User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2010, 06:05 PM   #1
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,400
Eek Superbug turned Truck Tramp & Moab Failed

This is one ride report I was thinking of not doing but since Iím always asking others to share their rides even the ones that donít go so smoothly I figured fair is fair and I should do the same. With this Day Trippiní forum available I donít have to feel bad about cluttering up the Ride Report forum with my non-epic ride.

It started with my friend Oldtimer from TX asking if I had time off in Sept. and if he brought his KLX250 up would I have a dirt route we could do. Oh Yeah! Do I ever, thereís an Idaho route I have wanted to do and this would be perfect. After a few days of emails back and forth we decided a 2000+ drive for him to get to WA with no guarantees with the weather it might not be the best plan. SIGH! I was disappointed but at the same time I knew he was right as the mountains in Idaho this time of year can get mighty cold and that is a long drive.

Oldtimer then came up with a compromise - - - ďWhy donít we meet in Moab, itís about Ĺ way for both of us and the weather is warmer?Ē I was still disappointed about the ID thing being cancelled, as I really wanted to do the mountain thing rather than the desert thing but what the heck I have wanted to ride Moab, so why not? I thought about it for a bit and decided this was a good compromise and I told Oldtimer I was in.

I already had plans to attend a Vintage Trials competition and I didnít want to miss it so we planned our meeting day to accommodate me leave after the competition. I like seeing vintage bikes and enjoy watching trials riding and this was something I was looking forward to.

With my í07 Suzuki DR200SE, the Superbug , loaded in the pickup I stopped in Rockford, WA to meet a few other ADVriders for breakfast before going to the competition. I was lacking in my ADV manners and forgot to get pictures of breakfast.

Next stop Fairfield, WA at the Rattlers Run Farms for the Trials Competition.

Lamotovita, one of our local ADVriders, would be participating in the competition on his vintage Bultaco, wearing his vintage riding gear that still fits him. (That last part really annoys me since my old riding clothes would start screaming if I tried to wear them Ė yes, Iím jealous. )

I like the biker gang Ė They are wearing matching shirts so they must be a gang.

My buddy, PNW Buttercup, found a bike she likes. Ah heck she found more than one bike she liked and so did I.

Lamotovita taking on one of the sections and he did well. Itís difficult to see what they were doing here in still photos but the hill was steep and covered with slick, dry grass and they were doing very tight turns on the hill at the slow trials speed. Impressive.

Kootenai Rider was recruited to help out with scoring on this section and he was watching intensely to make sure this guy didnít put a foot down and he didn't. Mean while I was checking out this bike because I like it. Itís an AJS and a very nice bike. Itís a brand I was not familiar with and it really caught my eye.

The rider didnít do too badly; he was an excellent rider and even gave me a smile when asked.

There were a lot more bikes and riders but itís time to move on. I headed out; it was time to make my way to Utah.

Ever feel like you have a backseat driver looking over your shoulder? This is what I saw every time I looked in my rearview mirror. I donít think the Superbug liked riding in the back of the pickup.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:23 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,251
Sounds like a fun time!
Old 09-22-2010, 06:45 PM   #3
PNW Buttercup
Dancing with dirt roads..

Oddometer: 1,756
Yep yep yep

I think the superbug threw a temper tantrum on you for throwing it in the truck.... that picture of your rear view looks like it's sticking it's tongue out

...now buttercup enjoys a little truck ride as long as the destination is a good one

.silly women personifying their bikes..
PNW Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:08 PM   #4
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

PNW Buttercup, I think you are correct - the Superbug did throw a tantrum. That'll teach me.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:16 PM   #5
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Even though I was driving the interstate the views off in the distance wasnít too bad.

During an overnight stop in Dillon, MT and I found this Hotel. At night it looked like a spook house ready for Halloween. During the daylight I looked through the windows and saw a beautiful dark wood staircase and reception desk. The hotel part is closed, I think, but at night the bar is still open. It seems like bars are always a priority in so many small towns. The Hotel was fun to check out and I wish I could have gone in.

I made it to Utah and not far from Moab I stopped at a rest area and checked out the view. I like seeing plants that aren't common in the Pacific Northwest so I had to check this plant out.

As I was waiting for Oldtimer at the McDonaldís in Moab I spotted these bikes across the street at the brewery. Anyone know these bikes?

An orange one joined them after this pic was taken. I walked over and looked at the bikes and I didnít spot any ADV stickers but they were proudly wearing Giant_Loops I was thinking about going in to the brewery to see what I could find since the riders must have good taste but Oldtimer showed up.

