ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2013, 10:32 AM   #1576
Crickpicker
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Labor Day Week

Looking for riding partner(s) for doing the entire WABDR from South to North the first week of September. I'm open to camping any or all of it and prefer to not rush the trip (5-6 days is fine with me). I'm also open to riding as a group or just keeping track of each other several times a day. Riding a DR650 and plan on traveling fairly light...first time on the WABDR. Interested?
Crickpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:11 PM   #1577
Rover31
formerly tdfox

Oddometer: 661
updates

Couple of updates for the Cashmere area...

#1 south of town
So the FS is not receptive to our thoughts on opening the Mission Creek Rd.
At this time they are waiting for an aerial study to be completed. This study will determine if enough soil stabilization has taken place to prevent or reduce the potential for flash flooding. Translation if enough vegetation has grown they might open it up to us (motos). I had another fruitless conversation today with a FS individual who understands the issue but is doing his job...
So use the workarounds for this area. There are fun ones!
#1a the Colockum workaround area is on fire that option is currently closed. Looks like the only working legal route is the side-route to Blewett Pass and then 3 options there to get north. 1 slab and 2 dirty. Another good option is for midpoint starters to start in Leavenworth and get on the dirt there. Oh and don't forget about Swakane Cny north of Wenatchee.

#2 north of town
The 7400 Rd that is a main connector road is labeled as closed for logging. The conversation I just had with another FS individual gave me great info.
The loggers will be done with the logging this week. The loader equipment will be out this week with the rest of the equip next week. He asked "are you on a motorcycle?" "Yep!" "Oh well you guys can get around the equipment I wouldn't worry about it especially if you are on the weekend." He stated they are only hauling loads in the mornings. He again was very cool about it.
Basically the road is open to us, so have fun on it, it will be dusty for a while!

#3 in town
If you need moto help Cashmere Powersports will be closed next week (it's always closed on weekends!), Mitch and his family are going on vacation. If you need parts/oil/tires you will have to go to Wenatchee.

You like Mexican? You like cheap!?
Eat at a little hole in the wall place called Taquera El Chavo, not downtown but on Sunset, oh it is soooo good!

T
KTM65SX, KX65
<><
Rover31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:51 AM   #1578
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,355
Quick ride report from 7/29 and 7/30. Four of us on a R12GS, Super Ten, F650GS twin, and KTM 640 Adv.

Section 1 (Carson - Packwood): Open and in pretty good shape. We ran it exactly as published. Worst problem is washboards on grades, especially FR23. Dust is bad at times.

Section 2 (Packwood - Ellensburg): Bethel Ridge was nice. But we ran into trouble climbing up from 410 on 1711 (just after the little 513 detour) - there is a fairly steep pitch that is extremely rocky with some big ones right in the tire tracks. (Edit: In re-reading this thread, I see this hill has gained a bit of a reputation and a name - Baby Head Hill.) I made it on my Super Ten, but it was ugly and to be honest, I wouldn't have tried it if I knew it was going to be so nasty. Another guy (who is a pretty decent dirt rider) was stopped mid-way up with a burned up clutch so he and another turned around and retreated to Whistling Jack's for drinks. A couple of us retreated down the hill by an easier route; I sure as heck wasn't going down the hill I just came up unless I had to. As to the easier route, unless you want the challenge, I'd suggest that after you turn off 410 going N, stay on 1701 to turn onto 1712 which eventually goes to the top of the hill. 1712 is very rocky also, but never both steep and rocky like 1711.

BTW, those of you using Benchmarks will note that it doesn't show 1711 going through to join 1712. It does, but the section not on the BM is the tough area.

- Mark

markjenn screwed with this post 07-31-2013 at 06:20 PM
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:23 AM   #1579
Biston
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Thanks rover good info! anybody know/think the kittitas fire is going to close any of the trail north of ellensburg?
Biston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:23 AM   #1580
Hawa
The Himalayan Winds

Oddometer: 8
Just finished running the bdr with my brother. We had a great run. I left Seattle area Saturday morning and headed to Stevenson. Hit the Canadian border last night (Tuesday). We didn't head down 7100 instead we took the beehive route. Rob at independent performance is a nice guy to help you out with mechanic needs in wenache and he's open Mondays.

A pinch flat and bent rim on the 650 dakar was the only set backs. I suggest taking the easier route just above elensburg. That road is passable and guarantees a good nights sleep.

I'll post more when we finish the kettle valley railway in bc.
Hawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:16 PM   #1581
Dread Pendragon
Slartibartfast

Oddometer: 2,217
I'm going to try to update our WABDR trip report during the ride. I'm tagging along with 5 brothers. I think I'm the only advrider inmate so I decided to do the trip report.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:36 PM   #1582
4corners14
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
This weeks run...

I got home last night at 2 am after running the route South to North. We, 3 of us, left Carson at about 4pm on Friday. A point of interest and caution....don't leave your protective clothing at home because you think it's going to be to hot to wear......one of our group got an ambulance ride out of the mountains up in the Nile. Didn't have knee protection on and crushed his patella on his right knee into 9 pieces in the rocks just up from Baby Head Hill. It would have been a lot worse if a young man in his Toyota PU hadn't been up playing in the hills and come down that hill at exactly the right moment. I don't know how we would have got him to the bottom. We skipped the top half of section 5 and ran up 97 to Conconully and finished the route. 3 flats, a couple of bent bars, a torn out saddlebag sewed back together with wire later, and it's done! Talk about an exercise in patience and ingenuity. Perseverance!
4corners14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #1583
SnakeBreak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Some time late August or the first week of September

I am planning on doing this solo late in August or early September. Hopefully, I can meet some you. I will be riding the KTM 990 ADV Orange, with a Orange helmet. Stop and say hello if you see me camping.

SnakeBreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:14 PM   #1584
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBreak View Post
I am planning on doing this solo late in August or early September. Hopefully, I can meet some you. I will be riding the KTM 990 ADV Orange, with a Orange helmet. Stop and say hello if you see me camping.

Are you looking to do all of it or a portion?? I've been contemplating doing the route for some time. I'll be attending Wetfest and I think I may try to do half the route on my way back home to Bellingham. Shoot me a pm
One Fat Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #1585
Smellyhound
Happy Wanderer

Oddometer: 291
http://www.inciweb.org/incident/3567/

Just in case anybody is interested in keeping up to date. Normally updated daily. This is specific to the Colockum TARPS fire, but others are listed under each state (home page upper right hand corner I believe) so you can check Oregon etc.
-Peterman-
Smellyhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:11 AM   #1586
Erndog
dirt relocation service

Oddometer: 103
Fire

Hopefully the heavy rain we've had overnight here in Moses Lake they've been getting in the hills too. If nothing else it'll knock down the dust and smoke a bit for this weekend's ride. :)
Old 08-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #1587
Homercules
Doh!

Oddometer: 22
fyi

A group of 5 of us on 2 Drzs and 3 KLRs are going to head North to South starting on Aug 19 after hitting the Whipsaw trails near Princeton BC. Just trying to get up to speed on re-routes and bypass's now!
Homercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:33 PM   #1588
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,493
After talking to my buddy last night.over some.beers it looks like we're gonna shoot for sometime around the 19th as well. Heading from North to South. Probably end up doing a loop from Bellingham to Hwy20, South on WABDR then hitting I-90 back west and then North up I-5. Might try to convince him to go further West cause I really wanna ride the Olympic Peninsula too.
One Fat Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:45 PM   #1589
gizmo123
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Homercules - Whipsaw you'll love, the couple of hard sections are harder than anything on the WA route. (should take you 4-5 hours)

Couple o bonus' for you..
Granite Creek graveyard outside Tulameen
The old tram towers above granite Creek
(both the above can be found on the way down from Whipsaw)

Stemwinder road near Hedley...French mine + cabins.. some of the best abandoned mines I've seen)

Mascot Mine - Hedley - Google it, then GO ON THE TOUR!!!! I'll say no more.
gizmo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #1590
hayshaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Found 2 items on the trail today. The sleeping bag was returned to the proper riders (someone slept cold) but also found a charging cable for an electronic device. Anyone?

Oh...also found a rattlesnake in the jungle section. A ra her feisty one at that. HA..

Tony

George, WA
hayshaker is offline   Reply With Quote