Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2010, 04:02 PM   #16
MCMXCIVRS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,218
My Dakar pants are coming apart also. These are my second pair, the first set seemed to be of better quality but were destroyed in a slide. They had no signs of any sort of problem until the roadrash tore them up. They did well in that event with no seam failures either, just general rips and abraisions.

This second pair which were purchased to replace the first have stood up poorly. Several of the seams in the legs are failing and the interior one of the pockets has also pulled apart and is good for little else other than losing things. I've patched them up a bit as best I could myself as they are no longer under warranty. I've always washed according to the instructions.

My Off Track jacket which was purchased along with the pants is holding up fine with no indication of any failures or problems. Both have had exactly the same wear and treatment, so I suspect this is a manufacturing issue with the pants. None of the seams on the pants appear to have the overlock stitching, and on the ones that have failed, the fabric has clearly unravelled. Obviously relying on some sort of frail easily damaged coating to prevent this was a poor decision by Revit.

Since they are out of the warranty period I don't expect I'll get any repairs or replacement from Revit. I'll probably just look at replacing them with something else. I'll probably buy the BMW gear next time.
MCMXCIVRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:15 PM   #17
rider1150gsadv
Fl Keys Fishing Guide

Oddometer: 5,912
Sport-Wash available at Wallyworld aka Chinamart aka Walmart, is a great USA made product to wash you gear in. My BMW RP2 suit has over 80K miles on it and only shows some fading, due to sunexposure, as a major wear issue aside from the velcro wearing out which is easily replaced by a good seamstress.
I am not a huge fan of Nikwax products as a whole, because they are overpriced and don't nearly clean as well as they should for the money, the exception being their downwash for sleepingbags..
I do use a large capacity frontloading laundry machine that has a sportsequipment washing cycle...

PS: I have zero vested interest in the Sport-Wash product..
rider1150gsadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:29 PM   #18
Badger278
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
It might be the case that the first pair of Dakar were a later production date with overlock stitching, and the replacement pair was older stock.

In any case, we hope that you would consider the fact that we have improved the product (Sand Pant). Please contact me directly and we'll make it right. No need to threaten us with buying another brand or slam us online in order to get a response. We're good guys...really. Just call us, we don't bite. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMXCIVRS
My Dakar pants are coming apart also. These are my second pair, the first set seemed to be of better quality but were destroyed in a slide. They had no signs of any sort of problem until the roadrash tore them up. They did well in that event with no seam failures either, just general rips and abraisions.

This second pair which were purchased to replace the first have stood up poorly. Several of the seams in the legs are failing and the interior one of the pockets has also pulled apart and is good for little else other than losing things. I've patched them up a bit as best I could myself as they are no longer under warranty. I've always washed according to the instructions.

My Off Track jacket which was purchased along with the pants is holding up fine with no indication of any failures or problems. Both have had exactly the same wear and treatment, so I suspect this is a manufacturing issue with the pants. None of the seams on the pants appear to have the overlock stitching, and on the ones that have failed, the fabric has clearly unravelled. Obviously relying on some sort of frail easily damaged coating to prevent this was a poor decision by Revit.

Since they are out of the warranty period I don't expect I'll get any repairs or replacement from Revit. I'll probably just look at replacing them with something else. I'll probably buy the BMW gear next time.

2010 R1200GSA 30 Years Edition
2009 HRC RS125 (race bike)
"It all started with that damb BMX bike" Mom
Badger278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:09 PM   #19
StarFleet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Something about someone from Revit addressing concerns makes me want to continue buying Revit gear.

Call me a sucker, but I love that kinda stuff.

Any of you folks over at Revit have any cayenne pro jackets *cough* that need taken off your hands *cough* ?
StarFleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:20 PM   #20
Badger278
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Not just someone at REV'IT! I'm a GS riding, Husky mudding, card carrying ADVrider. Oh, and the boss. ;)

The truth is, we love you guys. You're the ones who allow us to have such a bitchin job to ride to each day. So thanks for your support.

2010 R1200GSA 30 Years Edition
2009 HRC RS125 (race bike)
"It all started with that damb BMX bike" Mom
Badger278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:20 PM   #21
abhorred
not really

Oddometer: 218
Something about someone from rev it coming here to tell me all the money I spent on their crap gear a few years ago was me paying their development costs pisses me off. I'll never buy rev it again. Ever.

People have been sewing cordura forever and it took them until 2008 to discover overlock stitching? Really? Nice manufacturing cost tradeoff. I'll stick with companies that actually know how to make garments v. 'design' them.

Sorry, bad day rant, but two pairs of pants, one jacket, one of those nightmare one piece suits and two pairs of gloves...issues with all... versus my rukka suit and stitch which are perfect three years later.

The OP asked about rev it durability. Just my opinion and experience here.

abhorred screwed with this post 09-28-2010 at 05:43 PM
abhorred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:23 PM   #22
keiji
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger278
It looks like we might have to evaluate recommending Nikwax then. I'll look into it straight away.

A cleaning product which removes glue? Every tent, ourdoor shell or motorcycle jacket uses glue on seams. Just what are they "Tek" washing then?
Haven't a clue!

I do remember a warning from Aerostich regarding it in the past, although I can't find it on their current site. I thought they were joking until it happened to me. As you can see from my previous picture, it lifted clean off, with no glue residue on the jacket.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=19

I still use technical washes though, because powdered detergents do muck up DWR's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider1150gsadv
Sport-Wash available at Wallyworld
I moved onto sport wash as well. It is cheap, and readily available, and does a great job on all my technical fabrics. I use a half dose juuuust in case. I get close to 36 loads per $5.48 compared to the 3 for an $8 bottle of tech wash.

It hasn't ruined any of my clothes yet either, so I consider that a plus .
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:34 PM   #23
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,815
This thread may end up in Vendors if the RevIt director is here to answer legitimate questions.. Trolling will not be tolerated.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:47 PM   #24
univibe88
Slidell4Life

Oddometer: 2,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarFleet
Something about someone from Revit addressing concerns makes me want to continue buying Revit gear.
I agree. Integrity goes a long way.

"I like my ride plans like my women...loosely put together with a chance of getting wet."
univibe88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:58 PM   #25
Fredfredburger
CTRL ALT DEL

Oddometer: 569
Been wearing RevIt about every day for the past two years, Cayanne Pro Jacket and Pants and Turbine Jacket and Pants for the cooler/hotter parts of the year. I ride nearly every day to work.
Have a couple of pairs of RevIt gloves also.

No durability problems with my gear.

I have a riding buddy that went down at very high speed (100+) in RevIt gear and only suffered minor injuries. I trust the gear and like that the company will stand behind their product.
YMMV

cheers
Old 09-28-2010, 08:06 PM   #26
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,141
Quote:
...and all we ask in return is a little bit of understanding.

Cheers,
Jordan
You had me until this statement.

I have been toying with the notion of a Cayenne jacket and comparable pants for the better part of two years now, but have held off because of the dearth of retail outlets anywhere near me where I can look at one in the flesh (not a gripe, just background info).

The above statement turns me off on this notion because it implies that the buyer should take one for the team and accept the existence of QC/ product development issues. If Rev'it products were sold at Walmart prices, I would be apt to do so, but at the price (not yet) paid, this rationalization is unacceptable.

IMHO.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:53 PM   #27
MCMXCIVRS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,218
Quote:
It might be the case that the first pair of Dakar were a later production date with overlock stitching, and the replacement pair was older stock.

