Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2011, 05:08 PM   #271
marksbonneville
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
Good stuff!

Yesterday must have been the day for riding DR's on dirt/mud, in the rain, and at night. Leaving after work at 3 PM, the roads were dry and lovely the entire ~70 mile ride from my home in Cave Creek, AZ to the middle of nowhere. Turning around and heading for home caught me in the middle of rain and/or lightening storms for 60 of the 70 miles back home: a few nasty mud sections, crossing some flash flood rivers, and a headlight that doesn't exactly challenge the sun in intensity when it is covered in mud. Didn't get back until 9:30 PM. I don't mind rain so much, but lightening storms give me ample time for prayer.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
No kidding, on Wednesday I rode mine 240 miles, no rain and it was hot.
marksbonneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:23 AM   #272
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,790
I rode Pearl Pass on Sunday. Excellent trip...

Block and Tackle Trail

Aspen, CO
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:47 AM   #273
juda5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Pearl pass looks awesome! I was visiting my neice & nephew in Crested Butte last month & my wife wanted to go to Aspen -- Google maps told me to head North out of CB over Pearl pass... my rented Cadillac didn't really like that idea!

I spent the whole week wishing I could have brought the DR with me...

Have you ridden the Sidewinder trail?
juda5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:55 PM   #274
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by juda5 View Post
Have you ridden the Sidewinder trail?
Not yet, I still have a whole lot of exploring to do on the western side of the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juda5 View Post
Pearl pass looks awesome! I was visiting my neice & nephew in Crested Butte last month & my wife wanted to go to Aspen -- Google maps told me to head North out of CB over Pearl pass... my rented Cadillac didn't really like that idea!
I love that Pearl Pass shows up on Google. I wonder how many people try it because of that. We passed a number of pickups/SUVs that looked like they had no business on that trail.

More pics of the pass:

There's still a snow field to cross in Aug:

Old 09-10-2011, 10:29 PM   #275
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Here's a pic from earlier this year that I just found...

Old 09-13-2011, 07:34 AM   #276
loosenoose
b00n

Oddometer: 9
Thumb

Mr. Pablo I want you to know that your thread has inspired me to keep on my little dr250 project.
This bike will hopefully be my work commuter soon. I have had it for close to a month now and it's nice ... I guess... but it still needs a lot of work.
The carb leaks badly, which I might have fixed yesterday. It also runs quite rich. I have gone through 2 tanks of gas in the 60 or so miles I have put on it. the supension is way too springy and has probably never seen an oil change. the wheels, frame, and electricals- other than the non working turn signals, are good. There is something rattling in the gas tank. I think it's a washer. I pulled out the inside of what i'm guessing was the stock cap yesterday.
Once i get the bike running well, i'm thinking of scrapping all the wiring and gauges for the universal wire harness and key switch from procycle, and also getting their mini speedometer.
I have been up all night with a baby that wont sleep, and have been reading your thread since about page 8 or 9. I have also spent a good deal of time on procycle's website, lol. another item to the already long list is the fly racing hi vis helmet. that thing looks awesome.
here's is a pic of my bike taken after the first time I thought I had fixed the leaking carb.

this is my 1st dual sport, and my 3rd bike, after the sv650 and vfr 750.
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:42 PM   #277
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosenoose View Post
Mr. Pablo I want you to know that your thread has inspired me to keep on my little dr250 project.
I'm glad I can be an inspiration. If you feel inclined, please start a build threads and post a link here. I love build threads. If you happen to find a 350 engine somewhere, pick it up. I think the 350 power with the 250 tranny is a wonderful combo.

Quote:
The carb leaks badly, which I might have fixed yesterday.
That's almost always a bad float valve and they are difficult to get working once they leak. I always replace them on old bikes.

Quote:
the supension is way too springy
Yup... the .47 springs with the heavier oil up front are great for my type of riding (200 lb rider on technical trails). I'll get to the shock this winter, it really bugged me all summer.

Quote:
I have been up all night with a baby that wont sleep
I feel for you. Those days are not too far behind me, but luckily they are truly behind me.

Then and now...

Quote:
another item to the already long list is the fly racing hi vis helmet.
Are you talking about my helmet??? If so, that's the first complement I've had on it.

When I first got it, it was blue, white and orange, which I couldn't stand, so I masked it off to paint it camo, but then decided that would be too much work so I just sprayed it black (when it comes to motorcycles, you can never go wrong with black). The helmet's taken a lot of abuse over the years (I constantly over-estimate the height of branches so I've had a lot of glancing blows). The black's worn out in a number of places which gives the helmet a nice patina, and I really like the helmet, but I can no longer wash the sweat-smell out of it, so it will probably get replaced this winter.

Pablo83 screwed with this post 09-13-2011 at 08:48 PM
Old 09-13-2011, 10:20 PM   #278
loosenoose
b00n

Oddometer: 9
oh, not your helmet. check it out:

the fly racing trekker. i have an older first grear big ol touring jacket in black and gray that this would go well with. it looks like it has been getting some good reviews, too. my 2 year old kbc mugello stands out like i like for it to, but it got dropped pretty good a few days ago and a bunch of the paint chipped off. eh, i got it for like $75. maybe it is time for a replacement. *sometime*

as for a build thread...
man. i really had a deus style standard in mind when i got the bike. i was really looking for a tw200, so that i could build something like this

i havent seen much out there for doing this to the dr250s. there is a bike called the goose 250 that seems to use a dr frame and the same engine as the dr250. there is also a 350 version, same concept. sport bike on a dirt bike, usd forks, too.
i would love to build something like this, but i just dont have the money right now, or in the forseeable future. too many jobs needing to be done around the house.
the shopping list of 'sane' projects for this bike is still a fairly tall order in my world. esp when my touch cripples motorcycles. i think it is a curse or something.

i was looking at carbs online earlier. what size does the 250 use?
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:32 AM   #279
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,562
250 trans

i must have missed it, but what is the advantages of the 250 trans & cases over the 350?
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:02 AM   #280
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugeye View Post
i must have missed it, but what is the advantages of the 250 trans & cases over the 350?
'90-'92 DR250S has a wider gear ratios. Essentially one more gear above the 350's top gear. More info:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=120
Old 09-14-2011, 09:11 AM   #281
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
oh, not your helmet.
That's what I thought. I was assuming your "hi vis" comment was sarcasm.

So are you looking to build a supermoto out of your bike?
Old 09-14-2011, 10:05 AM   #282
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo83 View Post
'90-'92 DR250S has a wider gear ratios. Essentially one more gear above the 350's top gear. More info:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=120
oh man sweet.
i'd set mine up for 1st = creeper for trails, 2nd-6th for the street
no sprocket changes.
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:59 AM   #283
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,923
Quote:
I'd call this bike the: exhaust crusher!!! Just looking at that gives me the willies. I had my stock skid on the DR most of the summer, as I was trying to get the aftermarket skid welded up with lower mounting tab. I think pablo did the same. Went for a ride and took a big hit that folded the stock skid. The skid was almsot touching the case. I must have bounched off the rock hard as I am surprised I missed the lower rear portion of the case that was unportected. Good time!!
MrPulldown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:13 AM   #284
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
The skid was almsot touching the case.
My skid plate has conformed to the case as well. The drain bolt is now exposed. Another winter project will be to re-shape the plate and add some reinforcement.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:19 PM   #285
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo83 View Post

I notice that my top mounting bolts fit the same way on my bike; over to the side of the slot. This was in order to get the skid centered when fitting the tabs. These tabs are a must, after only a few rides, I had smashed the head of the allen srews in the j-hook mounting system. I had to grind the allen socket holes out with a pointy dremel and hammer in an old allen wrench to get the bolt out. This would have been impossible to do in the field, and took the better part of an evening to do, when removing the skid shoudl take about 1 min.

I looked up this picture cause I wanted to see where you drilled your lightening holes. I will be drilling some holes in my skid too. However my reason is that I need a hole to fit my jack stand, as this skid is too smooth and there is no where for the jack stand to hook into.
MrPulldown is online now   Reply With Quote