ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #751
Ridetosea
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
pass it along

Are we talking about the Discover Pass? That is the only pass I have... Got it online.
When there is a fork in the trail, take it.
Ridetosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:00 PM   #752
DeFens
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
I would think that section 2 really wouldn't be the section to worry about so much in regards to snow.

Section 3 goes much higher in elev. and has a lot more "backside" type areas that are shaded and NE facing and will hold deep snowpack late into the season.

I haven't done sections 4,5&6 yet so cannot specifically comment about them however, I would be even more worried about them holding late snow than I would section 3.
That's what I figured too - I'm pretty familiar with the Lion Rock/Liberty area, and it won't melt out until July. That's why I figured on checking out Segment 2; I was hoping it would melt out much sooner, with more open, desert exposure. I'm also more concerned about the ridability of that segment for my wife - don't want to get her into something that will result in multiple tipovers, injury, divorce, that sort of thing. Besides, looks like a fun place for a day ride in the Jeep with my buddy.
2001 BMW F650GS Dakar
And a fluffy cat named Chester....
DeFens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:32 PM   #753
Maddaddy
Greg

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeFens View Post
That's what I figured too - I'm pretty familiar with the Lion Rock/Liberty area, and it won't melt out until July. That's why I figured on checking out Segment 2; I was hoping it would melt out much sooner, with more open, desert exposure. I'm also more concerned about the ridability of that segment for my wife - don't want to get her into something that will result in multiple tipovers, injury, divorce, that sort of thing. Besides, looks like a fun place for a day ride in the Jeep with my buddy.

**SHAMELESS PLUG**
Have you considered taking an off road course? I teach for Puget Sound Safety Off Road. We have an intermediate course that teaches traction control, terrain, and obstacles. I've learned NEVER to teach my wife anything in these matters and leave it to someone else. Save your marriage.

We are also doing an "on the WABDR" training event in July.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:31 PM   #754
littlebull
tiny mighty mo

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridetosea View Post
Are we talking about the Discover Pass? That is the only pass I have... Got it online.

Thanks. I couldn't remember the name of the darn thing. Here's the link for purchase:

http://discoverpass.wa.gov/faq/#who
07' F650GS Dakar
littlebull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:06 PM   #755
DeFens
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddaddy View Post
**SHAMELESS PLUG**
Have you considered taking an off road course? I teach for Puget Sound Safety Off Road. We have an intermediate course that teaches traction control, terrain, and obstacles. I've learned NEVER to teach my wife anything in these matters and leave it to someone else. Save your marriage.

We are also doing an "on the WABDR" training event in July.
Heh heh. Thanks for the plug! I took the intermediate course from Gary on my F650GS last year, and my wife and I are both signed up to do it again in early June. I thought the course was great - and I thoroughly agree with letting someone else deal with teaching a significant other. I'm a former PSIA ski instructor, and current NRA instructor myself.

My wife isn't a total neophyte, either. She's taken her F650 on a variety of rough FS and BC Provincial forest roads, sometimes while laden with a week's worth of camping gear. I just want to make sure she has a great experience.
2001 BMW F650GS Dakar
And a fluffy cat named Chester....
DeFens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:19 PM   #756
Maddaddy
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeFens View Post
Heh heh. Thanks for the plug! I took the intermediate course from Gary on my F650GS last year, and my wife and I are both signed up to do it again in early June. I thought the course was great - and I thoroughly agree with letting someone else deal with teaching a significant other. I'm a former PSIA ski instructor, and current NRA instructor myself.

My wife isn't a total neophyte, either. She's taken her F650 on a variety of rough FS and BC Provincial forest roads, sometimes while laden with a week's worth of camping gear. I just want to make sure she has a great experience.
HA!
I tried to teach my wife to ski. ended badly. Hired a ski instructor the next day. Cover the EXACT SAME THINGS in the SAME WORDS. By the end of the day she was skiing.

try and get to the sand and gravel pits. Those are HUGE learning points because the principles are true for all looses surfaces above and below water.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #757
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,303
Milk Canyon gated at Maloy

There is a new landowner closure 1 mile in on Maloy road southbound: "until further notice" It would be inconvenient if you were going north, to be straight you would have to climb back to Cleman Mt and go east to Evans Canyon. Maybe not much unless it was getting dark or something.

The red gates show on the Wenas greendot map:

http://www.dnr.wa.gov/Publications/a...eendot_map.pdf
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:31 PM   #758
Maddaddy
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by what broke now View Post
There is a new landowner closure 1 mile in on Maloy road southbound: "until further notice" It would be inconvenient if you were going north, to be straight you would have to climb back to Cleman Mt and go east to Evans Canyon. Maybe not much unless it was getting dark or something.

The red gates show on the Wenas greendot map:

http://www.dnr.wa.gov/Publications/a...eendot_map.pdf
According to my maps, those gates indicated in red are not on the official trail.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #759
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,303
Ahh... no worries then.
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:49 AM   #760
SeattleTrails
KTMer

Oddometer: 21
Correct. The WABDR goes down Evans Canyon and then through the yellow gate (closed seasonally for winter feeding) on that PDF map.

Quote:
According to my maps, those gates indicated in red are not on the official trail.
SeattleTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #761
Big Spag
ONESPEED

Oddometer: 102
WABDR Option

We are running the WABDR south to north the end of August. Looking for a good dirt alternative route to get back to Stevenson. Riding KTM 625 /450 and DR650. Any good must do routes to get back?
Old 05-17-2012, 06:20 AM   #762
Maddaddy
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Spag View Post
We are running the WABDR south to north the end of August. Looking for a good dirt alternative route to get back to Stevenson. Riding KTM 625 /450 and DR650. Any good must do routes to get back?
Pretty much anything will parallel the WABDR. Immediate west and you are in serious mountains. East you start getting in to wildlife reserves, the Hanford Nuclear site and Yakima Training Center.

There are plenty of NF roads that run along the WABDR.

You could go over the passes @ I-90 and take Stampede Pass and dump you back out on 410.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:23 PM   #763
michaelyogi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Non ethanol?!

The Carlton General Store has Non ethanol unleaded AND supreme! You gotta' ask inside but Geoff has got it.
Also stocking 4 stroke oil... Amsoil I think.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #764
Yukon Ho!
We can go ANYWHERE!

Oddometer: 147
Ethanol-free, in Bingen too

I filled up on ethanol-free premium at Carlton last Saturday, got ~70mpg on that tanks-full. Some interesting riding talent and stories those guys have too.

There's another ethanol-free station near the start of the BDR, in Bingen, WA.
http://pure-gas.org/station?station_id=7219
Yukon Ho! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #765
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,933
Quote:
You could go over the passes @ I-90 and take Stampede Pass and dump you back out fanon 410.
Thought about that, but haven't gotten there yet. Directions? NF road numbers? Would help. New job, weekends off again, probably a little truck camping with the SO this summer and moto camping too.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.

1911fan screwed with this post 05-30-2012 at 09:33 PM
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote