ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Five Fingered Shoes. What do you think?
Five fingered shoes are the greatest advancement in foot wear, ladies dig the guys that wear them. 70 18.18%
Five fingered shoes are the greatest advancement in foot wear...but you'll never get laid. 88 22.86%
Five fingered shoes are a scam, fad...But the cool kids wear them... 13 3.38%
Five fingered shoes are a scam fad and if you wear them in public you'll never get laid, ever. 193 50.13%
Five fingered shoes... I have the hammer toe version... 21 5.45%
Voters: 385. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.83 average. Display Modes
Old 09-25-2010, 05:10 AM   #76
Nytelyte
Somewhere about

Oddometer: 623
And I don't know about hammertoes, can't relate. It seems that many have gotten them and had an improvement, but I seen an equal amount of people have gotten them and been unable... It might be a bit of a gamble. If you want to get in to minimalist shoes, you could look at the Terra Plana sets, they are minimalist but look more like standard shoes.
Nytelyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:04 PM   #77
Backmarker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,232
If you are wearin these in my neighborhood you had better be able to run.. FAST!
Old 09-26-2010, 11:52 AM   #78
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytelyte
I wear the Vibram Five Fingers.

Ummmm, shouldn't they be called "Five Toes?" Unless you're

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:41 PM   #79
davsato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
yeah, why "five FINGERS"??? biology not one of the designers best subjects at school then.....

can you get them with hairy knuckles?

i have some footglove socks that have seperate toes and they work really well to stop sweaty toes rubbing together, i suppose these are the next logical step (pardon the pun), but who can run hundreds of miles without stopping? thats a stupid thing to claim........
davsato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:27 AM   #80
Buzzez OP
Wind Powered

Oddometer: 10,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlearl476
Ummmm, shouldn't they be called "Five Toes?" Unless you're

Gummee! knows why...

~&>)
(-)@(+)______

Buzzez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:21 PM   #81
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,403
Pilot and Kbasa are strangely absent.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:36 PM   #82
tucsondude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
uhh id just not be a pus sy and go bearfoot. Has an olympian or professional athlete ever won a race in these? I do not think so, so therefore stupid gayest shit ever.

what happens when you get a rock in them, especially near the toe? you know its going to happen

no socks

if you really want to improve try walking around on the balls of your feet like your supposed to(ie stay off heel), unlike lazy modern humans with their crazy inventions called shoes... youll also grow like an inch too not responsible if this causes injury(cause your doing it wrong), im an engineer not a doctor or archeologist.
tucsondude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:52 PM   #83
Doc.Snyder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsondude
uhh id just not be a pus sy and go bearfoot. Has an olympian or professional athlete ever won a race in these? I do not think so, so therefore stupid gayest shit ever.
Records and Olympic title have been won running barefoot in the past.
Almost all new running shoes for professional athletes are made to provide a near-barefoot running experience. The strike when running barefoot is proven to be much better and there is also almost no impact shock when running barefoot (front/middle foot)

what happens when you get a rock in them, especially near the toe? you know its going to happen
No. It's not happening. Except you stick one in there.

no socks
If you really need them...

Old 09-27-2010, 05:31 PM   #84
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,925
Mine are feeling more natural every day. I really like them.

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:24 PM   #85
NomadRip
Always a n00b

Oddometer: 3,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux
That's even more dumb.

If the word is the same for fingers and toes, then for the English translation, why didn't they use the word "toes"?

A day in the Vibram-USA Marketing Department:
You aren't in marketing, I hope.

New deals, factories, distribution coming since their sales keep doing that pesky tripling thing every year they've been out. Well except their fivefold increase this past year.

Click to save $5 when you sign up for a SmugMug account! Or sign up with this coupon code: QzxDJzcJstR4A
NomadRip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:39 PM   #86
Doc.Snyder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
http://youarethetechnology.com/

Old 09-27-2010, 08:10 PM   #87
Buzzez OP
Wind Powered

Oddometer: 10,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc.Snyder
It took me a while but I finally managed to read what was written on the gals butt...

~&>)
(-)@(+)______

Buzzez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:26 PM   #88
sideshow
debaser

Oddometer: 2,777
I read "Born to Run" last winter under interest of the Copper Canyon content. Didn't expect to learn so much about running in the meantime. A great read even for non-enthusiasts. If I were a runner (I'm not) that book would have convinced me to buy a pair of the Vibrams.

I'm expecting that marketing will make it be a fad. Perhaps I'm easily swayed and believe the content of the book, but the science really seems to show that it's a (reverse?) technology with redeeming qualities. For the interested, the book presents a decent theory that all the cushioning soles and gimmicks Nike and Reebok develop are fighting the natural shock-absorbtion of our bodies are bad for longevity of your legs. I know a few marathon runners who changed their shoes and styles after reading the book and have enjoyed the evolution.
sideshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:47 PM   #89
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideshow
I read "Born to Run" last winter under interest of the Copper Canyon content. Didn't expect to learn so much about running in the meantime. A great read even for non-enthusiasts. If I were a runner (I'm not) that book would have convinced me to buy a pair of the Vibrams.

I'm expecting that marketing will make it be a fad. Perhaps I'm easily swayed and believe the content of the book, but the science really seems to show that it's a (reverse?) technology with redeeming qualities. For the interested, the book presents a decent theory that all the cushioning soles and gimmicks Nike and Reebok develop are fighting the natural shock-absorbtion of our bodies are bad for longevity of your legs. I know a few marathon runners who changed their shoes and styles after reading the book and have enjoyed the evolution.
I have a grandmother who spent the last few years of her life hobbling around bcs the flesh that provide cushioning under her calcaneus had gotten so worn away, she was basically hammering directly on her bone when she walked. After years of running, I have pretty pronounced plantar fasciitis.

I wonder if any long term studies have been done on whether running barefoot exacerbates (deterioration of the sub-calcaneus fatty tissue) or ameliorates (strengthening of arch muscles) conditions like these.

I used to have a "screw-it, you only live once" mentality wrt abusing my body. But of course...perspectives change. Personally...I want to be mobile when I'm 80.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:42 AM   #90
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft
I have a grandmother who spent the last few years of her life hobbling around bcs the flesh that provide cushioning under her calcaneus had gotten so worn away, she was basically hammering directly on her bone when she walked. After years of running, I have pretty pronounced plantar fasciitis.
Both fat pad atrophy and plantar fasciitis are conditions that can be improved by use of insoles in your shoes, don't even need to be custom. Try out some of the off the shelf arch supports from companies like dr. scholl's.

Or if the pain is quite severe and those don't help, see a DPM, get a RX and see a local orthotist or pedorthist. Either of these are able to cast you for custom arch supports, which, in the case of your grandmother would provide heel cushion + contain the fat that is still there under the calcaneus. And in your case should support your foot where it is naturally supposed to be during the day so that it doesn't get stretched/strained, and then it shouldn't cramp so bad in the morning.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: