Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2010, 09:15 AM   #1
Howzit OP
DoubleTrouble 1,111

Oddometer: 1,092
Question Mopeds - What's out there for a 14 year old?

My daughter turns 14 in a couple of months and I'm leaning towards a Yamaha Zuma 50 being a 2 smoke Japanese and all. Hard to kill and has enough pep to get around.

Any other recommendations out there?

...feel free to add a pic of your pick to this thread

Howzit screwed with this post 09-14-2010 at 09:20 AM
Howzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:16 AM   #2
White Tenere
Look a moose

Oddometer: 717
+1 on the Zuma
White Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:41 AM   #3
Howzit OP
DoubleTrouble 1,111

Tomos Mopeds

Anyone have experience with Tomos mopeds? Made in Europe. Tomos Mopeds

Tomos Arrow (reminds me of a Honda Express)

Streetmate (reminds me of a Honda MB5)

Nitro 50

Howzit screwed with this post 09-14-2010 at 09:54 AM
Old 09-14-2010, 09:57 AM   #4
Howzit OP
DoubleTrouble 1,111

Honda Ruckus

Room for a Ruckus anyone?

Honda Metro

Howzit screwed with this post 09-14-2010 at 11:15 AM
Old 09-14-2010, 10:00 AM   #5
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
Those are legal at 14 there? Here it's 16 and a driver's license (not MC) is necessary.

These are cute: CPI GTR 50

But I think nothing would beat that Yam BWS scooter.
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:17 AM   #6
Howzit OP
DoubleTrouble 1,111

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNoob
Those are legal at 14 there? Here it's 16 and a driver's license (not MC) is necessary.

These are cute: CPI GTR 50

But I think nothing would beat that Yam BWS scooter.
CPI GTR is cool but does not qualify as a moped (too fast)

Iowa Age Limit "Persons age 14 through 15 must be issued a moped permit, but must first complete a moped rider education course approved by the Iowa Department of Transportation. The standard operator's knowledge examination and a vision screening are required. Skills testing may be required at the discretion of the DOT examiner."

Iowa Moped law: "MOTORIZED BICYCLE: The new definition of motorized bicycle (moped) found in 321.1(40)b of the Iowa Code reads:

"Motorized bicycle" means a motor vehicle having a saddle or a seat for the use of a rider, designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, and not capable of operating at a speed in excess of 30 miles per hour on level ground unassisted by human power.
This new definition has eliminated the reference to “an engine having a displacement of no greater than 50 cubic centimeters.” This change allows for electric motors or engines to serve as a source of propulsion.
The key to whether a vehicle is a motorized bicycle or motorcycle is its maximum operating speed, as certified by the original manufacturer. The speed of a motorized bicycle cannot exceed 30 miles per hour on level ground unassisted by human power. The top speed of 30 mph must be printed on the manufacturer’s certificate of origin.
"

Old 09-14-2010, 11:02 AM   #7
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer: 917
Iowa dealers used to just speed restrict any of the 50cc scooters (Zuma, Metro, Vino, etc...). But the change in the law is new to me as I haven't ridden in Iowa in a long time. You'll probably have to call actual dealers to see what it says on the MCO or title if you're buying used from someone with a title.

I wonder how the new law deals with titles (especially if you buy from out of state) and used bikes. The old Metro II was speed restricted from the factory. The even older Spree had an actual Iowa edition that was also purposely speed restricted from Honda. But I don't really recall what either said on the MCO.
approachbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:09 AM   #8
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer: 917
As for your questions about specific scoots...
The Zuma is fine, though I really don't like 2 smokes.

The Ruckus and the Metro share the same mechanicals. Very reliable. Very easy to ride. Nice looking, Tons of after market parts.

Tomos is about the last importer of old style mopeds that isn't totally Chinese. Their mopeds are pretty old tech except for the new style headlights and they've been selling the basic models forever. They run fine compared to other 1983 era mopeds. The Tomos scooters (the Nitro 50 you posted) are just rebadged Chinese brands. Nobody around my way carries those, so I have zero first hand knowledge.
approachbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:13 AM   #9
bvardi
Probably not Deciduous

Oddometer: 286
[quote=Howzit]Anyone have experience with Tomos mopeds? Made in Europe. Tomos Mopeds

{/quote]

I've had a couple of Tomos mopeds over the years (bought a used one last year to enter into the MBSR scooter rally, bought it with 800km on it and ended up with three times that by the time it got sold afterwards - and I pretty much got back what I had into it too)

Overall - the ones I had (targa LX models) were basic, not very zippy, but pretty reliable little machines that make a decent low speed runabout. Streetmate is probably similar to the ones I had. With a performance pipe would hit 65kph with my amply sized weight on it - but don't expect to rocket up hills :)
bvardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:28 AM   #10
tortoise2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
Consider purchasing a non-running China 50cc 4-stroke scooter from a regional Craigslist posting for the educational experience . . engine and final drive oil changes, variator inspection, carb cleaning, valve adjustment, testing wiring & connector continuity, stator & regulator, CDI & ignition coil. Parts are cheap. Generic service manual pdf. There are numerous "How To" 139QMB and GY6 YouTube videos. Eventually "graduate" to something else . . after experience and judgement has developed.
tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:37 AM   #11
Howzit OP
DoubleTrouble 1,111

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise2
Consider purchasing a non-running China 50cc 4-stroke scooter from a regional Craigslist posting for the educational experience . . engine and final drive oil changes, variator inspection, carb cleaning, valve adjustment, testing wiring & connector continuity, stator & regulator, CDI & ignition coil. Parts are cheap. Generic service manual pdf. There are numerous "How To" 139QMB and GY6 YouTube videos. Eventually "graduate" to something else . . after experience and judgement has developed.
Mui loco - I remember stripping down my 79 TS50 and 82 MT50 and all the joys associated with those. A non-running Zuma may be fun. (I can just see my daughter wrenching on her moped)

...a Chinese non-runner, I don't think so.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:27 PM   #12
seraph
asshole on a scooter

Oddometer: 292
Zumas are great, you can find used ones for under $1,000 all the time and they have huge parts/aftermarket support. If I were buying a 50cc I'd pretty much go straight to the Zuma. The earlier Vino 50 was also a 2 stroke and a little "cuter" if she's that type of girl.

I've heard good things about Tomos' mopeds but not their scooters. Any Italian or Japanese brand is a safe bet as are Kymco and SYM.
seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:55 PM   #13
Howzit OP
DoubleTrouble 1,111

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraph
Zumas are great, you can find used ones for under $1,000 all the time and they have huge parts/aftermarket support. If I were buying a 50cc I'd pretty much go straight to the Zuma. The earlier Vino 50 was also a 2 stroke and a little "cuter" if she's that type of girl.

I've heard good things about Tomos' mopeds but not their scooters. Any Italian or Japanese brand is a safe bet as are Kymco and SYM.
I'm a Yamaha fan but I do like Kymco.

Super 8 50T

Agility 50 (looks like a Zuma)
Old 09-14-2010, 02:35 PM   #14
tortoise2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by seraph
Related post.

"The Lance Cali Classic is built by SanYang industries. (SYM). The bike labels read "manufactured by SanYang Industries". The keys, the engine components, the body panels are all labeled SYM. The VIN numbers all begin with RFGB (indicating Taiwan origin and SYM manufacture). The drive train is actually produced in SYM's Taiwan facility, the rest of the bike is assembled in their Chinese plant along with Kymco's Agility, Yamaha Zuma, Tomos, and Fiddle ll."
tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:56 PM   #15
mac66
Quasi Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
If it were my kid, I would buy a used jap bike before any chinese POS if nothing else than for the dealer support.
3/CT90s
Honda Spree

mac66 screwed with this post 09-15-2010 at 07:43 AM
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote