ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2015, 02:29 AM   #1
gdaniels OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Any where to ride near Vancouver WA other than Jones creek

My brother is coming back from Alaska at the end of April and we are looking to do some woods riding. I live extremely close to Jones Creek but Jones has lost it's flair to me. I'm hoping for something we can make a day trip. Anything hidden out there off the beaten path. Only places I can think that are fairly close are Nicoli Mt, Jones, and Hood river. We are pretty novice so just looking for something with light traffic.

Thanks
gdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:40 AM   #2
dhally
Hammerhead

Oddometer: 2,332
There is a bit of riding near Trout Lake, north of White Salmon. Middle Fork Trail. With the low snow pack, might be rideable then.
Tiger 800 - FOR SALE
dhally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:35 PM   #3
matloik
kludge

Oddometer: 1,245
Middle Trail can be a somewhat short out-and-back, if the creeks are high--one in particular, I don't remember the name.

You can make it to Hood River in the same amount of time/miles from Vancouver/Washougal as Middle Trail. And HR OHV areas are much better. Search for Binns Hill / Post Canyon / Kingsley and Pine Mont.

My understanding is that OR reciprocates with WA as far as OHV / ORV stickers, but in OR you need the "ATV safety card'.

Hit me up and I'll take you out riding, show you the goods. Cheers.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:58 AM   #4
gdaniels OP
Adventurer

These sound like some great spots. I hunt up by Trout Lake.

Hood River is pretty awesome I went out there a couple years ago. It was a little dusty but great looking country.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:01 AM   #5
gdaniels OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by matloik View Post
Middle Trail can be a somewhat short out-and-back, if the creeks are high--one in particular, I don't remember the name.

You can make it to Hood River in the same amount of time/miles from Vancouver/Washougal as Middle Trail. And HR OHV areas are much better. Search for Binns Hill / Post Canyon / Kingsley and Pine Mont.

My understanding is that OR reciprocates with WA as far as OHV / ORV stickers, but in OR you need the "ATV safety card'.

Hit me up and I'll take you out riding, show you the goods. Cheers.

Do you have to have OHV/ORV tags in Oregon if you have a plated dual sport? I have my first (from the factory) dual sport and have heard that you don't need both. I will hit you up if we head that way. It would be great to learn the lay of the land.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:00 AM   #6
matloik
kludge

Oddometer: 1,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdaniels View Post
Do you have to have OHV/ORV tags in Oregon if you have a plated dual sport? I have my first (from the factory) dual sport and have heard that you don't need both. I will hit you up if we head that way. It would be great to learn the lay of the land.
You need an OHV/ORV sticker to ride Oregon OHV trails, even if your bike is plated.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:14 PM   #7
Jungle Man
frenzied adventurer

Oddometer: 495
I am up for some exploration rides before april. I found some fun roads I want to search more of, I need to pull them off the gps and see if I can make a route connecting the fun ones
"50% of our maintenance is caused by 50% of our maintenance." -Dave. "If you're too busy to hunt and fish, you're too busy" -Jase Robertson. "...it's not the years in your life, but the life in your years" -Abe Lincoln
Ride it like you stole it
Jungle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 12:35 AM   #8
gdaniels OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by matloik View Post
You need an OHV/ORV sticker to ride Oregon OHV trails, even if your bike is plated.
Good to know. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:36 AM   #9
gdaniels OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Man View Post
I am up for some exploration rides before april. I found some fun roads I want to search more of, I need to pull them off the gps and see if I can make a route connecting the fun ones
Nice, I saw a post of yours. Looked like you where up by Duggan Falls. I'm hoping to get a free day towards the end of April.
Old Yesterday, 02:37 PM   #10
Gunmenu
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Orv sticker and off road permit

In Oregon you need a off road sticker for your bike, if you have one for Washington they do honor that but not your license plate for doing trails. You also need an off road permit which is almost like a drivers license to ride Oregon trails. Let me know and I'll put a link up on how to get the permit, I think it's free but it takes an hour or two online to complete the course.
Gunmenu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:44 PM   #11
Indenturedx5

Oddometer: 439
There is always Bradley trails area west of longview also. Not a huge area for trails, but lots of good dual sport riding round about the area. Some unofficial locals built trails around also. The get pretty technical sometimes though.

Chris