User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2010, 08:04 AM   #1
matthelimech OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Durability of Rev'It?

Anyone have any durability issues? I have a pair of Dakar pants that are 2 years old and the seams at the knees and thighs are coming undone. No get offs or tears, but its like the material is unraveling at the stitching. I love the gear, but I would think they would hold up a little better, or is 2 years all they will last?
I talked to rev'it and they recommended sending them to a place in Wa. to repair, but by the time I ship them, pay for the repairs and ship back it may not be worth it. Anyone else have any issues or ideas?
matthelimech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:42 AM   #2
HowlingMad
drags knuckles

Oddometer: 1,350
I'm fairly amazed at how well my Cayenne pants and jacket have held up. My only complaint on the coat is the little elastic thing on the collar has lost its spirit. It's held up every bit as well as my BMW Rallye setup.

HowlingMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:16 PM   #3
Wanderer1
Tuesday

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthelimech
Anyone have any durability issues? I have a pair of Dakar pants that are 2 years old and the seams at the knees and thighs are coming undone. No get offs or tears, but its like the material is unraveling at the stitching. I love the gear, but I would think they would hold up a little better, or is 2 years all they will last?
I talked to rev'it and they recommended sending them to a place in Wa. to repair, but by the time I ship them, pay for the repairs and ship back it may not be worth it. Anyone else have any issues or ideas?
Same pants, same issue I'm afraid - started less than a year after purchase.
Wanderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:31 PM   #4
StarFleet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
My Revit mesh jacket I bought 5 years ago has had a couple problems about 2 years into owning it. The liner sleeves snaps have almost all broken, and the velcro closure on the sleeve is gotten all fuzzy (from the velcro pulling it up). Really early on the reflective material on the zipper pockets on front wore off. Seemed like a really bone head move to put the reflective material right by moving parts.

I have got my eye on a Cayenne jacket and maybe pants but I'd like it to hold up a little better then this mesh jacket.
StarFleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:33 PM   #5
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,205
I've got some wear on the cuff of my infinity suit where it chafes the inside of my gloves' gaunlets.
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:00 PM   #6
Jim Glauz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
A chap advertized a Revit suit (Cayenne Jacket and Pants) on Craigs list, for free, just get them out of my garage he said. He was tired of looking at them and was frustrated with the company. The company did not stand behind the equipment he said. They were coming apart at the seams in numerous places. He bought the suit about 5 years ago. If I recall correctly after the first wash they started to come apart. He told me not to wash them as it caused the seams to unravel. I used the suit for a few months then sent them down the road to the next inmate looking for a free suit. That is my experiance with Revit .
Jim Glauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:02 PM   #7
keiji
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040
If you don't tag the edges of your superfabric on the Cayenne Pro with some contact cement, it'll lift off when you wash it. Yes, I washed it by hand, in cold water.

The two pictures on the right show a thin line of contact cement(applied with a toothpick). It is much easier to see on the black as I was lazy. The glue that was originally there washed away after the first wash. Eventually you will get what is on the bottom if you don't apply additional glue to the edges..

At its worst, you get this:

Notice anything missing?

The whole smaller "section" of superfabric lifted off. The picture isn't very good because I didn't want to drip water all over the floor, and I was too "WTF" to take another. Luckily I was able to iron them back on, but it didn't stop the corners from lifting over time. The reflective stripes will lift off too, but ironing them will keep them back on for a much longer time.

It was later replaced with two months left on the warranty for another problem. Since the warranty has run out on the original jacket (Warranty replacements don't get their own warranties right?), I am VERY careful washing it now.

Regardless, those damn corners lifted off the first time I washed the replacement. It was around then I figured out the contact cement trick. Kind of silly that I have to do this at all on a $580 jacket and $400 pair of pants though.

I am curious if they will have fixed this on the new Defender, as it has a LOT of corners on its superfabric!

Don't wash it
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:16 PM   #8
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,890
My Air jacket is going strong as it nears the end of its second summer. The mesh has gotta bit fuzzy but other than that its been great, hope I didn't just jinx it. Had a few off-road biffs with it but no crashes on anything solid or at significant speed.

My rotor pants were nearly as old and worn maybe 1/4 as much, the knee blew out on a parking lot low side (too much throttle + too much lean goofing off), nary a scratch to me but I was surprised how quickly it gave out. Hope the jacket is better put together...
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:44 AM   #9
Hootowl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Glauz
They were coming apart at the seams in numerous places. .
The fabric on earlier Rev'it gear wasn't hot cut, hence the unraveling at seams. I don't know if the later gear is hot cut or not.
Anyone know?

'07 990A
Parting '98 1100GS. Need Anything?
Hootowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:53 PM   #10
matthelimech OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
sent an e-mail to revit to see if they will do anything. I like the gear, but if it won't hold up more than 2 years considering what it cost, I may consider BMW gear. I realize the warranty is only 1 year, but it shouldn't come unraveled this soon.
matthelimech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:00 PM   #11
keiji
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootowl
The fabric on earlier Rev'it gear wasn't hot cut, hence the unraveling at seams. I don't know if the later gear is hot cut or not.
Anyone know?
Doesn't look like it, at least on my Cayenne Pro. At least some of the seams are overlocked now.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:36 PM   #12
Badger278
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Hey there inmates,

There are a few things that can lead to fabric unraveling. As you know, all cordura is a woven fabric which can be protected from unraveling in several ways.

We always coat the fabric (interior) with poly-urethane which in addition to providing some resistance against soaking, protects the integrity of the fabric seam allowance.

Unraveling is rarely caused by broken stitching, but occurs on the extra fabric near the inside edge. This PU coating is extremely sensitive to detergent, which breaks down the coating and can cause this problem.

This is the main reason that we recommend hand washing in a "special" soap such as Nikwax Tekwash. NOTE: The WORST thing you can do is use Woolite, as this causes complete disintegration of the PU coating.

We at REV'IT! have further assured against unraveling by using an overlock stitch on all cordura seams, on all clothing products for the last two years.

The Dakar pant was the last item in the collection which was prone to unraveling when washed incorrectly. This being said, we sold thousands of Dakar pants, and the number of warranty issues related to unraveling was less than .2 percent of the volume sold. That being said, we fully stand behind our products, and will gladly replace any item which has an unraveling issue which was not washed incorrectly (we can easily tell if the item was mishandled by inspecting the PU coating) providing that the pant is within the warranty period.

We have designed and produced products for all forms of riding and racing, and have seen just about every type of crash, snag or abuse. We endeavor to improve our products at every step, and a clear example is that the Sand pant, which replaced Dakar included many improvements including double fabric on the seat, overlock stitching, double and triple stitching on impact areas, bar tacks on high wear areas, improved liner connections, and several other improvements.

We understand that as a premier brand we are held to a high standard, and we have all confidence that our desire to improve will result in better products in all of the price ranges we support.

We employ an outside quality control firm SGS Controls http://www.sgs.com/ and every production run of every product is now checked against the quality standard we set. This has also been the case for two years.

Of course, every company has occasional warranty issues, but I give my promise that we will do everything in our power to provide a quick repair or replacement should an issue arise.

That being said, please remember that all clothing items are "wearable" items that over time will wear out. As an ADV rider myself, I know I can bend, break or ruin just about anything, so be gentle guys, and remember, we're a brand that loves and supports the sport, and all we ask in return is a little bit of understanding.

Cheers,
Jordan

2010 R1200GSA 30 Years Edition
2009 HRC RS125 (race bike)
"It all started with that damb BMX bike" Mom

Badger278 screwed with this post 09-28-2010 at 02:16 PM
Badger278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:56 PM   #13
space
a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer: 2,600
Wearable item? I don't know about that!

My Off Track / Dakar outfit has about 30,000 miles on it, including its share of get offs (all dirt) and other normal abuse. I've also hand washed them ... oh, every 8,000 miles or so ... maybe I should do that more frequently! But they're pretty stained, so they always look dirty, regardless of washing.

That said, they haven't had a single broken zipper, torn seam, or other sign of wear aside from the elastic loop that secures the collar getting stretched out. They are still as water-resistant as they ever were. (They were never waterproof -- anything short of a rain suit isn't when the rain really starts coming down.)

I am very, very impressed with this two-piece suit.
space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:20 PM   #14
keiji
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger278
This is the main reason that we recommend hand washing in a "special" soap such as Nikwax Tekwash. NOTE: The WORST thing you can do is use Woolite, as this causes complete disintegration of the PU coating.
Jordan, I washed my first Cayenne Pro(since replaced) in Nikwax's Techwash(cold water). I soaked it, went to lunch, and came back. It lifted the glue from the superfabric right off. Incidentally, it also lifted the seam tape from my Olympia AST right off too, but I washed that in hand hot water.

I had originally thought that it was the hot water that did it, but nope, Nikwax does a real good job of cleaning glue off, and the warning on their website is no joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikwax Website
Faulty taped seams sometimes become detached on old or worn garments.
Just some food for thought, since you guys are coming out with a new set using Superfabric.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:44 PM   #15
Badger278
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
It looks like we might have to evaluate recommending Nikwax then. I'll look into it straight away.

A cleaning product which removes glue? Every tent, ourdoor shell or motorcycle jacket uses glue on seams. Just what are they "Tek" washing then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keiji
Jordan, I washed my first Cayenne Pro(since replaced) in Nikwax's Techwash(cold water). I soaked it, went to lunch, and came back. It lifted the glue from the superfabric right off. Incidentally, it also lifted the seam tape from my Olympia AST right off too, but I washed that in hand hot water.

I had originally thought that it was the hot water that did it, but nope, Nikwax does a real good job of cleaning glue off, and the warning on their website is no joke.

Just some food for thought, since you guys are coming out with a new set using Superfabric.

2010 R1200GSA 30 Years Edition
2009 HRC RS125 (race bike)
"It all started with that damb BMX bike" Mom
Badger278 is offline   Reply With Quote