ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Rockies
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 09:47 AM   #46
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
congratulations on your ride and GPS experience.

I just knew you were on the wrong map page when you started describing your panning problems. Glad you figured it out okay. I went thru the same angst a couple of times.

///////

Now I just create a route in Mapsource and manually draw the tracks using the track tool. Once they are drawn they are ready to share. This is also a bit tedious, but it goes fast and is a good way to spend a cold winter day.
Thanks for the congrats and I'm pleased to know I am not the first to make that map page error.

I have a Mac so I have to use a software similar to Mapsource called RoadTrip. I haven't been able to find a track tool on it yet. I can import tracks created by my GPS or others, but I haven't been able to find a way to actually create a track route on the software. Hopefully there is a way to do it or there is an update that offers that improvement.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:56 AM   #47
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,894
You could try to live with routes instead of tracks when you can't get tracks. I would certainly think your software can create routes.

I tried to use routes for navigation for almost 10 years and finally gave up. Every time I tried, something would go wrong. A big problem is that the GPS unit will not neceessarily choose the same route that you see on the computer. As a minimum you have to ensure that the routing options on the unit are the same as on the computer. These are things like not avoiding dirt roads, shortest distance/time, etc.

I use lots of waypoints. I make hard waypoints so they always show as opposed to the via points created by the Mapsource routing tool. But on my 60 there is a limit of 50 waypoints per route.

I also dislike some routing features like auto-zooming, auto-recalculation, etc. I have recently learned that you can turn these off.

I believe I am in a minority, but I always use track north. It is confusing when you are heading mainly south, but I don't like the display rotating whenever I go into a turn. It is too hard to reorient myself.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:48 AM   #48
theBikeman
Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
I have a Mac so I have to use a software similar to Mapsource called RoadTrip. I haven't been able to find a track tool on it yet. I can import tracks created by my GPS
RoadTrip is outdated go to Garmin's site and get the free BaseCamp for Mac it does tracks and many other things RoadTrip doesn't. Not as good as MapSource but usable.
theBikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:43 AM   #49
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by theBikeman View Post
RoadTrip is outdated go to Garmin's site and get the free BaseCamp for Mac it does tracks and many other things RoadTrip doesn't. Not as good as MapSource but usable.
Thanks - I downloaded BaseCamp. I need to fiddle with it. I saw the tracks tool so I guess I can now draw my own tracks. For some reason my maps are not showing the detail I need, though. I didn't have much time to play with it, but I will tonight. I tried both the global map and my Citynav North America. I don't think the latter loaded, though.

Thanks again!

Edit: All better now. BaseCamp works with the detail of my NA maps. Will learn the tracking tool next.

Pantah screwed with this post 10-11-2011 at 01:13 PM
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #50
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,812
Great Divide Ride

Planning File

Contains a variety of tracks FOR PLANNING.

Already downloaded 1,234 from this site: http://dco43054.com/phpbb/viewtopic....270724e200c653
Attached Files
File Type: gpx GDRCannon.gpx (1.67 MB, 65 views)
Old 03-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #51
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Ready to load and ride (20 tracks).

Downloaded 1,317 times from this site: http://dco43054.com/phpbb/viewtopic....270724e200c653
Attached Files
File Type: gpx GDRCanLdrR2.gpx (891.8 KB, 56 views)
Old 03-04-2013, 02:27 PM   #52
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Ready to load and ride (20 tracks) - revision 3.

Downloaded 428 times from this site: http://dco43054.com/phpbb/viewtopic....270724e200c653
Attached Files
File Type: gpx GDRCanLdrR3.gpx (895.4 KB, 111 views)
Old 03-04-2013, 04:39 PM   #53
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,710
Col,

Thanks for your hard work. I am going with another group this summer. Heading out early August from South to North Going to hop on somewhere in Northern NM and take it as far as vacation time allows.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #54
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
Col,

Thanks for your hard work. I am going with another group this summer. Heading out early August from South to North Going to hop on somewhere in Northern NM and take it as far as vacation time allows.
Thanks. I'm envious of your trip. Hope you have a blast!
Old 08-26-2013, 04:04 PM   #55
Ddgfarm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Wanted to post a big thank you to Cannonshot for these CDR tracks. I just finished riding the CDR for 12 days and my buddies and I used these tracks. It was great having the all the waypoints on my GPS so you could get a sense of upcoming sites as we rode along. After a few days we didn't bother taking paper maps with us anymore.

We made it from a couple of miles from the Canadian border to about Cuba, New Mexico. We took a day to explore Yellowstone. We did all the "fun" stuff, including Fleecer Ridge, Lava Mountain Trail and Wickes Tunnel.
Ddgfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #56
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 809
^ exactly!
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:25 PM   #57
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddgfarm View Post
Wanted to post a big thank you to Cannonshot for these CDR tracks. I just finished riding the CDR for 12 days and my buddies and I used these tracks. It was great having the all the waypoints on my GPS so you could get a sense of upcoming sites as we rode along. After a few days we didn't bother taking paper maps with us anymore.

We made it from a couple of miles from the Canadian border to about Cuba, New Mexico. We took a day to explore Yellowstone. We did all the "fun" stuff, including Fleecer Ridge, Lava Mountain Trail and Wickes Tunnel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpet View Post
^ exactly!
Thanks! I'm glad they served you well. Sounds like you had a great trip!
Old 09-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #58
jprhode
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Thanks and a few comments

Just wanted to add my thanks for the extremely helpful tracks and planning file. We had zero issues related to routing. In our experience, it would be wise to pay attention to the waypoints highlighting muddy or rocky/steep sections. Some of them are a bitch under the wrong circumstances.

Here are a few comments related to difficult or boring sections, and some suggested workarounds. We rode from South to North, so bear that in mind. We started in Silver City, NM. I'm on a GSA, and Cal was on an F650GS, both fairly heavily loaded.

About 70 miles North of Hwy 152 (by Silver City) you come to a junction in the middle of nowhere between what's labeled as Highway (!?) 163 and 159. Both are dirt. It rained a ton around the beginning of August, and 159 was badly rutted and we later learned from other riders that sections of it were muddy and awful. Given the ruts, we took 163. There several sections of bad sand near the junction, but after that it was a dirt superhighway to US60.

Leaving Grants, NM going North, the first 30 miles or so are awesome. Then you hit a bit of pavement, and turn right on San Lucas Rd. Keen observers will note several waypoints along this section that highlight washes, mud, erosion, etc. The first wash we hit was full of water, and we turned around. I later talked to someone who made it through this section on a lightly loaded 650, and he wished he skipped it. It's kind of a crap section anyway. Suggested reroute is to take 603 to 509, turn right at Pueblo Pintado on 197 and then into Cuba. This way you get the great forest section and skip the muddy desert.

Between Cuba and Abiquiu, all is well until you get to the rocky sections of 31 Mile Rd. A good workaround if you need one is to take NF103 to NF316 and then Hwy 96 to Abiquiu. I made it over the first rocky section on the GSA, but it was more than Cal wanted to subject his bike to. And, the workaround was really nice.

The washouts North of Del Norte could be a handful. But, if you take the highway east out of Del Norte you very shortly come to a well marked turnoff for La Garita - dirt superhighway and a good alternate in the rain.

IMO, the whole section from Salida, CO to Como is problematic if it has rained recently, which it seems to do every afternoon this time of year. We took the highway, so I have no good suggestions. I really wonder if taking the COBDR North of Hwy 50 and then reconnect with the CDR near Kremmling would be better.

The river crossing (labeled DeepFord) near Hwy 134 was running 3' deep when we went around it. I'm sure this can be done by many, but when there is a very short highway running through basically the same scenery, why bother?

We elected to skip the Divide Basin section in WY because it is flat and boring. instead, from the CO-WY border we took CR-4 aka Haiwatha Rd to 430, and then 191 North from Rock Springs. This is also flat and boring, but it cut ~ 60 miles out, and we were able to go very fast and get it over with.

North of Butte, MT, we skipped the interstate frontage road section (and the tunnel) and instead took Hail Columbia Gorge Rd through Lowland campground up to Boulder River Rd and then rejoined the route at the Interstate. Very pretty section of forest, and some great campgrounds. Worth a look.

Again, just my opinion but the section of the formal route between Swan Lake and Columbia Falls, MT is intended for people on mountain bikes and fairly silly to ride on an adventure motorcycle. Left, right, left, right, left and on and on through neighborhoods etc. Just take hwy 35. It's very pretty, lightly traveled, and you skip the better farms and gardens tour and save a lot of time vs 20 mph through people's front yards.

Similarly, if you must take a picture of the Canadian Border, continuing North on North Fork Rd along the western edge of Glacier is a better option in my opinion vs going to Roosville. There is an abandoned border crossing there to photograph if you want, and this is a very pretty road. We went into Glacier and camped at Bowman Lake, which is really nice, and I'm sure Kintla Lake is as well.

Anyway, hopefully some of that might be helpful for someone.

cheers
Jason
jprhode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:10 AM   #59
decodent
CyberGypsy

Oddometer: 1,404
Wow Jason ... great info. Your workarounds sound good. I rode the CDR 3 years ago from south to north and was glad I did. It was nice ending up in the Canadian Rockies vs. the scrub brush and tumbleweeds around Antelope Wells. Some of my favorite riding was in the arroyo country of northern New Mexico. Anyway, congrats on a great ride!
Old 09-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #60
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,430
I recently completed the northern section from Jackson WY to Banff so can't comment on the southern portion. But . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprhode View Post
North of Butte, MT, we skipped the interstate frontage road section (and the tunnel) and instead took Hail Columbia Gorge Rd through Lowland campground up to Boulder River Rd and then rejoined the route at the Interstate. Very pretty section of forest, and some great campgrounds.
I should go into Basecamp and make a gpx of this and send it to Cannonshot to post with his other tracks. The section of the route from Butte to Boulder was pretty awful. Your suggestion looks WAY better.

Quote:
Again, just my opinion but the section of the formal route between Swan Lake and Columbia Falls, MT is intended for people on mountain bikes and fairly silly to ride on an adventure motorcycle. Left, right, left, right, left and on and on through neighborhoods etc. Just take hwy 35. It's very pretty, lightly traveled, and you skip the better farms and gardens tour and save a lot of time vs 20 mph through people's front yards.
Good point. I liked the nice relaxed roads that went through the Swan Valley but the section that went through the suburbs did seem a little silly.

Quote:
Similarly, if you must take a picture of the Canadian Border, continuing North on North Fork Rd along the western edge of Glacier is a better option in my opinion vs going to Roosville. There is an abandoned border crossing there to photograph if you want, and this is a very pretty road.
I'd call that an option but not necessarily a better or worse one. The ride past Camp Tuchuck and over Bald Pass into Eureka is a pretty good section of the route. Wouldn't want to skip that. From Eureka north to Roosville is totally skippable but that's only a fast 10-mile section so no big deal. Maybe do both?