ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2013, 08:36 PM   #1501
iJabberwocky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
Thought I'd posted this before-

The workaround from Beehive Reservoir, through South Wenatchee, and up #2 Canyon, over the top and down to Mission Creek Road (FR7100) is not a good route anymore. The Forest Circus has closed the lower section of 7100 between Peavine and Cashmere to ALL MOTORIZED TRAFFIC. In addition, since they are finally doing active road work on tat section, Monday-Thursday it is closed to ALL TRAFFIC due to crews and equipment on the road.

I have no idea in Bog's name why they're doing this. That section of road has had one washout, very low down on the Cashmere side, in the 25 years I've been here. They waited two years to repair it, and then had it fixed in a day when there was a fire above it. The upper section, above Peavine, has been washed out for what, four years now?

Anyhoo- the new route is Beehive Reservoir, then slab through Wenatchee to Cashmere. There's a possibility of going out Tronsen Ridge Trail near Haney Meadows and then over to Ruby Creek, but it would be single track exploration. If you can get to Ruby Creek, it's a good FS road. From there you can go past Camas Meadows and drop down into Brender Canyon behind Cashmere. The lower section of that road is usually badly rutted.

HTH,

1911fan
My buddy and I are doing the WABDR finally on Aug 29th. I think we are going to come out off 9712 to Blewett then down to Leavenworth to stay with Dave and Laurie. Go in Derby and up 7401 to French corral then over to Ardenvoir and up. Can't wait...hope for no fires this year. Friends of ours were evacuated last night up at the lake. Their house was ok but as you know others didn't make out so well. Hopefully see you soon. : )
Old 07-20-2013, 09:05 PM   #1502
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 5,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by iJabberwocky View Post
I agree, I ride most of them all season and there are tons of riding areas around here. Just making a suggestion.
\
I was up at Leavenworth yesterday with the kids to take part in the atmosphere (even though it was 98F) and thinking I might bring the DR up next time to ride Icicle Creek road. Looks good and I assume it is open, right?
Old 07-20-2013, 10:07 PM   #1503
iJabberwocky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ricketts View Post
\
I was up at Leavenworth yesterday with the kids to take part in the atmosphere (even though it was 98F) and thinking I might bring the DR up next time to ride Icicle Creek road. Looks good and I assume it is open, right?
There is much better riding then up Icicle creek rd. It dead ends at a hiking trail, not worth the ride. I would recommend heading up to Sugarloaf, Chumstick and Maverick Saddle. The trails up out of Maverick should be open in the next few weeks.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:46 PM   #1504
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
Thought I'd posted this before-
If you can get to Ruby Creek, it's a good FS road. From there you can go past Camas Meadows and drop down into Brender Canyon behind Cashmere. The lower section of that road is usually badly rutted.
HTH,
1911fan
If you mean the Camas Creek Road that goes from Camasland down to Taber Rd and then Brender Canyon Rd into Cashmere, yes that road (Camas Creek Road) is heavily and deeply rutted right now and would be dangerous to most on a big bike with luggage. Good riders can make it on Big Bikes but there's been more than a few broken bones on that section of road, especially when wet.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #1505
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,913
I don't ride it when I even think it might be wet. It's one of the few roads I wish they would gate seasonally. Seems like every spring, the 4X4 idiots compete to make the ruts much worse while the ground is still soft.
I rode the 990 up it many times without incident. But it was work.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #1506
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by iJabberwocky View Post
My buddy and I are doing the WABDR finally on Aug 29th. I think we are going to come out off 9712 to Blewett then down to Leavenworth to stay with Dave and Laurie. Go up the Chumstick to Eagle Creek Road to French corral then over to Ardenvoir and up.
Funner. Less slab.

I went up to the Peavine/7100 area today, and the tank trap is still there. If I'd had a shovel I'd have done a little user maintenance to widen up the south end access. It's a bit narrow and right along the streambed, which is a few feet below. I hiked south past the tank trap a bit and found that they have trenched the road to allow Mission Creek to cross it. Easy crossing, gentle slope. The water is about four feet wide and 4-6" deep.

They've done a lot of work to the washout. The downstream/north end has had the little culvert removed, the upstream/south end has had the big culvert removed and has been contoured to a gentle slope. Easily rideable.
The only bad part would be the narrow section about halfway along the lower section of the washout. Take off the inboard saddlebag before attempting it, and maybe have a riding partner standing in the streambed to push you pack up if you start to go over. Very doable on small bikes. Best crossing is just outside the pic on the right, so stay out of the water and cross higher up- especially heading north; it'll be a lot easier. Southbound you could drop in about where I'm standing and just go up the stream and up the slope, but it'll do more damage.

Here's a pic from last summer for reference. I took the pic above from about halfway up on the right side.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.

1911fan screwed with this post 07-21-2013 at 02:03 PM Reason: Added content
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #1507
Sethro303
Master of Disaster

Oddometer: 291
Awesome info

Hi all!!
I must say, this is my first post but I have been lurking for quite some time. Everybody that has contributed to this thread with info and route info (like 1911s' recent route scouting) I owe a big thank you to. It has all been incredibly helpful in planning my upcoming WABDR trip with a couple buds.
We are planning 3 days from border to border, running South to North, starting Aug 16 in Stevenson. We will be on a DRZ400E, a KTM400EXC and a KTM520MXC (all plated) so we are packing light and moving quick.
Sethro303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:31 PM   #1508
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethro303 View Post
We are planning 3 days from border to border

That will be fast! Let us know how it goes!

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:47 PM   #1509
rote_baron
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Just finished the WABDR on Saturday, riding North to South. Here's some pics of the washout area on Mission Creek. Very doable on small bikes...

Here are some pics of the tank trap

2nd water crossing...

What the washout looked like on Thursday...

rote_baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:42 AM   #1510
krussell
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
Did a day trip from Portland Sunday that included Section 1 North to South. Leap frogged at the start with a group of five that was faster than I am but stopped often. Didn't do the ice caves but did run into Trout Lake for lunch. The little cafe in the chevron station makes a killer chicken sandwich and really good fries, it's about 6 miles off the route. I left the gas station in Carson at 8:20, hit US12 a bit at after 4, and had a leisurely lunch with a 12 mile detour to get there. Pavement back to Portland on FS25, WA503, I-5. There was probably 50 northbound BMWs on 25. Mostly groups of 1-3, likely heading north from the rally in Salem.

http://krussell.smugmug.com/Motorcyc...0670339_n52stg
https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...251ecae697d34a

Old 07-22-2013, 10:07 AM   #1511
Biston
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by rote_baron View Post
Just finished the WABDR on Saturday, riding North to South. Here's some pics of the washout area on Mission Creek. Very doable on small bikes...
Wait.. so you went thru the original trail and didnt have to detour around anything?
Im sorry ...Im confused
So no need to go to wenatchee and slab to cashmere to rejoin trail.

One month till my trip and i hate riding on the road (with my current tractor gearing) that washout looks fun!

Oh and thanks 1911 for scouting !! you rock!

Biston screwed with this post 07-22-2013 at 10:13 AM
Biston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:58 PM   #1512
Sethro303
Master of Disaster

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbedient View Post

That will be fast! Let us know how it goes!
I surely will! I'm currently working on grouping the GPS tracks into a 3 day ride.

RoteBaron and KRussel Thanks for the pics!!
Sethro303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:39 PM   #1513
Sapling
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 413
Glad to see people getting through 7100 RD. It sure saves time.
Sapling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:43 PM   #1514
rote_baron
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
We did go through the washout. We had checked with the Forest Service and they indicated that 2 wheeled vehicles could get through. They were actually doing work up there at the time - removing the old culvert. After talking with them for a while they let us pass when they took a break. If you go through be aware that if they are actively working on the road they may not let you through. Also I wouldn't recommend it for big bikes with large luggage/panniers.
rote_baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:51 PM   #1515
Biston
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by rote_baron View Post
We did go through the washout. We had checked with the Forest Service and they indicated that 2 wheeled vehicles could get through. They were actually doing work up there at the time - removing the old culvert. After talking with them for a while they let us pass when they took a break. If you go through be aware that if they are actively working on the road they may not let you through. Also I wouldn't recommend it for big bikes with large luggage/panniers.
Awesome! awesome! awesome! we are on a dr650 and an xr600r both well sorted with soft bags traveling light and fast....we are not concerned with difficulty..we love it! haha...well pack a few cold ones for the fs guys working up there. you made my day baron! ill still have the detour in the montana but would love to never use it! thanks for the info!
cheers!
Biston is offline   Reply With Quote