We headed out to the Archview_Resort to check in. They have neat little cabins with air conditioning, which was welcome since it was hot there compared to Spokane. As far as Oldtimer was concerned it was nice since it was a dry heat rather than the humid heat he has in Longview, TX.

One of the views from the cabin.

We unloaded the trucks and got things unpacked in anticipation of riding for the next four days. I was really looking forward to riding this area, this was going to be so much fun.

As we were getting ready to lube our chains I pulled my latest acquisition out of my tool tube to impress Oldtimer with and it did. This nifty bike crutch is the best, it makes lubing the chain so much easier. The tire is up off the ground even though it doesnít look like it in the picture. The crutch is adjustable so if need be the tire can be lifted higher.

A HUGE thank you to Walla Walla Bob and Fatherof4 they sent it to me by special delivery after the Hells_Canyon/Wallowa_Valley_Gathering as a thank you for hosting the event. Those two guys are terrific.

More to come but in the meantime if you would like to see some of the Hells Canyon Gathering Pics they start here - - -> Linky (do you like the way Iím trying to distract you and string out this report? )
Old 09-22-2010, 07:51 PM   #6
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,441
Hi from Montana

Old 09-23-2010, 01:21 AM   #7
el guapo nada
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
1978 Honda CX500
el guapo nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:23 AM   #8
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

My 74 year old riding partner has more energy than anyone should be allowed. He got up and went for an early morning warm up ride before we went motorcycling.

This is better, the gear and the bike are the types I can relate too.

And off we go. I liked this road it looks easy peasy doesn't it? It looks like tons of fun too.

Not long after that as I was happily riding along when I see the road split ahead and Oldtimer wasnít in view, one split went down a hill. I slowed down a bit, not that I was going all that fast, to determine which way Oldtimer went. Oh there he is, he took a right. About the time I realized where he was I also realized I was going into a downhill corner with deep silty sand. YIKES Ė plop, down I go. Oldtimer helped me get the bike up and off we go again. There were no pictures so maybe it didnít really happen.

Then I spotted Oldtimer stopped ahead. Hmmmmmm I wonder why he stopped, I wasnít lagging that far behind and this was easy stuff.

Uh oh, he lost the screws in his throttle housing and it fell apart. Oldtimer walked back to see if he could find the housing and screws. He found the housing but not the screws. Oltimer put the throttle back together and secured it with a 10Ē bungie and we returned to camp for a better fix.

On the way back to camp we had to go through the same sand I had fallen in earlier and I made it through fine this time. After the throttle was repaired we returned and again I got through the sand with no problem. Whaaahoo for me! I should have taken a picture of that nasty corner but at the time I didnít think about it because I was more worried about staying upright.

We made it beyond where the throttle fell apart and I thought it was going to be smooth sailingÖÖ I was so wrong. We encountered more silty, deep, sand this time an uphill. I headed up first and was pretty pleased with myself when I made it to the top fine. I found what looked like a flat firm spot, stopped and put the kickstand down to wait for Oldtimer only to discover it wasnít at all firm. The kickstand sunk in, the Superbug and I fell over. Plop, plop. Sheesh.

Here comes Oldtimer

He made it, of course, it was a piece of cake for him.

Oldtimer wouldnít help me pick up the bike until I gave him my camera and let him take a picture. What the heck, I rarely post pictures of myself so this time I will. Heck falling over is what I do best so why not.

Since I screwed up, Oltimer decided I needed the practice and he sent me back down to try it again. Only problem was as I headed down I took the right side of the trail, which was the wrong side of the trail, and down I go again. The sand on this side was softer and deeper than the other side. I was wearing my helmet but Barry removed it so he could get to the camera, which was on a lanyard around my neck. Another photo op was taken he does ADV too well.

I got back down the hill and started back up and thought I was doing OK until I lost control, again, and ended up down again but at least my crashes were getting more creative.

Reading LittlelWanís Ride_Report I learned to Make XYZ your favorite, in this case it would be Make Sand Your Favorite - - - and in Allanís Ride_Report he said he used Make Rocks Your favorite and it worked for him so why didnít Make Sand Your Favorite work for me? I think it must need to be coupled with a some riding skills.

It was hot out, Barry was now getting bored with the photo ops, and picking up my bike so he decided to show me how itís done.

He made it but got spotted riding the Superbug and without a helmet no less. At least it wasn't anyone he knew.

In short order we made it to where we were going and an ATV tour group was there. The tour leader asked me how I was enjoying the ride. I told him when I wasnít falling down I was having a great time.

