User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2010, 04:25 PM   #1
facetjoint OP
TONKA

Oddometer: 5,607
A Camera For Dummys

Well that about says it all. I need to get my camera for the road. Now let me state that I am a techno. mental midget. I have no idea what to look for. I am basically wanting a point and click but a half way decent quality picture. A few snazzy gadgets will come with it I am sure. I do not want to spend a lot of money as I have no intentions of tryint to capture the green flash at sunset at Maui. Any idead and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Bill
facetjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:05 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,563
Not in Ride Reports, moved to Equipment.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:26 PM   #3
AltRoute
AltRoute

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by facetjoint
Well that about says it all. I need to get my camera for the road. Now let me state that I am a techno. mental midget. I have no idea what to look for. I am basically wanting a point and click but a half way decent quality picture. A few snazzy gadgets will come with it I am sure. I do not want to spend a lot of money as I have no intentions of tryint to capture the green flash at sunset at Maui. Any idead and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Bill
simple would be a Point-and-shoot - but the one thing you have to remember is what makes a camera good - the lens - the best in the P&S is Canon - the PowershotSD has the fastest lens 2.8f - fast(er) lens means you can take better low light shots.

Canon PowerShot SD1300

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10...issd1300is.asp

but since you asked in Advrider - I am sure you are looking for one that will take a knock. But been shockproof also means you lose on the good quality lens - so the shots will not be as clean as the Canon

here are a couple under $200
Fujifilm FinePix XP10
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10...finepixp10.asp

Olympus Stylus Tough-6000
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0901/09...tylustough.asp

Panasonic DMC-TS1 (if I was going to get a cheap shockproof I would get this one)

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0901/09...nasonicft1.asp
AltRoute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:03 PM   #4
Sailorlite
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 364
I'd be inclined to start with a Canon A495 - not too expensive, uses AA batts., good picture quality. Keep it dry and don't drop it on the pavement and it will last forever.
Sailorlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:53 AM   #5
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
These are generally far more robust than normal cameras, cheap and extremely easy to operate. A bit bulky and not image quality isn't great, mind.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:17 AM   #6
PARIAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Quote:
These are generally far more robust than normal cameras, cheap and extremely easy to operate. A bit bulky and not image quality isn't great, mind.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:12 AM   #7
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Canon SD8850IS
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:30 AM   #8
AltRoute
AltRoute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC
Old 09-17-2010, 08:16 AM   #9
AltRoute
AltRoute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorlite
I'd be inclined to start with a Canon A495 - not too expensive, uses AA batts., good picture quality. Keep it dry and don't drop it on the pavement and it will last forever.
Spend the extra $20 and get the SD with a 2.8f - you'll thank me -
My old Camera SD800is had a 2.8f lens, my wife's had a 3.2f lens - I took some shots one evening and couldn't believe the difference in trying to get a good shoot. The 3.2f just couldn't get a good non flash shot without blur - the 2.8f lens made all the difference.

I used to on the must have AA battery band wagon - but now the Canon batteries are so good and cheap you can shoot 350+ (without flash) and carry an extra battery with you. The off brand battery only cost about $7 or so and they work fine - I have been using one for over a year with no problems - and hay if it fails - it was $7 -
Old 09-17-2010, 08:46 AM   #10
facetjoint OP
TONKA

Oddometer: 5,607
Thanks Thus Far

Thanks for all the info. so far. Concerning the care of the camera. I try hard to take good care of all my stuff. Knowing full well that a camera requires diciplined tlc.

Thanks Bill
facetjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:10 AM   #11
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,695
Before my Idaho trip I wanted a Point-n-shoot that would take HD 720p video and I wouldn't be out a ton of money if I lost it, dropped it or it stopped working.

Another HUGE feature is how you turn the thing on!! When on the bike you don't realize that until you start cursing at it..

I picked up a Panasonic DMC-FP1 : 12MP 720p HD SDHC. 12MP and shoots 720p video for $100 bucks I couldn't pass it up. One 16Gb card is all I used on my trip.. over 3,000 photos on a 16Gb card..

To turn it on, you slide the lens cover down, that's the piece with the word Lumix on it in the photo above. Turn it off.. slide the cover up. It has a quick mode button next to the shutter button, you hit it and it goes into Intelligent mode, hit it again and it goes in to Movie mode.. so handy when on the trail.

Now I'm not saying the photos are the best there is, I use Canon DSLRs for real photography work.. I have a T2i (HDSLR 1080p) & a XTi. There are much better "photo" cameras out there.. BUT..

For a camera to throw around and take great photos and video.. don't over look this little dude!!

Here's a photo I took with it:

And video:

This was uploaded to Flickr so it is compressed, original footage is not all jittery..

Not the best but for $100 bucks it is very good, even audio is acceptable..

ADV Gear | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:14 AM   #12
rifflebox
Yee Haw!

Oddometer: 210
Canon D-10

Having destroyed several Point-n-Shoots I picked the D-10. It is shock, water, and weather-proof, handles a wide variety of shooting conditions, can be switched between standard and wide-angle shots, and shoots up to 12MP. It uses HD-SD cards. With a 16GB card it holds thousands of photos. It also has image stabilization. It is large enough to handle with gloves on. In auto mode you can just fire away and get excellent results in a variety of conditions. Battery life is excellent.

Here is a link to Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerSho...4815529&sr=8-1
Old 09-18-2010, 10:03 AM   #13
Just_Jake
You lookin' at me...?

Oddometer: 389
I've always been a Canon snob. I still use a Canon SLR. But, I've been converted to Lumix for point and shoots. They use Leica lenses, and have other great features (large, clear screens, quick shudder response, HD video). I keep this in my pocket at all times:

Lumix DMC ZS3

It is larger than some, but still compact. The size of the camera allows for a 12x zoom (not digital) and a large screen to view pictures and confirm their quality.

Another HUGE feature for me was the use of a dial for settings. I hated having to use buttons to enter a menu and select a feature (like selecting video mode while on the move). IT TAKES GREAT Video:

http://gallery.me.com/jake0876/100309

The newest model has some slight improvements:
http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...00000000005702
Old 09-18-2010, 03:33 PM   #14
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,885
any Canon A series with IS

They are all excellent value-for-money.

IS (image stabilization) is a must-have.

Large dial on top to select "Auto" or "Video".

4x optical zoom typical.

Compact, but not tiny.

AA rechargeable batteries mean you can always find alternate power in a pinch with AA alkaline.

A series include manual modes and controls if later you want to get more technically engaged in the photography, or just select "Auto" and be done.

Best of all, forget studying the user manual, the interface is pretty intuitive, unlike many/most other digital cameras with multi-level menus to navigate thru.

Counting those bought for work, I am on my 3rd one. Only issues have related to the lens cover not fully opening on power-up, which must be a design issue, as it has happened on 2 of the 3. Fixed under warranty.

Canon even replaced the LCD on the current camera after I dropped it on a concrete floor, months after the warranty had expired. No charge. Mind you I was standing there in-person at the service depot, because it happens to be in my home-town, so I drove there so I wouldn't have to waste time and $ to ship it. I talked nice to the service person, acknowledged up front that I know the camera is out of warranty, and that this damage would not be covered even if the camera was still under warranty. Anyway, she waived the usual $99+tax charge and had the LCD replaced N/C.

It will take a lot to make me look at another brand. What I really want though is wide angle (28mm instead of ~35) with 5-6x zoom. If I could get this in a Canon point and shoot, for ~$150, this would be the perfect all-around device. Other want is a design for left-handed operation, since my right may have a throttle in it.
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:18 AM   #15
AltRoute
AltRoute

Don't overlook . .

Forgot to mention one up above - Pentex - they have been making shockproof cameras for a while - right now they have the W90 - but just go back one model and you could get a nice deal - have seen a couple under $200

PENTAX Optio W80
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0906/09062501pentaxw80.asp