User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2010, 08:07 AM   #1
Claim Jumper OP
will work for knobbies

Oddometer: 520
R100/7 Reserve?

Hey Guys, quick question. So last night i am on the freeway and I decide to open up the old girl (I have been doing a lot of work on it lately and have not had a chance to do WFO yet). Anyway things are going great and around 95 indicated it starts cutting out like it is running out of gas so I slow down, go to reserve and pull over and put in 4.5 gallons or so. Does this sound right for a stock R100/7 gas tank?

Thanks
Claim Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:22 AM   #2
Big John Sny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
That is about where mine kicks in.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:30 AM   #3
Claim Jumper OP
will work for knobbies

Great. I haven't run many tanks through this bike and I have hard time believing that it really is ready for the open road. It does run down the road well. Is there any special procedure for the two petcocks for reserve?
Old 09-23-2010, 08:46 AM   #4
Big John Sny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
just think of it as having two reserves. The one on the right is supposed to be a bit spaller for some years but it seemed to be pretty close to the same size on my 77 when I relined the tank. It is easier for me to reach the left hand reserve while I am riding, so if I am already on reserve I run on the right reseve untill it starts to sputter and kick on the left, or get to a gas station, whichever happens first. I am sure there are different methods for everyone. I heard that you can run one side in the on position and when it kicks go to the other side at on, then use the reserves one at a time to have more like 3 reserves, but that just seems like too much effort for me.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:26 AM   #5
Claim Jumper OP
will work for knobbies

Great, thanks for the info. The funny thing about these bikes is that everybody says how simple they are, but every procedure you do on them is complicated and cunfusing (at least to me). I think that is why guys stick with them and become such big fans, once they figure out some of this crap they figure they might as well get another one...at least that is what I plan on doing!
Old 09-23-2010, 11:58 AM   #6
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claim Jumper
Great, thanks for the info. The funny thing about these bikes is that everybody says how simple they are, but every procedure you do on them is complicated and cunfusing (at least to me). I think that is why guys stick with them and become such big fans, once they figure out some of this crap they figure they might as well get another one...at least that is what I plan on doing!
My experience: As soon as you think you "know it all" something else shows up that will stump you...at least for a while. Old BMW ownership can be a humbling experience.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:06 PM   #7
Claim Jumper OP
will work for knobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhacker
My experience: As soon as you think you "know it all" something else shows up that will stump you...at least for a while. Old BMW ownership can be a humbling experience.
Heck yeah, humbling but gratifying! I have loved my newer bikes they don't require much wrenching and to me that is much of the fun of motorcycles. With the R100/7 I know there is always stuff I can fiddle with/learn/improve.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:44 PM   #8
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,355
just be sure to use both sides once in awhile, they will get stickey and then not usable when that 1st reserve runs out....then you have to stop and lay the bike on its side for a second....
LifeSong
BKMLWR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:45 PM   #9
Rapid_Roy
finally understands

Oddometer: 24,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John Sny
just think of it as having two reserves. The one on the right is supposed to be a bit spaller for some years but it seemed to be pretty close to the same size on my 77 when I relined the tank. It is easier for me to reach the left hand reserve while I am riding, so if I am already on reserve I run on the right reseve untill it starts to sputter and kick on the left, or get to a gas station, whichever happens first. I am sure there are different methods for everyone. I heard that you can run one side in the on position and when it kicks go to the other side at on, then use the reserves one at a time to have more like 3 reserves, but that just seems like too much effort for me.
It's not too much effort. I have to do it often when I ride with my friend with extended range tanks. I just reach down and flip the left side up. If I don't reach a gas station, I start to panic when I go on double secret reserve.

In fact, I did run out because he was pushing it in SD.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:46 PM   #10
Rapid_Roy
finally understands

Oddometer: 24,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMLWR
just be sure to use both sides once in awhile, they will get stickey and then not usable when that 1st reserve runs out....then you have to stop and lay the bike on its side for a second....
Oops, this too.
BTW, I have about 40k on my /7, and I have loved every minute of it (except when I hit that deer).
Old 09-23-2010, 01:55 PM   #11
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
Bad deer.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:37 PM   #12
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhacker

It's worth it, though.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:05 PM   #13
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 2,170
If this is a new bike to you, one of the things I'd suggest is to remove the tank, drain it, remove the fuel taps and inspect them.

Don't be surprised to see lots of red flaky stuff if you haven't already done this. That's the tank liner and one of those "they all do that sir" things.

I'd flush and clean the taps and the tank, and compare the lengths of the tubes. If they've been trimmed then you'll have a shorter reserve.

It's a 24 litre "S" tank right?
Fuel Tank Capacity: 24 litres / 6.34 gal US. 3.78 litres per usa Gall.
This is how I work it....
If the tap tubes are as they were when new (and not cut shorter) then you should run for 21 litres (5.5usGall) before res #1. I do right tap to res. then. Another 1.5litres of use to 22.5 litres (5.95usGall) to res #2. I do left tap to res. then...and look for a top up soon.
In reality it's a tad under 24 litres to empty. I think it's very difficult to actually squeeze the full amount in there.

On average I get about 15kpl, but that depends on how I'm riding at the time. Mountain riding with the rpm seldom below 5K the usage can go down to 10.5kpl. (about 40mpg)

So I figure that when I get to 1st res I have 45 ks absolute max distance to go, more if I'm careful with the throttle.

Over time with more use, your cerebral fuel gauge will know what your tank is doing re: fuel left and when to fill. You'll make your own calcs often enough.

boxerboy81 screwed with this post 09-23-2010 at 09:12 PM
boxerboy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:31 PM   #14
Claim Jumper OP
will work for knobbies

Thanks for the info boxerboy. I had the tank off in the spring when i lined it with POR 15 and I rebuilt the petcocks then. At that time only one of the petcocks had an in tank fuel filter so I replaced them both.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #15
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
HAHA! I JUST posted a thread on this exact same question about a week ago! My 1978 R100RS goes on reserve right at 145miles....and there is at least 2 gallons left in the tank at that point. BTW when I fill up when it goes on reserve, almost exactly 4.5 gals go in!