User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2008, 11:00 AM   #1
Rottweiler OP
I'm a Believer

Oddometer: 362
Honda Reflex vs Helix

What's the gist of the diff between these two machines?

Is one believed "better" than the other?

Real men wear boots. God is good.

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western Civilization as it commits suicide." - Dr. Jerry Pournelle http://jerrypournelle.com
Rottweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:09 PM   #2
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,925
The Reflex has better (more) internal storage and a little bit higher seating position.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:54 PM   #3
DR650Keith
Motorcycle Nutjob

Oddometer: 74
The Reflex is a newer design, the Helix is really old, mid-eighties vintage.
The Helix is kind of funky looking, the Reflex is very sporty looking.
Running gear is similar but not exactly the same. Both are super reliable and durable. Somebody posted a Reflex odometer picture here with 80k miles! I own an '04 Reflex and can testify to its reliability. Just a great vehicle, gets 63 mpg commuting to work everyday 50 miles roundtrip.
I once saw a Helix on the interstate so they're also very roadworthy. Heard they are almost unkillable. Some guy ran a Reflex in the iron butt a few years ago and finished ahead of many larger bikes.
DR650Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:17 PM   #4
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,155
The Helix is quicker than a Reflex because the Reflex has a stepped variator that keeps its revs down until around 35-40 mph.

There is a mod that involves removing the low speed rollers from the variator that I think brings the Reflex back in line with the Helix acceleration. I have not done this mod, so I cant say for sure.

I also believe the Reflex has a higher top speed, don't know if its gearing, engine, aerodynamics or a combo of them all.
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:09 AM   #5
m chops
n00b

Oddometer: 5
The Helix had a more relaxed riding position - like a Barcalounger on wheels. I thought that the Helix had more storage than the Reflex, but I've never really compared mine to a Reflex.
m chops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:40 AM   #6
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,660
This is what popped into my mind when you mentioned "Honda Reflex". It was a good mid 80's dualsport.

Sorry for the thread hijack...

Old 07-22-2008, 09:50 PM   #7
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAbout
This is what popped into my mind when you mentioned "Honda Reflex". It was a good mid 80's dualsport.

Sorry for the thread hijack...

I've been looking for one of these!!!
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:30 PM   #8
ernest t bass
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
I sat on both yesterday at my buddy's scooter store.

My long legs don't fit on the Reflex as well as the Helix.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:56 AM   #9
Rottweiler OP
I'm a Believer

Oddometer: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest t bass
I sat on both yesterday at my buddy's scooter store.

My long legs don't fit on the Reflex as well as the Helix.
I'm trying to figure this all out...

I rode a CFMOTO Helix clone. I despise the "bathtub" seating position (rear end flat on the floor, feet straight out.) Feels really off balance. To each his own, but I really, really don't like it.

Is the Reflex much more of an upright seating position? Can your lower legs be straight down like they're supposed to be?

Real men wear boots. God is good.

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western Civilization as it commits suicide." - Dr. Jerry Pournelle http://jerrypournelle.com
Rottweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:03 AM   #10
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAbout
That thing looks like a lot of fun, how do do the google on that without finding a bunch of scooters? (no offence) I want one too! :)
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:36 AM   #11
Lammy1000
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
I sold my Helix to a friend, then bought a 2003 Reflex. Now we trade off during rides. Both are great bikes, even the dated looking Helix is a quick steering, fun mmachine. The problem for me with the Helix is that the more reclined seating position puts compressive forces on my spine, especially with the worn out shocks. With updated shocks and a drivers backrest I could ride for hours. Reflex feels more like a small motorcycle with better (but not great) suspension. Helix has more torque at midrange, while the Reflex has a slightly better top end. My Reflex does have the mod where you remove 3 of the six rollers-really needed to wake up the power band.
Lammy1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:47 PM   #12
gizmo309
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lammy1000
I sold my Helix to a friend, then bought a 2003 Reflex. Now we trade off during rides. Both are great bikes, even the dated looking Helix is a quick steering, fun mmachine. The problem for me with the Helix is that the more reclined seating position puts compressive forces on my spine, especially with the worn out shocks. With updated shocks and a drivers backrest I could ride for hours. Reflex feels more like a small motorcycle with better (but not great) suspension. Helix has more torque at midrange, while the Reflex has a slightly better top end. My Reflex does have the mod where you remove 3 of the six rollers-really needed to wake up the power band.
Is this the "K-Mod" ? I'd really like to know more about it. My Reflex is a bit sluggish and no where near as smooth as my Piaggio bv200. Does this mod rectify this? Any and all info on this mod is appreciated. I belong to the Yahoo Reflex site but can't stand the new design Yahoo is doing of their boards.

Bob
gizmo309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:36 PM   #13
The PacRat
I'm that other guy

Oddometer: 2,629
Removing the three rollers is the K-Mod and it works wonders. You do have to "make" a tool to do the job, but it is easy. Once you build the tool, the job itself is pretty easy too. If you want to enjoy your Reflex you MUST do this mod.

And yes... Yahoo groups used to suck - now that they have introduced the new design, they STILL SUCK.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:52 AM   #14
Lammy1000
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo309
Is this the "K-Mod" ? I'd really like to know more about it. My Reflex is a bit sluggish and no where near as smooth as my Piaggio bv200. Does this mod rectify this? Any and all info on this mod is appreciated. I belong to the Yahoo Reflex site but can't stand the new design Yahoo is doing of their boards.

Bob
Unfortuneately, the K mod really must be done. I did not make any special tool,,,I used an electric impact gun, being carefull to not overtighten the variator nut. The horribly formatted yahoo Reflex site has a files section to the left with great instructions. I will lend whatever advice you need also.
Lammy1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:14 AM   #15
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,740
There is a variation on the "K-Mod". While the original says to remove three of the six weighted rollers (three are one weight, the other three are heavier/lighter), the variation says to replace those three weighted rollers with weighted rollers of equal weight. That is, instead of ending up with three weighted rollers in the variator, you end up with 6 weighted rollers (all of equal weight). That might be the way the Big Ruckus is set up (not sure tho).

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote