Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny Things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2015, 11:37 PM   #1
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,721
Wirehaired fox terrier (any owners here?)

I am thinking about getting a dog again. We had an Airedale years ago, but now we want something a little smaller.

We have a large fenced section. However, the dog would be alone during working hours for three days of the week. I am able to exercise the dog in the morning and the evening for at least 30 minutes each time.

What do you guys think, is this viable?
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:54 AM   #2
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,621
We had one when we were kids. Craziest fookin dog there ever was. Terrified almost everyone in the neighborhood. It made a devil dog look like a lap dog. Probably had a brain tumor.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:57 AM   #3
Gillus
High Desert Rat

Oddometer: 898
Terrier is the politically correct word for Terrorist

My neighbor has a Jack Russel and I told her that her dog was a terrorist..........
Old 01-29-2015, 08:51 AM   #4
kruzuki
Gear in the Machine

Oddometer: 829
I has a smooth-coated fox terrier.

Wonderful around people but she would attack any dog that came near her to the point where I would only walk her when I knew there were no other neighbours out with their dogs. We adopted her as an adult so who knows what kind of trauma it suffered.

My infant son (at the time) would thoroughly abuse the dog and she just took it in stride.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:29 PM   #5
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

Thanks for the responses. I know they are little shits, like I said we had an Airdedale. As for the shedding, regular brushing and pulling out the old fur, should minimise that.

What I am really trying to find out, if a foxy can be left at home for up to eight hours, three days a week, without going nuts. I am thinking of setting up an outside kennel for these periods. The rest of the time he can be inside and of course sleep inside. I just don't think they can be trusted alone inside.

On the other hand, I don't want him howling all day and upsetting the neighbours.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:14 PM   #6
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,259
Requires constant attention. Be sure you/the family are up for that.
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:32 PM   #7
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,621
We have a dog door to a fenced area for our (non fox terrier) dogs. In our case it is the best of both worlds. I'm sure it can be the worst of both for some.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:46 PM   #8
crampfan
not really a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,729
We had one when I was a kid. Smart as a whip, but man that dog had energy. It was like he was on a sugar coated caffeine high.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:39 PM   #9
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,714
My Jack Russell is fine left home alone all day, IF he is with my other dog. He loses his shit and destroys the house if i take my beagle somewhere and leave him at home. Even if I'm out in the garage and my beagle follows me, the Jack Russell flips out when he realizes his buddy is gone. He's not really my dog, hes my dog's dog.

Since he learned how to be a dog from the from one of the laziest hound dogs in the world, he really doesn't act like a terrier at all. Sleeps 22 hours a day, isn't bouncing off the walls for the other 2. Eat, shit, sleep, repeat.
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:27 PM   #10
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 9,390
A Fox Terrier is the smallest dog I have ever seen dig a hole big enough to bury a motorcycle in...and that was in 15 minutes. I'm pretty sure they could dig under a fence quite easily. On the plus side, they are faster than cats, so you'll never find cat shit in the yard.

Have you considered a wire haired terrier? They are smaller than the Airedale, but of similar temperament.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:14 PM   #11
Apxgrndr
In the snow

Oddometer: 1,011
My Dad had one. Fucking crazy is an understatement!
Old 01-29-2015, 06:34 PM   #12
PaddedHat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
LMAO reading this shit. We have a six month old Cairn Terrier. We apparently mistakenly thought we were buying a domesticated animal. We have had a Westie for eight years now, and that fuzzy little bugger has always been as classy as the queen of England compared to this feral, high speed demolition machine. In the last week it chewed the rubber pad off of the E-brake in the motorhome, and chewed a hole through a memory foam mattress topper that we had purchased the day before. When I enter a room and the little bastard is leaving like a Japanese bullet train, I know that it's not going to end well. This dog has two speeds, fast enough to be a blur, and full stop. We are currently at a seasonal campground, and all we ever hear is how cute the little bastard is, and we are constantly laughing at the stupid stuff she does, but wow, it's got to be easier to raise bear cubs, FFS.
PaddedHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:04 PM   #13
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

While it was quite funny reading all this, it's not the encouragement I was hoping for. I like terriers, but it's a 15 year commitment. Maybe I need to stick with Airedales.

Mind you, they are very active as well. Ours grew up when he was 10 and died four years later. They are really tough and don't seem to react to injuries, so you have to keep an eye on them.

I guess I am open to suggestions.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:37 PM   #14
Bill-66
Hencho in Kansas

Oddometer: 7,615
We had them when I was a kid..every fucking one was suicidal...two jumped fence..hit on highway within a hundred yards of each other...

Crazy mother fuckers...
Old 01-29-2015, 08:59 PM   #15
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,785
I started a thread in here maybe a year or ago heavily complaining about my neighbors Westie Terrier that I often watch, walk, and hang out with. Man, was he annoying, but in the time since, he's mellowed a lot. They do need a goodly amount of attention and companionship. He also has a supremely mellow mutt older dog (10 yo) who's been some kind of role model. From going from something I did not like at all he's pretty great. You can leave him in the house, with his buddy, pretty much all day and he's fine. I am not sure all terriers are like Westies, maybe some are worse, but he turned out, now at three, to be pretty good, and for a terrier, excellent. He does have a lot of breed specific health problems though, costing my neighbors, including purchase, around 10k. That shit there isn't for me. Good luck.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: