Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2010, 06:56 PM   #31
California
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 2,901
I saw a badass Ruck today! It was stretched, had a massive wide rear tire, like maybe 8 or 9 inches wide! Had an old school sissy bar and Ape Hangers! I'm guessing they were about 15" It looked totally cool, and it had a nice deep exhaust sound. Wish I could have gotten a pic, but traffic was suckish and I couldn't get back up near him after the first pass...

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
took the one less traveled by,
and that has made all the difference
California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:13 AM   #32
BlueRidgeRuckus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
the ruckus is a great adventure scooter..

check these threads but make sure you have lots of time to view the pics/stories..

WAN's Adventure across the USA on a Ruckus

TaeK The Food King

and this one is new..

LukeBunny's 2010 Adventure

we also have a ride scheduled in the Great Smoky Mountains Park in 2 weeks.. bunch of scoots.. mostly ruckus but there are some on other scoots.. all scoots welcome.. information here..

Smokies Fall Ruckus Rally 2010
BlueRidgeRuckus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:51 AM   #33
wannabe1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
Thanks for the links BlueRidgeRuckus, I have since gotten over my Ruckus fever, but if the right deal and mood comes over me then look out! That Smoky Mountain ride coming up would be a hoot. Ya'll have fun "taming" The Dragon.

5/7/13
I tamed my ruckus fever by getting a yamaha zuma 125, actually 2 since I started this post

wannabe1 screwed with this post 05-07-2013 at 11:57 AM
wannabe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:30 AM   #34
godbox
protopunkrocker

Oddometer: 69
Ruckus nOObism in NYC

Just got a '09 Ruckus yesterday.

After just spending some incredible riding time above San Francisco on a rented KTM 990 Adventure (from the fine folks @ Dubbelju), coming back to the riding conditions in & around NYC was somewhat deflating. Getting out of town on my GS is great, but it takes a while to get to some beautiful ride territory where it's potential can be unleashed.

Using the GS to commute into Manhattan from Greenpoint, Brooklyn had gotten to be somewhat of a chore, not to mention a waste of motorcycle capability. I'd had some idle thoughts about getting a scoot, but after returning from out west, I decided to go for it. Within one day of making the decision and researching the options, I had a Ruckus sitting curbside at home. I had seen them before and admired their spartan, stripped down appeal. And can 10,000 Chinese take-out deliverymen be wrong?

What a blast! This thing is such fun to get around town on, and I'm not worried about the inevitable NYC parking space knock over- a few scars might give it even more character. The perspective riding a scooter is so different and carefree, and to travel the spectrum from a 49cc to a 1200cc is hilarious. Yes, I'm keeping the BMW.

Currently stock, I think I will keep it pretty much that way, although I just found an Honda NH80 rear shock on eBay to throw on, after recommendations from one of the many Ruckus online sites. It's tempting to want to mess with the drowsy acceleration or throw on an aftermarket can for audio enhancement, but it seems like keeping it pure and embracing it's quirks is the way to go.

Any other Ruckus inmates in NYC?
godbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:58 PM   #35
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by godbox
Just got a '09 Ruckus yesterday.

After just spending some incredible riding time above San Francisco on a rented KTM 990 Adventure (from the fine folks @ Dubbelju), coming back to the riding conditions in & around NYC was somewhat deflating. Getting out of town on my GS is great, but it takes a while to get to some beautiful ride territory where it's potential can be unleashed.

Using the GS to commute into Manhattan from Greenpoint, Brooklyn had gotten to be somewhat of a chore, not to mention a waste of motorcycle capability. I'd had some idle thoughts about getting a scoot, but after returning from out west, I decided to go for it. Within one day of making the decision and researching the options, I had a Ruckus sitting curbside at home. I had seen them before and admired their spartan, stripped down appeal. And can 10,000 Chinese take-out deliverymen be wrong?

What a blast! This thing is such fun to get around town on, and I'm not worried about the inevitable NYC parking space knock over- a few scars might give it even more character. The perspective riding a scooter is so different and carefree, and to travel the spectrum from a 49cc to a 1200cc is hilarious. Yes, I'm keeping the BMW.

Currently stock, I think I will keep it pretty much that way, although I just found an Honda NH80 rear shock on eBay to throw on, after recommendations from one of the many Ruckus online sites. It's tempting to want to mess with the drowsy acceleration or throw on an aftermarket can for audio enhancement, but it seems like keeping it pure and embracing it's quirks is the way to go.

Any other Ruckus inmates in NYC?
Good choice on the Ruckus!
Definitely get an aftermarket shock as the stocker is a little light. I don't know about the NH80, but Daytona's cheap shock ($50-60) is fine. You might consider some really small mods that increase speed and acceleration without any real trade off. Blue clutch springs are 5 to 10 bucks. A variator and weights will be less than $100.

Get over the TotalRuckus.com. There's tons of people from NYC riding Ruck's under the regional section.
approachbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:41 AM   #36
straygypsy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Ruckus

I want a Ruckus,, I want a Ruckus,, & I want a big Ruckus,, They don,t make them anymore,, & even if they did ,they don,t sell them in Australia So that,s the end of that;; All you Blokes that have got one
straygypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:23 AM   #37
svejkovat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
You've just discovered a familair muse. I've been beating this drum for years here in various posts. I've been on and off again various bikes over the years. The one constant in my garage is my BMW R65, which will probably stay with me till the end. Funny thing is I'd always considered it my "scooter" being relatively smaller and more compact. About eight years ago an elderly family friend quit riding his 50cc Puch Newport and gave it to me. It sat in the garage for two years. What, me on a moped? I'm waaaaay to cool for that. One day I broke down and buzzed into town on it for a lark. I was instantly hooked. It was amazing to realize that I'd just spent half an hour kaniddling all over town at from 5 to 30mph and my face hurt from smiling the whole while.

Interestingly, I discovered 'adventure' within twenty miles of my home. There are so many places that seem to beckon a little bike that my motorcycles had othewise just ignored at 60mph. Alleys, vacant lots, old industrial sites, trails (unposted of course). Often it was sandals, jeans, t-shirt, and optional helmet. An experience apart from the motorcycles. Like you said, I'm keeping the BMW of course. No less wonderful an experience. Just different.

svejkovat screwed with this post 10-25-2010 at 07:19 AM
svejkovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:22 PM   #38
notarex
Can U taste the waste?

Oddometer: 1,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by svejkovat
Interestingly, I discovered 'adventure' within twenty miles of my home.
This is the key right here.

I've thought about getting rid of my Ruckus, but every time I ride it I come back with a smile on my face. I'm a big dude so I'm going to throw some money at it this winter to make it more comfy (a real fork, shock, padded seat). I'd like to do some camping off of it next year- maybe a tour of western Mass...

1963 CA95

2006 RUCKUS

To boldly go where no Ruckus has gone before...
notarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:36 PM   #39
rat42
n00b

Oddometer: 4
how can something so slow be so much fun?
rat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:34 PM   #40
SPOFF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by rat42 View Post
how can something so slow be so much fun?
It is always much more fun to ride a slow bike fast than it is to ride a fast bike slow. One of the most exhilarating rides I can remember was 40 years ago, racing a CT90 against another CT90. I doubt we exceeded 40 mph, but it was handlebar-to-handlebar racing on a twisty road. I finally got ahead by cheating: I reached over and flipped off my brother’s kill switch.
SPOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:14 PM   #41
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPOFF View Post
It is always much more fun to ride a slow bike fast than it is to ride a fast bike slow. One of the most exhilarating rides I can remember was 40 years ago, racing a CT90 against another CT90. I doubt we exceeded 40 mph, but it was handlebar-to-handlebar racing on a twisty road. I finally got ahead by cheating: I reached over and flipped off my brother’s kill switch.
Definitely! But that is only to a degree. Obviously you can't have more fun on a Ruckus than on a R6. BUT, I think it is different for a Ninja 250! Those things are just about the funnest street bikes you'll get!
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:09 PM   #42
klx250sfguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Hi, my name is Rob and I am a scooter addict

I just bought a low mileage 2003 Honda Ruckus (paid $900 for it and the seller threw in two brand new helmets, a brand new women's ICON textile jacket and a decent pair of leather gloves). Not a bad deal. Then I bought a set of BMX foot pegs and found a machine shop to fabricate some bushings to secure them to the frame (I've read about others cheaping out and the pegs falling off). I put about 80 kms on the Ruckus today, all in and around St. John's Newfoundland. As others have said, it's slow. Even my C70 is faster. But it's a hoot to ride and I got a helluva lot of compliments about it. This is one bike I am definitely going to keep. Here are a few pics of the Ruckus (and some of my other bikes, past and present).

klx250sfguy screwed with this post 05-08-2013 at 06:37 AM Reason: pics to add
klx250sfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #43
occasionaldirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Ruckus 150

occasionaldirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #44
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,629
I like the look of the STOCK Ruckus, what most of them wind up being just look ridiculous. Yes I know it is one of those get it or not things, but I just don't get it. I had a stock '07 Metropolitan, it was super slow, to slow to ride in town without getting run over. But at least it had a decent load carrying capacity, weightwise. I am to heavy for the Ruckus. I got a brand new 2012 Zuma 125 for around $3K OTD, and it will not only do 50-55 mph all day, but it will carry my weight and whatever I decide to pile on it. Now if Honda would build a 125cc version, that still looked exactly like the 50cc, and gave it a 350 pound or so load capacity, they might have a winner, especially if they would price it no higher than the Zuma 125, and I can't think of a single reason why they couldn't.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #45
klx250sfguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I like the look of the STOCK Ruckus, what most of them wind up being just look ridiculous. Yes I know it is one of those get it or not things, but I just don't get it. I had a stock '07 Metropolitan, it was super slow, to slow to ride in town without getting run over. But at least it had a decent load carrying capacity, weightwise. I am to heavy for the Ruckus. I got a brand new 2012 Zuma 125 for around $3K OTD, and it will not only do 50-55 mph all day, but it will carry my weight and whatever I decide to pile on it. Now if Honda would build a 125cc version, that still looked exactly like the 50cc, and gave it a 350 pound or so load capacity, they might have a winner, especially if they would price it no higher than the Zuma 125, and I can't think of a single reason why they couldn't.
I agree, I too like the stock version and, like you, wish they put a 125cc engine into it. In the meantime, I am enjoying mine for running up to the corner store and putt-putting around downtown St. John's.
klx250sfguy is offline   Reply With Quote