User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2011, 02:34 PM   #61
yellowknife OP
Is In Canada

Oddometer: 682
Stanley to Kennetcook Trail Ride

Here is todays edition of an Out and Back Trail Ride from Stanley (an old WW 2 training Airbase - British Commonwealth Air Training Program I believe) to Kennetcook, Nova Scotia. Side note - this airbase is still used for recreational flying and there is an old WW 2 Building out back for any flyers in the crowd.

The beginning was pleasant. Horses in a field next to the sign and airbase wondering if I had an apple for them. Next time.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:40 PM   #62
yellowknife OP
Is In Canada

Trail Ride Cont.

A little further along the trail I took the Kennetcook turnoff which changed from a nice gravel trail to this.

The takeoff was good, but the landing fell apart in this picture. Wheels were down and Flaps deployed, so the only damage was to the left fog lamp. Should be able to fix it with some crazy glue or shoe glue. This was an actual low side and the mud was like grease. The tourance tires let me down big time here and the next few miles were slow going as the greasy trail kept on coming.

Nothing a little high pressure hose couldn't remove
Old 06-07-2011, 02:44 PM   #63
yellowknife OP
Is In Canada

Back to Gravel

After a while the trail started to improve and I eventually ended up in Kennetcook. It is easy to see it is spring in NS.

From here I took the Road to Rawdon Hills and then got on the old #14 Trunk Road towards Windsor. Good weather and Riding again in NS. (I thought about what I just typed and realized that this may be in error - it was actually cold and raining today - I just think anytime a person can go for a ride is Good, so I just type good weather and riding - hence this little edit)

yellowknife screwed with this post 06-07-2011 at 02:54 PM Reason: confused regarding what is and isnt good weather
yellowknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:52 PM   #64
yellowknife OP
Is In Canada

Stanley to Kennetcook Trail Ride

You can see where the fog lamp dabbed the mud in this pic. I wouldn't normally
take so many pictures of a muddy bike, but I do it to show the haters that not all GSA's are parked at Starbucks

Next post will be on Fort Point on the Atlantic Side of NS. Stay Tuned.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:45 PM   #65
yellowknife OP
Is In Canada

Fort Point

As history goes in Nova Scotia; Fort Point would rank fairly high on the list of important places. This was the first bit of land that Champlain and Du Mont saw after leaving France. These men arrived by boat on May 8, 1604 in what is now Green Bay.

They named the first point of land they saw Cap de la Hève, after the last point of land seen as they sailed from the shores of France. King Louis XIII made the decision for this site to be the First Capital of New France.

One placard said that 25 cannons guarded this water way, and the area was settled by the French until they eventually moved to Port Royal (located on the Bay of Fundy).

Old 06-07-2011, 06:07 PM   #66
yellowknife OP
Is In Canada

Museum

The next picture is the museum that houses information on the area from the 1600's to present. Cost to go in is a donation.
If you ask nice they will give you a key to the top of the museum. There are some very interesting items on display but I will leave that for you to discover on your trip to NS.

Nice little beach and view towards the Atlantic Ocean. The lighthouse is not operational here,
but there is one operating a few miles towards the ocean that is in this picture but not really easy to see.

Awesome Motorcycle past the flag pole.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:02 AM   #67
CallMeBoog
Done

Oddometer: 5,523
Glad you enjoyed fort point - it's about 10 minutes down the road from me. Must go for sat/sun brunch at the LaHave Bakery...me gusta...

Electric City has been high on my list for a while...may have to get off my butt and do it this year. Have you been to Roxbury? It's up near bridgetown...supposed to be quite the little secret ghost town tucked in the woods with some ripped up muddy road that keeps people out. There are signs at every foundation indicating who lived there, and also the cemetary is being kept up by some mountain hermit that has never been seen....

wanna go?

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:59 AM   #68
tmills
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Talking day trippin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinfevrr View Post
Glad you enjoyed fort point - it's about 10 minutes down the road from me. Must go for sat/sun brunch at the LaHave Bakery...me gusta...

Electric City has been high on my list for a while...may have to get off my butt and do it this year. Have you been to Roxbury? It's up near bridgetown...supposed to be quite the little secret ghost town tucked in the woods with some ripped up muddy road that keeps people out. There are signs at every foundation indicating who lived there, and also the cemetary is being kept up by some mountain hermit that has never been seen....

wanna go?
I do sounds like fun
tmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:12 AM   #69
fredgreen
Is it Spring yet?

Oddometer: 478
Roxbury is only about 10 km from my place, and I'd be happy to go back to New France. I can pretty much get there from Bridgetown via gravel/logging roads if anyone is interested...........anyone........anyone
fredgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:42 AM   #70
fredgreen
Is it Spring yet?

Yellowknife- I ran into (not literally) Bluenoser at the Bridgetown Timmy's on Monday. He told me to say hi....so Hi.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:59 AM   #71
yellowknife OP
Is In Canada

Roxbury and New France Sunday?

Quote:

wanna go?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredgreen View Post
Yellowknife- I ran into (not literally) Bluenoser at the Bridgetown Timmy's on Monday. He told me to say hi....so Hi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmills View Post
I do sounds like fun
The weather looks good for Sunday. I am free that day if folks want to head into New France and Roxbury or just New France. Maybe an idea to meet for breakfast along the way either in Bridgetown, Annapolis Royal, or Digby. Hi Back to Bluenoser.

What do you folks think?
Old 06-08-2011, 08:04 AM   #72
yellowknife OP
Is In Canada

Lahave Bakery

Quote:

wanna go?
Sunday to New France?

i loved the shepherds pie and carrot cake and lemonade they served at the Bakery. Must make it to the brunch sometime.

fort point - what a nice place. Lets see if we can do a ride into NF.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:40 AM   #73
fredgreen
Is it Spring yet?

I can do a New France/Roxbury run on Sunday.. Have you taken the Morganville rd/Irving rd. to Riverdale yet ? I can get us from Roxbury to New France with minimal asphalt, but not single track if interested. I'm just not as fast as the Beemer .....
Old 06-08-2011, 09:58 AM   #74
yellowknife OP
Is In Canada

Interested for sure

Lets figure out some details and then post them here if anyone else wants to join in the fun.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:46 AM   #75
CallMeBoog
Done

Oddometer: 5,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredgreen View Post
I can do a New France/Roxbury run on Sunday.. Have you taken the Morganville rd/Irving rd. to Riverdale yet ? I can get us from Roxbury to New France with minimal asphalt, but not single track if interested. I'm just not as fast as the Beemer .....
HAH! fast as a beemer --> I ride a sherpa, so you and i can flank on the hard top, but lead on the trails!

Hmmm, we're going camping in Caledonia (queens) this weekend, but I usually toss the bike in the cage for a little relief from hardcore relaxing...not my style.

gotta run this by the warden, but I don't think she'd be too put out if I effed off for a ride on sunday. Caledonia is about 40ish minutes from annapolis royal, then another 25 ish (going from memory), from there...then I don't think Roxbury is all that far from digby. where are you all located? where would a meet point be - bridgetown?

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote