Oddometer: 3,355
Any updates?

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:26 AM   #17
Tbone OP
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,225
(HS#4) Sunnrunners- Salute to Veterans HS.

Have you ever looked at the finishing times for your class with bewilderment? Have you sat there and wondered how you were going to find those 5 or 6 extra minutes of speed to run with the big dogs? Well, this is a story where I found them....

The "Salute to Veterans" HS took place in Bartow,Fl. The course is ran on land from a reclaimed phosphate mine so it's unique in that it has some interesting elevation changes. The parking area is on a large extended plateau that lends to excellent viewing as the race course is laid out 80-100ft below. The course had received some rain prior to the race weekend so the course was in great condition. Open fields, mature plated pines, motocross elements, and off-camber lines offered something for everyone. The quads ran on their own track for a change so the lines that formed were true single track in many areas and new acreage had been opened up for the club to use for the course. (Sat mileage was 7 miles and Sunday was 8.5-ish)

Haley and I went and did the practice lap before her race. Since she was new to the bike so I wanted to see how she handled the course. She seemed tentative but handled it all with no real issues. We talked prior to her race about how we were back to racing one lap at a time. This was riding with adult sized people, with adult sized bikes at speed.There was another young lady that showed up in her class, so now we had a race.
I think when the gun went off (something new I'd never seen used before) I think the realization that this is the deep end of the pool might have set in. She went into the first corner last (on purpose) and 2 corners in missed a simple off camber corner she had done in practice no problem. A loss of momentum created a bike laying on the downhill side. Some nice course help and she was off. Watching from above the bluff it's obvious this is going to truly be a challenge for her to run the speed the rest of the class is. It's nerve wracking waiting there as the rest of the class streams through and she's no where in sight. My wife exclaimed "I think I see her!", followed with "I think she's off in the bushes" . I asked where and she says "See that tree that's moving around? That's her"
Minutes go buy and she's up and moving. We cheer as she rolls over the step-up jump...and dumps the bike 2 corners from the finish.
So 33 minutes after her adventure began it was over. It seems a beginner rider from 2 rows behind her caused an issue with a right hand uphill which knocked her off-line and caused the bike and her to go their separate ways. Landing on something hard had caused some back pain, rolled in with the reality of the day was enough. Tears were flowing, but the acknowledgment of what lays ahead was taken away from the day and she's excited about the race after next (grades will cause the skipping of the next one).

Which brings me to my race. Went out and ran the practice lap. Course was so enjoyable I ran the whole thing...and I felt good, I mean REAL good. I don't know why, but a sense of confidence came over me. Either it was the course, the weather, or fate but I was so excited for the race to start, which it did with a kick, and another kick, a wheelie, another wheelie, and the first corner.

The beginning of my race was not going to plan at the moment, but I set off to start passing people in front of me. As simple as this sounds, sometimes it seems a lot harder than you'd think, except for today .As we strung out along the side of the bluff weaving up and down the side I counted at least 8 helmets strung out in front of me.Then I noticed it..I wasn't worried. I started picking people off one at a time. I was opportunistic as 2 guys had slow wrecks in the pines. I looked for more efficient, smother lines, and kept passing people. I rolled through the chicane to end the first and looked up at scoring...it read "3rd"

Now at this point I'm feeling great. I'm going fast when the course lets me go fast, not taking chances in the MX areas as I'm horrible in them, and almost seeming like I'm riding one gear faster than I'm used to. Soon I see him...34C. Ryan Turner is fast on a dirt bike, to the point he started last in the first race of the year (forgot to turn his gas on..oops ) and still finished 3rd. He won the last race so now I'm thinking...He must be the leader! Now the revelation at this point is one that pays dividends beyond the race, the day, the season. I can do this ! I can run this pace, at least on this day, and that's a shot of energy that you don't find in a energy bar, bottle, or pill. I'm following 34C and we get dumped onto a straight with a few chicanes thrown in. I pulled up along side Ryan and yell "Come on 34C" as I passed him hard on the gas and into woods. It doesn't really settle in at this point, as I'm too busy trying to go fast, but I'm in first place.

First place !!!! The mere fact that I'm typing those words still seems strange a week later. Having spent 3 years on and way-off trying this racing thing, I only gave this possibility a fleeting thought. So little that It really isn't on my mind as I am coming up on straggler's from classes that started in front of me. I've run across the occasional one in races before, but never in the amount and at the level of rider ability of what I'm seeing now. I'm thinking "what do I yell?" as usually I'm the one getting hollered at. One comes to a stop, right in the bottom of a sand whoop. I kill my speed until I can figure out what he's doing when I miss the next whoop and "down goes Frazier" as 2nd.....3rd.... 4th...and a couple of straggler's go by.
Crap. I run back to the bike , fire it up and start back -off. Thus begins a cycle of not knowing how to lead a race. Seems there's more to it than I would have imagined I actually thought to my self that I must be going fast cause I keep crashing.. I spend a couple of miles catching back up and I'll be danged if I'm back up on the lead group with 3 riders in front of me. Start out the 3rd lap and try to get back to Ryan. Manage to pass him on another straight and I'm back in first, until I hit a tree trying to pass straggler's in some planted pines. Back by goes 2nd...3rd.."sigh"...pass them both back again and I start to think...I can win this thing !!! Now I'll be honest to say I started to get a little emotional as it's starting to settle in. I try not to screw up as I roll over the step-up and hit the last few corner's before the scoring chicane. All of a sudden I see him out of the corner of my eye..34C. Ryan executed the best looking block pass I've ever been involved in. He squirted off after stuffing me and I thought "Why you SOB!"..then I realized he deserved it for pulling off that move so close to the end..but what's that ahead...the white flag? Seems we're going out for another lap and that's when I realized maybe it wasn't quite over yet.

Now I've got to figure where to make my move. One section of the track we raced up the side of the bluff to a double green at the top and back down. I hugged the post so close my bark buster smacked off of it as Ryan went up higher and I led him back down the hill. Now it's always easier to follow someone than it is to lead, so I'm thinking I've got to get enough distance between us where he loses sight of me and hopefully slows down a little. I race into the pines, desperately trying to get some distance between us, maybe too desperately. Out of the corner of my eye I see it as I rush by...a green arrow. Now the problem with that is I'm supposed to ride between them, not to the outside of one like I just did...aaagghhh ! As I spin around to go back through you-know-who zips past. He either let out a cry of joy or compassion as I now had given up the lead. I circled back through only to miss them again, so after performing a figure 8 I was back on track. Up until now I had been feeling out of this world. Not tired, riding well other than the crashes, and basically feeling the groove. Then the damn broke, or more specifically, the blisters.
I've never raced 4 laps, or as many as the leaders even. The speed, race time, and genius move of wearing brand new gloves all contributed to some big blisters on my left hand popping half-way through the last lap. Now I've got to salvage 2nd so I'll just grin and bear it.Bad line choice and I'm down again. Pick the bike up and try to hold on. Roll through the scoring chicane, 2nd place !!! I'm getting wood! Seems Ryan put 40 seconds on me after we last parted ways and took the win on his way to advancing up to Senior B. Afterwords he talked about the race and he commented he felt bad for me when he saw me circling around for the missed double green. He wouldn't have protested my finish if I hadn't went back as I hadn't gained any advantage. I replied that without rules we don't have a sport, plus I wasn't disappointed with 2nd. I just wasn't ready to win a race it seems, but after tasting the front it's not something I want to forget!

Now get out there and ride!

Video of race...Vet B rider.
http://www.dirtysouthmx.com/FTR1011H...eterans_HC.php

Senior C
Place # Name AMA # Brand City, State Point Adv Laps Elapsed
1 34C Ryan Turner KTM Casselberry, FL 50 10 4 1:56:22
2 117C Troy Stainbrook KTM Odessa, FL 47 5 4 1:57:00
3 18C Vernon Hackett 223505 KTM Port St Lucie, FL 45 4 4 1:57:41
4 31C Tom Miller 696207 KTM North Port, FL 43 3 3 1:29:30
5 48C David Davis 854296 KTM Lake City, FL 41 2 3 1:29:50
6 27C Brian Brannigan 941420 Yamaha Winter Garden, FL 40 0 3 1:32:02
7 15C Kevin Vaughan KTM North Port, FL 39 0 3 1:32:05
8 818C Irvin Kelly 942897 Honda Kissimmee, FL 38 0 3 1:33:41
9 26C Robert Ryan 941623 Yamaha Lake Mary, FL 37 0 3 1:34:24
10 20C Charles Nix Suzuki Inverness, FL 36 0 3 1:36:07
11 94C Steve Skinner KTM Spring Hill, FL 35 0 3 1:37:22
12 51C Eric Rasberry KTM Geneva, FL 34 0 3 1:39:25
13 522C Kevin Witkowski Honda Sarasota, FL 33 0 3 1:51:12
14 133C Richard Malmberg 941161 KTM Winter Garden, FL 16 0 2 1:01:10
15 40C Chris Tolken 106451 KTM New Port Richey, FL 16 0 2 1:03:47
16 75C Darryl Siemer 930978 KTM Tampa, FL 8 0 1 0:30:50
17 704C David Sommers Honda St Petersberg, FL 7 0 1 0:34:10
18 812C Kurt Miller Suzuki Springhill, FL 7 0 1 0:46:10

Tbone screwed with this post 11-15-2010 at 11:03 AM
Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:30 AM   #18
DC950
Microadventurer

Oddometer: 2,717

excellent!

DC950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:15 PM   #19
Tbone OP
off-ramp slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC950

excellent!
Still hard to believe isn't it?
Old 11-16-2010, 12:50 PM   #20
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,174
Cool! My sis won the overall women's championship in AMA D7 years ago at age 14 (I think) on a seriously clapped out '91 KX80 big wheel.

Congrats on your 2nd place, go train and such and hit up the B class next year, sounds like you are ready for it!

That course looks like a lot of fun, what's the name of the event? Maybe I'll come down for a race there sometime :)

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703

BikePilot screwed with this post 11-16-2010 at 12:57 PM
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:09 PM   #21
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Great job, and great report, T-Bone!

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
Old 11-16-2010, 05:45 PM   #22
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakes
Great job, and great report, T-Bone!

Inspiration for my (our) future?

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:31 PM   #23
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,476
What an awesome picture
Now there is someone that had a great day
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:41 PM   #24
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,965
Gee - You write a mean race report!

Congrats all round.
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:52 PM   #25
DolphinJohn
Really, Really Cool

Oddometer: 3,717
It was nice to meet you and Haley this weekend. Great job at the race and I really enjoy the reports.

John

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:15 PM   #26
Tbone OP
off-ramp slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinJohn View Post
It was nice to meet you and Haley this weekend. Great job at the race and I really enjoy the reports.

John
It was our pleasure to hang out with you ! Now you know what a circus this outfit really is.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:16 PM   #27
Tbone OP
off-ramp slayer

Carlton's Old School Rodeo HS report

This weeks report is coming from Myakka, Fl at the Carlton Ranch. The Old School Dirt Riders were offering a fine mix of tight woods, open pastures and several creek crossings(7.4 miles for Sat and 10.3 for Sunday) Right away it was obvious the club had their act together as sign-up went quickly and a map was provided to view the course from overhead and see all the nice Sunday only trail that was going to be available.
Sat soon arrived and so did Haley's afternoon race. After her one lap experience from the prior race, there was much motivation to improve on that and get some experience under her belt. She received loads of advice/support from club member's to make her goal a seemingly easy one...race until they tell you to stop. The need to put miles/laps on are obvious, yet the nerves and self doubt are never far away to wreck such well meant plans.We'll wait and see how she does.

Beeeeeeeeeeeeep ! She's off. Last place into the first creek crossing on purpose and off into the woods she goes. At this point her mother Lori starts the hand wringing. I'm not to worried about her, as I know great clubs like OSDR have people out there to help if trouble should arise, and besides the bike breaking (That then would be my issue then) she is on her own.

Soon she arrives from out of the creek and completes the first lap. At this point she looks okay and heads out for a 2nd one. We're not concerned how fast she's is, she's still trying ! Before you know it she appears from the water and looks great...then dumps the bike in the scoring chicane. In her defense, she wasn't the only one I saw do this , so I ran over, got her up righted and asked about a third lap. "I can do another one?...oh yeah !" was her reply as she headed out yet again. Lori and I were excited as her attitude was one of a finisher, and she proved us correct...3 laps! They all counted and a big step in building confidence was achieved. She later admitted the though of being teased by friends about only doing 1 lap again was a great motivator...ha!

Junior Girls
Place # Name AMA # Brand City, State Points Adv Laps Elapsed
1 5G Zoe Steindl KTM Sanford, FL 50 0 4 1:13:45
2 169G Haley Schell Honda Odessa, FL 47 0 3 1:14:17

After last races 2nd place, I'm left wondering if it was a fluke. Was it the course, what I ate that day, or did I seemingly get it figured out overnight? I do know at this point I'm expecting more from myself. No being satisfied with anything but first (Okay, maybe top 3's would suffice) Prior to my race a bit of weather info was passed along. "Rain is coming...30 minutes away"...oh great.

Bike fired first kick and I was 5th going into the woods. Just trying to stay calm and wait for opportunities. A rider in front of me makes a bad line choice in some mud and I've got 4th. I'm thinking I really need to push at this point because once the rain starts, everything is going to slow down. Soon enough I'm through the scoring chicane...4th place. The next lap the wind starts to pick-up and the rain starts. I'm out in the open fields as it blows through but really seems to not be an issue as it was over quickly. 2nd lap ends with me in 3rd place. Just as I'm leaving the scoring chicane I see 26C(Tom Miller) pulling in to get new goggles. I'm think "oh yeah, that was easy" as I take over 2nd place...for all of about 30 yds. As I was crossing up the other side of the first creek crossing I dump the bike, and back by goes 26C...sigh. Tom is faster in the woods, but I manage to pass him back on a big sweeping turn in the open field. I'm feeling pretty good right now as I set off to put some distance between us. The plan is working except for what seemed to be a simple dumping of my bike in a corner. I go to pull the clutch in after getting up and the lever won't budge. It seems I had rotated my bark buster/hand guard up enough the the clutch lever could fully extend. The worn out lever was now missing the piston on the master cylinder completed...aaaaagggghhhh ! I frantically pulled up and down on the lever and all of a sudden I could pull it in. I take off and head through a small creek crossing. Go to pull in the lever and..no luck. I stall it, and began to pound on the clutch master cylinder while cursing my bad luck. Tom was nice enough to dump his bike right next to me as I frantically wiggled anything in sight to get the lever to work. Manage to find the sweet spot and stagger off. Still in 2nd. Now at this point I can't count on being able to pull the lever in or not. It's truly a 1 in 10 proposition of when it'll work. Another creek crossing, stalled it and by goes Tom. At this point I'm running out of energy. The worry of stalling it is overwhelming as I roll into the scoring chicane...can I do this? Shakingly I manage to not stall it as I head out for a 4th lap, realizing I'm not in the fight for 2nd anymore, I'm just trying to survive. I down shift into 1st when I'm not sure of the corner, which makes for slow going. I'm struggling, which saps my energy. Riders from other classes are now passing me back that I had passed earlier. I tell myself in my helmet aloud "Don't screw this up you moron" I kept waiting for 3rd to come by as I took the easy split (didn't realize until I went by that the hard split had loosened up to get over easily). I head through the chicane for the last time....3rd! I was pumped that I manage to hold on and score points....but I had had 2nd !!! First place(199C-Scott Bowman) had gaped Tom in 2nd by 3 minutes, so let's hope he doesn't show up any more Hope you enjoyed the reports, now go out and ride !!!

PS. Thanks Ryan for the tip on taping my hands...no blisters !

Senior C
Place # Name AMA # Brand City, State Points Adv Laps Elapsed
1 199C Scott Bowman Yamaha Palm City, FL 50 10 4 1:42:56
2 31C Tom Miller 696207 KTM North Port, FL 47 5 4 1:45:56
3 117C Troy Stainbrook KTM Odessa, FL 45 4 4 1:46:50
4 314C Chris Reid 617543 Yamaha Lakeland, FL 43 3 4 1:47:07
5 27C Brian Brannigan 941420 Yamaha Winter Garden, FL 41 2 4 1:47:35
6 325C Frank Gamperl Yamaha Deerfield Beach, FL 40 0 4 1:47:52
7 20C Charles Nix Suzuki Inverness, FL 39 0 4 1:48:39
8 520C Sam Jarczynski Suzuki Safety Harbor, FL 38 0 4 1:49:15
9 919C Randy Bolen 987702 Kawasaki San Mateo, FL 37 0 4 1:50:19
10 818C Irvin Kelly 942897 Honda Kissimmee, FL 36 0 4 1:50:32
11 15C Kevin Vaughan KTM North Port, FL 35 0 4 1:53:43
12 40C Chris Tolken 1064511 KTM New Port Richey, FL 34 0 3 1:31:07
13 42C Brenton Teixeira KTM Key West, FL 33 0 3 1:32:03
14 469C Patrick Morrison KTM Deltona, FL 32 0 3 1:32:18
15 251C Mike Warm 2068687 Kawasaki Sarasota, FL 31 0 3 1:37:40
16 522C Kevin Witkowski Honda Sarasota, FL 30 0 3 1:46:47
17 18C Vernon Hackett 223505 KTM Port St Lucie, FL 14 0 2 0:57:27
18 369C Dan Thaler Yamaha Deerfield Beach, FL 14 0 2 1:04:13
19 704C David Sommers Honda St Petersberg, FL 14 0 2 1:04:37
DNF 82C David Schneeberger 945656 Yamaha Bradenton, FL 0 0 0 0:00:00

Total Riders in Class: 20 Total Riders in Event: 242

Senior-C #117

Tbone screwed with this post 12-14-2010 at 06:28 PM
Old 12-18-2010, 07:52 AM   #28
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,393
This is so cool.

My daughter and I did enduros together. The memories you 2 are making right now are absolutely priceless. Be sure to take lots of photos before and after races. We did not take that many and are constantly asking each other, "Why didn't we take pictures at that race?"

Tom B
Old 12-18-2010, 12:08 PM   #29
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
Awesome!

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
Old 01-20-2011, 09:19 AM   #30
Tbone OP
off-ramp slayer

HS#7 Astronaut Trail HS

This is real late... I know.

The setting for this race report is the flat and woodsy property near New Smyrna used by the Apollo Motorcycle club. The course was 5+ miles for Sat and 11+ miles for Sunday. The weather was forecast to be cold with a chance of rain on Sat. The moisture arrived just as the practice lap was ending and made for some slippery conditions for the start of Haley's race. This will be her 3rd start on the bigger bike so she's still learning to use all it has to offer. The course was one of thick woods/palms with not a lot of open areas to regroup/take a breath, so staying relaxed will be important.
The horn sounds and she's off. Not last into the 1st corner is an improvement as she disappeared into the woods. Soon enough she appears to complete the first lap and looks like she's having fun. She manages to dump it in a tight right hander just as the course enters the woods and by the way she was able to pick the bike up quickly and get going it looks like keeping her on a 2 stroke continues to be the right move.
Time passes and we start to get worried....where is she. An answer isn't far away as a friend rides up and says Haley is back at camp...mad... and minus her kick starter ! I'm soon greeted by a upset racer who is ready to fire her mechanic. Seems she stalled the bike, went to kick it and realized she was missing something. A nice course worker got her bump started. She most upset that she had to now wait 3 weeks to race again, so it seems my master plan of getting her hooked on this all is going according to plan

Junior Girls
1 5G Zoe Steindl KTM Sanford, FL 50 0 4 1:08:58
2 169G Haley Schell Honda Odessa, FL 12 0 1 0:19:08

Speaking about grand ideas, mine was going according to plan. The mist that was bothering most folks during practice has started to let up. There were only 12 riders in the class (usually 20+) due to the weather so less competition. The horn sounds and in one kick the bike fires and I'm off. Now David Davis (48C) is the hole shot king of the Senior C line. His technique is shrouded in mystery and the scuttlebutt is he never actually kills his motor for the start, he just has it idling really,really slowly So as I shoot away from the line I look over and realize with shock...I've got the holeshot! Seems David had installed a rekluse after the prior race and the slight delay it caused in his start let me get the jump on him. I decided at that moment I was going to park it next to the pole and make everyone go around me, which worked for 2 corners until David went flying around the outside of me and led the class into the woods.
Now prior to this race I was talking with Haley about how this race was going to be the one of opportunity. Tight trail meant I needed to bide my time and wait for opportunities. Don't push too hard and wreck as it would be so much work to try and pass people back.I was thinking this as I followed David into the first 1/4 mile of the trail. David took a slower line and I couldn't resist it, I passed him back and took over first. Now some of you might remember the last time I had first place and how I had the propensity to give it right back. I was passing over some seemingly routine whoops and released my grip on the throttle for a 2nd. The issue was my sticky gloves combined with some excellent grips meant for a split second the throttle had other plans. The bike and I shot off into the bushes as if we knew something the trail designers didn't, and the entire class passed me by.So much for staying cool and letting the race come to me..
It's pretty remarkable how deep a 300 can bury itself when the ham-fisted pilot blunders. After getting it back on track I knew all I could do was try and salvage something. I also learned I am now a card carrying member of the Brian Coughlin/tight trees are for enduro's way of thinking. I swear they I saw a sign that said "old enduro course" as I plowed the bars back and forth through a section that sapped what little strength I had left. I passed a few people, was forced to go out another lap and passed a few more. I managed to make it up to 6th by the end, but the course had whipped my butt. I was laughing as I pulled up and told my story to David and Tom Miller (congrats on the win Tom !!!) so I guess any race you can smile after is a good one. Should be a great one this weekend in Brooksville so see you there !!!

PS. I would thank my cheering section for the encouragement, as I really need it!

Senior C
1 31C Tom Miller 696207 KTM North Port, FL 50 10 2 1:28:23
2 48C David Davis 854296 KTM Lake City, FL 47 5 2 1:28:51
3 828C Mike Hunter 744142 Kawasaki Middleburg, FL 45 4 2 1:29:41
4 15C Kevin Vaughan KTM North Port, FL 43 3 2 1:30:19
5 919C Randy Bolen 987702 Honda San Mateo, FL 41 2 2 1:31:50
6 117C Troy Stainbrook KTM Odessa, FL 40 0 2 1:32:56
7 26C Robert Ryan 941623 Yamaha Lake Mary, FL 39 0 2 1:36:15
8 818C Irvin Kelly 942897 Honda Kissimmee, FL 38 0 2 1:37:39
9 11C Don Learn GasGas Jacksonville, FL 37 0 2 1:40:07
10 42C Brenton Teixeira KTM Key West, FL 36 0 2 1:44:55