ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Five Fingered Shoes. What do you think?
Five fingered shoes are the greatest advancement in foot wear, ladies dig the guys that wear them. 70 18.18%
Five fingered shoes are the greatest advancement in foot wear...but you'll never get laid. 88 22.86%
Five fingered shoes are a scam, fad...But the cool kids wear them... 13 3.38%
Five fingered shoes are a scam fad and if you wear them in public you'll never get laid, ever. 193 50.13%
Five fingered shoes... I have the hammer toe version... 21 5.45%
Voters: 385. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.83 average. Display Modes
Old 09-21-2010, 08:57 PM   #46
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,001
Ah, ask and thou shalt receive.

http://birthdayshoes.com/fivefingers...ur-fingers-mod

ironically my first name is also Philip one L.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:14 PM   #47
straightrod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,297
Isn't it enough that we modify our bikes? Now I get to think about my toes and how they would fare with material between my toes. Wouldn't I get instant blisters? I can't walk ten feet in flip flops without rubbing the skin off between my toes.
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:18 PM   #48
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightrod
Isn't it enough that we modify our bikes? Now I get to think about my toes and how they would fare with material between my toes. Wouldn't I get instant blisters? I can't walk ten feet in flip flops without rubbing the skin off between my toes.
You're dealing w/ several issues, for one, a flip flop doesn't stay very still on your foot, when you walk you are actually more clamping the part between your toes to hold them on, and the flip flop straps move around a lot.

If you had something between your toes, and your toes were able to spread out naturally, then you wouldn't have the force between them, whereas if you crammed something like your socks in that gap, and shoved them in a tight pair of shoes, you might need all that additional space between your toes in the toe box.

Now in the case of these things, assuming they fit correctly, your toes should have room to spread out and the inner space should not be moving around between them, nothing about these should shift in relationship to your foot.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:33 PM   #49
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,886
They're 5 Fingers cause evidently Italian toes and fingers are the same word. Vibram = Italian so there ya go.

Least that's how it was 'splained to me.

M
Old 09-22-2010, 05:43 AM   #50
CaveDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,509
They seem like they'd make great river wading shoes.
CaveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:18 AM   #51
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,144
I just got a new Campmor catalog. The damn things are $90.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:30 AM   #52
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
They're 5 Fingers cause evidently Italian toes and fingers are the same word. Vibram = Italian so there ya go.

Least that's how it was 'splained to me.

M
That's even more dumb.

If the word is the same for fingers and toes, then for the English translation, why didn't they use the word "toes"?

A day in the Vibram-USA Marketing Department:

Head of Vibram-USA Marketing: "Five 'Fingers'? What? They're toes."

Vibram-USA Art Director: "Well, there was a note in the prototype box from "Dito Calzino", but it was written in Eye-talian. I tried to call his sexy-tary, but she kept trying to transfer me to some guy named, 'Figlio di Puttana', I think his nickname is 'Cat-zo' or something, but every time she transferred me, the line went dead."

"Well, keep trying. But 'fingers'? They're clearly toes."

"I dunno, man. That sexy-tary, though. She's one spicy-a meata-ball."

"A real Momma-Mia, huh?"

"Dood. You should have heard her. I think she likes me. She called me her 'choo-cha-cat-zee'."

"You do pull some pussy with those film school glasses, that hipster beard, and that whole 'urban lumberjack' look you sport."

"Dood. If you only knew. It's like they want another girlfriend, but their instinct draws them to what looks like real man at the same time. It's a weird dichotomy. All it really takes is a wrinkled flannel shirt and you act like you're upset about something. It's better than tequila."

"Sweet. Don't we know some of the marketing guys at Urban Outfitters? Maybe I could get a discount."

"Totally. I'll call Jeph."

"I thought his name was 'Jeff'?"

"It is."

"But what's that little thing you did at the end?"

"Oh, he got rid of the "f's" and added a "PH".

"Jef-ph"?

"No. 'Jeff', but with a 'P-H'."

"You guys will do anything to make yourselves seem more interesting than you really are, won't you?"

"Well, we gotta do something. We didn't spend six years in art school to learn to paint, yanno. Art school chicks are easy."

"Then why try so hard?"

"..."

"Whatever. What about these goofy-ass toe shoes? Would that make you more interesting?"

"Dood. These have 'I'm totally counter-culture' written all over them. I don't care what 'the man' thinks. I'm an individual. I'm 'interesting'."

"But all you guys look the exactly same with the glasses, beards, flannel shirts, and man purses. Besides, we are 'the man'."

"It's a Chrome Courier bag."

"If there's a Chap-Stick in there, it's a man purse, Nancy".

"..."

"Yeah. Well. These shoes."

"Don't worry. We'll sell a fuckload of these things."

"Yeah, but fingers"?

"I dunno, man. They're Eye-talian."

"Fucking A. I need some Aleve."

"Here. I've got some in my courier bag."

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:43 AM   #53
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLuke
Those look like hobbit feet.

Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:29 AM   #54
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,561
I've not tried 'em, but I do have a couple of thoughts:

For real distance runners these might help with the toe blister issues since each toe is separate.

There does not LOOK like much padding which goes against what I used to think I knew.

They look...well...amusing in a way, sort of like taking wrinkle finish paint and painting your feet.

I don't think they made these for ME, but for certain runners they probably are great.

And yea, they look wierd.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:06 AM   #55
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely
I've not tried 'em, but I do have a couple of thoughts:

For real distance runners these might help with the toe blister issues since each toe is separate.

There does not LOOK like much padding which goes against what I used to think I knew.

They look...well...amusing in a way, sort of like taking wrinkle finish paint and painting your feet.

I don't think they made these for ME, but for certain runners they probably are great.

And yea, they look wierd.
One of my hashing friends has a pair. Sez he actually runs barefoot a few days/week. No thanks.

There was this book out... Where this shit all started. Bout some Indian tribe in MEX that runs 200mi days (or some shit) on sandals made outta old tires. Now everyeffingbody wants to try it. I'm sure that if said Indian tribe could afford shoes, they'd be wearin em! Oh well. Americans will buy anything!

M
Old 09-22-2010, 10:25 AM   #56
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,299
Quote:
One of my hashing friends has a pair. Sez he actually runs barefoot a few days/week. No thanks.

There was this book out... Where this shit all started. Bout some Indian tribe in MEX that runs 200mi days (or some shit) on sandals made outta old tires. Now everyeffingbody wants to try it. I'm sure that if said Indian tribe could afford shoes, they'd be wearin em! Oh well. Americans will buy anything!

M
Somebody mentioned that book to me just the other day...but not by name. Also mentioned how it kicked off the whole barefoot running thing. Do you know the title?
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:39 AM   #57
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely
there isn't any padding.

Quote:

and the african marathon runners, most notably bikila. and native americans in leather moccasins. greeks in leather sandals. and kids. and just about everyone who ran without fancy shoes before the mid 20th century.

it's not like we're evolved to only run in fancy padded shoes that control the motion of your foot.
PoundSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:29 PM   #58
Doc.Snyder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
With all that big air cushion "running" shoes you get used to a completely unnatural way of walking / running.

Your foot is MADE to absorb shocks naturally. middle / front foot on the ground first.

Since we've been wearing the wrong shoes since we were kids, we got used to the "heel first" style of walking / running and our feet's muscles got weaker and weaker.

Why do you think we have so many people with bad feet / kee problems?

Walking barefoot is great, and Vibram's Fivefingers just puts some protection around your feet.
In the beginning your feet will hurt. After a while your feet's muscles will get stronger and support your ankles/everything else as they are supposed to.

I wear them because it is good for me. Not because I'm a hippie or something.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:35 PM   #59
tropo
Unrestrained Slacker

Oddometer: 36
My wife and I both have a pair. She has the Classics and I have the KSO. She absolutely loves to wear them and does so at every opportunity. I like mine well enough, they protect my toes better than my Birkenstocks. I still prefer my Birks for everyday wearing though, they are much easier to slip on and off.

They are a huge conversation topic though. People I have met either love the thought or hate it.
tropo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:40 PM   #60
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 12,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heymarz
I've had a pair for a year now. For someone that likes to go barefoot they're the next best thing. While I don't wear them around town, they are my main shoe for camping, kayaking and all things outdoors when hiking boots aren't needed. They pack small and light, dry out fast, and provide enough protection to walk river beds without any issues. Best water/outdoor shoe I've ever owned.

And yes they look goofy, then again I'm not one that needs the approval of my peers to validate my manhood.
:ymca

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: