User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2014, 04:37 PM   #1
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,479
retro fitting venting onto a newer clay tile roof

I'm looking at a 5 year old home in a temperate climate. It is a rectangle with a hip roof. I was talking to the building inspector and he said he really would like to have seen exit venting. It has a perimeter soffit vent but nothing else.
I've looked online and have not seen much for decent ridge type vents for clay tile. I have added ridge vents to roofs with composite shingles and could feel the breeze, so I would like to do the same if possible. Any experts?

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 07:32 AM   #2
plumber mike
Highdive Deepened

Oddometer: 3,400
Have you been up in the attic? Clay tiles usually allow for adequate airflow due to the way they are installed. The attic should show you what's going on. Are gable vents for more air a possibility to avoid messing with the roof?
Old 12-27-2014, 09:27 AM   #3
plumber mike
Highdive Deepened

Hey! I was thinking a little more about this, and had a few Q's and an idea or two.

Q's

Age of the home is five years and how long has it existed with that roof? Original to the house I would assume. I'll assume NY and a freeze/thaw cycle. If this is a used home, improper roof venting should already be causing damage in the attic, or some somewhat noticeable signs of moisture buildup/condensation in the attic. So a trip up in the attic should tell the whole tale. No moisture. No problem. No solution needed.

Pics of the roof, soffit and gable ends if you were so inclined. Maybe an attic shot or two.

The level of quality advice here never ceases to amaze me, but you've gotta ask good questions. The inspectors normally like to "see" things because they are found in a book of things they would like to see......not necessarily because something is wrong and doesn't work. The roofer is the one who sees the effects of installing as per code or as per it actually working. A good roofer I should say.

Example- roofer installs cobra ridge vent as per code. A windy winter storm comes and snow blows into your attic causing moisture problems. The plumber comes over and tells you that there is too much airflow in the attic causing moisture to get in defeating the purpose of their airflow requirements in the code.

The inspectors opinion is only good for a bargaining chip in the purchase process. It is not an actual assessment of the home. Sorry to be so honest.

Disclaimer. Not a roofing expert.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:25 AM   #4
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

All good questions that I currently have no answer to. The home is on the other side of the country in a very mild climate along the coast. We are flying out to see it and a few others in a little over three weeks. The realtor is next to useless with sending pictures that I requested. He took a few inside shots, then went on a 2 week vacation. I honestly don't think he's trying to hide anything, he just seemed overly laid back. His lack of help is why I called the building department and talked to the inspector that approved things as it was being built. He's the one who mentioned that he wanted to see an escape for the air the soffits let in. I'll post pictures after I get back from there.

Old 12-27-2014, 12:47 PM   #5
plumber mike
Highdive Deepened

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeouttaglass View Post
All good questions that I currently have no answer to. The home is on the other side of the country in a very mild climate along the coast. We are flying out to see it and a few others in a little over three weeks. The realtor is next to useless with sending pictures that I requested. He took a few inside shots, then went on a 2 week vacation. I honestly don't think he's trying to hide anything, he just seemed overly laid back. His lack of help is why I called the building department and talked to the inspector that approved things as it was being built. He's the one who mentioned that he wanted to see an escape for the air the soffits let in. I'll post pictures after I get back from there.
I think I'd read about your story. Did you post up in regionals to see if anyone could go snap a few pics? The inspector should have been up there already with pics if it was a home inspector. A code violation inspector might not.

Good luck on the move. I left NY for the west when I turned 18 almost to the day. People have been heading this way for a better life since this country started. I hope the same proves true for you!
Old 12-27-2014, 01:31 PM   #6
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

Thank you. I wanted to move there 18 years ago but our kid's grandparents put up a huge fuss. Kids grown, 3 of 4 grandparents gone. Life way up on the top of the snowbelt is for younger people. Time to move to my favorite place on earth. As for people moving west since the beginning of the country, you sure have that right. I've often wondered what the population of the east would be like if the pilgrims had landed on the west side. I'd guess it would be very unpopulated. "Hey Maw, I'm heading for cold, overcast and snow! No gold to be found either." "Go east young Man." sounds like a curse.
Local inmates who volunteered are still a good haul from the house. Plane tickets bought. I'm looking forward to spending time in northern CA again anyway. I also want to get a better feel for the community. If the house isn't what I want, the trip will still be worthwhile.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: