User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2010, 07:05 PM   #1
halliwood OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
North Eastern US trip

when planing a week trip about how many hours do you figure on riding each day, I know the answer is going to be different depending on where you are riding, just looking for an average, and if it helps I'm doing this for a north eastern trip up to Northern Maine

halliwood screwed with this post 09-19-2010 at 07:31 PM
halliwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:16 PM   #2
invisible monster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
When my wife and I are 2-up traveling we do about 8hrs of saddle time max per day.

Alone I will ride from sun up to sun down if necessary.
invisible monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:20 PM   #3
halliwood OP
Gnarly Adventurer

awesome was hoping that would be the answer, the trip I have mapped out will put me a little over 9 hours a day for 7 straight days, so some days I would probably put on a little more, around 10 to 12, to give myself time to hang out and enjoy the ride
Old 09-19-2010, 07:21 PM   #4
wanderind
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
6-7 hours (riding time) or 8-11 hours on the road should be good for the day on an average. This time frame gets me refreshed for the next day within the night
wanderind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:32 PM   #5
halliwood OP
Gnarly Adventurer

wished I could change the name of this thread to just be North East US trip, but here is the rough draft of the route so far, if anyone has any suggestions of places that I have to hit please let me know

Old 09-20-2010, 05:35 AM   #6
PsychoSayWhat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
Looks like a really nice trip.

Is your CT/NY/NJ plan to use Rt 95? If you don't have plans to stop in Manhattan or something right off of 95 I would recommend swinging a little further away from the city (ie - use 84).

PsychoSayWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:45 AM   #7
halliwood OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I have a friend from college that lives in Brooklyn that I plan on stopping in and seeing. Might see if he'll meet me outside the city though lol
Old 09-20-2010, 11:20 AM   #8
OldSilverFox
Let's Go!

Oddometer: 393
NE Us trip

Halliwood
It appears from your initial route that u r planning a short excursion into Canada. I see a trip to Toronto. Toronto is a great city to visit (I woudn't live there but that's my choice) But when u cross to Canada at Buffalo take the time to ride the Niagara Parkway from Niagara Falls to Niagara on the Lake. It is a very scenic ride and lots of Vineyards and wineries to visit.
The QEW is a madhouse to ride on lots of traffic especially at rushhours. Be Careful.
I also see that ur routed along the 401 back towards London and the 402 to Sarnia before crossing into the US again.
Depnding on the time ur travelling (if before the Candian Thanksgiving Oct 11, Columbus day in the US) taking the back roads up to Collingwood and then to Tobermoray and the ferry to Manitoulin Is is a great ride. The Ferry quits running after Thanksgiving weekend.
After riding on the island go north to Espanola and head west on the north side of Lake huron to Sault St Marie. U can cross back into the US and the Uppper Penninsula of Michgan there.
The interstates are great for getting from one place to another but often miss the best to offer.
Ur realy close to the Kewaden Penninsula of Michigan which is another very scenic and interesting area.
Hope these ideas help and not confuse.
OldSilverFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:41 AM   #9
BarryD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
The Cape May-Lewes ferry and up the Jersey shore would be nice. Just head towards Philly before you get to Seaside Heights to avoid the "Jersey Shore" types.
BarryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:14 PM   #10
halliwood OP
Gnarly Adventurer

thanks for all the suggestions, I'll be trying to work it into the trip, this is still a long way off from when I'm going, just want to get everything planed out ahead of time.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:08 PM   #11
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,031
Best suggestion, get off the slab, and see the countryside.
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:32 PM   #12
halliwood OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFFOG
Best suggestion, get off the slab, and see the countryside.
for the most part I stay away from any interstates, but I'll have 7 days for the trip so some of the places I'll be slabbing it, but there'll be a lot of places that I'll be out on the back roads getting a feel for the area.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:53 PM   #13
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 23,953
Yeah stay off 95.....Once you cross over to NY get onto the Henry Hudson parkway which will turn into the sawmill parkway take both North. At the end of the saw mill get on rt 35 east take that into route 7 north and if you wanted hit 90 east into boston. Route 7 will take you through some of the most scenic parts of the Berkshire Mountain range. 95 will take you through traffic, traffic and more traffic between NYC and Boston. If im availanle I would be more than happy to ride with you from the entire length of route 7 that I described. Might even be a tag or 2 in the area and would/could/might actually be about the same travel time Boston depending on traffic conditions on 95
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:15 AM   #14
OldSilverFox
Let's Go!

Oddometer: 393
Ne Trip

You didn't say when ur planning to ride on this trip. Depending on timing I would likely be available for some riding with you as well. (if desired) I'm in Sarnia one of your original cities to pass thru. (Ontario / Michigan border)
OldSilverFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:09 AM   #15
halliwood OP
Gnarly Adventurer

still not sure on the dates yet, depends on a couple different factors, but soon as I get everything planned and have a date set I will post, would love to ride with some of the inmates on here.