Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2011, 07:38 PM   #181
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI LT Owner View Post
Forgive my ignorance- Tube vs. Tubeless? What's better?

My LT has tubeless and so did my previous bike. What's so good about tires w/inner tubes?
some folks just like the looks of the spoked wheel better than a cast wheel.

I had a flat in the middle of nowhere, Wyoming last summer. I have cast wheels with tubeless tires. I was able to plug it, pump it back up with the small compressor I had with me, and keep going.

If I had tubes, I would have had to remove the wheel, break the bead, get the tube out and patch it. put it back in the tire, pump it up. Hope it holds air and will seat the bead again, and then put the wheel back on the bike. Oh, and good luck getting that bike on the centerstand (assuming it has one) if the rear tire is flat. or you could call for a tow, but I was literally many miles from anywhere. It could have taken hours to get a truck out there, and there was probably no cell phone service either.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:27 PM   #182
sugarcrook
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
According to some of the sales people at CalMoto, the spoked wheels are tubeless.
sugarcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:42 PM   #183
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,479
Aside from the hassles of changing a flat, oem tubed tires/steel wheels are usually heavier than their cast/forged cousins. This really matters on a "sport" oriented bike where added un-sprung weight at the wheels can make a world of difference in maneuverability and cornering. Well, at least to me it does.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:13 PM   #184
Offblnz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
Aside from the hassles of changing a flat, oem tubed tires/steel wheels are usually heavier than their cast/forged cousins. This really matters on a "sport" oriented bike where added un-sprung weight at the wheels can make a world of difference in maneuverability and cornering. Well, at least to me it does.
Maybe that's why BMW calls that model "Classic", cause it rides like an R90

Good points though, and joking aside, it does look damned good with spoked wheels!
Offblnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:31 AM   #185
DesmoTull
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Whatever it has, I want one!
DesmoTull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:31 PM   #186
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcrook View Post
According to some of the sales people at CalMoto, the spoked wheels are tubeless.
They would be wrong. BMW literature, look back in the thread, says they are not.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:12 PM   #187
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,989
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651931

after all these years why is bmw going back to a tubed tire on this bike???
seems very ass-backwards when the adv crowd is clamoring for tubeless spoked wheels.
they're looking to ditch the tube as are alot of off-road riders http://www.nuetech.com/ so why in the hell would bmw think the road crowd has ANY interest in dealing with a tube?

maybe they wanted a different/slicker/thinner at the lip looking wheel then the spokes on the edge GS one but why not source out the tubeless (center mounted spokes) wheels from Excel instead?

no way would i want a high performance street bike and tubes in there. the beauty of tubeless is the stop and go plugger. so now you have a flat on tour and you must remove the wheel & attempt to break the bead of a low profile, wide & stiff performance tire to replace the tube? that screams FAIL from a buyers persceptive as people bought bmw because the offered tubeless spoked wheels way before anyone else. i'm betting when a new buyer is looking at one on the floor and the saleman says it has a tube, the buyer is gonna say wtf, no way do i want that...please show me the r with the cast wheels.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 01-27-2011 at 10:20 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:15 PM   #188
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcrook View Post
here's the closeup pic again
that is a tube stem & traditional unsealed spoke wells on the rim.
and here is what could be a solution from japan on how to eliminate the tube:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=654586

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:14 AM   #189
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Goose View Post
Bigger question is if you'd enjoy the BMW for the extra $2000 depreciation. Would it be worth it?

Let's compare an R1200R and a Bandit 1250 (naked standards 2 vs 4 cylinder and the BMW costs almost twice), so used value on the BMW in 2 years(it'll have a year of factory warranty left, same as a brand new Suzuki) will be like a Toyota Tundra and the Suzuki will be valued like a Chevy S-10. You'll pay more and still get more.

Every new Bandit 1250 I ever sold (two of them) were $2000 or more off retail. We had to give them away, which is a shame because they're a great bike. Not a single R1200R (more than a few) got discounted at all. So most of this is market driven in the first place. Only so many come in every year. (suzuki didn't send 2010's because shops were choking on inventory).

You won't be able to add any value to the Suzuki since it won't have any warranty, bags, heated grips, on board computer. Factory options count for something - that's what I'm trying to emphasize.

Aftermarket stuff doesn't - it "eye in the beholder" type stuff.

And none of it's a big deal if you don't notice the difference between the two. I'd almost buy the Suzuki except in two years I know I'm gotta hate the suspension and brakes because of that crappy fork and rubber brake lines.

Then you have the saturation in the market. We'll find more cheap Suzuki's around and fewer cheap BMW's. And both will sell to whoever needs them.
Spoken like a true dealer. Do you happen to work for a dealership?

Even in Mexico, where used vehicles depreciate a lot less than they do in the US, the "bigger" BMWs have awful resale values. I could sell my 2005 SV1000S and buy a 2005 R1150r and save a few hundred dollars. Why? Pretty simple, the more expensive a vehicle is, the more expensive it's repairs will be. To make it worse, the higher end BMWs come with a lot of gizmos that will eventually break.

It's not a BMW specific thing, it's just how things work. For example, here a 2003 F650CS is more expensive than a 2004-2005 R1150r (those were the ones that came up when I was looking at them).

I'm an example of that. When I was looking into buying my next bike, which ended up being the SV1000S, I looked at several other bikes, like the Honda Hornet 919, YZF600s (Thundercats), etc. As I was searching for bikes within a price range (under $5000 USD) I stumbled upon several R1150r's. I just couldn't believe it, I had always liked them and got all excited about buying one of those...

But I couldn't believe it, first I thought that those bikes would have to be basketcases, but they weren't. Then I thought that they might have salvage titles, but they didn't. So I did my homework and went looking for common issues and got prices for the required parts, as labour is not that much of a problem here, and after getting the prices for clutches, splines, seals and final drives I said "Bye bye BMW".

Sure, the SV is not without it's own faults, but it's most expensive "common issue" replacing the clutch basket to get rid of the clutch "chudder" (vibration between 3K-4.5K rpm, which is only annoying but won't damage anything) is a lot cheaper than fixing a R1150r after it ate the clutch splines, or decided to leak a bit of oil into the clutch.

"Added value", right... Kind of reminds me of my Godfather and his son in law. He got his A8 new, for $90,000 USD, a few years later his son in law got a very similar A8 (only difference being the interior color, black instead of tan) for a measly $15,000.
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:45 AM   #190
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
Spoken like a true dealer. Do you happen to work for a dealership?

Even in Mexico, where used vehicles depreciate a lot less than they do in the US, the "bigger" BMWs have awful resale values. I could sell my 2005 SV1000S and buy a 2005 R1150r and save a few hundred dollars. Why? Pretty simple, the more expensive a vehicle is, the more expensive it's repairs will be. To make it worse, the higher end BMWs come with a lot of gizmos that will eventually break.

It's not a BMW specific thing, it's just how things work. For example, here a 2003 F650CS is more expensive than a 2004-2005 R1150r (those were the ones that came up when I was looking at them).

I'm an example of that. When I was looking into buying my next bike, which ended up being the SV1000S, I looked at several other bikes, like the Honda Hornet 919, YZF600s (Thundercats), etc. As I was searching for bikes within a price range (under $5000 USD) I stumbled upon several R1150r's. I just couldn't believe it, I had always liked them and got all excited about buying one of those...

But I couldn't believe it, first I thought that those bikes would have to be basketcases, but they weren't. Then I thought that they might have salvage titles, but they didn't. So I did my homework and went looking for common issues and got prices for the required parts, as labour is not that much of a problem here, and after getting the prices for clutches, splines, seals and final drives I said "Bye bye BMW".

Sure, the SV is not without it's own faults, but it's most expensive "common issue" replacing the clutch basket to get rid of the clutch "chudder" (vibration between 3K-4.5K rpm, which is only annoying but won't damage anything) is a lot cheaper than fixing a R1150r after it ate the clutch splines, or decided to leak a bit of oil into the clutch.

"Added value", right... Kind of reminds me of my Godfather and his son in law. He got his A8 new, for $90,000 USD, a few years later his son in law got a very similar A8 (only difference being the interior color, black instead of tan) for a measly $15,000.
Well maybe in Mexico BMWs have aweful resale because of a lack of qualified mechanics and parts availability to fix all the "gizmos" you talk about. Here in the good old US of A, such is not the case, and BMWs hold there value better than most bikes out there.
'13 Ducati Diavel AMG #163
'09 KTM 65XC (son's ride)

Gone: '10 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, '11 BMW R1200GS, '10 BMW S1000RR, '08 BMW HP2 Megamoto, '07 KTM 950SMR, '05 BMW R1200GS, '94 BMW R1100R
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:48 AM   #191
Mr.Goose
Velvet Steamroller

Oddometer: 1,230
so much hostility, just wanted to help, enjoy the pics at least

but I value the input
Mr.Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:28 PM   #192
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixinbones View Post
Here in the good old US of A, such is not the case, and BMWs hold there value better than most bikes out there.
Well, I'm not so sure about that, and specific to the bike in this thread's subject header. Ask me how I know.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:29 PM   #193
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,228
Quote:
Well, I'm not so sure about that, and specific to the bike in this thread's subject header. Ask me how I know.
Yup. Used R's are cheap. I just bought one.
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:30 PM   #194
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 969
Quote:
I have no problems with BMW, in fact I do like BMW motorcycles and I'd love to own a brand new R1200... But my wallet doesn't agree with me and the R1200 is not available in Mexico, the last R to be available here was the 1150. I'd love a R1150, in fact I like them better than the 1200s, but buying the bike, plus the repairs needed to make sure it would be reliable were out of my budget.

What I do have a problem with is the fanboys, and fanboys are not exclusive to BMW. Go to any brand specific forum and you'll find a bunch of fanboys and brand apologysts, dare to post something barely "negative" about their beloved brand/bike and you'll get flamed, maybe a usefull reply in between the hate if you're lucky. I've seen this on the brand specific forums for all the bikes I own, as I joined them thinking I might get usefull information, but I quickly found that I get better information from other sources. Brand specific forums seem to be more of "support groups" to cope with buyer remorse and help getting over the monthly payment than places to share information.

And I really don't get it. I think that fanboys and brand apologysts can damage a brand a lot more than being straight and objective about the brand. If someone asks about the R1150 he/she should be advised to check the bike for X, Y and Z, replace A, B and C and you'll have someone that knows what they got, and will be satisfied with the purchase. But the "next best thing since sliced bread" replies will leave the new owner with a bad taste of the brand once X, Y or Z goes bad and finds that A, B or C also needs work, specially if the bike left him/her stranded on a ride.

Had I come to this thread and seen this replies, I would have got a R1150 without hesitation, and the bike would probably be parked in the shop waiting for me to come up with the $$$ to replace the clutch and transmission input shaft, or something like that. Do I need to say that I wouldn't be happy at all with the BMW ownership experience? Happily I found the right information before buying the bike and I realized that even if the price of the bike was below my budget, the purchase price plus the potential repairs were out of my budget.
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:33 PM   #195
2wheelfish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:

I can vouch for that....but really enjoying the bike oalvarez.
2wheelfish is offline   Reply With Quote