ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2014, 08:09 PM   #1
funkycanadian OP
04' Weestrom

Oddometer: 4
Washington -> San Francisco in Mid- Feb? Possible?

Hey all.

I'm planning a big trip down to Latin America this spring. I'm leaving from Vancouver and will be hoping to meet some friends in Mexico by March. I've heard South Oregon/North Cali is mountainous and cold. If I were to leave the 3rd week of February, is there any route through to San Fran that I could count on being snow-free? Like, if I avoid Mt. Shasta and hop over to the coast or something else. I can deal with cold temperatures (heated grips etc etc), but not snow/ice!

Let me know!

Thanks,

funkycanadian
funkycanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:07 PM   #2
LimitedSlip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Yep, unless you plan it carefully and/or get lucky sourthern Oregon/NorCal can be pretty snowy. Two options. Head over to the Oregon coast and go down 101 or carry a set of tie downs and a $50 bill and see if you can throw you bike in the back of a truck to get through the mountains. Be warned that even the low passes over to the coast can be snowy in February.
LimitedSlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:26 PM   #3
funkycanadian OP
04' Weestrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimitedSlip View Post
Yep, unless you plan it carefully and/or get lucky sourthern Oregon/NorCal can be pretty snowy. Two options. Head over to the Oregon coast and go down 101 or carry a set of tie downs and a $50 bill and see if you can throw you bike in the back of a truck to get through the mountains. Be warned that even the low passes over to the coast can be snowy in February.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated! In your experience, when does it start to warm up? Mid march?
Old 12-17-2014, 10:33 PM   #4
dustin2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
You can always make it south safely via the coast. It'll be wet and cold but the roads will be fine. Even the I5 is generally fine until you get to Ashland and climb the summit there. It can be snowy there.

dustin2 screwed with this post 12-17-2014 at 10:38 PM
dustin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:38 PM   #5
TK-421
not at my post

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin2 View Post
You can always make it south safely via the coast. It'll be wet and cold but the roads will be fine. Even the I5 is general fine until you get to Ashland and climb the summit there. It can be snowy there.
I've hit a snow storm in late April coming over Siskiou Pass on I5, it sucked. As prior posters have suggested, stick to 101. The coast route will likely be wet but the scenery and pace are worth the extra time.

Have fun, sounds like a great trip!
Old 12-17-2014, 11:02 PM   #6
funkycanadian OP
04' Weestrom

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated. I've lurked ADV for sometime and finally got an account, glad to receive such an awesome welcome!

If I were to take the I5 to Roseburg, then split off at Grants pass to the 101, would that be feasible? Or better to take the 101 earlier?

Something like this: https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Vanco...5738!3e0?hl=en
Old 12-17-2014, 11:47 PM   #7
dustin2
Gnarly Adventurer

I'd just monitor the webcams of the WSDOT (http://www.wsdot.com/traffic/Cameras/default.aspx) and Oregon DOT (https://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/CamerasEntry.asp) and decide when you leave. It's hit and miss at this time of year. Oregon's webcams come complete with temperatures and everything :)
Old 12-17-2014, 11:54 PM   #8
funkycanadian OP
04' Weestrom

Ahh, exactly what I was hoping for. Cheers!!
Old 12-18-2014, 06:13 AM   #9
HotChilliColdBeer
Human Swizzle Stick

Oddometer: 289
I5?

Unless you really need to make time, I'd avoid that stretch of I5 from San Francisco to LA. It's the most boring bit of road I've ever traveled.

Hit the coast. Take your time. Enjoy the view.

Charlie
HotChilliColdBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:43 AM   #10
enumclaw
I just....don't know

Oddometer: 387
A few years ago I headed to New Mexico on April 4th. Slabbed it from Seattle area to Grants Pass, then headed to the coast. I hit snow on the way to the coast, 3 to 4 inches worth, before dropping down into Crescent City. Made for an interesting stretch, to say the least. South of Crescent City on the 101 there are a few rises that had snow on the side of the road at the time. Once dropped back down it was no problem the rest of the way.

If I were going to do it in February, I would head for the coast by at least Portland, especially if not in a big hurry. But like any ride during sketchy weather periods, the forecast at the last minute can make the route decision for you.
enumclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 02:08 PM   #11
Motomantra
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,235
What dustin said

The best thing to do is monitor the weather a few days before departure to see what it's doing. You MAY be able to burn right on through I-5.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:47 PM   #12
shadhardman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Why even think about I-5, 101 is the way to go. Beautiful ride vs. Concrete and semis.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:36 PM   #13
dustin2
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadhardman View Post
Why even think about I-5, 101 is the way to go. Beautiful ride vs. Concrete and semis.
Agreed but it's miserable in winter and takes ages vs the I5. Sometimes you just need to put some miles behind you quickly.

I've done the I5 from Vancouver to Northern California many times in a hurry and sure doesn't take long once you clear Seattle.