Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2010, 01:15 AM   #31
snoopy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Already Rob ... I see the thread has been infiltrated. My Greek mate is in Serbia as I write. I had/have several issues that kept delaying the trip and then a week in I had to give up. I'm depressed thinking about it.

Primary runs in 10w40 as clutch is wet. I'll come on to that in a bit I was just running like that to check the chain was going around without tight spots.

Not many gearbox are separate to the engine these days. The Enfield conversion is so popular because of its ease.

http://www.andrewcharnley.com
snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:23 AM   #32
snoopy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

#12: reassembly

Having confirmed the chain as being sound I reinstalled the primary case and then all the footrests etc.

I forgot to add that the chain tensioner will require you to thread the hole with an M12 tap as it used the Enfield engine.

I underestimated the gasket needed behind the primary sprocket. I used 0.80mm gasket paper but it's leaking a bit. I'll probably gasket paste the rest as it doesn't get that hot or come into any pressure.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:29 AM   #33
snoopy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

#13: engine stiffening

A bar on the original engine ran to the top bracket on the frame where the tank meets. This is adjustable, only mine had seized and would require modification anyhow. I made another. Take one bit on thick steel, drill, heat and twist. I was careful to get it "tight" as it can't adjust like the original unit.

You can also see a little bracket on the cylinder fins that holds the cable together. That was the original accelerator bracket that wasn't tough enough. Under the exhaust you can just make out the new one which is on the end of a large alu spacer. It's bent three times to take strain off the cable.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:38 AM   #34
snoopy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

#13: engine cover

Having discovered just how much this engine vibes (the front wheel "pumps" ) I went back over many bolts with nylon washers and loctite. I also upped the bolt from M6 to M8 for the front engine mount (the one that connects the pieces). This and the top engine bar in #12 really settled the engine and now it's fine and moving with the frame and not inside it.

The gear shift lever needed bending. I heated it and snapped it in three places. Cast shit. So a makeshift one as a stop gap was produced.

The 9" hole needed a cover. I contemplated boy racer mesh but found a 10" cover at Maplin's for 4.99. It's not a perfect fit but you'd be hard pushed to notice. Had to be careful with the bolts if they went through just a mm too much they'd grind on the flywheel fins.

I'd forgot about the alternator. Only the electric start has one fitted. Another 37 on ebay and I had the one designed for this engine. Milling out the Enfield original is possibly but I didn't have time.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:12 AM   #35
snoopy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

#14: test ride!

I perfected the kick start technique which involves rotating the kick start a little under the peg instead of releasing as soon as it goes down.

In a plump of black smoke, noise, stinkin' diesel aroma and vibes I selected first and then set off down my driveway.

Upon which I crashed into my bottom fence.

I'd not ridden an Enfield before and my brain was still in "normal" mode. When the front brake didn't work I hit the gearshift instead of the left hand side rear brake.

The previous owner has not maintained the bike well and I'd not had time or ridden it to find this out. The front brake cable was at its maximum adjustment as the cable had stretched. It was near useless. Seemed to work just pushing it around but not good enough to stop the bike.

The clutch cable was at its maximum adjustment and needed some more give.

The gearbox would not shift down, only up. I've still to fix this one but the accumulation of these issues had me abort the trip to Serbia. I was worried enough by riding an unknown all the way there, the desperation of getting away clouding my judgement.

That didn't mean I couldn't drive it on the local roads. I could use the neutral finder to get it back to 1st if I stopped the bike. Off I set. 10mph and engine is a peach... put put put put. Open her up. 20mph. brrrrrrrrrrrr brrrrrrr ... 30 ... 40mph Left mirror starts flapping. 45mph. Enfield front lights fail. 53mph! and bollocks a slow car in the way. Come to end of road. Can't downshift. Try setting off in 4th. Works.

All speeds were by GPS. At 53mph the Enfield speedo said I was at 65mph. It's just another Enfield part that doesn't work properly.

Engine is brilliant. It put put puts up hills in 4th and is unstallable. No smoke when running and it's not so loud on the go. It's about as quick as a CB250, quicker than a CG125 but runs out of go after 50mph.

This is the stage I'm at now;

Ordered new cables for brake and clutch.
Need to sort the gearbox and design a better lever.
Need to rip-out Enfield connectors to stop the lights failing.
The Enfield handlebar controls are failing and new ones ordered.
The Enfield headlight control is failing.
Gasket up the primary oil leak.

I'll update the thread as I get it sorted and then take it for a proper ride-out.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:28 AM   #36
nanno
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Very inspirational...
nanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:47 PM   #37
Shrimpo
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy
In a plump of black smoke, noise, stinkin' diesel aroma and vibes I selected first and then set off down my driveway.

Upon which I crashed into my bottom fence.
Ah mate, LMAO.

Great story so far mate. Keep it up.
Shrimpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:48 AM   #38
danielson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Eek Engine Brackets

Yeah Snoop just saw page 2, I agree with Spartanman that welding don't look good. I reckon it will fail soon. And the steels too thin.

Though this is a stick, runs should look something like this

I would not ride that machine. Way to dangerous.

I'd remake the brackets as soon as. Use 6mm steel. Don't skimp out it aint worth it in the long run.

Make them longer so they extend the base of the feet of the engine.

The gap is too wide between your current brackets

Use a stick welder and make sure you use 316 stainless steel rods for the runs.

PS Just clocked over 2600km on mine and running well and brackets are holding up fine.

160mpg too
danielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:53 AM   #39
snoopy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

What welder did that? I doubt my MIG can do it.
Perhaps time for something with a bit more umppph.

The "bird crap" is largely on the top of sound runs (but they don't look as great as those ones). The 3mm plate I used because it's high carbon. It's stronger than the 6mm bar I bent for the top engine rod. I wonder if that is why the weld would not run properly. It did a lot better on the steel I repaired on my bike trailer.

Anyways it's in a testing period. I'm just off now to get the replacement cables and then I'll get the gearbox fixed tomorrow if I'm lucky.

Then lets hope the engine doesn't fall out.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:48 PM   #40
Loadedagain
making chips

Oddometer: 26,706
here's a mig weld i did this morning on my guzzi swingarm. the tab on top near the pivot point... i'm seeing not enough heat and too slow a wire speed in your welds there... try running the speed up to see if that helps

Stenhouse Racing - Specializing in KTM Upgrades
custom cnc service available to suit your specific needs.
Loadedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:57 PM   #41
Loadedagain
making chips

here's a close shot...

Old 09-29-2010, 06:05 AM   #42
snoopy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

What power is your MIG?

Old 09-29-2010, 06:35 AM   #43
danielson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Snoop in reply that was using a stick welder.

You may already know but with the diesel engine, run it and change the oil. Do this about every 100miles (a few times) as there is a lot of swarf and crap left in there from factory. Drain the oil screen filter too. There is alot of crap in there.

I've change my oil about seven times and cleaned the screen when the motor was not installed to the bike. There is still some crap that comes out.
danielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:58 AM   #44
Loadedagain
making chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy
What power is your MIG?
mine is 230v and 185A right now, but i had a 110v 70A years ago and it was able to push some decent heat through 5/16" steel. migs are pretty straight forward as there isn't much that can be changed. you've got wire speed, heat, and wire diameter. for 1/4" material wire about 0.025" should be good. smaller wire you wont get the heat through. if it's sparking and making those little blobs like your seem to be crank up the wire speed.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:59 AM   #45
Grider Pirate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,686
Yer killin me. You stumble across a diesel engine, like they're everywhere. Ariel Red Hunter's are common. Hell, you probably trip over old AJS's and Greeves just trying to get to a pub.
I really like the project. It looks like it will be good fun and very economical once you get it sorted.

http://griderpirate.smugmug.com/
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhum
Grider Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote