User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2010, 03:51 PM   #1
White Tenere OP
Look a moose

Oddometer: 730
Install of Dr. Pulley 17g sliders- Scarabeo 500ie

Dr. Pulley 17g slider install, 2007 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie.

I'm ready to get started and yes my garage is carpeted!

Remove the four outer cover bolts.

I removed the forward most allen head bolt from the air box, this allows enough movement of the air box for the outer cover to come off.

Next I removed the seven permitter bolts and the four longer middle cover bolts.

Next was the clutch bolt, I had my helper sit on the scooter (off the center stand) and hold the rear brake. Using a two foot breaker bar the nut came loose with little effort. Then the cover comes right off.

I then bolted on my variator holding tool, and using the same two foot breaker bar I backed the variator nut off with little to no effort.
http://www.scooterwest.com/items/?_p...ding-Tool/2445

Half way off. Make sure you reach behind the variator and hold it together when sliding it off. This way rollers wont go everywhere. Same goes for re installing I just pinched it together with my fingers on the right side about the 4 O'clock postion and held it till it was seated all the way back.

Looks good.

Stock rollers, 2000 miles on them.

Dr. Pulley 17g

A quick wipe down and inspection and I dropped in the Dr. Pulley 17g sliders in.

It took less then 30 minutes to remove and replace, just work backwards to re assemble.

Make sure when you put the variator back using the holding tool the belt is free, it can bind up on the ramps. Just pinch the belt and make sure it has movement back and forth as you began to tighten the variator nut down. Use a good torque wrench and set the bolt.

Put the belt cover back on, use and alternating pattern when tighten the bolts back down. Put the scoot back on two wheels have your helper hold the rear brake and using a good torque wrench set the clutch bolt. You should not need or ever use a electric or air powered torque gun on these components...IMO

Put the plastic outer cover on, tighten the four bolts and don't forget the air box bolt and the clutch nut cover/plug.

Your all done, easy job anyone with basic tools and a little knowledge anyone can do this.

White Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:40 PM   #2
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
What's the verdict?

How did the new pulley weights perform? I've never ridden a twist & go, so I'm a bit intrigued by these things.

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:31 PM   #3
B02S4
Aye

Oddometer: 911
Maybe it's just the angle of the photo, but the 6 o'clock slider looks like it is in the wrong orientation.

I also prefer to polish the variator tracks when running DP sliders.

I have also found that as a general rule one can go slightly heavier ( 1 - 3%) with DP sliders as compared to OEM conventional rollers, for better overall performance. The DP cores can be step-drilled to custom tune the weight to exactly what you want (taking a heavier DP slider down to a custom lighter weight). An accurate gram scale helps, as does patience & a steady drill hand.

The above said, nice job documenting the install.

B02S4 screwed with this post 09-22-2010 at 06:39 PM
B02S4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:07 AM   #4
techguy
Scooter Trash

Oddometer: 845
It does look like one the sliders could be in the wrong way.

Are all the slider in with the buff plastic/nylon on the left side of the slider as you look down at the variator as it sits in the floor/workbench?

I installed them incorrectly (twice) and the variator made more noise (buzzy noise). Have you seen my comments in the other DR Pulley thread here? I have experienced many DR Pulley things in the past years and I have learned them through the school of hard knocks. I love how the make my scoot run.

techguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:28 AM   #5
White Tenere OP
Look a moose

Oddometer: 730
Yes in the pic they are in wrong, but they where installed correctly. I just dropped them in the variator to get a quick pic...

You guys have a sharp eyes.
White Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote