Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2010, 09:02 AM   #76
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 6,159
Tim Stafford in CA has one of these lenses on fleabay...$250.....
danedg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:09 AM   #77
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,484
The girl at the local small-town license bureau alllmmmoooost just did the paperwork, but she asked the other girl what to do on one certain step, and the deal disappeared right before my eyes. They called the capitol and were placed on hold for a long time, so I left since they were closing. They called me as I was riding home and via voicemail I was told once more that I need to go to court to obtain the title.

I've heard Alabama and Tennessee are easy places to obtain titles. I'm not suggesting anything, but if anyone in Alabama or Tennessee wanted to "buy" a 1969 /2 sidecar rig, a 1957 /2 coversion, and a 1969 VW van, title them, and sell them back to me, PM me.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:18 AM   #78
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude
Ok, now comes the "fun" part. Obtaining a title.

I bought them from a guy who got them from Oklahoma. He did a VIN/title search through OK and it came back clear.

I took this to the license bureau today while I was doing other business and just asked about the steps necessary to obtaining a title. I was told to go to the Circuit Court Clerk.

I called the Circiut Court Clerk, and the b*tch was absolutely unfriendly and unhelpful. All I got out of it was that I need a "declatory judgement." To get this, I'd need a lawyer. I called a lawyer, and he wants "$1000-$1500"!!!!

$1500 for a piece of paper? If that's the case, I'll just take the plate off my R90 and put it on the sidecar rig.

So, anyone in Old's Cool actually title a vehicle purchased without a title? Specifically, in Missouri?

I assume...like anywhere else...there are more lawyers available than one can find ammunition for....keep digging...
In NY...one can register/title a vehicle of questionable virtue/patronage as "homebuilt"...end around....
Old 10-30-2010, 10:57 AM   #79
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by danedg
Handle the Hi/Lo/Horn switch with the utmost of care. The little bugger is $200 to replace. There is a rather complicated contraption inside the housing mounted on a phenolic? plate. It's the plate that finally comes undone. The hot wire (white) to the headlight bucket/main switch goes to ground, thus burning and melting the entire left handlebar harness and who knows what else!!!! {wirewrker is already smacking his lips...but makes a very reasonably priced replacement harness....}
I personally think it was the cause for my generator failure, but thats another story.
And the moral is!
If it works, don't fix it.
If it works, don't even use it!! Leave the high/lo on high. You won't be riding after dark after witnessing the blazing lumens of that 35 watt headlight anyway!
Don't use the horn button. That's the part that pushes against the "plate", and eventually rips it asunder!
Think of it as a decoration.....made of unobtainium!!!
I'll send pictures of how I know these things
First: The dear departed plate...the teeny thing only lasted 45 years!!!!!!!!

Unt!: Ze very complicated flippenzeswitcher!

Those switches were always expensive. I think they were forty some dollars back in the late seventies? If it was OK with the customer, we use to replace them with a Hodaka horn/beam switch. They looked and worked exactly the same but they were four dollars or something WAY less back then. I am totally guessing the prices but the difference in price was a big one and the Hodaka switches worked perfectly.

I couldn't help but notice that that blue headlight has a low mileage R69S speedo in it. Pure unobtainium!

I think those side stands are Brown's? LOTS of /2's use to have them.

Elliptical fins are 600cc cylinders except for R69S cylinders. They have round fins like a 500 except they have six bolt heads and a bigger bore.

That cap is an electrical acc. socket.

I don't know from experience but the popular consensus is that alloy rims are not strong enough for hack duty. It might turn out not to be true like a lot of popular stories of such but I do not know. I believe that rumor was spread by BMW among others.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:08 AM   #80
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft
I couldn't help but notice that that blue headlight has a low mileage R69S speedo in it. Pure unobtainium!
The only difference I notice is the blue mark positions and the trip-meter knob. What else makes it an R69S speedo?

Quote:
popular consensus is that alloy rims are not strong enough for hack duty. It might turn out not to be true like a lot of popular stories of such but I do not know. I believe that rumor was spread by BMW among others.
What do other hacks use?

Old 10-30-2010, 11:50 AM   #81
supershaft
because I can

The blue marks represent red line in each gear. Those marks are higher for the R69S's higher 7000 rpm redline.

Steel rims.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:34 PM   #82
vernon dent
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
mr n.
a guy i see at the gym every morning got his no title h-d knucklehead titled through mo.
p.m. me and i'll give you the 411. no lawyer, no bs, all for the cost of a title application
vernon dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 02:44 PM   #83
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

PM'ed.

I've spent some time today reading over the official process for an "Application for Title/Certificate of Ownership" under Missouri law, Section 301.190.

Basically, there's no real reason for them to have turned me away today or any other time. The only document I could use to really be by the book is a $27.50 document "Vehicle Examination Certificate" DOR-551. (I assumed it would be
"Application for Vehicle/Trailer Identification Number Plate of Verification" Form 5062.) I think I will schedule an appointment with the local HP soon (when my truck is working again and I can haul these over there).

Old 10-30-2010, 04:32 PM   #84
Barebow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
This looks almost identical to the horn/dimmer switch on the 1968-1970 Yamaha enduros (DT1, CT1, and AT1). Does the BMW version have just one screw in the bottom that holds it on? The Yamaha piece that it mounts to is different but the switch and housing may be the same. It also doesn't have the ribs on the switches. The Yamahaone is rare but nothing compared to the /2 one. If you didn't need an exact OEM one, it may work.

The Yamaha part no. is: 214-83975-09-00

[/quote]
1970 Yamaha RT1
Barebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:36 PM   #85
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barebow
This looks almost identical to the horn/dimmer switch on the 1968-1970 Yamaha enduros (DT1, CT1, and AT1). Does the BMW version have just one screw in the bottom that holds it on? The Yamaha piece that it mounts to is different but the switch and housing may be the same. It also doesn't have the ribs on the switches. The Yamahaone is rare but nothing compared to the /2 one. If you didn't need an exact OEM one, it may work.

The Yamaha part no. is: 214-83975-09-00

[/quote]

I LIKE this noob!!!!!!!!!
Got pics???
Thanks man!!!!!
Old 10-30-2010, 04:46 PM   #86
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Details....

...the lens is upside down....the nub points down...there's a slot in the trim ring to match.....the HELLA insignia will then be readable.....
Old 10-30-2010, 04:57 PM   #87
Barebow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Here's a photo I had filed away. If you want more views let me know and I can take some photos of a cleaned and working one of mine tomorrow.

[IMG][/IMG]
1970 Yamaha RT1
Barebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:59 PM   #88
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Thanks for the tip.

Probably need to know the dimensions on it to see if it'll fit.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:12 PM   #89
Trail'R
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Good luck using the Rolla DMV. I use to frequent them when I was there in the 90's and never had any luck. Just wait until the next election and you will see the staff turnover and then give it another go.
Trail'R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:56 PM   #90
supershaft
because I can

I bet the Yamaha one is the same dimension. I think you can still get the Hodaka one from Strickly Hodaka.