ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2011, 08:58 AM   #121
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by WU7X View Post
I'm always afraid that I'll be holding people up. I'm to poor a rider to go fast . And I'm bringing my camera too.
We're getting to be quite a crowd, lloks like half-dozen of us from the Wenatchee area. I think we're going to head down the night before and start the ride headed North from the campground. C'mon along!

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:36 AM   #122
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,259
Even if the group starts out big in Stevenson, we'll certainly break down into natural groups of 3-4 to do the riding. And yes the mantra is, "this is not a race".
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:25 PM   #123
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,880
Timmer is right

This is not a race. I am planning on heading out of Spokane the day before. Let me know if you have a favorite campground down there.

Thanks,

Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
We're getting to be quite a crowd, lloks like half-dozen of us from the Wenatchee area. I think we're going to head down the night before and start the ride headed North from the campground. C'mon along!

1911fan
I was born lost and take no pleasure in being found." ~ John Steinbeck

WU7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:02 PM   #124
PNW ULY
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
I am planning on heading out of Spokane the day before. Let me know if you have a favorite campground down there.
Not familiar with Stevenson, but it looks like the best tent camping area would be Timber Lake Campground (http:www.timberlakecampgroundandrvpark.com). No affiliation, but a quick search for camping in the area only lists Timber Lake, Beacon Rock State Park with first-come, first-serve campsites, and a third RV Campground that doesn't even list tent camping... The rate at Timber Lake appears similiar to the State Park ($25 +/-). . .

I'd like to have an event kick-off beer (one) at the Walking Man Brewery - - looks interesting from the WADBR website.

Paul
PNW ULY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:44 PM   #125
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,121
Quote:
Let me know if you have a favorite campground down there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW ULY View Post
Not familiar with Stevenson, but it looks like the best tent camping area would be Timber Lake Campground (http:www.timberlakecampgroundandrvpark.com).
+1 on Timberlake Campground, it's a very nice private campground with all the facilities;
nice bathroom and shower, and an indoor meeting area with kitchenette.

Three miles up the hill from the River/Railroad, up in the woods and quiet.
I stayed there twice for the beginning night of the last two years of Sound Rider's "Sasquatch" rides.

Moto Friendly, it would make a good start point for your ride
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:08 PM   #126
WU7X
The Old Fart

Looks like I'll have to give them a call!

thanks for the info guys. This thing is really starting to look good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
+1 on Timberlake Campground, it's a very nice private campground with all the facilities;
nice bathroom and shower, and an indoor meeting area with kitchenette.

Three miles up the hill from the River/Railroad, up in the woods and quiet.
I stayed there twice for the beginning night of the last two years of Sound Rider's "Sasquatch" rides.

Moto Friendly, it would make a good start point for your ride

Old 02-15-2011, 07:24 PM   #127
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

There's an inexpensive campground across the Columbia River plus a number up on the Wind River Road towards Mt. St. Helens. So a search on Gifford Pinchot campgrounds (http://tinyurl.com/4pje3tq). I'll be camping at the DS rally in Stevenson at the City Park.

Quote:
thanks for the info guys. This thing is really starting to look good.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Old 02-15-2011, 07:27 PM   #128
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
Howdy SeattleTrails,

I don't know you, to my knowledge I have never met you or rode with you, I don't know if you have any Ural riding experience or have ridden with Ural's in the dual sport environment, that being the case what follows is NOT to be taken personal, its a request for information.

You stated in an earlier post that you wouldn't take a Ural on this ride, I watched all of the videos you posted and unless the grades are much steeper then they appear in the video and I know that this can happen, or you didn't include film of the nasty sections of the route I didn't see anything that a Ural shouldn't be able to do. I have ridden my Ural in the Dirty Face Dual Sport Rally a couple of times, I have ridden it in the Black Dog Dual Sport Rally for the last five years, have ridden it OVER Mengel Pass in Death Valley, have ridden it in Moab and many other places most folks consider impossible for the Ural.

That being the case I am asking this question in all seriousness, do you honestly think that it is un-wise to take a Ural on this dual sport ride? I do NOT want to go on this ride if it is honestly unsafe or if doing so would pose a burden for others that we may ride with; on the other hand it looks like it would be a lot of fun.

My plan if I and other Ural riders do this is to HAVE FUN and NOT be in a race, I would rather take six days to do this and enjoy the ride, the views, the camp fire and the camaraderie of others rather then dash from one end to the other and miss the beauty of the area and photo opportunities the ride will present.
Mr. Cob, did you get an answer?

Given that the original mapping crew of what we're planning to travel included an SUV AND knowing your riding skills, I believe your URAL should have little difficulty.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Old 02-15-2011, 07:45 PM   #129
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
Mr. Cob, did you get an answer?

Given that the original mapping crew of what we're planning to travel included an SUV AND knowing your riding skills, I believe your URAL should have little difficulty.
Howdy Tim,

No, SeattleTrails, didn't reply to my post. I wasn't trying to be a smartass, I asked what I thought were honest questions. I honestly DO NOT want to be a burden to any other riders who may be in a group that will allow the Urals to travel with them, its not my idea of fun to be constantly held up or helping someone who doesn't have basic skills, a machine in good shape or who knowingly takes on terrain that is beyond their skills or machine. As I have NOT ridden this route or in some of the areas it will cover I would appreciate ANY information from ANYONE who is familiar with the route or the terrain it crosses.

Like I have posted before I don't look on this event an a race and won't ride it as if it were one, I want to do this for FUN. Still I don't want my fun to disrupt that of others. So Until someone gets maps and has a chance to do a bit of "map recon" as to by-passes for the real rough parts all we have to judge this route by is the short videos that have been posted. I know for a fact that often times photos and videos don't show how difficult some roads or trails are, that being the case I asked the guy who should have been able to answer the questions.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:45 PM   #130
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Mr. Cob:

You never would be a burden on any ride that I do. Likely if you need a workaround, I'm going to need one as well. And my ride is going to be a fun one. I've ridden sections of it in the area from Lake Wenatchee south and nothing would deter me from it.

That being said, I'll go right to the guys who are featured in the DVD about the route when it premiers in a few weeks. As soon as I know something concrete, I'll post it.

Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
Howdy Tim,

No, SeattleTrails, didn't reply to my post. I wasn't trying to be a smartass, I asked what I thought were honest questions. I honestly DO NOT want to be a burden to any other riders who may be in a group that will allow the Urals to travel with them, its not my idea of fun to be constantly held up or helping someone who doesn't have basic skills, a machine in good shape or who knowingly takes on terrain that is beyond their skills or machine. As I have NOT ridden this route or in some of the areas it will cover I would appreciate ANY information from ANYONE who is familiar with the route or the terrain it crosses.

Like I have posted before I don't look on this event an a race and won't ride it as if it were one, I want to do this for FUN. Still I don't want my fun to disrupt that of others. So Until someone gets maps and has a chance to do a bit of "map recon" as to by-passes for the real rough parts all we have to judge this route by is the short videos that have been posted. I know for a fact that often times photos and videos don't show how difficult some roads or trails are, that being the case I asked the guy who should have been able to answer the questions.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Old 02-15-2011, 10:40 PM   #131
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 3,734
I've driven two of the legs in a 2-wheel drive car, back in the '70's

The Ural won't have any problems, but you know that.

thetourist screwed with this post 02-16-2011 at 01:29 PM
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:25 PM   #132
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,192
We have an insert along with the WABDR in the latest TT mag.
thanks everyone for your support!!!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:06 PM   #133
WU7X
The Old Fart

Can't wait to get the map and DVD!

I've told a couple friends in the ADV community here about both. I'm planning on having a pizza and beer night over here and showing the DVD. Hopefully can drum up a little business.

p.s. how does one get on the mailing list for the Touratech pamphlets?

Dale, the old fart

Old 02-20-2011, 08:25 AM   #134
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,512
Quote:
p.s. how does one get on the mailing list for the Touratech pamphlets?
I went to their website and ordered a catalog, and checked the 'Subscribe' box. I also ordered the Butler map and the DVD, so if anybody around Wenatchee wants to have a trip planning, DVD-watching beerfest let's get together.
It'll have to wait until I get back from Hawaii though. I seriously need a vacation!

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:57 PM   #135
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,192
the eagle has landed (@ TT)
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote