ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2014, 10:12 AM   #2506
EntiatRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobt2948 View Post
Rode the Cashmere to Chelan section today. No closures....No problems. There are some places where water has ran down the road and created some ruts but overall it is good.
French corral is still closed and entiat river road is closed at mile 25 as of yesterday. How did you ride the WABDR route? Not being an ass, just wondering as we patrol that area and Feds didn't tell me anybody came through the roadblock. Thx for the info.
EntiatRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:45 AM   #2507
bobt2948
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I went up Swakane to the top of Nahahum and then toward Ardenvoir. Not a closed sign in sight. No closed signs up Mud Cr. I was actually surprised and ready to turn around if I saw closures. I did see a FS crew above Ardenvoir picking brush but they just waved.
bobt2948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:23 PM   #2508
Biston
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Taking my second WABDR trip this saturday. This time only for a few days from e-burg to chelan and back (MY FAVORITE PART OF WABDR). Im taking one very experinced rider and 3 NOOBS! should be fun. We've got a guy from boise, a guy from southern mexico, and three guys from w. wash. they just re-opened 3500 out of e-burg according to inciweb, and cashmere to ardenvoir looks good...we will skip the 25m crk. and slide ridge areas just because I've read they are still mopping up around there and dont want to bother the fire crews. Maybe we will see some of you up there. (Xr600-me, dr650-other experienced rider, and 3drz400s....NOOOOOBS!) Love an adventure!!!

Biston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:40 PM   #2509
EntiatRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobt2948 View Post
I went up Swakane to the top of Nahahum and then toward Ardenvoir. Not a closed sign in sight. No closed signs up Mud Cr. I was actually surprised and ready to turn around if I saw closures. I did see a FS crew above Ardenvoir picking brush but they just waved.
Ahh. Sounds like you had a good trip then. Sure is a fun part of the route. Enjoy. Gonna hit a section towards Chelan on Tuesday. I hope my subframe stays intact after Mt. Clemans.
EntiatRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:31 PM   #2510
rgrhoward
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Day 1... Bust.

Well tried my hand at section 1 this morning. Shot down to Cascade Locks late last night and hoteled it. Things started smooth until i found out my Navigator 5 did not "read" the route correctly. It shows the end point but creates its own directions (highways, etc.).... My next stop is the GPS thread. Gotta get that figured out.

Anyway i did get to ride some of the 1st stretch, For a noob like me it was just too much to try and read the map and keep the bike level at the same time. So i hit a hardball and got out of there.

rgrhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:39 PM   #2511
sideup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
[QUOTE=rgrhoward;24967969]Well tried my hand at section 1 this morning. Shot down to Cascade Locks late last night and hoteled it. Things started smooth until i found out my Navigator 5 did not "read" the route correctly. It shows the end point but creates its own directions (highways, etc.).... My next stop is the GPS thread. Gotta get that figured out.

Anyway i did get to ride some of the 1st stretch, For a noob like me it was just too much to try and read the map and keep the bike level at the same time. So i hit a hardball and got out of there.

Happen to me the first time I rode section one. I have my GPS set to follow roads and it kept trying to direct me back to the main highway. Make sure your GPS is set to "off road" to follow the track.
Sherco 290 ST
sideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:41 PM   #2512
rgrhoward
Adventurer

Not going to lie, makes me feel better that i'm not the only one!

Happen to me the first time I rode section one. I have my GPS set to follow roads and it kept trying to direct me back to the main highway. Make sure your GPS is set to "off road" to follow the track.[/QUOTE]
Old 08-30-2014, 10:02 PM   #2513
dionbilt
energetic beginner

Oddometer: 256
. Not sure you should own an adventure bike if the first end of payment sign you came to had you turning around. With that said, everybody starts somewhere. Best advice I could give you is learn as much as you can about the different gps types. Many different formats but I would say that Garmin is the most used. most people will send you tracks in GPX format. Basecamp is another that is a great help in planning trips.
dionbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:05 PM   #2514
rgrhoward
Adventurer

I made it past the sign. HAHAHA Got turned around about NF65.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionbilt View Post
. Not sure you should own an adventure bike if the first end of payment sign you came to had you turning around. With that said, everybody starts somewhere. Best advice I could give you is learn as much as you can about the different gps types. Many different formats but I would say that Garmin is the most used. most people will send you tracks in GPX format. Basecamp is another that is a great help in planning trips.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:31 PM   #2515
Tom Myers
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
RG, sorry this didnt work out.

There are lots of settings to "know about" before setting off on a trip like this and every GPS is different.

The absolutely simplest way to do this is tn not use any of the navigation functions. The GPS is giving no commands. It simply displays the track on the screen, and you can see your location. You just ride, and choose turns in such a manner that (you can see that) you're following the track.

To do this, all you have to do is get the track to be visible (show on map). I like to change track color to "black" because Garmin doesnt use Black in their maps. But you can choose colors as you prefer. I recommend to choose a different than the new tracklog (that you will create as you ride).
Tom Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:15 PM   #2516
marlinjames
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
how is section 2 right now? packwood to 410?
marlinjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:22 PM   #2517
Trykart
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoebster View Post

Aug 16th 5 Teneres and a GS800. Going down Cleman mtn was mentally intensive as well towards Wenas rd.

Hey! That puddle looks familiar!

Trykart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:51 AM   #2518
cpallen
Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrhoward View Post
Well tried my hand at section 1 this morning. Shot down to Cascade Locks late last night and hoteled it. Things started smooth until i found out my Navigator 5 did not "read" the route correctly. It shows the end point but creates its own directions (highways, etc.).... My next stop is the GPS thread. Gotta get that figured out.

I'm just learning too but I think that you can just SHOW the tracks, or with Base Camp/Mapsource create a route from the track by setting a waypoint at every intersection where a turn is required and then create a route (for each section) by including all the waypoints. The GPS will create a track log but not show the track unless you tell it to. I have a street pilot 2720 and a GPSMap 62stc and have tried just following the track on the GPSMap. You really have to pay attention and I think that it would be worthwhile spending the time on the PC creating the route. But, have a map with you anyway - or two gps' AND a map.

I like the GPSMap although it you have to make a lot of setting changes to make it work nicely. Not so many options with the street gps'.
cpallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:40 AM   #2519
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,331
Not so open.
I rode double up this weekend from Conconully to nighthawk then a really nice loop back around to chellan and 25 mile, panning on continuing to Cashmere
When I entered 125 all was good, once I popped out on 8414? there was a sign saying closed due to high fire risk.
Then on the turn from mad river rd the road was blocked with a sign. still had a great time with an alt route over to Leavenworth.
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:33 PM   #2520
Maddaddy
Greg

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrhoward View Post
Things started smooth until i found out my Navigator 5 did not "read" the route correctly. It shows the end point but creates its own directions (highways, etc.).... My next stop is the GPS thread. Gotta get that figured out.
I can't stress this enough for anyone riding the backcountry. Be smarter than the equipment you use.
You should not go into the backcountry with out the following.
  • Someone who know where you are going in detail.
  • A buddy system.
  • Having a plan with contingencies.
  • How to read and navigate by paper map.
  • How to operate your GPS completely.
  • How to repair a flat and have the tools to do so.
  • A Personal Locator Beacon (SPOT or otherwise. The technology is cheap enough. No excuse not to have it.)
  • Extra layers or emergency blanket in-case you have to spend the night unplanned.
  • Enough water to get you through the day with some left over.
  • Snacks / Emergency ration.
  • First aid kit and know how to use it.

People die from stupid shit on a 'day hike' or 'day ride' because they are not ready for shit to go wrong.