In any case, we hope that you would consider the fact that we have improved the product (Sand Pant). Please contact me directly and we'll make it right. No need to threaten us with buying another brand or slam us online in order to get a response. We're good guys...really. Just call us, we don't bite. :)
I'm really not bashing Revit. I am quite pleased with the jacket and was really pleased with how the whole suit protected me in my crash. I was impressed that the Revit folks gave me a discount on the replacement suit too. As the suit in now two years old, I figured I was out of luck on the warranty. I bought my Revit gear out of the US back when no one carried it up here in Canada. Now that there is a dealer network up here, I expect I fall into a grey area for warranty even if the suit was within the coverage period. I doubt the Canadian folks would be helpful in getting me warranty on a two year old pair of pants the I didn't even buy from them. I don't know if you as the US rep can step on thier toes and territory.

As for threatening to buy another brand, well I really do like the look of the new BMW Trailguard suit, and if I were in the market right now, it would be a top contender regardless. Just stating the facts, not making threats.
MCMXCIVRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:15 PM   #28
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by keiji
If you don't tag the edges of your superfabric on the Cayenne Pro with some contact cement, it'll lift off when you wash it. Yes, I washed it by hand, in cold water.

The two pictures on the right show a thin line of contact cement(applied with a toothpick). It is much easier to see on the black as I was lazy. The glue that was originally there washed away after the first wash. Eventually you will get what is on the bottom if you don't apply additional glue to the edges..

At its worst, you get this:

Notice anything missing?

The whole smaller "section" of superfabric lifted off. The picture isn't very good because I didn't want to drip water all over the floor, and I was too "WTF" to take another. Luckily I was able to iron them back on, but it didn't stop the corners from lifting over time. The reflective stripes will lift off too, but ironing them will keep them back on for a much longer time.

It was later replaced with two months left on the warranty for another problem. Since the warranty has run out on the original jacket (Warranty replacements don't get their own warranties right?), I am VERY careful washing it now.

Regardless, those damn corners lifted off the first time I washed the replacement. It was around then I figured out the contact cement trick. Kind of silly that I have to do this at all on a $580 jacket and $400 pair of pants though.

I am curious if they will have fixed this on the new Defender, as it has a LOT of corners on its superfabric!

Don't wash it
Wait...wait...WAIT!

Are you saying that this piece, that is kinda supposed to protect you in a face plant I imagine, will lift off the pants at the first wash?!

Wow
Old 09-28-2010, 10:01 PM   #29
keiji
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster
Wait...wait...WAIT!

Are you saying that this piece, that is kinda supposed to protect you in a face plant I imagine, will lift off the pants at the first wash?!

Wow
It sounds really bad when you say it like that . To be fair, I am the only one I have ever heard of this happening this badly, although others have had the edges start lifting up(first picture). Ultimately, I think it is because the super-fabric is relatively stiff compared to the base fabric.

Fresh from the factory, all "bonded" pieces have a little bit of glue on the outside. In a way, this glue is like a stress relief-it spreads the force required to hold the bonded edge to the face fabric over a greater area. This is a picture of a reflective bit that still has it.

At this point, that glue is just kind of hanging in space-it isn't even connected to the cordura anymore. Since the reflective stuff is pretty flexible, it doesn't lift up much after that. After the first wash, the excess glue around the super-fabric was gone.

However, since the superfabric is so "stiff," it pulls on the glue every time there is a bend at its edge. This happens when you wear it and when you wash it. It is quite possible that the cleaner I used lifted the glue right off in the second picture.

For any particular crash, I don't see it as a problem, as the rest of the fabric is stuck on pretty well. It is just over time, say, several years, more and more will lift off if nothing is done, and the rest of the glue will get contaminated by dirt.

I had the SF lift off at the corners on 2 jackets and 1 pair of pants. Now, I just run a small bead of (permanent) glue around the edges as a 'fillet'. It doesn't look as pretty, but what can you do?
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:04 PM   #30
StarFleet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
A whole bunch of wet blankets in this thread. In the age of giant faceless corporations a rep from a company is seeking feedback and answering questions. I for one like having an ear in a company who makes products I am in the market for.

To all those getting pissy and entitled about this let me ask you this, what gear company do you run?
StarFleet is offline   Reply With Quote