ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Most practical based on: MPGs, reliability, storage, comfort, cost, build quality
Honda Reflex 7 5.07%
Honda Silverwing 31 22.46%
Suzuki Burgman 400 39 28.26%
Suzuki Burgman 650 32 23.19%
Yamaha Majesty 400 15 10.87%
Yamaha T-Max 16 11.59%
Kymco Xciting 250 1 0.72%
Kymco Xciting 500 5 3.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-20-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
The PacRat OP
I'm that other guy

Oddometer: 2,485
Maxi Scooters - Your choice for most practical

This is sort of a continuation of my Burg-curious thread. Looking for opinions on who offers a rock-solid maxi or super-maxi scooter, with great MPGs, freeway capable, ample storage, comfortable for tall riders.

Seems like under 50MPG would be non-practical. Over 60MPG would be fantastic. Old enough to get used for a good price.

Now I have started looking at the popular Asian made scooters:

Honda - Reflex and Silverwing
Yamaha - Majesty and T-Max
Suzuki - Burgman 400 and 650
Kymco - Xciting 250 and 500

Would like to hear about yours and why you like it. Please list your MPGs, how much you can carry, how much time repairing, etc. Haven't heard much about Kymco, but I do hear they make a damn good scooter.

Not interested in Italian scoots.

Multiple choice allowed in poll.

The PacRat screwed with this post 09-20-2010 at 08:29 PM
The PacRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:49 PM   #2
bkg123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
I can only speak for the Silverwing, and Tmax. For carrying capacity, comfort, and long legs the Swing is perfect. I've ridden all day at 85 mph, and 100 degree temps with no problems at all. Swings underseat is huge, Tmax....not so much.The Tmax is fast fun, and sporty. Handlebars are not adjustable, and the seat is low. My knees hit them in turns. It's a small bike, built for people with shorter legs then mine. (Im 6'3")
Sorry, no info on mpg, not an interest to me. never had any problems at all with either bike.
Sold the Tmax for no other reason then size. Cool......buy the T, heavy hauler....buy the Swing. Happy hunting.
Brian
bkg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:12 AM   #3
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 7,823
I had a Burgman 400 for a while.
  • 70 mpg on the backroads, 55 mpg on the highway
  • cruises at any legal speed without difficulty, even 2-up
  • ample space under the seat for groceries, etc
  • OEM Bridgstone tires lasted over 10k miles
I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a all-around good scoot.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:41 AM   #4
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,057
Had an '03 Silverwing and it was great. Had a Texas sidecar attached to it for while but the stress ended up causing a mount failure leaving a hole in the bike's frame. Got it welded up and enjoyed it as a solo for quite a while. The cvt tranny is a bit jerky at real low speeds but very comfortable at cruising speed. At 5'8" the bike fit me well....

If'n I was going to go back to the scooter/automatic route I'd seriously look at the Burgmann this time around. Never ridden one but sat on them and it seems it would be a bit more comfortable to tour on.

With new automatic motorcycles coming out I'd consider one of those too as I do like throwing a leg over rather than the step through.

Scott in Shoreview
'85 Voyager Hack
'79 Suzuki GS550
FirstPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:10 AM   #5
lucky6600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 530
Had a burgman 650 for 2 years with 7000 miles when I sold it. The CVT was the main reason for selling. Some of the CVT parts are made by plastic for the first few years and will need to be replaced after 15000 miles. Parts are cheap, but labor will kill you.
MPG is 50 above doesn't matter how you ride it. Storage space is more than my sport car. Comfor and wicky fast, did 125 miles/h almost every other day at night after work on an empty hwy.
So many times that I wish I never had sold it. I heard the later year model fixed the CVT problem and weak front suspension issues.
Will buy again when they have burgman 800 in few years.
lucky6600 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:57 PM   #6
Sokka
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Tmax

I have owned a 650 burger, a Tmax and a wing.
I live in a mountain town. The big burger was fine for cruising with lots of storage but I hated how heavy and unbalanced it was for moving around when parked. The wing was great, a really underrated bike. I have put a top case on my max and find it just as practical as the others. 6 or 7 bags of groceries(between under the seat and case) no problem. It is so well balanced though, a dream to drive around the town and so easy move around parking lots and the driveway and such......
Sokka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:16 PM   #7
pineconeMN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 823
My wife has a Kymco People S 250 and last year we had a loaner Xciting 500 for a few weeks. I'm afraid the only category where I could give the Xciting high marks would be price. It's way overweight, cornering clearance is poor and storage isn't the best. We like the larger 16" wheels of the People. You may also want to check out the Piaggio BV 250 or 500 or the Aprilia Scarabeo 500.

I have a friend with a Scarabeo and he drools over the Silverwing, FWIW.
pineconeMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:15 PM   #8
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,710
Burgman 650

I always found with my Vespa 250 that the maintenance was a bear. The CVT belt and weights are supposed to be changed every 9,000 miles. The Burgman 650 has lots of disadvantages related to it's sheer bulk, but the transmission is maintenance free for the life of the scooter according to Suzuki. The 400 needs a new belt every 15,000 miles (once a year for my kind of mileage).
For looks I like the T-Max, but trhats not a practical consideration.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:28 PM   #9
lucky6600
Studly Adventurer

BTW, Burgman 650 is really boring me after 2 year.... lacking soul.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:35 PM   #10
The PacRat OP
I'm that other guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky6600
BTW, Burgman 650 is really boring me after 2 year.... lacking soul.
That's why I would probably consider the Burg 400 or even the Reflex. Small enough to be more "fun". I was never scared riding the Reflex on the freeway, even though it topped out at just over 80 (indicated).

I think that the mammoth size of the Super-Maxi's kinda takes away from the fun factor...?

-------------

Also - looks like the S'Wing is popular - but 50+/- MPGs makes it no better than my PC800. But I do like that Honda reliability.

And not one vote for the Xciting yet - hmmmm. I thought they were supposed to be great bikes.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:31 AM   #11
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer: 917
Burgman 400. Excellent mpg, good mix of town and country capabilities, reliable.
approachbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:52 AM   #12
spiritus
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by advtek
I think that the mammoth size of the Super-Maxi's kinda takes away from the fun factor...?
I have a Silverwing and a SYS HD200.

For around town I find the smaller scoot to be much more fun to ride. If I'm going more than about 20 miles away I will usually take the Silverwing and then, on interstate or longer rides, the bigger scoot will be more fun for me. Of course either one alone could "do it all" for me but I'm fortunate to be able to have both.

I'm sure you have heard "It's more fun to go fast on a slow bike than to go slow on a fast bike." IMO, That really holds true for scoots.

(BTW, my first move to scoots was from a PC800 to a Silverwing. I found the mileage on the SWing worse than the PC800. At interstate speeds I don't get anywhere near 50mpg)
spiritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:45 PM   #13
lucky6600
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by advtek

-------------

Also - looks like the S'Wing is popular - but 50+/- MPGs makes it no better than my PC800. But I do like that Honda reliability.

And not one vote for the Xciting yet - hmmmm. I thought they were supposed to be great bikes.
super size scooters are in the between real motorcycle and scooter. It's hard to find a fine line. The problem that I had was .. while I was out with scooter guys.. they said.. it's not a scooter (too fast for the group). On the other hand, when I was out with bikes, they looked at me like .. what the heck you ride a scooter (even couldn't catch up with some standard small bikes).

PC800 was one of my dream bike. I had a chance to ride for 30 mins.. that's wicky smooth machine. Too bad that they D/C it.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:46 PM   #14
lucky6600
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritus
I'm sure you have heard "It's more fun to go fast on a slow bike than to go slow on a fast bike." IMO, That really holds true for scoots.
Can't agree more !!
Old 09-22-2010, 06:36 PM   #15
The PacRat OP
I'm that other guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky6600
...PC800 was one of my dream bike. I had a chance to ride for 30 mins.. that's wicky smooth machine...
It was the best damn scooter ever built that's NOT a scooter!