User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2010, 10:13 PM   #1
mg8 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
KTM Cush Hub, Yes/No for KTM 530?

So I've talked to several folks of the last couple of years and have tried to sort through the BS. Here's what I've got:

1. Cush hub protects the transmission from torque during hard acceleration and hard downshifting on tarmac.
2. Some say not necessary for knobbies or supermoto applications some say it is essential for street riding.

What's the inmate advice? I ride 20 road/80 off-road and have Dunlop 908RR tires f/r. Opinions, upsides/downsides, supermoto or knobbies, etc.

Thanks for comments!
mg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:04 AM   #2
yamahaman
wannabe bike builder

Oddometer: 223
Thumb yes to cush

Cush drives dont really have any down sides except for maintenance on the rubbers and one extra bearing but the positives far out weigh the negatives . If you want to keep the bike long term definatly cush her up heavy sand riding also is very hard on gear box the constant loading and unloading causes heavy wear

If you turn them over quickly mabey not if you want to keep it long term cush cush cush

My crazy bike build
yamahaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:46 AM   #3
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,352
The cush wheel is a lot heavier, and it might not be necessary on the 530 as it has a damper built into the clutch unlike the previous generation bikes. On the RFS bikes I run a cush hub on both my motard and dual sport wheel sets. Besides the 525s often cracking the solid hubs in high traction conditions, it also helps with wear on the countershaft splines, which can be problematic.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:18 AM   #4
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 774
Have you considered a dampened counter shaft sprocket as a cheaper (slightly less effective? ) alternative? The splines on your counter shaft are the same as those on a 690e/r/smc which use a rubber dampened sprocket. The difference being that the 690 sprocket is slightly thicker which could be easily cut down to fit the exc. Sprockets are available in 15/16/17 tooth for around $30.

I have not personally tried this but I have put a non-dampened exc sprocket on my 690 using a small spacer behind it, so it would make sense that it could be done the other way by removing material from the inside of the sprocket.
The Letter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:52 AM   #5
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,957
Varying opinions. Some swear by it, and others dismiss it as not needed. There was a rental company out West that runs all EXCs and their bikes get flogged mercilessly, all with 10k+ miles and they don't run em.

Were I doing a lot of SM riding I might consider it, but linking trails together and the occasional jaunt to town like I do? (80/20) Nahh..
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:12 PM   #6
LILBIT
Ride you must.

Oddometer: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J
Have you considered a dampened counter shaft sprocket as a cheaper (slightly less effective? ) alternative? The splines on your counter shaft are the same as those on a 690e/r/smc which use a rubber dampened sprocket. The difference being that the 690 sprocket is slightly thicker which could be easily cut down to fit the exc. Sprockets are available in 15/16/17 tooth for around $30.

I have not personally tried this but I have put a non-dampened exc sprocket on my 690 using a small spacer behind it, so it would make sense that it could be done the other way by removing material from the inside of the sprocket.
I searched and couldn't find a picture of anything but standard. Do you have one.

Dave Hopkins claims to be doing one output shaft a week due to ruined slines from DS bikes.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:19 PM   #7
Tusker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J

A dampened sprocket isn't going to do anything for you. The sprockets just have a rubber piece on either side that touch the chain as it passes over the sprocket. It's basically for noise reduction, not for reducing driveline shock.

Ethiopia Trip 2010
Tusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:29 PM   #8
Didn'tDoit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
If you only ride dirt it's not necessary. I would recommended for street use.
Didn'tDoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:28 PM   #9
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusker
A dampened sprocket isn't going to do anything for you. The sprockets just have a rubber piece on either side that touch the chain as it passes over the sprocket. It's basically for noise reduction, not for reducing driveline shock.
I guess I never looked at it to see what it was all about after removal, but that is good to know... At least I don't feel so bad about running the non dampened sprocket now! Disregard my last suggestion
The Letter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:11 PM   #10
LILBIT
Ride you must.

There is a company making a damped rear sprocket. Forget the particulars. Non US currently.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:31 PM   #11
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by LILBIT
There is a company making a damped rear sprocket. Forget the particulars. Non US currently.
KUSH is the name,it`s a rear sprocket with dampeners,,you can do a search and check it out on the net...bottom line.......i know a guy that didn`t get 10 miles out of 2 of these sprockets........they shoot the dampeners out like bullets

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:37 PM   #12
LILBIT
Ride you must.

I was waiting for others to experiment before i'd consider it. I had my doubts looking at the photos.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:31 PM   #13
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife
KUSH is the name,it`s a rear sprocket with dampeners,,you can do a search and check it out on the net...bottom line.......i know a guy that didn`t get 10 miles out of 2 of these sprockets........they shoot the dampeners out like bullets
B
I had a set of Marvic wheels on my 750 Ninja and FZR1000, they both had the sprocket with the "dampener Doughnuts", they worked fine.
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:21 PM   #14
Flyer
Gleasons Drift

Oddometer: 194
Have a Cush Hub on my 2010 530.
2000+ miles on it now (street/dirt 30/70)
I'm still on the fence if it was a good investment or not.
When going on a pure dirt type ride I run the stock rim.
For aggressive street riding I do like having the cush hub wheel on.
But if I were riding mostly dirt and not too aggressive on the street, I'd spend my money on something else.

street/dirt
80/20 yes
50/50 maybe
20/80 no

Flyer screwed with this post 09-20-2010 at 01:31 PM
Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:50 PM   #15
mg8 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Thumb Thanks - Great info

The winter mods may include this. I have a lot of sand in my area and some day may slap a paddle on her so it may be a good investment. I don't plan to swap out the bike anytime soon and would like to do some longer distance riding, like the Continental divide. Sounds like it can hurt. The GS does most of distance stuff now but the capability of the 530 is in the back of my mind when hairy stuff pops up. Thanks folks!
mg8 is offline   Reply With Quote