And Oldtimer was waiting for me again. Dang I need to get in better shape before I go out playing with him again.

Taking pictures of rocks is a good way to get a break.

King of the hill.

And this is what was at the end of the trail

Ahhhhh look whoís finally taking a break.

It is a nice view and worth the ride and short hike

Actually for anyone else this is an easy ride and wouldnít take long at all. Iím not used to riding sand and managed to do just about everything wrong even though I know the correct way to ride sand. Knowing and doing seem to be two different things for me. Oldtimer was amazingly patient, which I appreciated.

On the way out we took a wrong fork in the road and ended up on a long section of deep, silty, sand but this time with whoops thrown in. I started out doing better then the whoops got me and down I go again. Once again Oldtimer helped me get the bike up and had me take the lead so he could spot me falling down quicker. I got to where the trail went down a hill and it was still deep sand so I stopped to check out what was a head. We could see trails that looked firm down below but we didnít know where those trails went. We also knew we were on the wrong trail since we didnít have whoops on the way in. I wanted to go down the hill to the firm trail because I didnít want to ride the whoops again. Oldtimer reminded me that we didnít know where those trails went and they might be worse and we might still have to turn around and come back the way we went in and if we did then we would have to climb the sandy hill. OK fine I would tackle the whoops again. At the end of the whoops I didnít fall again and Oldtimer didnít give me crap about duck walking.

I still found a few more spots to fall over though and Oldtimer had another chance to ride the Superbug . He kept telling me he didn't want anyone to see him riding my girlie bike.

At this intersection we looked at the guide and discussed if we wanted to take the other trail or return to camp. I was hot, pooped, and didnít want to fall down again. If there wouldnít be any deep, silty, sand I would have happily been up for more but I was afraid there would be more sand lurking ahead. Time to go back to camp. (Iím such a whimp)

Stay tuned for the rest of the story . . .
Old 09-23-2010, 07:56 AM   #9
Kodanja
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048
Time to go back to camp. (Iím such a whimp)
Whimp?....I don't think so . You aren't about to let that sand keep you down....
Kodanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:35 AM   #10
Silent Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
The Superbug, I think the bags hanging off the side caused the tip overs...
Silent Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:12 AM   #11
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,660
No shame in riding the Superbug without a helmet, all the cool kids are doing it.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:43 AM   #12
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048

Make Sand Your Favorite! why didnít Make Sand Your Favorite work for me?
Aw. Sorry, Ladybug!
BigWan thinks snow is the devil, but I think it's sand.

You sure are a good sport for trying, and a great sport for posting all those sand nap photos!

P.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Buttercup
.silly women personifying their bikes..
oh - we all know the guys do it, too!
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:40 PM   #13
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,297
Moab sand traps
Old 09-23-2010, 04:02 PM   #14
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodanja
Whimp?....I don't think so . You aren't about to let that sand keep you down....
Nope and I found someone willing to help me learn the fine art of sand riding rather than sand falling.

OregonCoast of Two_Noobs_racing and One_Noob,_a_vintage_Honda_Twin_and The Mexican 1000 volunteered and boy is he going to be surprised when I actually show up and say OK now teach me. He'll have his work cut out for him, I wonder just how patient he is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Bob
The Superbug, I think the bags hanging off the side caused the tip overs...
Dang, Silent Bob speaks OK I take the excuse that it was the bags. They were empty but I'll count all that extra weight as the cause. I'm headed your way to learn how to play in the sand - I'll let you know when I'm coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy
No shame in riding the Superbug without a helmet, all the cool kids are doing it.
Never, never, never leave keys in your bike with LarryBoy around . . .

(LarryBoy taking a bit of a joy ride on the Superbug at the Barnacle Bistro Grand Opening in Gold Beach, OR)

That's about one of the crappiest pictures I've taken but I never get tired of it and it always makes me laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan
Aw. Sorry, Ladybug!
BigWan thinks snow is the devil, but I think it's sand.

You sure are a good sport for trying, and a great sport for posting all those sand nap photos!

P.S. oh - we all know the guys do it, too!
Hi LittleWan thanks for popping in. I agree with you sand is the devil but then again snow and ice are too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal
Moab sand traps
Ohhhhh you've been there.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:32 PM   #15
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,884
Hey Bug, you rock!

You should have brought me along...then you really would have watched someone's bike turn super-narcoleptic for you. I nauseate sand!
I was born lost and take no pleasure in being found." ~ John Steinbeck

WU7X is offline   Reply With Quote