ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2014, 12:15 PM   #1
Thinc2 OP
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,441
Tell me about Bainbridge Island

Is there offroad riding starting form bainbridge Island without having to take the ferry?

I'm in th eprocess of moving to Seattle. I am leaning to living in the eastside, but I have only 3 days to house hunt and find a place (I am moving from luxembourg).

If I end up on Bainbridge, is there offorad riding available in that area (I want to teach my 10 year old boy and 14 year daughter to ride).

Thanks - the housing market in Seattle seems incredibly tight...

Will do a better intro once I find a place to stay and am closer to moving (July).
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:11 PM   #2
when the road bends
hello

Oddometer: 470
Bainbridge would be a beautiful albeit quiet place to live. For a beginner rider Tahuya state park offers a full day of fun trails with mixed riding surfaces. I don't recall how close of a drive to you that would be. My guess is 30min

Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
when the road bends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:54 PM   #3
EmptiMind
Stoopid Youngin'

Oddometer: 369
Here's a fun little map, don't know if it has everything, but it'll give you a general idea of what's around.
http://www.where-to-ride.info/

Green Mountain:
http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/t.../ride_38d2.htm

Tahuya:
http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/t.../ride_e8b4.htm

Think Green Mountain is under an hour for the island, Tahuya a little over. I haven't lived on that side of the state in a few years, but I remember Tahuya having a lot of varied terrain, and being a good time.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:10 PM   #4
DeFens
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
I'd avoid Bainbridge like the plague. Internal politics on that ritzy island is inbred and corrupt beyond repair, the water supply from the sole-source aquifer is threatened, and there are a host of other issues. I've spent a fair amount of time doing environmental cleanup on the island - they build parks on top of contaminated sites, thanks to the influence of local realtors on the city government. An EPA Superfund site there has continuing issues with contaminated groundwater, with no easy solution to the obsolete remediation system in use.

They do have a top-notch school system there, due to the fairly wealthy tax base. The standard joke about Bainbridge is that all the residents wear Birkensyocks and drive Volvos - and it's not far off the mark.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
2001 BMW F650GS Dakar
And a fluffy cat named Chester....
DeFens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:38 PM   #5
Thinc2 OP
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,441
Thank you for the responses - very helpful.
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:26 PM   #6
GrizzLee
RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeFens View Post
I'd avoid Bainbridge...

They do have a top-notch school system there, due to the fairly wealthy tax base. The standard joke about Bainbridge is that all the residents wear Birkensyocks and drive Volvos - and it's not far off the mark.
Sounds about right. Seattle and the subarus, the Eastside and the soccer mom SUVs. Hehe... Where's a man to live?
RR: Bella Coola 2013 / Bella Coola Canada 2012
RR: Our Life Behind Bars
GrizzLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:36 AM   #7
ClineDesign
Grandpa

Oddometer: 263
If you move to Bainbridge, aka The Rock, check out PNWRiders and join us in Phototag!

http://pnwriders.com/kitsap/
ClineDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:15 PM   #8
Touring XR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Was a partner in a small business there for 2 years. Least interesting place on earth and there's only two ways off the island, including the ferry.
Touring XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:15 AM   #9
MillCreek
ADV Risk Manager

Oddometer: 1,565
I have family on Bainbridge. There is also a considerable drug and alcohol presence amongst the island youth. A combination of disposable income, since many families who live there are well-off, and that there is little to do there after about 6 pm.
2012 Suzuki DL650A as the current bike
Whole bunch of bikes in the past
MillCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:53 PM   #10
AUWalker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinc2 View Post
Is there offroad riding starting form bainbridge Island without having to take the ferry?
There is a bridge on the North end of the island. Don't think it's tolled, never actually been across it.
The ferry goes directly downtown, I used to work with a guy who "walked to work" from the island. Walk on ferry (low rates), then free city bus up to our facility. I think they did away with the free inner city bus routes, but if you work downtown, that may be something to consider.

As far as riding, probably nothing ON the island, but head west and you can find some decent stuff pretty quick. as previously mentioned, Tahuya, is a great place.
AUWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:21 PM   #11
shojimon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
There is more riding over on the east side, I think- Bainbridge Is as far as I know has no place to ride off road. Tahuya is a public off road park, but it is a haul to get there over the Agate Pass bridge on a busy two lane and then a good ways south- at least an hours drive. It is not that great a place for kids, either, from what I hear- a lot of older, childless wealthy people who work in Seattle or are retired.
Also, the eastside gives you the opportunity to get over the Cascade range a bit into a high desert country where you are not riding through a tunnel of trees. If you like to ski, it puts you closer to the Cascade ski areas also.

Do you need to buy a house, or rent? Are you going to have to go to Seattle to work?
shojimon is offline   Reply With Quote