ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Five Fingered Shoes. What do you think?
Five fingered shoes are the greatest advancement in foot wear, ladies dig the guys that wear them. 70 18.18%
Five fingered shoes are the greatest advancement in foot wear...but you'll never get laid. 88 22.86%
Five fingered shoes are a scam, fad...But the cool kids wear them... 13 3.38%
Five fingered shoes are a scam fad and if you wear them in public you'll never get laid, ever. 193 50.13%
Five fingered shoes... I have the hammer toe version... 21 5.45%
Voters: 385. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 05-08-2014, 01:20 PM   #376
Buzzez OP
Wind Powered

Oddometer: 10,469
Well, I guess that settles that...

Vibram has settled a class-action lawsuit that accused the company of making false and unsubstantiated claims about the health benefits of its Vibram FiveFingers footwear, according to a report Tuesday from Runners' World. The company will put $3.75 million into an escrow account to pay out settlements to class members and will remove all claims that its products either strengthen muscles or reduce injuries—unless it comes up with proof.

(Rest of story)

~&>)
(-)@(+)______

Buzzez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:36 PM   #377
Laconic
Gaulded

Oddometer: 15,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzez View Post
After wearing them a couple days, I realized that having a bunion doesn't work with them...My toes kept slipping out of the designated openings ...so I sold them to my brother...He has normal feet and loves them...I may try them again if I ever get my feet fixed but till then, I'm stuck wearing conventional shoes...
My wife got her bunions fixed around 25 years ago. Took her a good 15 years to stop mentioning how nice it was on a fairly regular basis.
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:03 PM   #378
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzez View Post
Well, I guess that settles that...

Vibram has settled a class-action lawsuit that accused the company of making false and unsubstantiated claims about the health benefits of its Vibram FiveFingers footwear, according to a report Tuesday from Runners' World. The company will put $3.75 million into an escrow account to pay out settlements to class members and will remove all claims that its products either strengthen muscles or reduce injuries—unless it comes up with proof.

(Rest of story)
From a consumers' protection standpoint I get the point of the lawsuit and the settlement; however, from a common sense standpoint this makes no sense as to why there was a lawsuit in the first place. Modern shoes that we all wear to workout/play sports in have only been around a good 40-50 years. Prior to that, for the most part, we wore shoes that had more in common with flip-flops than the modern athletic shoe. Flip flops are almost being barefoot other than protecting you from whatever might be on the ground that could cause harm. (Yes, I know the high-fashion types of the Renaissance had shoes with high-heels and whatnot, but the "commoners" did not wear this type of shoe.)

Anyway. I still have a couple of pairs of Five-fingers. I wear them predominately while running or hiking. Just feels better to me.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:05 PM   #379
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,758
They are great as kayaking or shower shoes.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:00 PM   #380
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,396
I know my wife has a set of these in a closet somewhere, as I only seen her wear them a handful of times I can only assume they went as good as she was telling me they were.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:30 AM   #381
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,289
I've got two pair. I don't care what anybody else says, or who sues who, they are still the most comfortable footwear I've ever put on.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:41 AM   #382
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
From a consumers' protection standpoint I get the point of the lawsuit and the settlement; however, from a common sense standpoint this makes no sense as to why there was a lawsuit in the first place. Modern shoes that we all wear to workout/play sports in have only been around a good 40-50 years. Prior to that, for the most part, we wore shoes that had more in common with flip-flops than the modern athletic shoe. Flip flops are almost being barefoot other than protecting you from whatever might be on the ground that could cause harm. (Yes, I know the high-fashion types of the Renaissance had shoes with high-heels and whatnot, but the "commoners" did not wear this type of shoe.)

Anyway. I still have a couple of pairs of Five-fingers. I wear them predominately while running or hiking. Just feels better to me.
The problem they have is that from a consumer perspective (a typical idiot), whether it's actually going to be more healthful to run in an unstructured shoe is not black or white, and largely dependent on the typical idiot's decisions. How's that going to turn out? You're going to have idiots trying to run ultra-marathons in these things, and in 20 years time they'll be hobbling around with zero soft tissue under their calcaneus wondering whether it was so worth it to strengthen their digital flexors.

Use it in moderation and within healthful boundaries, and I'm sure vibram's got a sound argument for its benefits. But be a dumb-ass about it and you'll regret it...and so will vibram. The messaging around athletics always runs counter to that though. It's not...be healthy...do things in moderation. It's Be healthy...go do something your body is barely able to achieve....Yes, run a god damn marathon. Oh...you can run a marathon? Great...run two. Muscles...might react well to stress. They grow. Bones...to some degree do as well. Ligaments...Cartilage, Mensisci...these things don't react in the same manner...they wear down. They disappear. A shoe like vibrams will make that a larger dimension of what you subject your body to.

DriveShaft screwed with this post 05-09-2014 at 08:44 AM
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:35 AM   #383
BigIron
Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill View Post
I've got two pair. I don't care what anybody else says, or who sues who, they are still the most comfortable footwear I've ever put on.
+1

I run on pavement with mine. For me, just better than conventional shoes.
BigIron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:08 AM   #384
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill View Post
Nike free v3s are up there in comfort... Some days more comfortable...
PoundSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:50 AM   #385
Organic Mechanic
Awesome sauce taster

Oddometer: 40
still love mine, 5th or so pair I have had. I used to get bad foot pain, but since wearing these foot condoms, gone...been years now.
Organic Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:46 PM   #386
Junglerot
Hodor!

Oddometer: 3,401
I wear mine to the gym every single week to lift weights. They're fantastic for squatting and deadlifting.
I have no doubt that the lawsuit is a result of geniuses buying a new pair and hitting the streets for their normal run in them. By all accounts you need to start by wearing them for normal activity, just walking around and such, and then moving up to light jogging on soft surfaces such as grass for short periods, and slowly progressing from there.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:07 PM   #387
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,758
I guess too, I don't buy things to make "me" better. I buy things that I can use and sometimes I get a benefit (sometimes I buy beer and just get drunk).

I think people forget that they have to "do" something to make a product work.

Buying P90X and letting the DVD sit on the player isn't doing anything for you.

Buying Vibrams doesn't make your feet stronger, but if you work up to it (like any exercise) you will feel a difference in your feet. Whether your feet are overall stronger, I don't know, but it does feel different and I like to mix it up. I think it is like cross training for your feet.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: