ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2014, 08:43 PM   #1
onespeed OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
took bike for VIN inspection now its impounded

Hi all , been a member for a while , don't post a lot but my apologies for a longish post , but I do lurk , my bike got seized as stolen property this afternoon while I was at the inspection station here are the details as I know them
00' Honda xr650ly
purchased and titled originally in Nevada
was reported as stolen in 02' in Nevada
has been registered and titled in Nevada, Arizona , California , and Texas
has been registered to the person I bought it from and me in Washington state , ( no title was issued by Washington )

here's my part of the story
I bought the bike in June of 14' from a guy in PA, he bought the bike in Houston in 10' , when he bought it had a California title , he turned the Cali title in to Texas and received a Texas title and registration , then he moved to Washington in 12', he took the Texas title to the DOL and turned it in and received a Washington plate and registration , and was told the title was on its way

fast forward to June of 14' this is where I get involved m bike was on Oly Pen craigslist for a below market price , not shocking below but considering it was spring a few hundred low , it was pretty well kitted , big Clarke tanks, aftermarket skidplate , answer bars , and risers , and the wide foot pegs , so I responded to the ad , guy got back to me and we chatted back and forth it seemed pretty good so I asked about the title and registration and he said he lost the title , so I said go down to the DOL and get an affidavit and get it signed and notarized cause I couldn't get there till Sunday , so I get over there and the bike checks out , decent compression , nothing leaking , tires good , chain and sprockets good , he seems like a decent guy , so we make a deal , I get the affidavit , a bill of sale and a declaration of value ,
I get home and live gets hold and I let the bike sit for a month before I can get anything done , in the meantime I let him know I haven't switched the title cause I'm busy and I'm planning on painting it and rejetting and removing smog equipment he's cool with it
so flash forward to September , he sends me a new affidavit because it wasn't filled out right and notarized in 2 places , along with a new bill of sale and declaration of value , so I head down to the local DOL subagent and proceed to try and get the title transferred and a registaration for it , and they , without telling me why slide a inspection report and the contact info for the state patrol across the counter and clam up , they wouldn't say a word , I went home and called the DOL In Olympia and find out that yes the bike had been stolen in 02' in Nevada but I should be able to get it titled and registered in this state if the agent calls down to the DOL in Olympia and asks to have the flag removed , so I went to the county auditors office where a friend works and she called Olympia and had the flag removed and I walked out with a current registration and tags for my plate , and a promise the title was a few weeks out , long about the end of October , I still hadn't received the title so I called down to Olympia to inquire and was informed that I needed an inspection and I wasn't gonna get a title till I got one , I asked if they had planned on informing me of that or was I just supposed to know ,
fast forward to last week , I called the troopers to schedule the inspection m was told 8 weeks out , blah ,blah ,blah well low and behold I got a call back they had a cancellation for today and its mine so I loaded the bike grabbed the kids and headed to Marysville from Whidbey, get there on time give them my paper work she gets the VIN and goes into the office for 25 minutes , then comes back out to tell me that there had been a hit in Nevada from 02' and they had 10 minutes to respond so I wait for 30 minutes still no word back from Nevada by this time it was 4 o clock they closed and the bike is still in protective custody in Marysville and I got no news
after all that do I have any recourse with the guy I bought it from if I end up losing it ?
thanks for any help
onespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:13 PM   #2
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,757
This is pretty complicated because of the number of changes in ownership and the time involved. It is against the law to possess or sell stolen property, whether intentional or not.

You could put pressure on the seller for selling you a stolen bike. You might get your money back. If he refuses to refund your money you can work with authorities to put pressure on him. Generally they don't charge people who don't know something was stolen, but his dealings with you are a little shady so they might help you get your money back.

Your other option is to file civil charges against him. I'm not sure what the limit is in Washington for small claims court, but you wouldn't have to hire an attorney, who would get most of your money.

The last option is Judge Judy.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:24 PM   #3
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,488
No clear title, no deal, that's my motto.

You have all day tomorrow and Friday to try and figure out how to unfuck the situation.

Answer me this, how in the fuck did you buy the bike from a guy in Pennsylvania and then buy it off an Olympic Peninsula Craigs List ad?
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:26 PM   #4
onespeed OP
Adventurer

I didn't see any red flags

When I met the guy I didn't see any red flags , nice house , nice wife , other bikes in the garage , let me use his bathroom , I think he didn't know either , he's still answering my texts , and emailed copy's of his copy's of the Texas and California titles ,
Forgot to mention , that the Washington registration shows a brand from Nevada
I'm guessing it is branded as a theft recovery , and the insurance company or the Nevada police didn't close the loop
I mean how could it have made it through California's system if it showed stolen on the national database ?
Old 12-10-2014, 09:29 PM   #5
onespeed OP
Adventurer

Never in Pennsylvania

I bought from a guy in Port Angles or as I abbreviated
PA sorry for the confusion
Old 12-10-2014, 09:37 PM   #6
onespeed OP
Adventurer

I'm a clear title or no deal guy too

Everything checked out , signed and notarized affidavit from the sub agent in PA current Washington state plate with tabs and registration , I figured honest mistake he lost the title could happen to anyone
By the way Guns , the trooper let me take the tank bag off of it
Old 12-10-2014, 10:42 PM   #7
Tha Rick
Shake and bake!

Oddometer: 5,261
I had something of the same, bought a KTM 525 from a dealer in Colorado, and was promised a title...Turns out the previous owner was in a divorce and the ex would not sign over the title.

Calling a title investigator, this put the guy and the dealer in a bit of of a situation, and got my $$ back.

Google Title investigators in your area, and follow up.

Hope all ends well!

It's not about tha bike nor tha ride; it's about tha adventure in life we all seek. Great memories are made of taking tha trail less traveled and explored.
Tha Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:54 PM   #8
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,323
Did you call in the vin# or check online if it was flagged before you bought it? I do that for anything questionable!! Hope it works out for you
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:58 PM   #9
shrubitup
Uncouth Sloth

Oddometer: 1,130
bought several dirt only bikes without titles after checking NICB.org first. Had my KX inspected on Monday at WSP in Bremerton. Gonna get me some registration and tabs next followed by title in 3 years. Never had a problem.

However, you got a problem.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:47 AM   #10
evilbologna
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
The fact that the bike has been registered in multiple jurisdictions without issue tells me its the system thats fucked up. As in the bikes been flagged when really its been sorted out a long time ago and someone made a clerical error. Im not familiar with the specific laws of Washington but I imagine they cant be that different. Become a phone pest and dont let it go.
evilbologna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:36 AM   #11
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,457
Sounds like a clerical error to me. Someone working at a DMV or LEO agency probably simply forgot to remove the "stolen" from the system whenever it was recovered. Weird, because most DMV records are purged after so many years - and 12 years if much longer. As long as the VIN on the bike matches all of your paperwork, that is. Keep trying, then contact a lawyer for a consult.
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:53 AM   #12
Crocker
Just passing through

Oddometer: 4,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrubitup View Post
bought several dirt only bikes without titles after checking NICB.org firstl
Didn't know about that site, thanks.

I usually only buy from a dealer so take it for granted that the title is clear, but as I'm going to go check out a couple bikes off of CL this week I'll be sure to run the VIN on top of verifying the title matches the bike.
Crocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:44 AM   #13
dhallilama
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocker View Post
Didn't know about that site, thanks.

I usually only buy from a dealer so take it for granted that the title is clear, but as I'm going to go check out a couple bikes off of CL this week I'll be sure to run the VIN on top of verifying the title matches the bike.

I've bought a used bike and a used car from reputable dealers with a "clear title"... only to find the vehicle had been reported stolen in some other jurisdiction at some point in the past and not cleared.

both vehicles came up clean on NICB, both had titles in the state i bought them in, the car had a clean carfax.

the bike wasn't too bad... a series of letters and phone calls got it straitened out.

the car... well, i got to sit in the back of a cop car and my vehicle was impounded. car was reported stolen 6 years earlier in Arizona, had two owners after that, one traded it in at the dealer i bought the car from. it really was all legit... just a clerical omission of vehicle recovery after the theft. nothing on NICB as there was no insurance claim. got the car back a week later.

now i run every VIN through the local sheriff.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:21 PM   #14
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,506
Where did they impound the bike? Are they charging you storage? Last I knew, impound fees were $27.00 per day. That was about 10 years ago so they are sure to be higher now. It does not take long for the fees to exceed the value of the vehicle.

Hopefully once the clerical error is rectified, you will not owe thousands on storage fees.
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 04:02 PM   #15
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 3,031
Speaking of which, did you get the bike back?

Though...I suppose it's hard to type in handcuffs ;)

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote