Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2010, 01:35 PM   #1
sushi7474 OP
Starting up

Oddometer: 52
Short review of the Rukka Kalahari suit

Hi all,

I thought about posting a review about a recently bought Kalahari set (jacket + trousers) from Rukka.

Reasons to buy:
I must confess that I own a perfectly functional Vanucci suit, winner of several “Motorrad” equipment tests. However, since I did not like it anymore, I wanted something more “fancy” – i.e. a shorter (more sporty) jacket and Gore-tex liner. And I liked the “archetypal” shape of the jacket best J

I was aware of the higher price-tag, but was ready to shell out the money, since quality usually costs – more in that later…

The fit and initial thoughts:
I bought size 48 (EU) – probably “M”-size in US terms. I payed 520 EUR (jacket )and 420 EUR for the pants.

The jacket:
Fit is perfect, slightly tight with the silverfish gore-text liner zipped-in, but I still like it a lot. There are those Rukka “mesh” protectors (back-, arm- and forearm-protectors), which (at the back) push a little bit on the body, but you get used to it quickly and after a while do not register it anymore.
There are air-vents on the forearms, under the armpits and in the back. Zippers quality seems to be good.

Four zippered exterior pockets (one of them including a waterproof internal pocket) and two internal ones make a lot of room for accessories to carry.

The trousers:
The fit is perfect, the trousers little longer (wear jeans 30/32), which helps a lot, if you have your knees bent during riding. There is a “rubbery” seat-pad on the exterior, with a patented seat padding below it. There are 6 pockets on the trousers (2 side pockets, 2 seat pockets, 2 thigh pockets), all of them well available and useful (none of them waterproof).
There are 4 protectors in the trousers (the regular Rukka mesh-style) – 2 extended knee protectors and 2 hip protectors. I did not like the hip protectors and removed them right after buying the trousers.

The inner parts of trousers (those areas in touch with the bike) are bolstered with heavy leather inserts (good idea)

Overall feeling is very good, all fabrics seem to be high quality.

Experience after a 9-days trip:

I used the suit during a recent trip to Balkans, with approximately 300 km of off-road use (if that makes any difference). No heavy duty use occurred, I wore the suit daily. The suit performed perfectly during high temperatures (30 C, but of course without the Gore-tex liners) and also during fairly heavy rains.

However, other issues occurred - After 2 days, the black fabric came loose below the fly front (all the seams in perfect conditions).
After 4 days, the black fabric next to the seat pad became loose and started to came apart at the stitched rear butt-pocket.

Also, I noticed a smaller crack in fabric on the inner side of the jacket (nothing serious), just annoying…

Final thoughts:

To be honest I expected a completely different level of quality from Rukka. One can buy better quality garments, for half (or even third) the price.
Apparently, the black fabric suffers serious defects, but this must not occur, when one buys 1000 EUR suits…

The garments will now be sent to the dealers (and later to Rukka) for repair. Since all the issues are caused by low-quality fabric, I doubt any “repairs” will help it.

I strongly consider requiring full “money-back” and source a bike suit elsewhere. I will keep you informed on the progress and dealings with Rukka…

Regards
Roman
Old 09-14-2010, 01:41 PM   #2
Norhasken
Tryin' to find my way

Oddometer: 18,228
Wow! I never would have expected the fabric to separate in that fashion.

Good luck on getting this resolved.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:48 PM   #3
Shakeyhands
Goober

Oddometer: 597
thanks for posting this. I've been mulling getting the Armas suit, this is making me more mully!

KTM 990 ADV

Honda XR650L
Shakeyhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:13 PM   #4
decka
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Rukka Armas Workin' Great for Me

Sucks about those stitching issues. My experience has been superb with the Rukka Armas for what it's worth. Totally water proof, tough as nails, 10,000 ADV miles and good as new. I'll add that I use the suit both on and off road pretty aggressively and have found it to be fantastic in every way—especially having the gore tex built right into the fabric.

I had a small issue with the zip-lock "lockout" main zip on my suit (no one told me to put silicone on the runner when you get it). I broke the zipper tab like a dumb gorilla and they fedexed me a complete replacement kit (more pieces than I even needed). So they are pretty responsive in my experience. I've heard they are a pretty cool company so my guess is you'll get a new suit.

I try to keep a balanced 'tude when it comes to this high-end stuff. It's like the Space Shuttle: it has a lot of first-run gadgets on it, ya know?

Good luck!
decka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:20 PM   #5
Motodisiac
Moto Terrorist

Oddometer: 3,488
Oops. I expected glorious review, and instead I see this. Is it possible that the suit is a bit too tight on you? I just do not see how RUKKA would design something that comes apart after few hundred kilometers of use.

Ducati Multistrada 1200 S - Adventure, Commuting, Track, Fun
CRF450X - Dirt Toy
Motodisiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:28 PM   #6
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,215
Disappointing report on Rukka quality, but I would like a larger sample size than 1. Any more experiences out there? Please pipe up.

I was thinking of a Rukka suit ordered from Germany mail order, delivered to US, but I am concerned with the logistics of possible return mail at huge expense of time and money if something requires repair/replacement/sizing/return, etc

I may just wait a bit and see what develops before dropping US$ Large Amount.

I also think I'll wait until I take a trip to Europe to try some pieces on and examine the material and construction quality in person.

I bought a BMW Rallye Pro 2 suit this year, and while it works pretty good for me I feel like a dork in it and I am so vain/shallow. I did examine a fellow rider when buying my bike at Max (NY) and was impressed with the suit build and look, and the rider raved about how it performed in a recent crash that destroyed his bike in NY.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:39 PM   #7
sushi7474 OP
Starting up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodisiac
. Is it possible that the suit is a bit too tight on you? I just do not see how RUKKA would design something that comes apart after few hundred kilometers of use.
Well, for the ride I removed both the inner liner and hip-protectors. It was a pretty loose fit for my build, so no issues there. (Also I cannot imagine, how I could stretch the fabric on the collar in the jacket)

One of my bike fellaz wears another Rukka suit (different model) for the last few years, but had "0" issues with it. I really suspect some nasty "fabric issues" in exactly my production series,but will wait for Rukka´s response...
Old 09-14-2010, 06:41 PM   #8
keiji
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
It looks like the seam allowances were not big enough. If you take a woven fabric, cut it, and pull at the edges, it will fray as there is nothing on one side to keep it from coming out. Go X number of threads in and that thread is held on by the tension of all the threads in the weave in the direction of the pull.

The seam allowance allows these X threads to exist. However, this is not enough. Over time, the threads on the outside edge will work their way free if not restricted. To stop this, they are typically overlocked, which essentially puts a fence around the outside thread that is anchored deeper in the fabric.

Cheaper jackets can get around this by using a Polyurethane coated fabric, which resists unraveling because the threads are essentially glued together.

Why would you want small seam allowances? Small seam allowances reduce bulk. It is hard to tell if they designed it in not knowing the fabric unraveled so easily, or the person cutting the fabric just messed up. Either way, that is pretty unacceptable on pants that cost that much.

I suspect it might be a part of their design philosophy to increase comfort in their garments. It would also explain why the Armax had such terrible burst strength in the RiDE test.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/upload...its%20test.pdf
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:37 PM   #9
Trophy Mike
w/extreme prejudice

Oddometer: 795
Agree with the Motodisiac of possibile undue tightness in the trousers. We have learned to size our clients primarily by hip measurement and feel even to the extent of allowing some looseness in the waist (reason for belt and suspender combination). And while we'd love to sell Kalaharis we choose not to since they are parity with alot of what's out there. If you're going to the trouble and expense of acquiring a Rukka the Armas is virtually another planet of quality and hence the ticket.
trophycycleapparel.com - America's #1 Non-REV'IT! Dealer - Rukka Gear Discussion/FAQ
Trophy Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:41 AM   #10
sushi7474 OP
Starting up

Kalahari - repair or money refund?

Thank you guys for the support/ input...

Quote:
Originally Posted by keiji
Small seam allowances reduce bulk. It is hard to tell if they designed it in not knowing the fabric unraveled so easily, or the person cutting the fabric just messed up. Either way, that is pretty unacceptable on pants that cost that much.
I am somehow perplexed now - should I completely withdraw from the "repair"-complications and request a full money refund? Does it make more sense to you?

Thanks
Roman
Old 09-15-2010, 06:28 AM   #11
Trophy Mike
w/extreme prejudice

Oddometer: 795
Rukka is warranteed for 4 years. Contact the dealer where you bought it. Most likely you'll have to send it to them for inspection.
trophycycleapparel.com - America's #1 Non-REV'IT! Dealer - Rukka Gear Discussion/FAQ
Trophy Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:06 PM   #12
sushi7474 OP
Starting up

Small update - I got a full money refund today for the jacket, let´s see, what the "pants-vendor" says to me...
Old 09-15-2010, 01:40 PM   #13
Gregg Wannabe
Just killing time

Oddometer: 2,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrik
Disappointing report on Rukka quality, but I would like a larger sample size than 1. Any more experiences out there? Please pipe up.

I was thinking of a Rukka suit ordered from Germany mail order, delivered to US, but I am concerned with the logistics of possible return mail at huge expense of time and money if something requires repair/replacement/sizing/return, etc

I may just wait a bit and see what develops before dropping US$ Large Amount.

I also think I'll wait until I take a trip to Europe to try some pieces on and examine the material and construction quality in person.

I bought a BMW Rallye Pro 2 suit this year, and while it works pretty good for me I feel like a dork in it and I am so vain/shallow. I did examine a fellow rider when buying my bike at Max (NY) and was impressed with the suit build and look, and the rider raved about how it performed in a recent crash that destroyed his bike in NY.
I just wanted to say that I have had the Air jacket and pants for about 5 years now of hard on and off road use. The stuff fits great, everything is right where it should be and it looks new. Completely waterproof with the liner and only one broken zipper pull after all the abuse. Even the knees look good and that's after changing many a tire in the Baja dirt/rocks. Expensive but I love the stuff. I think I'm going to buy this jacket and use it for my off road trips since the Air is really more of a street jacket.
Gregg Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:44 PM   #14
Gregg Wannabe
Just killing time

Oddometer: 2,301
btw

Those fabric tears look like a sewing error as if the seam was sewn too close to the edge of the fabric letting it unravel. That is clearly not right and unacceptable. The fabric is so tough I can't imagine it tearing otherwise.
Gregg Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:35 PM   #15
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,172
Wow is all I can say.

I was at the Touratech store a few weeks ago and my wife and I saw the Rukka gear described here. I always thought the only true competitor to Cycleport gear. We even talked about her getting a Rukka suit as opposed to a Cycleport one for her new gear (so she could keep some modicum of coolness and look like a woman) but after reading this, I'm not so sure.

I'm rather famous in these parts for my support of Cycleport stuff, but every time I read a review like this, I am SOOOOOOO happy I bought one. I've had mine 3 years and put it through the paces; a legit 23 F and 110 F, snow, hundreds of miles in driving rain (last time was coming back from the Swiss Alps a month ago), a couple thousand miles off road, etc etc etc.

Um, the hi-viz has faded a bit. I was nice and have washed it twice in those 3 years, though. Cycleport is still the benchmark by which others are measured IMO.

When we go back to the Touratech store, I'll look over the construction and look over the suits there and see if it looks like a poor design...

msbianca is bummed as she thought she was going to get to look sexy for once in her riding gear.

EDIT: I just looked at their product line and see that they do still run a Kevlar line and this one is a lower cordura line. So I can't really compare my Cycleport suit to this Rukka one. I can say that my 4 year old BMW Rallye 2 Pro which has been abused worse than the Cycleport suit shows no signs of wear even after being down a few dozen times on a few bikes in the desert and mountains, it still looks new.

longtallsally screwed with this post 09-15-2010 at 02:56 PM
longtallsally is offline   Reply With Quote