdown Timer. One of the other SETRA riders (I remember it being Alvin McCannon, big red headed guy, rode open A) came over to complain that his Countdown Timer wasn't working all the time. You took it, turned it on, mashed a few buttons to make sure it was working, and then threw it on the ground to shock test it (6ft air-to-ground test is what we called it in the phone company). It was still working when you picked it up. What I saw was enough to make me reach for my wallet. I wasn't any faster with your timer, but I never hit a check early after that.

I quit with motorcycles when my kids got involved in school activities and sports. I started back riding with a street bike in 1999 when my youngest graduated from H.S.. In 2003, I bought a BMW F650 and started exploring dirt and gravel roads in the Smokys. It didn't take but a few minutes on the first dirt road for me remember how much fun it is to ride away from the crowds. I have been exploring dirt and gravel roads since then. Adventure riding has been a great way to see the country.

The photograph above was taken near Lookout Mountain by the photographer that used to follow the SETRA races.
ABC#8350
IBA#7647,
Trenton, SC
MOAB Ride Report

andy29847 screwed with this post 02-07-2015 at 05:16 AM
Old 01-30-2015, 11:13 AM   #9
andy29847 OP
Dirt Road Rider

Tony Hugeal, glad you are watching. Save some of that popcorn for me. My riding buds went off 3 years ago and rode some of the Forever West route. I didn't get to go. They rub my nose in that fact every time they get a chance. They all say, "that was the bestest ride ever." John Saurer was the group leader/planner for that ride. I remember that he talked to you several times when he was planning the ride. John died last year. He was a great guy to be with on the trail.
ABC#8350
IBA#7647,
Trenton, SC
MOAB Ride Report

andy29847 screwed with this post 01-30-2015 at 06:21 PM
Old 01-30-2015, 11:34 AM   #10
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yes I did. I raced in SETRA in the 80's. I was racing using a wrist watch that could be set for 24 mph when the Countdown Timers came out. If I am linking up your ADVrider name, and your question correctly, and you must be the guy sold Countdown Timers. If so, we have met. I was at your camper, maybe at the Cherokee Enduro, thinking about buying a Countdown Timer.
I think you have me mixed up with perhaps ICO? I have never been east of the John Zink National in OK and one in Texas. I started Countdown with a combination min/sec clock and roll chart holder in a blue plastic case in the late 70s. By the mid 70s every AA rider was using my product. I then added a 24 mph pacer, then at the end a full on computer that displayed seconds, pacer mileage, and the mileage of the next possible check.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:54 PM   #11
andy29847 OP
Dirt Road Rider

Quote:
I think you have me mixed up with perhaps ICO? I have never been east of the John Zink National in OK and one in Texas. I started Countdown with a combination min/sec clock and roll chart holder in a blue plastic case in the late 70s. By the mid 70s every AA rider was using my product. I then added a 24 mph pacer, then at the end a full on computer that displayed seconds, pacer mileage, and the mileage of the next possible check.
Well durn!. The box I am remembering was 2" wide, 4" long, 1 1/2" deep (this is memory which I already proved isn't too good). This unit was a pacer. You could build in the roll chart info and it would read out what your mileage was supposed to be. It probably had other capabilities, but that was how I used it. It was the first timer I saw that could handle speed changes. The dateline on my story would have been the 1984-1985 season.

EDIT: I did a little internet research. I think the timer I had was an ICO. Sorry for the mistake.

A National Enduro in Athens, OH was as far away as I traveled (1984). In the early 80's, in the south, it was easy to find an enduro to ride in. One year we had 8 enduros in South Carolina alone.
ABC#8350
IBA#7647,
Trenton, SC
MOAB Ride Report

andy29847 screwed with this post 01-31-2015 at 04:30 AM
Old 01-30-2015, 06:05 PM   #12
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,283
No! OMG ... I'm so sorry to learn about John. I still have his messages. My belated condolences to his family and friends.

Quote:
Tony Hugeal, glad you are watching. Save some of that popcorn for me. My riding buds went off 3 years ago and rode some of the Forever West route. I didn't get to go. They rub my nose in that fact every time they get a chance. They all say, "that was the bestest ride ever." John Saurer was the group leader/planner for that ride. I remember that he talked to you several times when he was planning the ride John died last year. He was a great guy to be with on the trail.
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:22 PM   #13
pckopp
Aged Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures View Post
Your route comes to a gate just a few miles SW of your waypoint IL4005.
Not sure about that gate but there was some kind of sign and/or gate when we rode thru there back in April of 2007. There was NO WAY a normal vehicle would have gotten down that atv trail - then, at least. That last couple of miles down to the river is steep! Lots of water bars, ends of fallen logs and big rocks to get over or around. Fun stuff. No way I would try going up on anything bigger than a trials bike. Me, anyway.

While we were collecting our breath at the bottom a couple came by on a bigger ATV dressed like they had just left church. Dress slack, nice shirts and shoes. They gave us a wave and motored up the hill.

Gotta love Idaho. The ATV had a license plate.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:47 PM   #14
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 5,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by pckopp View Post
Not sure about that gate but there was some kind of sign and/or gate when we rode thru there back in April of 2007. There was NO WAY a normal vehicle would have gotten down that atv trail - then, at least. That last couple of miles down to the river is steep! Lots of water bars, ends of fallen logs and big rocks to get over or around. Fun stuff. No way I would try going up on anything bigger than a trials bike. Me, anyway.

While we were collecting our breath at the bottom a couple came by on a bigger ATV dressed like they had just left church. Dress slack, nice shirts and shoes. They gave us a wave and motored up the hill.

Gotta love Idaho. The ATV had a license plate.
Got to be a different road or it's been fixed--------I could ride a big GS thru there easily---I don't like riding those things--but I use to have one..
It was very easy riding.
No water bars---no fallen logs--no big rocks.
Just a nice fun road.

All I've ever done is ride offroad bikes all my life--------but i'm still consider myself a very average rider.
Just never got up to a higher level------------I was a lapper.

BigDog

You can see how easy it is in the video on a previous post I made.

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 02-06-2015 at 09:04 PM
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:13 PM   #15
pckopp
Aged Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures View Post
Got to be a different road or it's been fixed--------I could ride a big GS thru there easily---I don't like riding those things--but I use to have one..
It was very easy riding.
No water bars---no fallen logs--no big rocks.
Just a nice fun road.

All I've ever done is ride offroad bikes all my life--------but i'm still consider myself a very average rider.
Just never got up to a higher level------------I was a lapper.

BigDog

You can see how easy it is in the video on a previous post I made.
Okay, I watched the video - brings back memories! - and I think it must have been different.

Here is a picture of the descent from Google sat view. This is from just past my gate to the bottom.

Here is a screen capture of my track in MapSource

Here is the profile from Track Properties

From watching your video - nice job, BTW - it seems to me during the steep descent to the river you had the uphill side mostly on your left. I remember when going down that hill the uphill side was mostly on my right. I know I bumped my throttle side brush guard a couple of times.

Your road looks much wider and easier than mine. I will attach the actual gps file of our track from Elk City to Lowell so you can compare. I'd love to know which road you were on. My track matches Andy's.

Benchmark Idaho, page 42, C4. Just northeast of that is the gate and you can see the skinny road down to Meadow Creek.

We went straight north from Elk City on 443 to the junction of 464. We turned east, staying on 443 also called Falls Point Road and then dropped down to Meadow Creek which is just south of the Selway.

Good times! Thanks for the video and the memories!
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Elk City to Lowell.gpx (247.0 KB, 24 views)