Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2011, 05:45 AM   #166
CallMeBoog
Done

Oddometer: 5,523
just got back online now. When I left the house yesterday morning, a crew was doing some ditching next door, putting in a new culvert for the brook that meanders through my property. The culvert facilitates the brook entering the lahave...and not the highway like in the past.

anyway, about 10:00 am, they ripped my phone line off the pole and didn't say anything to anyone about it, and denied it when i asked them about it.

Roxbury was dissapointing for me. most of the signs were down, and the trail just about kicked our asses. I went down pretty hard. it wasn't muddy as in deep mud, but it was just greasy, really unpredictable. I was riding along about 15km/hr and my front tire just went sideways out from under me, left side going down. I put out my left arm to brace the fall, and it was yanked back as i skidded. broken clutch lever, screwed up front fender and a sore neck and shoulder today. shortly after that, we turned around. I'm sure glad the 9 of us didn't go in there last week - that would have been hell.

so I'll get some pics up today, I only had my iPhone, I still don't know about bringing my DSLR on a sherpa - although it would double the value of the bike!

SloPhil (or should i say StallPhill ), I did a penny tech top box after seeing some guys with dewalt sawzall boxes for panniers. I had a Bosch case for an impact driver that I dremeled out smooth and bolted to the rack. it worked good...remember, it's a mini klr!

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:20 AM   #167
fredgreen
Is it Spring yet?

Oddometer: 475
If you think that trail was rough, you should have seen where I went on my way home. I scoped out the trail you can see from the Roxbury Rd, lots of water and washouts on the hills. At one point I had to get my folding saw out of my pannier and cut a tree that was across the "road". I told Shirley if she can drive that road, she can go anywhere....no pics though, too much bugs to bother. Maybe next time.
fredgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:09 AM   #168
Slowphil
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinfevrr View Post

SloPhil (or should i say StallPhill ), I did a penny tech top box after seeing some guys with dewalt sawzall boxes for panniers. I had a Bosch case for an impact driver that I dremeled out smooth and bolted to the rack. it worked good...remember, it's a mini klr!

That's right, go ahead and make fun of some one standing up to their armpits in water

Super Blackbird CBR 1100XX.......making squids out of gentlemen since 1996
Slowphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:22 AM   #169
CallMeBoog
Done

My Pics for the day

I keep wishing I took more pics on these things. I'm going to bring a good camera next time, or at least good-er than my iphone.

Here we are at the front door of the haunted Roxbury.

Some Foundation walls here:

Samsquampsh?

Bear track and a sherpa track. see how the sherpa just hops along the trails?

THis is that lake in Nictaux

YellowKnife

The event that led to a full on down to the undies swimming in a river...Ladies, there's always room for more on our rides...

I had to mark this on my GPS - I will return to this spot.

Number 3 for YellowKnife. This was a high side that looked quite painful. At least I didn't take the pic of him on the ground trying to catch his wind...and at least there are no pics of my get-off

That last crash tweaked his windshield mount a bit, so while we waited for our pizza, we tried to save Yellowknife $350 an hour in labour. Good as new eh?

and just in case The Darth Peach is reading...

Old 06-19-2011, 08:30 AM   #170
yellowknife OP
Is In Canada

Oddometer: 681
Even with the high side

and a sore shoulder, it still beats a good day at work.

Thanks for posting the evidence.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:32 AM   #171
CallMeBoog
Done

Glad you're alright - it looked rough. Roxbury was my second ever get-off with this bike. my first looked like this - I went over the handlebars as my 21 inch front tire disappeared:

I won't lead you down that one - we'd need a tow truck to get the big grey pig out, as I nearly had a hernia trying to get the little green booger out.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:16 PM   #172
fredgreen
Is it Spring yet?

Great pics Nate, I had a good chuckle at the booger comment....
Old 06-19-2011, 06:36 PM   #173
C-Stain
Banned

Oddometer: 5,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredgreen View Post
Great pics Nate, I had a good chuckle at the booger comment....

+1

I think someone just earned a new nickname...

"Lil Green Booger"

C.
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:09 PM   #174
CallMeBoog
Done

Any nickname from you guys I'll wear with pride. I figured its kinda the polar opposite of yellowknife's "big grey pig", and it's a green Kawasaki so boogers always come to mind... Little green booger it is!

Old 06-20-2011, 06:15 AM   #175
Antennas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Nice spot..

Well now this picture explains why the DNR had to go out to a HUGE fish kill. Something about an odd ring around the water and weird smell.....

Next time I will get out there with you guys.

Andrew

http://ridethemaritimes.blogspot.ca

http://www.novascotiawebcams.com/bay...y-harbour.html
Antennas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:44 AM   #176
fredgreen
Is it Spring yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antennas View Post
Well now this picture explains why the DNR had to go out to a HUGE fish kill. Something about an odd ring around the water and weird smell.....
Next time I will get out there with you guys.

Andrew
Oops.....sorry
Old 06-20-2011, 07:00 PM   #177
CallMeBoog
Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredgreen View Post
Oops.....sorry
my bad...could be my back hair...I am a yukoner - gotta evolve stay warm!

Old 06-21-2011, 06:19 PM   #178
yellowknife OP
Is In Canada

Tuesday June 21st Day Trip

Another great day in Nova Scotia for a ride. Route - Berwick - Middleton - Old Rail Line to Lawrencetown - Port Lorne - Parkers Cove - Annapolis Royal - Route 8 to Bangs Falls - Mahone Bay
(late lunch with Antennas) - Berwick. Left at 9 am and back home at 4:30 pm.

Here are some picture highlights:
Port Lorne

Annapolis Royal

Bangs Falls

Rapids on route 210
Old 06-21-2011, 06:27 PM   #179
yellowknife OP
Is In Canada

Lunch in Mahone Bay

Pulled into Mateus Bistro with table side parking. I had the Boulballaise seafood dish and Antennas had Seafood Chowder. Two thumbs up for the lunch - $9 each plus tax and gratuity.

Parking

Fish and Seafood dish

Antennas about to dig into the Seafood Chowder - notice the polar bear t - found out we both spent time in Yellowknife - just different decades!

Seafood Chowder

Antennas took some pics of our after lunch entree - can you say gravel, dirt, mud, and a dead end.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:44 AM   #180
Antennas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Mahone Bay

Mahone Bay

It was finally a nice day so I decided to take off and go to Mahone Bay. How to get there? I figured I would go to Bear River then off the Clement'svale road is the road to Greendal and Victory. It joins the number 8 that goes to Lunenburg. I have not been that way so now was the time.
Here is the route.

So this is the road going into Bear River. Lansdown Rd. I thought it looked nice and smooth and inviting!

This is the river right from the bridge in Bear River. Finally a nice sunny day!! Bear River is a nice little spot with a general store, some coffee places and a antique/book store which is a neat place to rummage around. Lots of old stuff. He even has papers from 1865 when Lincoln was shot. Cool.

This is the intersection that leads you to Victory and Greenland as you can see. I must have been leaning as it isn't straight! Ha... a note for next time.
This is the road through Victory. Nice enough and you can actually make some time through here, but you still need to watch out for oncoming traffic as it's not very wide. Also folks in the backwoods never seem to think anyone else is on the road so you have to be carefull!!
I stopped at this little cemetary. Well kept and cared for. Nice to see. A few vets graves in here as well.
A veteran of the first war. THANKYOU.
No shortage of rocks around here. I wonder if they left two of them alone one night and...
This just looked like some kind of alien landing site or something so I took this picture!! I wonder if they would be mad if you took some free boulders???
The intersection where you come out to route 8 and onto the shore and towards Liverpool.
This old store has seen better days and looks like it has been closed for quite awhile, I love that old Pepsi sign though that would be a cool thing to hang on your garage!!
You will see this sign when you turn onto Old Westfield Rd. I took that route as it is dirt instead of pavement. It was fine and not too badly potholed.
A nice stream along Old Westfield Rd. I wonder if there are any fish in there waiting to be caught??
Stream in the picnic area where I stopped.

The table at the picnic area. Quite nice and not too many bugs!!

Down here are the outhouses, which were clean not aromatic at all!!

Last time it was open gas was 89.9 hmmm that was awhile ago!! This is located in Hemford. I guess things used to be busier a few years ago!!

Downtown New Germany!! Do not blink or you will miss it!! Although you can get pizza and gas! What else do you need?!?!

This was taken in FARMVILLE yes that place from Facebook. No sign to take a picture of though! There are only about 4 houses here so I guess population is around 8! Oh Farmville how you have fallen.

Welcome to Mahone Bay!!

Look who I found in Mahone Bay? He was there making the place look untidy. So we went for a quick ride out of Mahone Bay following Woodstock Rd. Whick looked promising until we got to this.

Nope not gonna do it.

This was taken along Barrs Corner Rd. Nice and straight and gently rolling hills.

This is along Cherryfield Rd just off the number 10 highway. Looks nice enough for a dip!

I didn't see Apu or Ned Flanders out polishing the trucks. Hmm not the same Springfield I guess.

All in all a great ride. Weather was nice and temps nice and warm. In total I went 333 Km's around Nova Scotia nad had some fun. Good times. Thanks for riding with me "Yellowknife" from ADV rider forums. See you next time.

http://ridethemaritimes.blogspot.ca

http://www.novascotiawebcams.com/bay...y-harbour.html
Antennas is offline   Reply With Quote