Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2010, 06:02 PM   #16
Socrates
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
I've owned a Rukka AirVision for about 3 years. I've also owned an ArmaX which is the prior version of the Armas. The quality and construction are outstanding. My AirVision still looks brand new with zero frays, rips, stretches, etc.

In fact I've even hit the asphalt in an AirVision and it saved my bacon. Granted it was a low speed spill at around 30 mph, but I tumbled and slid and had no bruises or scrapes on my body. The jacket and pants were a bit scuffed up, but what do you expect for a fully ventilated riding suit that flows air better than a t-shirt. I probably could have repaired that suit, but instead wound up replacing it with a brand new AirVision because I liked it so much.

As some others have mentioned I'm guessing the trousers are too tight on you, hence the seams coming apart where they are. It may also be due to the fact that it's a lower end line of Rukka's gear. With the higher end gear such as the ArmaX or Armas I doubt you could rip the seams like that even if you tried.

Socrates screwed with this post 09-15-2010 at 06:08 PM
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:39 PM   #17
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,210
I am not inclined to be so forgiving of this apparent quality failure in the Rukka "low end" line, as $1,000 or so is NOT low anything in my book. It seems that there is still good quality available at Rukka, but as they are currently replacing many of their old standbys for "new improved" models I would be cautious that they are not falling prey to the tendency for manufacturers to lower quality and trying to cash in on their reputation.

I for one will not buy any Rukka gear without the chance to hold it in my hands first, as I cannot afford to waste what would likely be a $1200-$1500 expenditure, so no German mail order for me for now.

Thanks all for the information.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:24 AM   #18
sushi7474 OP
Starting up

Oddometer: 52
Rukka Kalahari - final update

As mentioned before - Is ent the trousers to the vendor.

Just after few days, he replied that he does not consider the damages to be reparable and suggested either replacement trousers (new) or money refund (I accepted the money)...

End of story
Old 09-27-2010, 08:20 PM   #19
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,215
Rukka Schmukka.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:57 PM   #20
Boarder06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Have the same suit and used it for a 26k km so far. The price of this thing is ridiculous. However, compared to the cheaper offerings by Polo or Louis in Germany the fit was superb. So I went for it. The other suits I tried on seemed too big for me, I assume made for the middle aged beer gut crowd ;-) (not to worry, I'm moving into that target group fast).

Anyway, the pants leaked from the beginning, the "back protector" broke in several places. I feel the protectors are a joke. Sort of like the rubber mats in a commercial kitchen. I don't want to start another "you can't tell protector quality from looking at it" discussion or a "they are certified and cycleport's are not" discussion, but to me personally they seem flimsy.

I did have to mail it back to Germany and if I would have had my way I would have taken the money back but they insisted on repair. So, paying for mailing to the other side of the globe again.

For the life of me I can't figure out why they make a suit called Kalahari, clearly intended for use in hot climates, in such a dark color combo. The vents however do work and I could wear it comfortably in the Iranian desert, as long as I kept moving.

All in all extremely disappointed with Rukka, expected much better quality control from them, especially for the money they charge.

Personally, I'm also done with the waterproof membrane under the pants concept. If you are caught in a shower you'll have to strip down to your undies. Always fun in a Muslim country with plenty of onlookers.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:08 PM   #21
Winchester 73
Banned

Oddometer: 28

Winchester 73 screwed with this post 10-04-2010 at 08:14 PM
Winchester 73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:12 PM   #22
Winchester 73
Banned

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi7474

No mistaking it's aRukka
Winchester 73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:59 PM   #23
Socrates
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
It's unfortunate to hear these stories about one of Rukka's products. It may be the case that their quality is slipping. I have nothing but good things to say about my Airvision suit, but it has been discontinued.

I'm also not thrilled about the excessively gaudy branding on their new jackets. I'm curious to hear user reviews of some of their other newly released suits like the Armas.
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:36 AM   #24
Gore_Support
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Message from the GORE-TEX® Support Team

Hi Decka,

My name is Peter. I work for the GORE-TEX® Support Team and would like to take this opportunity – even though we know that it might be a bit late – to give you and the other users some advice and demonstrate improvements that we have made in regards to this product over the last few months.
Every GORE-TEX® Garment comes with a silicone oil marker. You will get this marker for free from your local dealer, if you don`t have one, yet. Please make sure to lubricate the rails with this marker regularly to make them run smooth and easy.
Moreover we are improving and testing the technology and design constantly since the introduction of the GORE® LOCKOUT™ Closure technology in the beginning of this year.
In case that yours is broken, you can return the product and get a new one free of charge from your dealer. Our partners have been informed about the known issues and are briefed to give you further support on this.
We hope that this has helped you and that you enjoy riding your motorcycle with our gear.

Best Regards,

Peter from the GORE-TEX® Support Team
Gore_Support is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:53 AM   #25
Oldpeg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi7474 View Post
Hi all,

I thought about posting a review about a recently bought Kalahari set (jacket + trousers) from Rukka.

Reasons to buy:
I must confess that I own a perfectly functional Vanucci suit, winner of several “Motorrad” equipment tests. However, since I did not like it anymore, I wanted something more “fancy” – i.e. a shorter (more sporty) jacket and Gore-tex liner. And I liked the “archetypal” shape of the jacket best J

I was aware of the higher price-tag, but was ready to shell out the money, since quality usually costs – more in that later…

The fit and initial thoughts:
I bought size 48 (EU) – probably “M”-size in US terms. I payed 520 EUR (jacket )and 420 EUR for the pants.

The jacket:
Fit is perfect, slightly tight with the silverfish gore-text liner zipped-in, but I still like it a lot. There are those Rukka “mesh” protectors (back-, arm- and forearm-protectors), which (at the back) push a little bit on the body, but you get used to it quickly and after a while do not register it anymore.
There are air-vents on the forearms, under the armpits and in the back. Zippers quality seems to be good.

Four zippered exterior pockets (one of them including a waterproof internal pocket) and two internal ones make a lot of room for accessories to carry.

The trousers:
The fit is perfect, the trousers little longer (wear jeans 30/32), which helps a lot, if you have your knees bent during riding. There is a “rubbery” seat-pad on the exterior, with a patented seat padding below it. There are 6 pockets on the trousers (2 side pockets, 2 seat pockets, 2 thigh pockets), all of them well available and useful (none of them waterproof).
There are 4 protectors in the trousers (the regular Rukka mesh-style) – 2 extended knee protectors and 2 hip protectors. I did not like the hip protectors and removed them right after buying the trousers.

The inner parts of trousers (those areas in touch with the bike) are bolstered with heavy leather inserts (good idea)

Overall feeling is very good, all fabrics seem to be high quality.

Experience after a 9-days trip:

I used the suit during a recent trip to Balkans, with approximately 300 km of off-road use (if that makes any difference). No heavy duty use occurred, I wore the suit daily. The suit performed perfectly during high temperatures (30 C, but of course without the Gore-tex liners) and also during fairly heavy rains.

However, other issues occurred - After 2 days, the black fabric came loose below the fly front (all the seams in perfect conditions).
After 4 days, the black fabric next to the seat pad became loose and started to came apart at the stitched rear butt-pocket.

Also, I noticed a smaller crack in fabric on the inner side of the jacket (nothing serious), just annoying…

Final thoughts:

To be honest I expected a completely different level of quality from Rukka. One can buy better quality garments, for half (or even third) the price.
Apparently, the black fabric suffers serious defects, but this must not occur, when one buys 1000 EUR suits…

The garments will now be sent to the dealers (and later to Rukka) for repair. Since all the issues are caused by low-quality fabric, I doubt any “repairs” will help it.

I strongly consider requiring full “money-back” and source a bike suit elsewhere. I will keep you informed on the progress and dealings with Rukka…

Regards
Roman
Sorry for you. This is both surprising from Rukka (and Rukka price) and worrying. I've had a Rukka jacket (called the Original) since 2007, but never had any problems with it. I also have a fairly recent new Athos jacket, which I didn't wear a lot so far. And i'm expecting a Gobi jacket any day. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:32 PM   #26
Sylvain
n00b

Oddometer: 6
After 2 years my Marco jacket got a hole on my left pocket. I returned it for warranty repair. It took a while but RUKKA's region manager decided not to repair the pocket because it would damage the GoreTex liner. So they shipped me a brand new ATHOS 2011 jacket. I beleive this can be called good service !

I burnt a hole on the left calf of my riding pants. Since it was my fault I had to pay the repairs. It cost me 70.00 $ but you can't tell where it was repaired.

Best Wishes
2002 wr426,
1978 BMW r100/7
Sylvain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:28 PM   #27
spacemanvt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
how did you end up liking the jacket itself? i know the pants fell apart but what about the jacket?
spacemanvt is offline   Reply With Quote