User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2011, 05:29 PM   #211
yellowknife OP
Is In Canada

Oddometer: 684
Last ones

Hoping to head out for another part of Nova Scotia Monday. The hurricane should be gone by then hopefully. We had a hurricane almost the same time last year come to think of it.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:24 AM   #212
fredgreen
Is it Spring yet?

Oddometer: 478
Shirley charmed Jim (the restraunt owner) into feeding us free beer when we stayed there last year. We also got the grand tour of the apartment and old boat building shop above the dining room..it is a pretty cool spot to stay.
fredgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:28 AM   #213
fredgreen
Is it Spring yet?

Wharf Rat next week????????? I'll be taking Vic., the KLR needs a new heart......
Old 08-24-2011, 03:34 PM   #214
Antennas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Digby Neck Islands

I guess I'll throw this in here.

It was a very nice warm day and sunny without any clouds so I figured it was a good time to go for a run "down the neck". So off I went after grabbing my camera.
Here is a screen shot of the route.

So not a very long run but nice and scenic and quiet as there isn't much traffic. The road is generally in good shape with a few pot holes here and there but nothing to worry about.

The route goes down the 217 highway from Digby.

This is the route marker that signs the 217 highway along the neck.

Here is a quick look at the beach in Roxville. It's a nice spot.

I figured I would take as many side roads as I could and show you what is down those spots. They are usually very small and quiet with local wharfs where a few fishermen ply their trade.

This picture above is of Sandy Cove which is a very pretty little spot. Here he clammers are out digging for clams on the low tide.

The boat above is also in Sandy Cove sitting on the mud on the low tide.

This is the lighthouse on Long island as seen from East Ferry where you wait before you catch the ferry over to the island.

There are many tour operators that will take you out on the water to see some whales and seabirds. Pick one you think you will like and away you go.

I stopped at Gulliver's Cove.

This an old fish house in Gulliver's Cove. It has been quite awhile since there was any activity in Gulliver's Cove. But look at the picture below and you will see there was some supposed pirate activity in Gulliver's Cove and that is where the name comes from! Wow cool.

The picture below is a quick snap of the beach area in Rossway. It's a nice area to get onto the beach and look around.

As you can see above this is a picture of the Midway picnic area sign. It is a very nice area with a large lake that kids like to swim in and there is a nice picnic area in the pic below that is a nice place to stop and eat or swim.

Below is a picture of the wharf in Little River. It is a very picturesque place and very quiet. There is an active fishery here with several boats taking part and fishing. There is a plant at the end of the wharf as well and you can see it in the next picture.

This is a picture looking at the wharf where the boats tie up and where the fish huts are.

One last picture of Little River. Taken on a earlier ride, but shows you how nice it is there.

Further down the road is the ferry that takes you over to Long Island. As you turn the corner this is what you see as you look over to Long Island. That is the village of Tiverton.

Below is a picture of an old fish plant on Long Island. This is down Israel Cove Rd. I always wondered what was down there. This doesn't look like it has been used in a long while. Too bad.

My next adventure down some side road was down Bear Cove Rd. It got smaller and smaller until it looked like this. It actually got worse than this too. But I made it all the way to the water and had a look at Bear Cove! This is why I bought a KLR so I could ride off road if I wanted to. I do want!

Once out of Bear Cove and back to the highway, which is still the 217, there is this small little museum just outside Tiverton. I have been in there and it's very good for a small place. The folks are very nice and can also help you out if you need directions or whatever. It is an info spot.

A little further down the road there is the balancing rock trail. It's cool and you walk down a trail for about 3.5 Km I think until you reach the other side of the island and the water. There are some stairs and you can view the balancing spire of basalt that sits there.

This is the donation box. Please try and help them out if you can so they can maintain the trail and steps etc....volunteer ya know!!

Here is the rock at the end of the trail.

Apparently there is some controversy about the fish farms folks want to put in the water in the area.
This is the wharf in Freeport. You go down Overcove Rd to get there. It's a nice little ride that takes you through the little village and it is very quaint and scenic.

The KLR on the "JOE CASEY" on the trip over to the island.

This is the western light on Brier Island. It is very quiet and there were only 3 other people there looking around. I had a quick lunch there and took a break.

On Brier Island this is the sign at the end of the 217. If you keep going you had better know how to swim! Very well I might add since the current goes through between the islands very quickly and it would take you away.

This is the Norther light on Brier Island. There is a coast guard station there on the left. A nice spot on a sunny day.

This yellow place is LAVENA'S Catch Cafe. It is very worthwhile to stop in and get some lunch or dinner. The best place for miles. It is just where you get on/off the ferry to Brier Island. Homemade everything and great prices. It's a must do.

In Central Grove there is a nice picnic spot if you would like to stop and take a break or just relax for a bit before heading to the islands or when you come off.

Well that's about it for now. I hope you enjoyed the pictures and maybe one day you will get down here as well for a ride or tour.

http://ridethemaritimes.blogspot.ca

http://www.novascotiawebcams.com/bay...y-harbour.html
Antennas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:28 PM   #215
yellowknife OP
Is In Canada

No Wharf Rat for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredgreen View Post
Wharf Rat next week????????? I'll be taking Vic., the KLR needs a new heart......
That weekend is jammed with work for me. I figured the klr would need rings soon. How was the trip up north. Going to do a RR.

Will be in touch once I get through labour day weekend.

YK
Old 08-24-2011, 06:29 PM   #216
yellowknife OP
Is In Canada

Long Island

Nice shots Andrew. I want to head there in Sept. so you can show me these cool little spots.

I wouldn't mind a quick run on the Cabot Trail this year if you are interested. Just need to check our schedules.

YK
Old 08-25-2011, 05:24 AM   #217
fredgreen
Is it Spring yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowknife View Post
That weekend is jammed with work for me. I figured the klr would need rings soon. How was the trip up north. Going to do a RR.

Will be in touch once I get through labour day weekend.

YK
RR to follow...Been busy at work, starting a new job on Monday, trying to tie up the loose ends here. Wharf Rat starts Wed. Could go down Wed. or Thurs. aft/evening. Friday evening is usually a good time too. The KLR is at 90 psi compression, had to call the Cape Breton trip short, too much oil comsumption. We still had a good time though. Cheers
Old 09-29-2011, 05:41 PM   #218
yellowknife OP
Is In Canada

The Big Grey Pig was passin Gaspe in Quebec this week

In keeping with the theme of my day trippin title NF and NS I took the BGP to the Gaspe Region in Quebec.
The first day and a bit it was strictly slab "OF" boredom for 900 kilometers to reach some decent twisty riding.
I finally reached Perce' Monday afternoon where the riding improved dramatically.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:58 PM   #219
yellowknife OP
Is In Canada

Approaching Perce' in the Gaspe Region of Quebec

The trip started off on Sunday with a very late departure.
The temperature was 29 degrees Celsius at the gate which was amazing considering the month we are in.
Although I had blue skies the whole ride, the same goodness cannot be said for the temperatures.

Example: Wednesday morning running the Appalachian route from the northern Gaspe coast south to a place called Amqui.
The temperatures were a sporting 3 C.
Nevertheless, when you get your holidays you take whatever you get.
The BGP never complained once I might add and truth be told I cracked dozens of grins on this ride.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:10 PM   #220
yellowknife OP
Is In Canada

Perce, Quebec

Here are a few shots of the rock attraction in Perce.

I arrived in Perce around 5 pm and headed directly to the information station to inquire about camping.
The rates quoted were $25 to $30 for a site on the edge of town.
Then the lady mentioned an Auberge?! much closer! $46 for a double bed, private bath, cable, internet, and a free breakfast. I decided to check it out.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:20 PM   #221
yellowknife OP
Is In Canada

Auberge Au fil des saisons

This is the reception and dining area. Super clean as was the room. I booked a room and unloaded the bike.
Then I grabbed the camera to take some pictures of the rock you have seen in the previous post.

You can see the rock from the front entrance. Note - this is a non-fumeur establishment. Location 232 on the 132 ouest route.

Breakfast was excellent, great coffee, and homemade jam. The rates were super low in my opinion due to this being the off season. Reg rate was $95 during the summer.

Old 10-01-2011, 06:50 PM   #222
yellowknife OP
Is In Canada

Next stop - Forillon National Park

Just around a few dozen corners you will come up to Forillon NP and Bon Ami campgrounds. Basically the road from Perce to Mont Joli offers lots of twists and turns along the shore. You will pass through many towns but the speeds are generally 70 kmh in towns and 90 kmh on the highways. I found 110 worked well and all the police cars seemed to ignore me. (and there were plenty of police cars in Quebec).

Old 10-02-2011, 05:49 AM   #223
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,305
Cool shots, Yellowknife! If you've got some time when this weather clears, I'm up for some Day Trippin' as I'm among the newly unemployed.....
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:29 PM   #224
yellowknife OP
Is In Canada

Ouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post
Cool shots, Yellowknife! If you've got some time when this weather clears, I'm up for some Day Trippin' as I'm among the newly unemployed.....
Sorry to hear about your job loss.

I am looking for a run up to Cape Breton real soon - like oct 9 to 13 if you think it is doable.

PM or call to discuss ...

YK

yellowknife screwed with this post 10-03-2011 at 03:43 PM
yellowknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:42 PM   #225
yellowknife OP
Is In Canada

I am not sure what happened

but a few posts I did have disappeared. I will redo them - here is hoping.

YK