ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Five Fingered Shoes. What do you think?
Five fingered shoes are the greatest advancement in foot wear, ladies dig the guys that wear them. 70 18.18%
Five fingered shoes are the greatest advancement in foot wear...but you'll never get laid. 88 22.86%
Five fingered shoes are a scam, fad...But the cool kids wear them... 13 3.38%
Five fingered shoes are a scam fad and if you wear them in public you'll never get laid, ever. 193 50.13%
Five fingered shoes... I have the hammer toe version... 21 5.45%
Voters: 385. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 10-13-2010, 08:56 PM   #151
milq
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
I have to ask, how does articulating toes make running/walking/climbing better than say a similar shoe in which all your toes are inside? Also, how come the extra fabric between your toes doesn't cause more issues than it helps?

Seriously, honest questions, not trolling.

Jim
It's my understanding that "normal" shoes tend to squeeze the toes together a bit and this creates a narrower platform for stability.

I was reading about these some time ago (still haven't bit the bullet and bought them) and the article (maybe an ad by Vibram, can't recall) had a photo of a baby's foot. On the baby's foot the big toe is in a direct line with the corresponding bone that runs through the foot; a photo of a "typical" adult foot shoes the same toe angling toward the next toe, rather than straight. I know that my big toes certainly angle that way, but when I stretch my feet a bit they straighten out to (perhaps) the way nature intended?

I have spent a lot of dough on supportive insoles and such over the years and this explanation and a lot of the other things I have read seem to make sense to my non-medically trained mind.
milq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:30 PM   #152
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzez
I've been considering buying a pair.
I had been drinking when I was giving you a hard time about this thread, and I don't remember everything I said, but I meant every word.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:03 AM   #153
Buzzez OP
Wind Powered

Oddometer: 10,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude
I had been drinking when I was giving you a hard time about this thread, and I don't remember everything I said, but I meant every word.

You said something to the effect,"There's no way, I'm even going to post in your thread and you'll never see me wearing those shoes"...BTW, I have a 20% coupon from REI. You're welcome to it...

~&>)
(-)@(+)______

Buzzez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:21 AM   #154
Buzzez OP
Wind Powered

Oddometer: 10,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by milq
It's my understanding that "normal" shoes tend to squeeze the toes together a bit and this creates a narrower platform for stability.

I was reading about these some time ago (still haven't bit the bullet and bought them) and the article (maybe an ad by Vibram, can't recall) had a photo of a baby's foot. On the baby's foot the big toe is in a direct line with the corresponding bone that runs through the foot; a photo of a "typical" adult foot shoes the same toe angling toward the next toe, rather than straight. I know that my big toes certainly angle that way, but when I stretch my feet a bit they straighten out to (perhaps) the way nature intended?

I have spent a lot of dough on supportive insoles and such over the years and this explanation and a lot of the other things I have read seem to make sense to my non-medically trained mind.
I'm seriously thinking of getting the Five Fingered Shoes, in hopes that they will help straighten my toes out...I've seen the toes on some older folks look like a real mess..I really don't want mine to end up that way...I'm thinking that if the shoes help keep my feet splayed the way they should be and help strengthen and straighten them, they can't be all bad...

~&>)
(-)@(+)______

Buzzez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:23 AM   #155
Dave KLR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
good lord, i think i would do some pretty drastic things to keep my feet from looking like that!
Dave KLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:36 AM   #156
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave KLR
good lord, i think i would do some pretty drastic things to keep my feet from looking like that!
You would have to do some pretty drastic things to MAKE them look like that!

OK, so I am getting the spreaded toes thing, and it makes sense. So how come you couldn't just wear shoes that allowed a more natural spread, but gave you more protection? I'm thinking stubbed toes, and sharp rocks here. The guy I saw wearing them last weekend stubbed his toes 2-3 times in the few minutes we were hiking next to each other, and complained about sharp rocks through the sole.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:29 AM   #157
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
You would have to do some pretty drastic things to MAKE them look like that!

OK, so I am getting the spreaded toes thing, and it makes sense. So how come you couldn't just wear shoes that allowed a more natural spread, but gave you more protection? I'm thinking stubbed toes, and sharp rocks here. The guy I saw wearing them last weekend stubbed his toes 2-3 times in the few minutes we were hiking next to each other, and complained about sharp rocks through the sole.

Jim
You just have to get used to having your feet exposed. Once you figure it out foot placement really starts to come naturally. I hike in mine all the time and don't have any issues. Rocks, roots, hills, dirt, sand, etc, etc . . .
Krabill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:58 AM   #158
Doc.Snyder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
Of course I would not use them in high alpine environments or mountaineering in general ... but for everything else, I use my KSO Treks. But you have to get used to them first and build some muscle in your feet/ankles.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:04 PM   #159
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,376
I went hiking in Arches National Park in Tevas and my feet didn't complain a bit. I imagine that the VFFs would work even better in that environment. I sure wouldn't want to encounter a baby saguaro in them, though. Had that happen with a regular soft hiking boot in Organ Pipe once and had to pull a crapload of spines out of the top of my foot by hand.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:21 PM   #160
Norhasken
Tryin' to find my way

Oddometer: 18,228
I saw a dude in a pair of those at the grocery store. I thought he was a Hobbit for a moment.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:48 PM   #161
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,992
Quote:
You get stuff like that in individuals with neurological disorders such as Charcot-Marie-Tooth, as well as severe Rheumatoid Arthritis. But a very tight shoe can result in a good bunion, and a tight toe box can result in that displaced big toe, and such.

Figure, properly fit shoes, many people think look big. That old figure of 3/8" of free space in front of the toes, and having enough width is important, but people feel sort of goofy when their shoes look big, particularly the ladies who all seem to think they wear about a size 6.5 womens shoe. Which, they just do not.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:58 PM   #162
Dave KLR
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G
You get stuff like that in individuals with neurological disorders such as Charcot-Marie-Tooth, as well as severe Rheumatoid Arthritis. But a very tight shoe can result in a good bunion, and a tight toe box can result in that displaced big toe, and such.

Figure, properly fit shoes, many people think look big. That old figure of 3/8" of free space in front of the toes, and having enough width is important, but people feel sort of goofy when their shoes look big, particularly the ladies who all seem to think they wear about a size 6.5 womens shoe. Which, they just do not.
i see. I mean if my feet look like the above pic who is gonna want to put them in their mouth? why is life so hard?
Old 10-14-2010, 06:00 PM   #163
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,992
Quote:
i see. I mean if my feet look like the above pic who is gonna want to put them in their mouth? why is life so hard?
Probably because you define success as an oral toe event?
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:03 PM   #164
Dave KLR
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Probably because you define success as an oral toe event?
everyone else does not?
Old 10-14-2010, 10:47 PM   #165
milq
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
That old figure of 3/8" of free space in front of the toes, and having enough width is important, but people feel sort of goofy when their shoes look big, particularly the ladies who all seem to think they wear about a size 6.5 womens shoe. Which, they just do not.
I swear those pics are my grandmother's feet (at least the way the big toes are pointed). She is a broad shouldered gal at 93, I can't imagine how stout she must've been at 30 and her shoes are CLEARLY at least one size smaller than she needs. Bless her heart.
milq is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: